--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Quake2.html

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I watched only the first 20 minutes or so, but that's enough. There's an awful lot of mistakes, mostly movement errors where he tries to bh and bumps into walls or doesn't bh at all and still manages to bump into walls a lot. Then when he's not bumping into walls he's just very unprecise with his jumps, going in zig-zags more than a straight line. Oh and I could swear that the form of movement he chose isn't any faster than walking on the PS version. The shooting is horrible too. And nearly half of the video cosists of loading screens. I won't let this one slip.

I then told the verifier this:

Quote:
Your verification was fine, but the amount of loading screens has nothing to do with a run's quality, it just means the game is a shit port.

Then he said this:

Quote:
This didn't have any impact on my decision. I mentioned it because this is the first time I saw so much super long loading screens in a run this short. It's like torture. Or Russia.

Quote:
I have now watched the quake 2 run twice, and I am ready to give my verdict:

as far as I can see, there are nearly no problems with the run. Its is of a good quality, it's well planned, and the runner uses good use of sloped walls to make the run faster. There are only a few nags I have about it:

-The runner Sometime stopped to kill enemies. This only happened about 5 times, but when you think about it, the run could have been about 20 seconds faster.

-The runner sometimes hit walls and enemies, ading about a second onto the run each time.

The above comments are some things that could be improved, Im not saying the run is bad.

Overall, im happy with the run. I think it should be accepted.

IRC conversation

Quote:
Verifier: been watching that quake 2 thing
Me: yes?
Verifier:not really sure what to say... it's alright, but maybe i'm used to FPSes being perfect or something
Verifier:also he doesn't use the psx mouse which q2 supports, which holds him back a LOT
Verifier:it would be silly to discriminate because of hardware, but without it a run will just not be impressive
Me: hmmm hard to say what I should do then
Verifier:yeah i can see the similarities, most of the levels are identical
Verifier:but without a mouse his movement and aim is just too inaccurate for me to say yes
Me: k, maybe certain fpses should just stay on the pc, heh
Verifier:well, compare it to q2dq or that easy mode run some other guy did, it's way less exciting :p
Me: but I didn't even think of the playstation mouse peripheral
Verifier:also lack of rocket jump is annoying (he said the engine prevents it?) q2 gains a lot from rocjet jumps
Me:yeah that's something you would have to try out
Verifier:i'll look into it but i can't really promise a time
Me: k I'm not really too sure what to do about the run in the meantime
Verifier:I mentioned it to stubby because he's a q2 nut but he does not care for anything that isn't PC
Verifier:if the physics engine is as crippled as the guy claimed i would ban that version for the reason alone, a la metroid prime players choice
Me: yeah I know what you mean
Me: that's what I'm thinking
Me: because a speedrun would look really lame compared toa  pc speedrun
Verifier:there are lots of weird things in q2 like the pullup trick
Verifier:that are begging to be exploited
Verifier:also a really hard but impressive double twisting bunny hop
Verifier:yeah screw the psx version

Decision: Reject

Reason: There are two. To start, this run had a lot of aiming errors and wall bumping, though playing with a mouse might fix this.

The main reason why this run was rejected is due to how crippled the game is compared to the PC version. There's apparently no rocket jumping, and bunny hopping has been nerfed, which makes me wonder why anyone would want to a watch a watered down run, even if it is optimized. This situation is similar to Metroid Prime: Player's Choice - It's such a watered down version, there really isn't any reason to run it.
Thread title:  
I can understand that's it's been rejected because of mistakes, but never allowing a run of the PSX version because of a bad port sounds a bit harsh IMO.
Well, guess the standards in running Quake 1 and 2 are just very high.
boss
If the run was optimized or at least any better than total crap (a bad port isn't an excuse for sucking, console FPS games aren't as hard to control perfectly as most people think), it'd have been a different outcome I guess.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Then he said this:
Quote:
This didn't have any impact on my decision. I mentioned it because this is the first time I saw so much super long loading screens in a run this short. It's like torture. Or Russia.

The last part of this comment perplexed me greatly, but I think I get it.
Quote from groobo:
If the run was optimized or at least any better than total crap (a bad port isn't an excuse for sucking, console FPS games aren't as hard to control perfectly as most people think), it'd have been a different outcome I guess.

Nor is strafe-jumping on a controller.

I've trashed quite a few kids in Quake 4 on XBL that way.

Either way, the second I saw "Quake II" and "PlayStation" in the same line on the verification list, I knew the run was destined for failure. =X
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Well just think of it this way. Let's say the game had no run, and then the first version was this one. Then q2dq2 came along. It would obsolete this PS1 run. This exact pattern has happened for a lot of games, like Gun or Area 51. Now if you think this version should go up alongside the existing runs, that would mean that the order of submission matters, when it doesn't.

Making it clear once again. The rejection was for the quality of play, not the system used. Although I think it would be cool if someone were to accuse me or Mike of being anti-console.
boss
Stop being so anti-console, both of you.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from Enhasa:
Making it clear once again. The rejection was for the quality of play, not the system used. Although I think it would be cool if someone were to accuse me or Mike of being anti-console.

It's a proven fact that Mike hates the N64. Sad
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Enhasa: This game is such a nerfed, bastardized version of Quake 2 I did say it's not good to run, though I guess if someone did take the time to make a really optimized run it could be accepted. It would never be on the level of a PC Quake 2 run though.

TQM: I forgot to reject Conker's Bad Fur Day Wink
TIOLET!
Quote from Enhasa:
This exact pattern has happened for a lot of games, like Gun or Area 51.

And CoD4 as well. Although the PC run isn't submitted yet the time is around 1:38, compared to 1:55 on the 360. And this is a game where you can't bhop or rocket jump or anything like that, no matter what platform you play on. The run is about 20 minutes faster because of "better shooting" alone. My opinion is that unless it's a console-only FPS, leave the game for the PC.
Quote from Kibbo:
And CoD4 as well. Although the PC run isn't submitted yet the time is around 1:38, compared to 1:55 on the 360. And this is a game where you can't bhop or rocket jump or anything like that, no matter what platform you play on. The run is about 20 minutes faster because of "better shooting" alone. My opinion is that unless it's a console-only FPS, leave the game for the PC.

Word up!