--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/PrinceOfPersiaTTT.html

Justin 'UCPro' Salamon's single-segment easy run and segmented 100% hard run

Quote:
Verifier: I watched the PoP:RS SS run, havn't had the time for the Segmented one yet
Verifier: the video gets a bit blurry at times, but I assume that's just a bitrate issue
Verifier: otherwise the video/audio quality seems fine
Verifier: There's a few pretty weird time costing mistakes, though half the time the game seems to be at fault for bugging out
Verifier: Overall, the play quality for a 150 minutes run is pretty solid throughout, with well planned movement and a couple of time saving tricks at all times
Verifier: One intentional death used to keep the game from crashing
Verifier: Okay, just finished the PoP:RS Hard 100% Segmented
me: and your thoughts?
Verifier: Video and Audio were fine, there's a couple minor stutters during or around some cutscenes, but that's most likely part of the horrible engine getting confused
Verifier: The segmenting feels a bit arbitrary at times, some segment cuts happen at spots where there doesn't seem to be much benefit because the part after doesn't look difficult at all
me: btw, the segmented run is an improvement
Verifier: I feel there could have been 3 or so less saves total by shifting segment breaks around a bit without increasing difficulty significantly
Verifier: Route planning was pretty thorough, there are plenty of minor tricks and skips in what by design is a pretty damn linear action platformer
Verifier: Although there are a couple spots that look like there may be a faster way around there isn't any obvious missing shortcut I could spot
Verifier: Movement is pretty refined and optimised, there's a lot of precision and minor tricks that save a splitsecond each time are utilized throughout
Verifier: Nevertheless there are some hickups and small messups that stick out, some of them are mentioned in the comments, other smaller ones are not
Verifier: It feels like some of those mistakes should not be in the run, and they are fairly obvious because the other movement is so smooth, but there aren't any cringeworthy errors left in
Verifier: The Boss Battles look fairly optimized, the ordinary combat not so much at times, but there isn't that much of it throughout the game. It's definitely the low point of the run, and some of the excuses for uncooperative enemies from the SS run don't work in 5 minute segments
Verifier: Overall it's an accept as a significant improvement over the old run, but there are definitely some parts that could quite obviously be more polished
Verifier: But for the limitations of the game and it's tendency to glitch out in weird ways it's a pretty solid speedrun

Quote:
Verifier: watched the SS
Verifier: while the run is certainly not flawless
Verifier: most of the flaws can actually be attributed to the game itself (horrible glitches)
Verifier: and most obstacles are dealt with quickly and reliably]
Verifier: and this game is really horrible for running, the glitches are an incredible nuissance even
Verifier: when you're playing it normally
Verifier: (I can attest to that from my own experience)
Verifier: I figure there are maybe 4 minutes of maybe possible improvement in there
Verifier: but considering the randomness of this game, I have to say shaving even a minute would be a feat pretty hard to believe
Verifier: despite the horrible bugs, the runner has some DAMN good strategies and damn good execution going on, and the result is seriously impressive
Verifier: so accept right there
Verifier: I've yet to watch the segmented run but if the runner is the same, I'd wager the run will be an accept too (though obviously I need to watch it to make sure there's no cheating)
Verifier: I'll find some time to watch the segmented on Friday

Apparently the above verifier never found the time on Friday. I don't think he'll complain since the segmented run is an improvement.

Quote:
This is for the SS run.  I'll get you the segmented run verification later.

So, video quality is good and no apparent cheating.  As for the run, it seems quite good.  There are a number of mistakes (as he outlined in his commentary), but considering how this game is, they seem rather forgivable.  He pulled off a lot of very difficult tricks in succession, though, which is always impressive in a SS.  I think this should be accepted.

Control begins on frame 7045 (when the opening cutscene ends), and though it's hard to pinpoint the exact place of control loss, it seems to be about on frame 284438, for 277398 frames, or 2:34:15.856.

Also, this run includes a death.  I don't think the run would be possible without it, but it should be mentioned.

The last verifier requested silence, but he said both runs were very good.

Decision: Accept

Reason: The segmented run is an improvement, and the SS run manages to finish the game quickly despite all of the game-crashing bugs.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
UCpro: 2009-05-16 10:42:42 am
thank you verifiers!  ... also, thank you for understanding the game's bugginess which caused a couple slip-ups in the SS run.  Although there were a few mistakes, it was still a very fast SS and i think it's a really entertaining run that everyone will enjoy.

Cheesy

... wow, i've had 5 runs accepted here over the last couple months ... COOL!!