Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Online Coop run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
The sound for all the segments is only coming out of the right channel.

Quality (Gameplay)
Chapter 1-1
Well, right away they make an error by not showing the difficulty that it’s being played on.
They don’t do the pausing trick in the escape house which saves 10 seconds.

Chapter 1-2
They don’t use that rocket launcher shot to blow the lock off the gate from a distance, and they have to go around.
Well, at least they know about that furnace room trick.

Chapter 2-1
They get hit by a dog while opening a gate, they take two shots at the truck when they only needed one, they miss a shot on the lock while standing right in front of it.
At least they know of the port key trick.
There’s a faster way to do the blowing of the lock involving aiming the grenade launcher at the roof in front of the doors.

Chapter 2-2
Misses a shot on an explosive while standing right in front of it.
They shouldn’t have stopped at the bridge section to fight the bad guys. They simply could have used a flash grenade.
They also use a rocket launcher at the crank part when the guy playing as Chris should have been pressing himself against the gate as it opened to get through as soon as possible.
I don’t think the guy playing as Chris knew he should keep shooting with the rocket launcher to help the guy playing as Sheva damage the bat boss quicker. I’ve finished that thing off faster on solo play-throughs.

Chapter 2-3 (The lamest part of the game)
Why the heck is the guy playing as Sheva even bothering to go for the archers? As soon as those plagas come out of Ndesu, all fire should be focused on them.

Chapter 3-1
On their way back from the isolated medal piece, they bump the raft into the corner and stop. I know it was somewhat of a cheap shot, but they still should have restarted.
It happens again on the way to the next one too. The restart is now mandatory.

Chapter 3-2
The guy playing as Chris should have just jumped to the raft right away, paused the game, and selected “Restart from checkpoint”, which would have gotten rid of all the bad guys and saved them from taken time to defeat all of them.
Alright, after being blown down in an explosion and forced to heal should have been a restart.
He also gets hit from behind by a shovel guy, and stops to kill some other guys.

Chapter 3-3
While going to the other lever, the guy playing as Chris gets hit by something, costing some time.

Chapter 4-1 (The Tomb Raiding part)
Nothing to complain about here actually. They even manage to kill the bat boss in one hit.

Chapter 4-2
The guy playing as Sheva gets turned around and heads the wrong way for a few steps.
There's also a minor screw-up during the last mirror part.

Chapter 5-1
Nothing to complain about here either, but it is the second shortest chapter in the game.

Chapter 5-2
The guy playing as Sheva gets hit by a flash grenade and flinches from an explosion in the missile area.
He also gets caught on a corner in the Reaper area.

Chapter 5-3
Surprisingly, most of the stuff is handled pretty well in this chapter.
I can’t complain about their Wesker strategy too much, even though I know there is a faster way to do it involving hiding behind a pillar while he goes after the other player and launching a rocket at him that way.
Their Jill strategy isn’t bad either (even though they screw it up at one point), but there is a faster way to do it with that low-powered machine gun. You have to keep shooting one bullet at a time at Jill, the first to stun her, the second to hit the device when she turns back towards you. It’s difficult, but it is faster.

Chapter 6-1
Since one of them gets trapped in the cage, I’m temped not to watch this any further. It’s a planned event, but it can be skipped by killing the guy on the crane.

Chapter 6-2
Oh wow. Such a short chapter and they still screw it up badly. For starters, you don’t need to duck at all for any of the three main duck queues, and it’s faster not to. Simply back up a little and then run forward as soon as Uroboros is done coming forward. You can actually just run by the second one completely, which the guy playing as Chris gets hit by and has to heal!
Also, for the guy holding the bridge keycard, just blast him up close and you can prevent his transformation.

Chapter 6-3
Now this Wesker strategy I can complain about quite a bit, in that they have no strategy at all. They simply try to shoot him and he dodges most of the shots, they take the time to damage him to the point of him falling down, then they rocket launcher him, only for the guy being Sheva to blow himself backwards in the explosion. I can take Wesker out in about a quarter of the time they do, by myself.
At least they know of the rocket strategy which takes off three phases from the next fight.

Timing
Adding up all the chapter times, the overall time is 1:27:48

Importance
This is slower than the current record by over a minute and a half, and that wasn’t even a co-op run, which has so many benefits compared to the A.I. in the solo mode. Strategy needs to be worked out quite a bit in many areas and there are many common-knowledge tricks that should have been used to save time. Rejection of this run is the only answer to this problem for now. Whether or not these guys choose to fix it is up to them.

Quote:
Resident Evil 5 SS IL runs

Play quality: The runners in this video have no knowledge of any RE5 tricks or basic gameplay elements. They are just as inexperienced at speedrunning with sloppy zig zag running and bad at games with poorly handled boss fights. This makes the run hard to watch and it is nearly 20 minutes slower than optimal. Virtually every second of these videos feature a mistake, the only thing they get right are the QTE cutscenes which they can't mess up anyway(Oh wait, they messed up a QTE in 2-3). They made no effort to search online for tricks even with a huge database of info and videos on youtube.This is a really bad run but features some hilarious mistakes which are noted in the chapter review.

Speedrun Type: The runner describes this as being a "Resident Evil 5, US version, Xbox 360, Hard Drive Installed, XBL, Normal Difficulty, Infinite Ammo, Default Controller, NTSC, Online Co-Op, Segmented." Run. In reality, it is a collection of SS IL runs that have no continuity between each other. Why US version and NTSC need to be listed twice with no version differences shows what little they know about this game. Nearly every chapter has inconsistencies with weapons and the only way to properly segment a RE5 run is to use the continue system. They just wipe the difficulty grade every chapter. The other player's perspective isn't recorded so we have no idea what he is doing for many parts of the run. Running normal is also stupid since only amateur and professional are worth running since there are four different difficulties and normal and veteran are basically the same. The runner says to look at the leaderboards to see their times..yet on ch 2 they have two different partners and times. WTF is that about. 

Audio/Video quality: The Av is the best part of the run. Because with a run this bad, you think to yourself "well at least it wasn't a webcam recording of a VHS tape." It is recorded using some sort of 21st century device..perhaps a dazzle or a dvd recorder. This guy must have the setting all the way to bottom because it is really blurry and and the fine lines looks fuzzy. The audio in 5-3 is really messed up and keeps changing channels.

Detailed chapter review:
Part 1(1-1): Watching this I got a general idea of how bad this run was going to be. The guy zigs and zags like crazy and loses the lead twice even though he started ahead of his partner. Sometimes it seems like hes going out of his way to make turns look as painful as possible. They miss a bunch of door runs. Is he playing on a keyboard? How can someone mess up running in a straight line? Who told these guys that the two worst guns in the game is a good for a speeedrun? They obviously don't know how the public assembly section works..not attempting to do any fast executioner tricks and waiting forever to cross the fence which triggers the timer to count down to end this level.Whatever they do after they cross the fence doesn't matter time-wise, but its not pretty to watch. They get grabbed a few times which is sad since they have unlimited ammo. The guy taunts a bunch of times and I wonder if he is taunting the majini, or taunting us the viewer for watching such a crappy speedrun. 8:41..a pretty garbage time but ironically it is only 20 seconds from a decent run, and not minutes like the other chapters.
Part 2(1-2): HUGE INCONSISTENCY HERE! They ended 1-1 with some damage on them and the chris player had a grenade launcher equipped. Now they are fully healed and he has a shotgun. Ok, the first running part. The sheva player opts to make really wide turns instead of cutting the corners. Next section, the sheva player waits for his partner to kick the doors instead of running through it. Poor running here but I wouldn't expect these guys to do anything good. They dont attempt or probably don't even know the RL trick for the lock in the section with the blond lady, then the chris player takes too long to get to the door. REALLY UGLY AND EMBARRASING MISTAKE! The sheva player runs the wrong way after the door, then has to turn around and go the right way. How can someone get lost in such a short chapter? Somehow, he catches up to the chris player who does a really bad ass move on the stairs. Instead of trying to cut the corner on the stairs..he runs straight ahead and does a full 180 turn. It's like hes saying "who cares that this is slow. I look like a total bad ass doing this 180 turn!". The sheva player stops alot for unexplainable reasons in this chapter. Ok they don't know the quick rocket launcher trick, I guess its expected at this point that they don't know anything about this game. 3:14 on 1-2..about 20 seconds from optimal. It will only get worse from here..
Part 3 (2-1): Last chapter, sheva ended with a RL, now she has a shotgun. I guess they aren't making any attempt to pass this off a full game speedrun at this point. There strategy for taking out the traps is to use their shotguns and get stunned from the blast..really stupid and it wastes time. Oh wow, the sheva got hit by a dog..thats terrible. And then the chris got hit by something also. The sheva zig zags like crazy after the truck and loses a huge lead she had to his partner. They miss two lock shots and even though the sheva climbed up the ladder first...he waits for his partner to go get the key..Of course they wouldn't try to do any of the key tricks or anything..but having the first player to wait at the door is really stupid. Ok next section, the sheva stops to shot a whole 3 majini in the second floor of the building..then it takes him 3 whole tries to get the grenade shot. How these guys would know a sequence break is beyond me, and how he would only know the slowest and most primitive form of this trick is strange. His running afterwards is terrible and triggers his partner to say hurry twice and rightfully so. Next section he gets confused as to where he is and goes the wrong way for the first second. Ok they get the QTE right but why wouldn't they? 4:40..about a minute and 10 seconds from optimal..At this point the run is getting bad and it will get even worse soon.
Part 4 (2-2): They ended with a grenade and rocket launcher and now have shotguns. OH WOW they actually did a door run! too bad chris is supposed to kick the door since he starts way ahead of sheva. The shooting of the traps is really terrible and they miss the last two traps.They keep trading leads and have to start and stop a bunch of times. Ok, now to the mines. He picks up the lantern..well that isn't surprising. He shoots the first majini for no reason at all. The chris player has to wait after the bridge for the sheva to come and waste more time shooting enemies that you can run past. They take a really slow route to get to the switch. The chris player takes too long on the crank..then he picks up gold before the elevator. The running in the canyon part is really bad. Worst than normal even. The chris had a huge lead but he loses it shooting two enemies for no reason. They switch weapons after the dumpster and the sheva has to do it twice. They shoot popokarim a whole 5 times, a boss that can be killed in 1 shot especially on normal. This includes missed shots also. 4:37 close to a minute slower than optimal.
Part 5 (2-3): There is no running in this part, so they can't fuck it up too badly right?? Instead of aiming at the enemies, the guy wiggles the gun around a lot for no reason. OH WOW they missed a QTE. Couldn't press A fast enough eh? The guy doesn't know where to aim in the next part which suggests that they haven't played this chapter very much. More of the wiggly aiming.They don't miss the next QTE thankfully. Instead of trying to blow up the truck which is the main objective..the sheva player kills majini instead. He is also randomly shooting the air now. Ndesu time. The guy keeps pausing his shots for no reason at all..it refreshs after the cutscene. Instead of getting the barrel before the CS..they get it after. He misses the barrel a bunch of time against the archers and manages to get it after they are already dead. This could be over a minute and 20 seconds faster..if they attempted a one phase ndesu. I'm sure they don't know a one phase ndesu fight is possible.
Part 6 (3-1):Ended the last part with double RL's now have they have a handcannon and the chris player switches to the shotgun right away. Even though chris starts ahead and should get the piece..the sheva gets it instead. The chris has to stop completely for the turn into the gate..even though you can get through at full speed. He then takes  a really slow route to the pier and fucks it up horribly multiple times. The idiot sheva player trys to shoot a harmless enemy even though his partner ran past him with the piece the misses the prompt to get on the boat. More sloppy driving including driving into a wall twice and getting lost on the way to the next pier. He got the the shot on the archer in 1 try..that's good i guess. Instead of coming out  to clear the crocs for the sheva player. He waits at the boat entire time(and the chris player is the one that should be running!). Poor driving to the next pier, then the chris plants a mine and they  both hop the fence which is slower. The mine doesn't help since they have to zig zag around the enemies anyway. He takes a really slow route around some obstacles and then the chris takes a hour to examine the door to get to the next area. The chris takes a left instead of the right which is really stupid. It doesn't matter since the sheva is so slow that the chris gets the rocket shot before her anyway. The chris player actually shoots a rocket that stops the sheva from operating the crank. I can't believe I'm watching this shit. 6:35..a minute slower than optimal.
Part 7 (3-2): This is really awful..they are constantly switching leads and are do so many stupid things it is not cute anymore. This is painful to watch at this point..the chris player kills a bunch of enemies instead of getting on the raft and that takes forever. Then we have to wait for the chris player to run all the way to the door. We can't see what he is doing but we will have to assume he is doing a really shitty job. The oil field part is so poorly done, possible the absolute worst I seen so far. The strat is really stupid and takes too long. On top of that, the guy gets hit a bunch of times and almost dies. He doesn't use the zipline ASAP and gets hit some more and stops to shoot two enemies and takes way too long doing it. This is really really ugly. They must not now that this section has a timer that starts when you kill all of the enemies. Instead of using the RL. He takes a hour spamming the shotgun while the chris does nothing. They are both facing the wrong way when the elevator opens, I guess they didn't know what josh meant by "almost got it". They also didn't know that this part has a timer that starts when you get josh to the console..because they take their sweet time killing enemies on the to the console. He shoots the door for no reason and actually is too slow to examine the door. They both run into a railing and now we are at the final part. Instead of using clever well known tricks to take out the traps ahead of time..they got right straight to the CS. And wow they get hit and grabbed a few times and miss lock and trap shots. EIGHT TWENTY SEVEN OH WOW THATS THREE MINUTES FROM OPTIMAL. This chapter is the one to watch for this run. It is probably the peak of their suckyness.
Part 8 (3-3):They ended the last chapter with shotguns, now they have RL's which is the complete opposite of the inconsistencies of the other chapters. This chapter has little running..so they can't mess it up right? Apparantly they don't understand the concept that using a RL on a boat is stupid because you are on a fast moving vehicle firing slow moving projectiles against other fast moving vehicles. This guy is firing a shotgun at long range and I wonder if he is even trying anymore. The chris took a long ass time to get the boat..I wonder what he was doing. More boat stuff..Instead of running to get the switches early..they take an hour making sure that they kill enemies that aren't a threat to them. Irving fight time. Both shots take way too long to land and they don't attempt to kill him before the CS. 4:06 30 seconds from optimal.
Part 9 (4-1): Chris player switched to the shotgun in between chapters. Some sloppy running leads to this next part where instead of shooting a flash to kill all of the bui kichwa..the sheva just runs past it making his partner too slow to get to the door. The sheva player just ran into the wall and lost the huge lead he had. He then switches to the handcannon after the CS which makes you question..if he was going to use the handcannon why would he start with the RL? Next part they take way too long killing enemies that don't need to be killed and the chris gets grabbed anyway and takes way too long to get to the door. The guy pauses after the first chain pull cutscene..I guess he wasn't ready for it? He is pausing after all of the chains and it is quite sloppy. They run past a large group of enemies which I found surprising given their preference to kill enemies for no reason. It doesn't pay off since they get hit anyway. Even though they kill Popokarim in one shot..they both shoot two extra rockets. They have to make sure that he is really dead I guess. Sloppy running and then we get the results..6:26. I was expecting worse but this is around 40-50 second slower than optimal.
Part 10: (4-2)HEYY!! They kept the weapons they had in the previous chapter this time..I find that surprising. They kill both laser operators in a really slow fashion and I wouldn't think they would know that trick so thats cool. Sheva player almost gets kills and runs the wrong way but it doesn't matter since he gets to the next point faster than chris. Speaking of chris..we have no idea what he is up to since his side isn't recorded. We will have to assume that it is nothing worth watching again. Instead of doing fancy mirror strategies they have their own strats that are really slow and they even fuck up a bunch of times. The sheva has only one mirror to operate and he can't even handle that..messing up a few times then saying "fuck it!" and going straight to the elevator leaving his slightly more capable partner to do the work. 4:06 one minute and fourty seconds slower than optimal. One of the worst chapters in this run.
Part 11 (5-1): Double RL's again! I guess they are making a effort to makethis a consistent run..or they have given up and decided to do the last chapters half assed. They trade leads a bunch of times in the next section and this of course is stupid and wastes alot of time. The sheva decides he is asuch a bad ass that he will use a freaking handcannon to shoot a window...the most decadent and slowest possible way to take out that window. He misses a shot on the second licker and almost gets death grabbed..Then in what is probably the dumbest move in the entire run..He turns on the lights in the licker room! I would love to read his comments on why he would such a thing. The game even tells you not to do that! Well the next part isn't quite as dumb as the last..they skip the elevator cutscene instead of watching it and that costs some time. Then the chris isn't facing the right way when the elevator comes and takes too long to get on. 2:49..25 seconds slower than optimal. Since this is a realllly short chapter that is impressively bad.
Part 12 (5-2): Double RL's again! Good job guys you are actually doing something right! Ok so far they aren't making any really terrible mistakes..they are too slow to get through the second door and have to kick it down. Then he rockets  a bunch of enemies that are standing behind explosive barrels that can be shot with a gun. He then misses the prompt for the elevator. Somehow in the licker section the chris is stuck really far behind. The sheva runs really sloppy and gets flashed in the next part..the chris gets far ahead with enough time to heal himself even though he had high health. The chris stops and fires a rocket that doesn't even kill the only enemies worth shooting in that situation. Running into the walls..here comes the reaper! oh the run past it. That is not like them at all. Oh wait no he tried to shoot it for a second. They decide to run on the slow belt. Why? I don't know. The other way is faster..they had to wait for a box to get past. Oh no here comes the Uroboros Aheri! Oh wait they shot rockets at it without doing the Quick RL trick. 5:20..40 seconds below optimal.
Part 13(5-3): Double RL's again! Good job! The most impressive think they were able to do was have the right weapons a few chapters in a row. The audo gets messed up here and I had to wonder if it was my computer. The audio quality really sucks here..It keeps coming on and off on the different sides. The actual speedrunning here sucks as usual..the shit audio quality makes it even worse. Instead of waiting at the switch to start the next CS right away, he waits till after the CS to do so. They almost get killed by reapers and then the sheva takes way too long to get off the platform and gets hit anyway. The chris player isn't smart enough to hit the switch himself so we will have to wait for sheva to do it. The sheva player gets hit and runs the wrong way into a sheilded base majini allowing the chris player with the huge disadvantage to somehow get the lead. The audio here is really terrible and the constant switching of channels is hurting my ears. The skip the CS's on the elevator which waste time and take too long to kill the guys that hold the switches. They spam rockets for no reason against the enemies on the bridge. Now for the licker part, I'm sure this will be lovely. They do the lever part ok I guess, you really can't mess it up though. He runs past the lickers, that was ok and he even knew when to stop pushing the dumpster. It is impressive whenever they do basic stuff, that is how bad this run is. Hey they actually had some sort of strategy  for wesker..of course it wasn't optimal and they didn't do the most important part which is cancelling his animation so he leaves earlier. They spend the time they wasted not cancelling the animation dancing. Ok now on to the jill fight. He shoots a flash nade while she jumps causing her to fall. This is not intentional. Now on to the strat. The chris fires a flash round while behind jill and restrains her while the sheva slowly hits the device with a handgun. They only shoot it 6 times which is the slowest way to do it. And the guy even misses and shoots her tit. The miss screws them over and they  have to catch her again. He then throws her down instead of restraining again. This is so slow..the chris player is able to run and pick up a tresure and then come back and heal. 9:16..I was expecting much worse. This is 2 minutes slower than optimal.. which is really awful. However it is the longest chapter in the game so it being only a minute less optimal than the disgraceful 3-2 run is a upset to me.
Part 14 (6-1): They broke their record of having consistent weapons here. Bad job guys. Shit running and they didn't even use the sequence break that is posted on gamefaqs and the official strategy guide. You can kill the crane operator and none of that BS with the crane has to happen. So that is a huge trick that virtually everyone knows and they didn't do. And what they did do is very sloppy and full of comical mistakes. Sheva gets hit after climbing a ladder and the chris kills the enemy right after the hit. More shit running and then chris misses a prompt at the door. I used "more shit running to describe a really long section where nothing notable happens. After a slow gatling gun majini kill. The chris does the bad ass wasteful 180 turn from 1-2. The sheva gets stuck a few times on the way to the elevator. Oh my god. 5:50. over 2 minutes and 10 seconds slower than optimal. I can't believe that the 6-1 was even worse than the 5-3. How could they not know that sequence break??? Why would they even think to speedrun a game they know nothing about? We are almost over, this misery will be over soon.
Part 15 (6-2): Double RL's! They have the right weapons again! Good job guys. This next part is a QTE and they can't fuck it up or they die. Now on to the boat section.Instead of waiting for the tentacles he runs and dodges  them. The idiot chris player gets twice and the sheva dodges for no reason on the second tentacle. They then spam way too many rockets on a enemy you can kill in 1 shot. Excella Gionne time! The boss, although very slow isn't done so terribly that it would waste a very significant amount of time. It's ugly and they don't try to kill her before the cutscene, but most of the bad parts were on the boat. Speaking of which..this is a 2:27 run..about 35 seconds from optimal. Very good suckage for the shortest chapter in the game.
Part 16 (6-3): Double RL's! Good job guys! Nothing interesting happens in the first two sections, the turning around was slow though. They trade leads a few times running to the switch..and then the chris player gets hit on his way down. They skip the door cutscene which causes more time to be added to the timer. So like, there nothing they can really do until the door opens. He still finds new and creative ways to get hit and make this look as bad as possible however. Door opens, the sheva picks up gold after climbing over the rail which is a bad idea anyway. At 2:57 the most satisying part of the run happens. It is hard to see what exactly what happened but either the idiot chris player blew himself up or got blasted by the rocket launcher majini. He gets put into dying and needs to be healed, they take out the reapers poorly then wait for the door. At the gatling gun majini part..they both shoot rockets which wastes time since 1 will kill both. Then sheva climbs the rail and switchs guns which could of been done at the next section. Wesker Part 1 time! Oh wow, their strategy is really bad. They just keep firing at wesker with the handcannon while he dodges it. When they get him down he fires the rocket then get hits from the blast of chris's rocket and takes too long to inject wesker.This was the worst wesker fight I ever seen. QTE time. I really was hoping that sheva would fall off the plane. He gets disconnected from messenger during the fight which makes you think, was he on his computer while doing this speedrun? Ok Volcano and final wesker! Instead of getting wesker as soon as he gets down they wait for him to jump and it takes them 10 shots to get his weakpoints. Some shots are hillariously bad. He is aiming at the floor. 5:26..1 minute and 20 seconds slower than optimal. This run is finally over..I'm free!

Conclusion: Reject reject reject!The runners involved should get banned. They thought it would be ok to submit a run without any research and have it as poorly executed as possible. They did so because no one else had a run. They don't deserve credit and these videos should be wiped off the internet forever.

Quote:
Verifier: So what's the story with the Chris footage side of the two-player run?
Verifier: Of RE5?
[18:26] mikwuyma: I don't think it was recorded
Verifier: Well, that's annoying, especially given how the two will split up on occasion and often it's Sheva who's staring at a door waiting for Chris to grab the key so she can get a jump start on the next segment.
[18:28] mikwuyma: yeah the run will be rejected on that basis
[18:28] mikwuyma: then again
Verifier: Ah, so... don't even bother then.
[18:28] mikwuyma: well
[18:28] mikwuyma: if you have any tips to give
[18:29] mikwuyma: I would give them
Verifier: Well so far the run's great.  Whenever Sheva lags behind Chris, it often doesn't matter anyway since there'll just be a ladder or a doorway that slows both of them down enough for her to catch up.
Verifier: It's just hard based on the first four segments to give anything -really- constructive because Sheva's often just the character who tears through the level while Chris does all the real big Mini-Boss Enemy slaying.
Verifier: Any flubs that do exist are often due to a random circumstance like getting a -really- bad buckshot spread with the shotgun even at fairly close range and having to fire at a padlock a second time, that sort of thing.

Quote:
Wiggle wiggle wiggle...  where do I begin?    I could write a book on why this run should be rejected, but it'd be a waste of my time.  This run uses VERY few known time-savers, none of the known glitches, and is generally slow.  This is a megareject.  Plus, they do each segment in one go (instead of splitting them up at checkpoints), which isn't necessary and will never give you the best time or best-looking run.  If that wasn't enough to auto-reject, the video quality kinda sucks.  Sorry guys, but definitely do some research before you try to submit something to SDA.  And definitely work on keeping a straight path when running.

Verdict: Reject

Reason: Doesn't use well-known time-savers, the running isn't very straight, and even if the previous two things weren't true, the second player wasn't recorded.

This run is available upon request, PM me by December 6th if you want to watch the run.
Thread title:  
Apparently, Verifier #2 hasn't heard of Wouter Goes Bananas.
"The runners involved should get banned"
What a nice and encouraging thing to say... It's like saying "You are bad at this and therefor you aren't allowed to be here." Verfier #2 have some thinking to do.
I read through some of the verifier comments and I agree that parts of them were quite harsh. Based on the amount of text, it also looks like a lot of time was spent in the verification process. Time badly spent, it sounds to me. Wouldn’t it have been possible to avoid this situation earlier on ? Assuming the submitter is new to sda, couldn’t it have been pushed a bit harder that he should’ve posted a sample of the run somewhere and then ask for a first opinion in the forum ? This holds especially true for a complex (?) game like RE5.

For my first submission, Mike was reluctant to pass it on to any verifiers based on my description (and maybe also because it was my first submission). Instead it was decided that I should upload something on youtube and ask for comments in the forum. I got some feedback, managed to improve the run and did maybe avoid being run over in the verification process. I think this was a very good way of handling things, so I don’t understand why it wasn’t done in the case of RE5 (assuming the runner was new to sda that is) ?

For people new to the site, it’s not always easy to know the level of play that is actually required to get accepted. I mean many people prefer not to look at TASes, not practice on emulators, not to roam the internet for info on the latest strategies and glitches, etc etc and think that as long as it “looks fast” it should be good to go (I don’t know exactly what the rules say, but I think it’s safe to assume not everyone reads the rules in detail or fully understands just how strictly they are applied). While “doing-everything-on-your-own” is a point of view worth respecting (like every other personal choice), not using every available piece of information in a run is a fool proof way of getting crushed by the verifiers. It seems like it would be a good idea to stress this a little bit more in some cases…

Of course, I don’t have more information about this run than what it says here in this thread, so I might have misunderstood this particular case. However, I don’t think it’s the first time I wondered why a run reached the verification stage in the first place (both for the sake of the verifiers and the runner).
Master-88
I agree what ktwo say.

This is really hard to know how high this stanard what you need make accetable run. When i working on my Probo 2 run about year ago, i not was never thinking accetable run must be done under 17 minutes.

2-3 year ago SDA not has any stanard. almost every run was accetable, caring how many deaths or mistakes runner made. Today SDA stanard seems just crazy, many very good runs are got rejected even runner are maded good job. Biggest verification joke was DKC 3 run when one verifer reject it even run was almost perfect. You never can sure how fast run you need got. Even 1-2 hour SS run must be look almost like TAS, and its too hard with many players here.

Some peoples has incredible luck and super good concentration and only these guys can make some incredible runs. If you asked me i personally want lower that stanard little bit got accetable run. If i am verifer i´ll always accept run if i not pick up deaths and runner make quite good job and avoid ugly errors.
bläää
verifier no. 2 was kinda disgusting Tongue
Quote from MASTER-88:
This is really hard to know how high this stanard what you need make accetable run. When i working on my Probo 2 run about year ago, i not was never thinking accetable run must be done under 17 minutes.

No, I would've rejected it before I even watched it. It's a co-op 1:27. The solo time in the title of the RE5 thread is a 1:26.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
i would of rejected it to after watching something like this.I have a great run going myself i will update the re5 thread.
We ran those glitches with the game save clock vs game recording time and found the recorded footage was longer. So what if you could mess with the Super Mario Brothers 1 clock if the stage still took 5 mins to win. It's still 5 mins. I hope no game, and I mean no game in future SDA runs allows the glitching of the game clock vs total gameplay footage recorded.

Despite all the complaints this run is still only minutes behind the fastest absolute time (No clock glitching). We would have continued to improve on this run (We were waiting for commentary), but we don't have the ability to record both feeds. I could've argued mini map, but Capcom did a wonderful job of hiding it in certain parts, and the driving stage you can't even see player 2. It pisses me off how badly Capcom rushed this game out. When compared to all other Resident Evil games you can glitch the crap out of this one. You can glitch that clock down to 37 mins. Similar problems plagued Resident Evil Outbreak. Verifier #2... wow! Seriously wow. I wonder how he would react to 1:28? Anyways don't let this discourage other people from trying to get their runs up. We ran this in hopes of getting people interested. If someone submits a successful run in the future, goal obtained.
Quote from sagema:
We ran those glitches with the game save clock vs game recording time and found the recorded footage was longer. So what if you could mess with the Super Mario Brothers 1 clock if the stage still took 5 mins to win. It's still 5 mins. I hope no game, and I mean no game in future SDA runs allows the glitching of the game clock vs total gameplay footage recorded.

Despite all the complaints this run is still only minutes behind the fastest absolute time (No clock glitching). We would have continued to improve on this run (We were waiting for commentary), but we don't have the ability to record both feeds. I could've argued mini map, but Capcom did a wonderful job of hiding it in certain parts, and the driving stage you can't even see player 2. It pisses me off how badly Capcom rushed this game out. When compared to all other Resident Evil games you can glitch the crap out of this one. You can glitch that clock down to 37 mins. Similar problems plagued Resident Evil Outbreak. Verifier #2... wow! Seriously wow. I wonder how he would react to 1:28? Anyways don't let this discourage other people from trying to get their runs up. We ran this in hopes of getting people interested. If someone submits a successful run in the future, goal obtained.
I don't think any of the verifers told you to manipulate the timer. Minutes behind the fastest absolute time? One of the verifers says 1:27:48. There were many sub 1:15 times back when I played back in april. I think Leon4455 was close to getting under 1:10 with LAYZAR.
Quote from sagema:
I hope no game, and I mean no game in future SDA runs allows the glitching of the game clock vs total gameplay footage recorded.

SDA always allows timer manipulation unless the timer can be completely broken (i.e. permanantly stopped or rewound to zero or something like that). I don't like this (would rather leave it to the runner to choose whether to do a manually-timed run or in-game-timer run, since this can often lead to subtly or significantly different routes and tactics) but it's how SDA works.

It's worth pointing out that what's written in the FAQ about this is completely false. The FAQ says
"Some game timers don't count time at pause/inventory screens, dialogs, cutscenes, etc., so the time can be significantly less than the video length... In most of those cases the timer will be ignored."

This is simply not true and that line will doubtless be removed from the FAQ when it's updated (which will happen soon). If you were misled by this into thinking that you shouldn't use glitches that saved time on the in-game timer but cost real time, then I'm sorry and that's very unfortunate and unfair. However, by the sounds of it you were always going to be rejected hard anyway.

Quote:
Despite all the complaints this run is still only minutes behind the fastest absolute time (No clock glitching).

'Minutes' of possible improvements is a lot for a run an hour and a half long. Minutes of improvements that somebody else has already managed to acheive is even worse.

Quote:
We would have continued to improve on this run (We were waiting for commentary), but we don't have the ability to record both feeds. I could've argued mini map, but Capcom did a wonderful job of hiding it in certain parts, and the driving stage you can't even see player 2.

Yeah, unfortunately there's really no way we'd ever take a co-op run without both players recorded.

Quote:
You can glitch that clock down to 37 mins.

This sounds like the kind of totally breakable clock that would lead to SDA using manual timing, but I can't say anything for sure since I know nothing about the game.

Quote:
Verifier #2... wow! Seriously wow.

Yeah I wonder who that was. I've thought I've been overly harsh when verifying before but this crosses the line from harsh criticism of the run to a nasty attack on the runners, which is uncalled for. What the fuck?
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I know I'm a little late to joining the discussion, but I just read verifier 2's comments, and he didn't have to be so nasty. Saying stuff like "The runners involved should get banned" is the kind of stuff that turns people off the site.

Timer manipulation: Okay, I think we're getting a little confused about timer manipulation here. If it's something like letting a cutscene play a bit in order to manipulate enemy positioning, then it's fine (Mega Man Zero 2), but if it's something like playing through a whole section of the game, then somehow resetting the timer, then that's obviously not allowed. IIRC, RE5 is the latter case.

ExplodingCabbage: Yeah I need to get around to rewriting the rules and FAQ, they're quite outdated. Sad
Edit history:
Aftermath: 2009-11-16 08:58:12 am
Quits halfway
Verifier 2 was quite justified in everything he said. Let's review what the run is and how it was submitted:

- Play quality which can be summed up with "Virtually every second of these videos feature a mistake.... They made no effort to search online for tricks even with a huge database of info and videos on youtube,"

- A non-existent understanding of the categories at SDA, "The runner describes this as being a 'Resident Evil 5, US version, Xbox 360, Hard Drive Installed, XBL, Normal Difficulty, Infinite Ammo, Default Controller, NTSC, Online Co-Op, Segmented.' Run.  In reality, it is a collection of SS IL runs that have no continuity between each other."

- They mess up on a QTE. Sort of in line with the first thing, but it really needs to be clarified that the people running it could watch a similar run on SDA currently, then watch theirs, and think, "Yeah, pretty much the same." I don't really want to insult the runners as well, but it really does sound like, putting aside timer manipulation, that it was not a well-researched run, and didn't involve a whole lot of attempts (QTE is instant-restart). And things like part 4's, "The running in the canyon part is really bad. Worst than normal even."

- AND THEN, this might just be my incorrect reading of it, but it sounds this, "The runner says to look at the leaderboards to see their times.." is a really arrogant thing to say. It also leads me to believe if they didn't put the effort to include their times in their run comments, the rest of the comments probably don't have a lot of explanation for their in-game decisions.

So yeah, the verifier probably felt like his time was being wasted, the runners had no idea what they were doing or what SDA was, and his statements in his conclusion were well-founded. Nasty or what-have-you, but this verifier was seemingly insulted as well in watching this.

Sagema - Not really trying to hate on you with this post, nor do I think you should be banned, but definitely do more research if you want to try this run again. Even if you had done the timer manipulation glitches, the fact that you used slower methods to solve patterns, had poor boss fights, and weren't very good at running would have led to a rejection. SDA is apparently pretty mean, but that's why you have to have a "I'll show them! *shakes fist*" attitude when people say you suck.
welcome to the machine
Quote from mikwuyma:
I know I'm a little late to joining the discussion, but I just read verifier 2's comments,

uh
Quote from Aftermath:
Verifier 2 was quite justified in everything he said.

I agree that all his criticisms were justified. What wasn't justified was presenting them in such a dickish way, e.g. describing mistakes as 'hilarious', calling the runners 'idiots' and saying that the runners should be banned (among much other dickery).

You seem to think that this attitude is justified because the runners submitting a bad run constitutes an insult to SDA and the verifiers, which verifier 2 was just retaliating against. I don't share this view; the runners just didn't know much about the game or SDA, and submitting a bad run shouldn't be taken as an insult or some sign of contempt for the site.

Quote from VorpalEdge:
Quote from mikwuyma:
I know I'm a little late to joining the discussion, but I just read verifier 2's comments,

uh

Presumably with 3 strong and detailed rejects, Mike didn't feel any need to read the comments in detail.
Yes timer manipulation can net you 37 minutes. They are up on the leaderboards. A lot of people are trying to find out how they did it. Some believe it's impossible with the US version. I believe they found a way to get player 2 to join right before the final checkpoint, and the timer only saved the final stage checkpoint. Thus 37 minutes. It's impossible to allow some time clock glitches, and ban others when you can mess with that clock in many different ways. Without clock glitching the fastest absolute time is around 1:25. That's finding a way to kill the driving stage boss in one swipe, double rocket Wesker perfectly only saves about 5-15 seconds(we did it in past runs). Then getting that stupid ladder to appear in the tanker stage. Right before the machine gun sub boss, but most times it's covered up.

We wanted a glitch less run, and expected the first one to be improved upon after commentary was given by SDA. Even then we didn't expect more than a 1 minute improvement. I don't understand why so many people got all dramatic over a minute, and started foaming at the mouth for not using glitches. I hope future runners for this game take the high road and avoid glitches. Because you can really really mess with that clock, but it doesn't make your actual gameplay shorter. It extends it. There are parts where you can reset to lose enemy spawns, and from that perspective I understand why people are heavy into it.
Edit history:
JohnnyKevlar: 2009-11-16 01:37:48 pm
Quote from sagema:
Yes timer manipulation can net you 37 minutes. They are up on the leaderboards. A lot of people are trying to find out how they did it. Some believe it's impossible with the US version. I believe they found a way to get player 2 to join right before the final checkpoint, and the timer only saved the final stage checkpoint. Thus 37 minutes. It's impossible to allow some time clock glitches, and ban others when you can mess with that clock in many different ways. Without clock glitching the fastest absolute time is around 1:25. That's finding a way to kill the driving stage boss in one swipe, double rocket Wesker perfectly only saves about 5-15 seconds(we did it in past runs). Then getting that stupid ladder to appear in the tanker stage. Right before the machine gun sub boss, but most times it's covered up.

We wanted a glitch less run, and expected the first one to be improved upon after commentary was given by SDA. Even then we didn't expect more than a 1 minute improvement. I don't understand why so many people got all dramatic over a minute, and started foaming at the mouth for not using glitches. I hope future runners for this game take the high road and avoid glitches. Because you can really really mess with that clock, but it doesn't make your actual gameplay shorter. It extends it. There are parts where you can reset to lose enemy spawns, and from that perspective I understand why people are heavy into it.
DUDE! Fastest time without timer manipulation was 1:11:28.. not 1:25. There are new tricks that guy didn't use that can get it under 1:10.
Here is how the glitch works:
1) play online co-op
2)have host by a checkpoint in restart menu
3) when other player runs right over the checkpoint line the host must restart the game
The way the game's saving system works is simple..it saves your position first then it saves the time that section of the level between checkpoints took. If you restart after your position is saved but before your time is saved..you end up at that checkpoint with no time added on the clock. There are different methods of doing this for certain areas.
I read some of the chapter times listed by verifier #2.
You say you have close to the fastest no glitch times? 2-2 4:37? Here is a 2-2 run done by me and Mat-Trix  in 3:55 with no glitches.
I wrote it before but..the verifiers were not telling you to use timer glitches at all. Only a minute improvement? That is a 42 second difference in a single chapter.
i think the runner is just pissed and angry that his run is rejected.. i can understand that, sometimes you believe you did a great run, and when it is rejected you're pretty disappointed. but in that case, you just have to re do the run, and make it better, and don't give up Smiley

crying in the forum how mean everyone is for rejecting the run is not the right way Wink