--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Svart Lyser Tronen
Awesome^

Someone better start: Portal Done Proer
Wow. Does this work in any level with non-voice triggers? Awesome we found out about the clipping glitch <3
Portal done Proer? gogo Cheesy Too bad i suck at actual speedrunning Tongue

cu, CBenni
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
Wow, that's awesome man. And if you can also get under the elevator in 17, then I'm pretty sure 18 can be sped up with the same thing.
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from Blazier:
Quote from DemonStrate:
Guys,

I can't seem to remember what this glitch is where you are on the propulsion gel, and you tap crouch and go really fast. Can someone explain how to do it again?

Wrong thread but... Hold crouch and start moving on propulsion gel. After about half a second, release crouch. You should get a boost if you time it right. It works singleplayer and coop on my post-DLC version. Never tried it pre-DLC.

Also. Seeing a speedrun just glitching under the elevator and skipping all the chambers where you have both portals would make me laugh so hard. Gonna give Youtube people so much more reason to hate on OoB Portal speedruns.

Lol. My bad. I have both tabs open right beside each other and I posted in the wrong one. Thanks for the response though!

For the Portal OoB, I see going OoB on 15 and staying 'OoB' into 16 (basically, doing what you did here between 16-17 except between 15-16). Then, doing what you did here from the bottom of 16's elevator to get to 17's. If doing this between 15-16 can save time on 16, then it may be worth it even if you lose time on 15. Also, why not stay 'OoB' (below the elevator) in 17 and then do the same thing for 18/19?
Edit history:
CBenni: 2012-04-09 10:02:15 am
CBenni: 2012-04-09 09:59:45 am
CBenni: 2012-04-09 09:59:07 am
As a fact, it is impossible to get directly to the emancipation field in 17, the elevator blocks it. Either you shoot a portal to a wall somewhere below the emanc field, or you hit the bottom of the elevator and find a way to do the "stay in bottom of elevator"-glitch with another clipping glitch instead of a edge glitch (apparently those two are pretty equal)

EDIT: another thing: apparently it wont let you do the clipping move out of the bottom in chamber 18; you get stuck on the elevator... getting below the elevator in 17 takes too much time aswell, so id say 16/17 elevator bottom glitch, 17/18 emancipation field reentry, into elevator, into clipping glitch route for 18. Now lets try this for 18/19. Probably the part of getting in and out of the elevatorbottom takes so much time that it wont be any use in short levels.

cu, CBenni
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2012-04-09 10:29:28 am
Gets the cake.
I didn't think the elevator blocked it that much. It should be possible to hit a tiny pixel of area. If I was wrong, then sorry =P (edit: indeed, not possible to land it on the e-field. Lame-o.)

I did some looking as well, and I'm not sure how many levels actually benefit from this.

12-13, 13 is so fast it doesn't matter, plus you don't have a straight shot from the bottom of the 13 elevator to the exit elevator.

13-14 same thing

14-15 you'd lose too much time getting into the bottom of 14

15-16 Could save time. Especially since you need to get a shot off from the bottom of 16's elevator anyways, so it'll make the setup on 16 that much easier. The only problem would be then getting a surface to edge glitch into the bottom of the exit elevator with.

16-17 I showed that it works and is awesome =P

17-18 The problem is that we can already get OoB in the first hallway of 18, so it doesn't save much, especially since it would take extra time to get under the elevator in 17, assuming we can even edge glitch in with the surfaces we're using.

18-19 Pointless. The doors in 19 aren't loaded, so from the point the map loads up you have access to that first hallway where you can go OoB.

So overall, I think 15-16 and 16-17 are the only ones that will give us any kind of reasonable boost in speed. I'm going to continue checking the earlier chambers today, there's got to be a way to get OoB on some more of those (10 and 6, specifically)

Another piece of this glitch that I tested is getting under the elevator in a map to trigger it, then leaving the elevator shaft. Unfortunately, every time I did this it just booted me out to the menu, citing a disconnect error after a fade-out. That said, perhaps it's possible to put yourself in a position that exists on the next map, and then load in immediately to that position? This definitely needs some testing.
Edit history:
CBenni: 2012-04-09 10:38:02 am
CBenni: 2012-04-09 10:37:27 am
Quote:
Another piece of this glitch that I tested is getting under the elevator in a map to trigger it, then leaving the elevator shaft. Unfortunately, every time I did this it just booted me out to the menu, citing a disconnect error after a fade-out. That said, perhaps it's possible to put yourself in a position that exists on the next map, and then load in immediately to that position? This definitely needs some testing.

Exactly what i found out aswell. Was just about to post it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13337387/seventeenskip.dem
First successful single segment 17 skip, could be done in ~12 seconds, i took 16ish (my clipping portal was in a wierd location, a lot of derping going on to find out where exactly i am)

@Z1mbo, you have skype? we could think about new strats? Cheesy

cu, CBenni
Gets the cake.
I have skype, yeah. nroth92
Edit history:
CBenni: 2012-04-09 12:00:48 pm

is the closest i got in chamber 19 to the final tower using the clipping glitchuntil now... theoretically it would be possible to do chmb19 in ~5 seconds, however you would need to hit the pixel-perfect shot all the way across the map within the split-second timing of the clipping glitch -.-
have fun, demonstrate Cheesy
Else we can take 2 more seconds to shoot one additional portal, ive gotten

here pretty consistently. From there you can get to the tower using 1 additional portal, giving an overall time of 7-8 seconds for chamber 19.
EDIT: woah. those pics are huge Cheesy

cu, CBenni
Edit history:
CBenni: 2012-04-10 09:44:35 am
CBenni: 2012-04-10 08:56:29 am
CBenni: 2012-04-10 08:55:27 am
CBenni: 2012-04-10 08:33:48 am
Update on 19: Ive founf a way to to it faster (or at least equally) than in demonstrates run using the clipping glitch and without having to shoot a portal pixel-perfectly across the whole map in that split-second timing:
You set up like this:

Clipping glitch here:

And you are then able to crank the portal to the very end (the level loading trigger):

ill upload a demo soon.
EDIT: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13337387/nineteen.dem
not perfect, i misplaced the first OoB portal a bit. That way i couldnt hit the trigger directly -.-
EDIT2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13337387/nineteen2.dem
Correct route, but slow. 12 seconds. 5 may be possible.
stay tuned,
cu, CBenni
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2012-04-10 11:57:33 am
z1mb0bw4y: 2012-04-10 11:56:46 am
z1mb0bw4y: 2012-04-10 11:06:36 am
Gets the cake.
Been messing around on the early chambers, looks like we will be able to use moonjumping on 10, and possibly 06 if we can get a camera there without losing time. Here's a video example of 06:

AND an example of chamber 10:

EDIT: Did some timescale testing, doing the moonjump on 10 saves about 2 seconds.
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2012-04-16 10:43:19 am
Gets the cake.
Alright guys, we need some group testing. We are working on a way to get OoB in 06-07 by placing portals in 04-05. Here's everything we know:

-There is a certain place on an elevator where you can shoot a portal through the floor to get it on the bottom of the elevator. (link = ). Portals inside of the "elevator area" are preserved between map changes, much like items are.

-If you are standing near this portal when a map loads, you will be in a "save glitch" state. For example, if you use noclip to place a portal under the 05 exit elevator and stand in the bottom of the elevator when 06 loads, then noclip up to hit the trigger for the orange portal to spawn, you will fall through the map. This is GLORIOUS and HORRENDOUS news all at once, because it presents an evil paradox: Hit the trigger inside the map while starting from the bottom of the elevator, lacking the ability to use portals.

-Portals OUTSIDE the map (IE, on the lower surface of the bottom of the elevator) do not preserve between map changes.

-any object anywhere inside the elevator shaft will still be there when the map changes. This is the principle we use to preserve objects between maps.

That's the extent of our knowledge so far. Other things to consider are other maps where having a portal under the starting elevator could be useful. Also, this trivializes getting under a map's elevator, meaning we no longer have to do the edge glitch (edit: for some maps, at least).
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2012-04-17 12:47:20 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2012-04-16 06:19:43 pm
Gets the cake.

EDIT: Not nuff said, I guess. I forgot to mention that we're not actually going to use the radio to get into the edge glitch, we'll be using a camera brought in from 04/05. So the actual route would be ABH to hit the trigger for the orange portal, place the blue portal, climb up to edge glitch and save, then from the load immediately shoot your blue portal to disconnect from the wall, walk to the edge of the room, jump slightly backwards into the abyss, shoot a portal at the outside of the map, and fall onto the lower surface of it, then shoot from there to the exit elevator's fizzler. Whole map should take like 25 seconds max.

EDIT AGAIN: More proper route video for chambers 04-07:
If we were you, we would quit now.
I don't know who this guy is, but I feel like punching him in the face:

He cuts the elevator rides down to about half their time for each map. Also, the audio sounds like it was recorded over a radio signal. The one thing I did notice is that he uses a version of the game that allows you to move while OoB. Does the original version of the game allow that? I think it does, so he's probably using a pirated version... I don't like this guy. His run is like the Chinese knockoff version of Portal Done Pro. Lol.
Seen this before. He posted his run in another thread a while ago. http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/portal_9402.html

Few comments there too.
Quote from DemonStrate:
The one thing I did notice is that he uses a version of the game that allows you to move while OoB. Does the original version of the game allow that? I think it does, so he's probably using a pirated version... I don't like this guy. His run is like the Chinese knockoff version of Portal Done Pro. Lol.

I have seen a ton of people been able to do that. Not a single one has answered on my PMs -.- Maybe its because they cracked the game?

cu, CBenni
Gets the cake.
Quote from DemonStrate:
The one thing I did notice is that he uses a version of the game that allows you to move while OoB. Does the original version of the game allow that?

It was allowed for a while, then not allowed for a while, then not allowed again for a much shorter while, and it's currently not allowed. Personally, I think not allowing movement while OoB is much more interesting. =P
Gets the cake.
WOW This thread was falling back into the PC games thread oblivion. Just in case anyone wanted to but didn't get to see it, here's a link to my portal run from Summer Games Done Quick 2012.

Was a good run, but not my record. I wish the portal runners were more organized with their PBs and records and whatnot, and so to help with that I guess I'll put all of my records here:

Inbounds SS: 16:03 with load times, 15:33 without
OoB SS: 11:57 with load times, 11:27 without

I'm also currently working on an OoB seg'd run that I'm roughly 3 minutes into, with a goal time of 8:40. I'll post a progress video when I'm finished with chambers 6-7 I suppose, since that's the first area where the route really changes.
boss
/\

Blew my mind.
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
Great job man! Seriously need you to pay for me to come to a marathon, a race would be great fun live ;).

Can't wait to see the seg'd OoB, I'll be back from uni in a couple of weeks and then I can do my best to help if you need :D.
Claimh Happy
Once again, great job at the marathon. As for the OoB seg'd, I'm still willing to help if someone will buy me a new computer Tongue
Gets the cake.
Quote from Inexistence:
Great job man! Seriously need you to pay for me to come to a marathon, a race would be great fun live ;).

Can't wait to see the seg'd OoB, I'll be back from uni in a couple of weeks and then I can do my best to help if you need :D.

If that's the case, I'm going to halt progress until you're back, because I'm sure the two of us can absolutely churn out some awesome segments =D
Edit history:
djcj: 2012-06-05 07:59:50 am
Quote from DemonStrate:
He cuts the elevator rides down to about half their time for each map. Also, the audio sounds like it was recorded over a radio signal. The one thing I did notice is that he uses a version of the game that allows you to move while OoB. Does the original version of the game allow that? I think it does, so he's probably using a pirated version... I don't like this guy. His run is like the Chinese knockoff version of Portal Done Pro. Lol.

Cutting out elevator parts is stupid and would obviously not be allowed if he submitted any run to SDA.
As for the pirated version, I don't see any problems with that (I use a pirated version too, even if I have a working steam accout with Portal; and yes, you were able to walk OoB until they fixed that on some day). I mean, you could've just not updated your original steam version for years. And in worsed case it's two different categories. I guess many people do runs on illegal (or sometimes legal?) game copies, be it PC or console.
Gets the cake.
Quote from djcj:
Quote from DemonStrate:

Cutting out elevator parts is stupid and would obviously not be allowed if he submitted any run to SDA.
As for the pirated version, I don't see any problems with that (I use a pirated version too, even if I have a working steam accout with Portal; and yes, you were able to walk OoB until they fixed that on some day). I mean, you could've just not updated your original steam version for years. And in worsed case it's two different categories. I guess many people do runs on illegal (or sometimes legal?) game copies, be it PC or console.

Being able to move while OoB is irrelevant for the new OoB segmented route, and doesn't change anything of importance for the SS OoB route, so I'm not sure why it's an issue. In either case, I would say that doing a run on the "most appropriate" version of the game would be best, i.e. the one with the more helpful glitches for speedrunning. This is how it's been done for other games (aLttP Jap version vs US version for glitches and shorter text). That said, I'll be doing all of my runs on the current steam version of a game because that's what I have =P
Edit history:
Mahi: 2012-06-18 04:03:48 am
Mahi: 2012-06-18 04:03:46 am
Mahi: 2012-06-18 04:03:44 am
Hey guys, I'm new here and not too experienced with Portal glitches, but I've been playing quite a lot lately, and I just (well, quite long time ago) ran into this weird thing, where I used the seam glitch in chamber 04, and I got pushed into the ending room, but the portals didn't get destroyed.

Here's a video of it, I ended up having two orange portals and the second one couldn't be used, anyone have an explanation for this? Just curious.