--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

PC version Easy difficulty run

Quote:
By the way, since I got my better computer working I decided to check the Psi-Ops videos and they worked fine. So I watched them all and can give you a verdict on that run.

Overall, the run is good. The runner uses the psi powers efficiently throughout the game for shortcutting and killing & disabling enemies in a quick manner. There are also a lot of near death moments, which are mostly cleared without slowing down much, although the runner starts slowing down because of these moments in the later levels.

However, some segments such as 4 and 7 feel a bit sloppy. They get hit with heavy objects and slow attack animations, each slowing the runner down considerably. Segment 7 feels like the weakest link of the run overall as it has a slower pace, more missing, uncertainty in the execution and the aura ball temple puzzle hasn't been memorized at all. Maybe the balls couldn't be manipulated like the keypad numbers?

The runner has sometimes problems to drop down in the later levels where the space is limited due to rather "forgiving" collision detection when it comes to not dropping down. These type of things are quite costful.

Most if not all of the mistakes could've been smoothened out with more segmenting. As it is the segments are long and difficult. Since things like getting hit with heavy objects and similar things are prone to happen in the longer segments and are rather tricky to avoid, simply making the segments shorter would've allowed the player to cut time quite easily in several places.

While it would've been easier for the verifiers if the runner had shown his saves after the segment, but this isn't unheard of so I won't rant about it. I didn't spot any cheating. The game has a timer and it's accurate, so it should be used. I'm not sure about the full completion time, though; check below.

The videos synced fine and the video quality is very good (even a bit too good if you ask me - the video was too resource demanding so the video resembled more of a slide show than a speed run video. In fact, I would encourage the runner to use a bit less detailed videos for verification purposes - though I can't speak for the staff, obviously).

There's a problem with the given times, though. According to the timers at the end of the levels, the times add up like this (unless I counted something wrong):

2:58.92+6:41.67+4:11.47+4:56.32+9:03.66+6:17.43+8:14.85+7:51.28=50:15.60 (vs. 50:15:62 given by the game. It's a small difference, but the question is why it's there at all - assuming I haven't counted something wrong, because if I did there's nothing odd with it).

I'll give the run a weak accept as it does have good game play and some good execution for a first run of the game, but there's a substantial amount of mistakes which could be fixed fairly easily (this is relative, of course) by segmenting more to avoid especially the sort of mistakes that can happen quickly and end up costing a lot of time.

Quote:
First, some issues. I downloaded the files and attempted to play them using VLC Media Player. The video would freeze for seconds at a time, making watching for verification purposes impossible. I tried watching it in DivX, Quicktime, and even my DVD program. Exact same problems, sometimes coupled with no sound. Then I tried watching it on Windows Media Player. The video ran at about two-thirds speed, but with no visual obscurities, however, the sound ran with normal speed, causing the video and audio to be out of sync. I figured visually this was the best alternative, so I watched the entire run using Windows Media Player. I could see no cheating from what I could tell, and the run is impressive, however if there is a debate and I need to view a file again to see my opinion on cheating or not, I respectfully request a different video file.

Quote:
Verifier: also I'll probably watch the rest of the Psi-Ops run before bed tonight
Verifier: did you have trouble watching the videos?
Verifier: one verifier did
Verifier: nope
me: ok cool
Verifier: ok this run is weird
me: weird as in?
Verifier: brilliant parts and tactics and tricks right after segments filled with mistakes
Verifier: but there's a tad too much of missed shots and missed tricks and fudged up stuff in it for my liking
Verifier: so it's a reject, just barely, but a reject if you ask me

Decision: Reject

Reason: Even though the planning and tricks are good, the execution leaves something to be desired.
Thread title:  
I don't know why people were having problems with the videos, they work with vlc for me. I agree that seg 4 and 7 are sloppy. I will improve this run :).