1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ResidentEvil4.html

You-Hei 'Cab' Muro's Separate Ways new game + run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Hello. I think this run is incredible. I watched it twice before reading the comments, and then watched the run some more. Some of the "mistakes" the runner said he did, I didn't really see as mistakes, but good use to avoid damage or more obstacles. This run can't really get much better than this, but maybe some seconds here and there to shake off. The planning seems very good. And the tactics with throwing grenades to avoid picking up the money etc was really impressive. I definitely enjoyed watching this!

My vote: Accepted

Quote:
I'm not an expert on RE4 hit detection, but in segment 1 on frame 6113 (3:23) and segment 2 on frame 6912 (3:50), the ganados' arms actually go through Ada while they are attacking.

Also, it's pretty obvious, but I didn't see it explicitly listed anywhere: this is a New Game+ run.

All ammo counts match up, at least as far as items he equipped in a given segment.

There were a few spots where he could have turned a little faster to avoid running into walls as directly, but I didn't see anything that was a significant problem.

Assuming that hit boxes only include ganados' weapons (Mike's note: This has been confirmed) and not their arms, I say accept.

Quote:
Verifier: hey mike, I have finished verifying the Resident Evil 4 Separate Ways (the Another Order) speedrun. It is a "Load Game" run instead of a "New Game" run. It is the Biohazard Japanese version, so there might be a difference in difficulty if the american/japanese PS2 versions have the difference the gamecube version has. This might explain many instances where the enemies appear to miss Ada's hitboxes (as attacks seem to go through the player often). The speedrunner might also need to explain why his health is full at the beginning of segment 4, when he never healed during segment 3. If that can be explained, then I approve of the speedrun. Video and audio is great and no major mistakes are made.
me: question answered: "That's easy, the game gives you a health refill at the beginning of each chapter in Seperate Ways. Whereas the only place it does this in the main game is at the beginning of the chapter where you save Ashley."
Verifier: alright
Verifier: well, i approve of the Biohazard 4 speedrun then
me: great

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
Unlike the last Resident Evil game I verified, this one has no major problems with the capture.

Quality (Gameplay)
Since this is a New Game + speedrun, he starts off with an unlockable weapon, a Bowgun, 3 flash grenades and 11 hand grenades.

Segment 1
- Pretty impressive grenade tossing, even landing the second one in a second-story window to kill the bad guys in the house.
- He uses the pause trick to let the game load before a cutscene so that the timer won’t count it.
- Uses the camera trick to dodge the chainsaw bitch and her two friends, skipping confrontation.
- I could have sworn that knife swing from the fat lady at the side of the church would have hit him (the runner). It’s almost as if it goes right through Ada. I sort of suspect cheating, but my inner gamer says otherwise.

Segment 2
- There is some impressive dodging in this segment, and quite a bit of it.
- There’s another one of those instances where he runs at a knife swing and it comes within pixels of hitting him.

Segment 3
- I thought that you didn’t actually have to take the items in the treasure boxes to trigger the bad guys coming to open the gate, just open them.
- Yes, you need to examine the door in order for the hookshot prompt to appear.
- More pause trick used here.
- More impressive dodging, especially since there are so many crossbow guys.

Segment 4
- I know I keep mentioning dodging, but it’s needed here more than ever, especially when the chainguns start firing at you from the boat. The whole segment consists of him running and dodging like a madman.

Segment 5
- Uses a really cool strategy in the tower ambush involving the bowgun. He fires at the same spot of the roof with the exact amount of ammo that he brought with him (Hmmm, it’s like he planned this or something). This kills the bad guys as they spawn and before any of them are even seen.
- Running at those two crossbow guys is risky, but the only way to do it.
- Kills Krauser no problem at all.
- From the catwalk, he shoots Saddler in the face, 100 times.
- The rest of the run goes off without a hitch.

Timing
The timer at the end reads 27:53.

Importance
Again, this is a New Game + speedrun. This means he doesn’t need to stop for health, treasures, or ammo. There’s a possibility of the reason those two knife swings miss him being that he's not carrying any health items or isn’t killing anyone (difficulty adjustment). He’s ironed out any potential kinks that might have developed during this speedrun. He doesn’t get hit or grabbed once by anyone or anything. Though there really isn’t as much strategy involved since this is a NG+ run and it’s not nearly as long as the main game run, he really has to have luck on his side for all the dodging he needs to do. The strategies he does use as the best they can be. This is pretty impressive, and should go onto SDA.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a well-optimized run. Also, it's nice to have a run from a Japanese runner.
Thread title: