mikwuyma: 2009-02-08 07:42:37 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ResidentEvil4.html

Derek Taylor's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Warning: This is a long-ass report.

Cheating
Um, what version is this guy playing? It’s obviously the Nintendo version, because of the button prompts. So it's the Gamecube version, except that there’s an “Easy” under difficulty setting, which wasn’t there on the Gamecube version. The “Loading…” (Holy shit, Nintendo let the players see that word?) between screens wasn’t there either. There’s even a “Language Selection” category at one point. Is this a changed “Million Seller” edition? Or the European Edition? (Mike's note: it's the PAL version)
I don’t think he’s cheating, I just had to note this here.

Quality (Capture)
- Really good.
- There's a recording glitch I've already talked to you and nate about.
- There’s a part in 5-2 where the sound goes out for a split-second  at around 1:26. It’s when he flash grenades the Iron Maiden.

Quality(Gameplay)

1-1
- Uses that awesome village speed strategy discovered in the forums to finish the village 35 seconds faster than the old run, from when they both start in it to when they both leave. Long story short, you have to kill the villagers quickly in order to end the battle, so using two grenades at spawn points and at gathering locations is the quickest way to do it.
- Apparently the timer stops when you pause the game, but not during in-game loading, so the “pause trick” is used to avoid losing 3 seconds for the church bell cutscene to load. You pause the game when you can hear the game system loading the cutscene to avoid losing the time in-game.
- Nice shooting of the locks and explosives, not even stopping to aim.

1-2
Nothing major out of the ordinary to note here, except that’s it’s really fast and he only shoots one guy to go by him. He also avoids getting axed in close calls twice (He runs by them right next to them).

1-3
- Manages to run through 4 villagers in a narrow area without getting grabbed or hit.
- Del Lago is alloying and random, but the runner makes short work of him through impressive boat maneuvering and harpoon aiming. I didn’t even think to aim at his head the other way while he was jetting past the boat.

2-1
- Impressive quick aiming and accurate shooting of the hanging crates from on top of the cliff.
- Uses a glitch to avoid triggering a wave of villagers that would get in his way and he’d have to shoot to avoid damage from. It also saves time, seeing as how he just walks across the water to his destination.
- Pause trick is used here a few more times during the tunnel exit and the El Gigante battle.

2-2
- I can’t believe this guy actually managed to get Ashley up that ladder without hurting that guy behind it or any other tricks. Usually she gets stuck at the bottom and ducks instead of climbing the damn thing.
- Gets really lucky during the cabin fight and doesn’t even have to go into his inventory for anything. He not only gets a hand grenade from some dead guys, but Luis also chucks him one the love of god. So he groups them and blows them up. He gets hit twice, but heals in the next segment. You can’t do this quickly without getting hit (in a New Game run anyway).

2-3
- Outruns El Gigante really well, even knifing two chains at once on both doors.
- Uses his handgun to shoot everyone, apparently lowering the difficulty for the Chief Mendez fight. I don’t know, I was still skeptical about this “difficulty lowering” stuff, but it works, so I guess I’m a believer now.
- Completely owns Mendez with incendiary grenades, even using the last one to detonate the explosive barrel and kill him.

3-1
This should be good: a long ass castle trek through catapults and countless bad guys, a Garrador, and the Water Room.
- Manages to get up to the top of the castle and not only does he not get hit with any flying flaming rocks, but he only needs to kill one of them (from a long way away with a shotgun) to move on.
- I’m really impressed with his strategy for the small sword room. All he does is run around the table and he totally avoids the bad guys, and he gets the top sword first.
- The strategy for the following room is pretty risky too, because he gets really close to enemies and leaves Ashley unattended, but he makes it through.
- Uses a cool (and fast) strategy with the Garrador where he gets off three shots to his weakness at once and the final one right as he’s swinging his claws two inches from Leon’s face.
- The Water Room goes really well, even though he gets hit and so does Ashley. Her health doesn’t matter because it doesn’t impact her speed greatly if she’s with Leon.
- Instead of using the Flash grenades while Ashley slowly lowers the stairs, he uses them against them while on the lower ones and wisely lowers it himself. A spike shield guy gets glitched and runs the other way. Lucky lucky.
- Uses the “Restart from checkpoint” trick that the old run used to get rid of the enemies.

3-2 and 3-3
- Uses the camera angle abuse trick. If you rotate the camera to a certain degree from the enemies off screen, it causes them to behave weirdly and miss their attacks on you.
- Uses the “Don’t let the Red goat head guy get away” trick where he hits him with an incendiary grenade and watches the cutscene (while he falls to the ground) to prevent him from warping away. He then kills him instead of chasing him down, obviously.
- Misses some shots on a pointing bad guy, and gets by him anyway. He loses about 2 seconds.
- Fuck yeah, the “TMP + stock through the door trick”! As the name suggests, you can stick a TMP through a door and shoot the lock off on the other side, skipping the outer castle walk, the hedge maze, part of the house, and even the chapter end/save/new chapter start screens. This removes about 2 and a half minutes from the overall time and doesn’t work in the other versions.
- The last room goes perfectly.

3-4
- Manages to shoot off two of Ashley’s cuffs with one sniper shot.
- Yes, you get teleported to the center platform if you aren’t on it when Ashley is freed, so there’s no cheating here.
- Kills all the second wave of bad guys with one sniper shot and one grenade, allowing Ashley to quickly escape.

4-1
- Doesn’t even kill the fire guys in the lava room, he just runs by them.
- Kills the fire guard by shooting the chains, which is faster than trying to shoot him.
- Uses the “TMP + stock through the door trick” here again to avoid doing the puzzle to open the door, stopping the spike ceiling, and preventing the drill dozer from coming for Ashley. This saves at least 30 seconds.
- Damages himself to lower the difficulty for the Knight battles, which also goes perfectly.
- The bug room goes perfectly, but it’s a better perfect than the Knight battle, because it’s so random and the bugs are fast and unpredictable. They also usually hit or grab you at least once, but not here.
- Only stops to shoot one necessary bad guy in the whole clock tower.
- Loses 5 seconds when he gets hit by a rocket and has to heal.
- Could have used the rocket to blow the door off and kill the non-armored Garrador at the same time, but that would have caused the other one to stumble forward instead of turn around, blocking it from receiving the final shot, so he did the right thing.
- Ditman glitch time! Long explanation short, by equipping the Striker and holding something while switching to something else, you trigger a glitch which lets Leon run 1.5 times the normal speed until you get hit or a dodge command is prompted.

4-2
- Saves at least 30 seconds by avoiding the dynamite and simply blowing the rock up with a rocket launcher.
- Saves more time with the El Gigantes skip, which you use the Ditman twice on the zip line and it lets you run through the wall and out the door, avoiding having to fight the two trolls.
- Oh man, here comes the bug cave. He gets through it with the Ditman glitch and camera angle abuse... without getting hit once!

4-3
- Zips through the cavern with the Ditman glitch.
- The mine cart ride goes as well as it can for being… on rails.

4-4
- Holy crap, that Ditman glitch allows him to tear through the Salazar statue section without getting hit by the many bad guys standing right next to him swinging balls at his face. Highly impressive.
- DVD GLITCH. I’ve already sent you the details.
- For differences between the gaps, he doesn’t use any extra TMP ammo. He switches to his grenades and activates the Ditman glitch while doing so, because that’s what’s happening when the recording kicks back in. He has 25330 money before the gap and has 26130 after it. This means that during the gap, he picked up 800 piestas (or whatever they’re called) from a dead enemy or destroyed barrel.
- Gets a face full of dynamite and has to heal, but that’s why he’s bringing the First Aid Spray, so he doesn’t have to stop and kill the tosser. He loses about 2 seconds by having to heal, but he needed to go into the inventory to select the shotgun, and the elevator was already on its way up anyway.
- The elevator ride goes really, really well. He blasts each guy out of the elevator, many times multiple enemies at once, with only two that don’t quite make it out. They don’t matter, because he kills both on the way up to the next stop. Killing the guys is what causes the elevator to keep going, so the quicker, the better.

5-1
- Holy crap. My mind has been blown after seeing the trick at the start of the segment. About 45 seconds are saved by skipping the entire “run around the island activating lasers while the welcoming party consisting of a huge mini-gun guy and his million friends try to kill you” part. He does this by using a trick much like the waterfall one in 2-1 where he drops into a wall and is able to travel through them. He then runs and pushes himself against another invisible wall, raising him up, and then walks though solid ground and onto it, resorting him back to the laws of gravity.
- Running by that rocket launcher guy and those zapper guys without damaging them took some balls. I’m wondering why he didn’t use the Ditman glitch here. Hopefully he has a good reason.
- He does us it to get past the garage part though. Normally you’d have to kill two waves of bad guys and wait for them to spawn and the survivors to recover and the door to decide to open again and all that crap.
- There’s some awesome enemy dodging for the rest of this, especially on the way back from the Iron Maiden where two arrows come within pixels of hitting him.

5-2
- Great strategy in the wrecking ball room (which just so happens to be set up so that it breaks down the only blocked door) involving him using two flash grenades to get through the whole thing. He watches the swinging cutscene because the wrecking ball moves in real time, and the bad guys were carrying Ashley away. This prevented them from moving.
- Gets grabbed by an enemy for the first time in the run, but it’s after he’s activated the lift.

5-3
- I think he has an accidental pause after entering the gate to the “It” area. .
- “It” goes very well, in that he doesn’t need to do any dodge commands or get grabbed at all. The regular dodging is pretty slick too.
- The first Krauser battle goes as well as it can, with him even pulling off that trick that lets you avoid going around the statue to push it back towards the wall. He also Ditman’s by all the attack robots.
- The second half goes just like it did in the old run.

5-4 and Final Chapter
- Ditman glitch to the extreme.
- I don’t get the strategy behind getting the crap sliced out of him during the final assault part. Couldn’t he have run by them with Ditman, or blown up the barrel? I know the mini gun guy would have come out, but if he was going really fast, he shouldn’t worry about it.
- I never thought to knife the eye on Saddler’s right front leg, but this runner does the battle the right way.
- Does some barrel rolls for final bonus marks.

Timing
The final time is 1:50”53.

Importance
I’ve explained everything and I’m rather tired right now, so I’ll just say since this one uses many glitches that weren’t known at the time, it easily beats the one up there by 15 minutes. Well, pulling it off wasn’t easy, but the result is highly entertaining and greatly needed after all these years of discovery. Even though there’s a recording glitch in one of these segments, we’ve accepted a speedrun without a whole segment before, so let’s just account for the stuff that happens during it (noted under the chapter 4-4 heading) and put it on SDA.

The runner sent a good version of segment 13 and this was the verifier's new response.

Quote:
Yes, the sound is off. It's about 1 second ahead of the footage. Other than that, everything I thought happened did. But I said he had 25330 money before the gap and has 26130 after it, and I thought that he picked it up during it. It turns out that he actually got the 800 before hand by shooting a jar during the non-missing portion.

Quote:
Seems to look identical to the previous one, ie, fast, legit, and accepted.

Quote:
Verifier: well, it's excellent throughout. Inventory is very well planned/used, the execution is probably the best of all RE4 runs so far
Verifier: There really weren't many surprises, but there's no reason to expect any

Quote:
Well, I finished verifying the RE4 run. I didn't find any problems, all good. The gameplay is good, it's a very nice run. Accepted.

Quote:
Verifier: Hey mike, i just finished watching the Resident Evil 4 speedrun. It is very impressive. Beats the current run by about 15 minutes. You were saying something about segment 13 being bad right? I think I am getting the same error. The video and audio on that .avi file are not in sync.
Verifier: other than that, the audio and video are fine for all other segments
me: okay cool
me: the audio was too early, right?
Verifier: yeah

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a massive improvement over the current run.
Thread title:  
Cheesy

derek = got re4 skillz and proved it

can't wait to see this
Accepted with flying colors.

Great job, Derek. =D
Congratulations, Derek! A new milestone on SDA.  Wink
Edit history:
qubit: 2009-02-17 09:31:40 am
aka theenglishman
EDIT: I'm stupid and didn't read the comments.

Congrats to Derek.  I've been telling him he should submit this to SDA and now he's done it.  Now go and submit your cleargame GC, newgame Wii, cleargame Wii and Assignment Ada :P.
If you checked the comments a little bit more closely, mike did mention that it is the PAL version.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from qubit:
Uh, mikwuyama - all of your calls for "cheating" are because Derek is playing on the PAL GameCube version.  This is also why the village strategy works (weaker enemies), etc.  The words "Loading" are also exclusive to PAL, etc.

You do realize that every single quote box is from a different verifier, not me, right?

Also, what DTaeKim said.
aka theenglishman
Yeah, sorry about that.

Seriously though, check out Derek's YouTube channel.  He has about three or four other RE4 runs that deserve to be up on SDA (like the aforementioned cleargame GC, the Wii ones, etc.)

Though I don't think this should obsolete Tim Bright's run because of the gameplay changes made on PAL.  I hope to do a single-segment NTSC cleargame one of these days (maybe, someday).
qubit, you're joking, right? The difference is like, less than a minute, and Derek improved the run by a landslide.
aka theenglishman
Quote from Carcinogen:
qubit, you're joking, right? The difference is like, less than a minute, and Derek improved the run by a landslide.

It's way more than a minute.  The RPG puzzle skip + weaker enemies contribute a lot to timesaving.  There are new and changed enemy spawn points, etc.

I'm not trying to defend Tim's run, I'm just thinking from a category perspective.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from qubit:
Quote from Carcinogen:

It's way more than a minute.  The RPG puzzle skip + weaker enemies contribute a lot to timesaving.  There are new and changed enemy spawn points, etc.

I'm not trying to defend Tim's run, I'm just thinking from a category perspective.

I personal belive that we should have the cats seprated 1 min is 1 min and still isn't fair to NTSC players i hope others agree with me on this one
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Isn't the only real big change being able to blow up the rock in the mine area with a rocket launcher? Where are the alternate spawn points?
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from The_Quiet_Man:
Isn't the only real big change being able to blow up the rock in the mine area with a rocket launcher? Where are the alternate spawn points?

I belive the blouder is about 50 secs not only that there are small thing that equal up to be another 30 or so secs so i think it is only fair
Here is a PAL differences guide. (In the middle of the In-Depths FAQs category, I don't know if it's allowed to link directly to the file.)
more keys then pablo escobar
i think all versions should be separated. or atleast NA version. mainly the boulder. not to mention the pal version is easier.

it might be a minute, it could be a few seconds. whats the minimum shaved time improvement sda would take? for example if someone submitted a run to sda before derek did which was exactly the same as dereks except no 4-2 boulder trick. would sda take dereks run under the same category? im sure the runner before derek would be against his run being removed due to a shortcut he wasnt able to do.

anyways dereks run is still great.

whats the different between pals mgs extreme to NA's? is that not a different category?
I love SDA!
Hi guys Smiley

I just want to thank the SDA guys and everyone else who helped and supported me throughout all this Smiley You have been great :>
It's about time this great run got the recognition it deserved.  It's freaking awesome
Grats, Derek. ^^

If you need any more help, let me know. Sorry I haven't been on MSN lately, but it seems that my account managed to close itself. urgh. =_=
I had to watch that Del Lago fight twice, I almost can't believe how good it was! And that was right after the swamp area with the perfect shot on the dynamite. When I saw him completely ignore the savepoint after, it was one of those "Oh no he di'int!" moments. I know some of the major time improvements could be accounted for with version differences, but the fact that he used LESS segments is phenomenal. This run is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites, great job!
i think it's obvious derek's run qualifies for the "even if it's a different category, if it improves the run by a huge amount, we may just get rid of the previous run altogether due to a much higher quality of play in the new run" rule.  (something like that i believe)

that said, i think everyone who says that there should be different categories is correct.  whether a minute or a few seconds, some future ntsc runner would get screwed by the version differences and shouldn't be required to play on a certain version just to compete.  that's my opinion, could be wrong.
Quote from xXIkuto:
that said, i think everyone who says that there should be different categories is correct.  whether a minute or a few seconds, some future ntsc runner would get screwed by the version differences and shouldn't be required to play on a certain version just to compete.  that's my opinion, could be wrong.

(I don't know if this discussion has already come to an end, but) I totally agree with that.
There are a lot of (mostly small) changes in the PAL Version, which justify different categories anyway in my opinion. Plus, there are two different PAL Versions: German and European PAL, of which the German PAL is slightly cut.

The major Gameplay PAL differences are:
- The block in the mine is blowable with the rocket launcher (as already mentioned).
- Fire power and speed differences of some guns.
- More ammo and money pick-ups in the PAL Version (size and frequency).
- Enemies fall more easily from ledges when hit.
- Lots of changes in easy difficulty (e. g. different starting equipment, different ammo capacities, King's Grail needn't be obtained, garden maze is blocked etc.).

Additional differences in the German PAL Version:
- "Assignment Ada" and "Mercenaries" are missing, so no Chicago Typewriter and Handcannon (noteworthy for Load Game runs).

So the categories should be:
NTSC (New and Load Game each):              Easy / Normal / Professional Mode
European PAL (New and Load Game each):    Easy / Normal / Professional Mode
German PAL (Load Game):                          Easy / Normal / Professional Mode
for each console (GCN/PC/PS2/Wii).
(It's not clear if there'll be a 100% category, but this one would count for the NTSC and only one PAL Version, since it would only be suitable for a New Game round.)

That's a long list, but the differences and fairness make it a necessity, I think. Undecided