Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet/ http://speeddemosarchive.com/Myst.html (I'm not too sure how to treat it)

Etienne Taschereau's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Cheers, Mike.

The movie quality is no problem; the fr is a bit choppy during high motion and the audio a little loud but no real issues.

I suggest timing start the frame before the Myst book starts to open (the first required action by the player). I would suggest that it end upon clicking on Atrus after he prompts you to give him the page collected earlier, but I think the video cuts off before that point. That click would occur less than a second after this video cuts off. Regardless, once you access the final area, that is the only action you can perform anyway, so another end point might be considered to be clicking on the window of the green book about 10 seconds earlier in the run.

The gameplay is solid, though not overwhelmingly quick. The double-velocity trick is used well, and the route is, as far as I can tell, optimal. The only slowness really comes from fiddly mouse-work when interacting with objects. However, I wouldn't hold this against the runner as the control scheme is fiddly in general in this aspect due to the mouse buttons doubling as movement buttons to allow play with the mouse alone. The fireplace pattern is also a little slow with the runner choosing to draw it in two steps both from the left, when starting the second from the right would be a little quicker in theory. This is still minor though.

tl;dr: Accept, assuming the video cutoff isn't an issue.

Quote:
There were no signs of cheating or any issues with video, audio, or syncing.

This run is pretty simple but very well-executed. The path appeared to be optimal, and there were no significant mistakes.

Recommendation: Approve

Quote:
Video quality looks good. No sign of cheating detected.

There is a route which I believe is slightly faster. It starts the same as now but takes fountain switch, train switch, clock switch and cabin switch in that order after the rocket. This allows being able to take the path on the right hand side of the wooden cabin which is slightly faster. However it does involve having to turn slightly in order to get the fountain switch, so we're talking like 1 second faster or so.

The runner navigates the island very well considering how easy it is to get stuck when running both with mouse1 and w. The only complaint I have is the hesitation while punching in the fireplace code. Can possibly be done 2-3 seconds faster with some more practice.

It's an accept from me. If people are wanting to challenge this time it'll be interesting with alot of micro-optimizations popping up.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Just when you thought we were done with Myst...
Thread title:  
Exoray
Contrary to Myst, the book in the beginning opens automatically. However the runner still has to move the mouse on top of the linking page (and the mouse is moveable during the book opening animation). It's difficult to say if this is game related input or something that can be equalled to menu input.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from moooh:
Contrary to Myst, the book in the beginning opens automatically. However the runner still has to move the mouse on top of the linking page (and the mouse is moveable during the book opening animation). It's difficult to say if this is game related input or something that can be equalled to menu input.

I agree, I think timing usually starts at character control, not player control. I mean if that were true timing would start at the main menu for every game.
Mike, I believe RealMyst should definitely have its own page on SDA.

I'm really looking forward to this one in a future update...!
Exoray
RealMyst is just a remake. The exact same game only with improved graphics. I feel it should go on the same page as Myst.
More important than the graphics is that RealMyst's controls are so radically different from those for vanilla Myst. Speedrunning RealMyst requires a totally different approach, a whole new plan of attack.

But it would probably be easier for an admin to just put the new run on the existing page.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from ninetigerr:
More important than the graphics is that RealMyst's controls are so radically different from those for vanilla Myst. Speedrunning RealMyst requires a totally different approach, a whole new plan of attack.

But it would probably be easier for an admin to just put the new run on the existing page.

different controls only mean a different category. the game page is to represent the same gameplay. that's how I see it.
gamelogs.org
doesn't realmyst include a new age too? dunno if that really matters much though.
Yes there's a bonus age and some additional music which seem to be the only differences compared to Myst besides the 3D part (http://www.realmyst.com/html/images/journal01.jpg).
I haven't played realMyst much, is the bonus age included in the normal story gameplay or is it just some extra age you could visit and wander around? I'm asking for a possible 100% run because then Myst and realMyst would be different. Now with an Any% run they're identical, right?
Exoray
They are identical. The bonus age is just a bonus and not part of the normal story gameplay.
gamelogs.org
ah yeah then definitely should go on the same game page