List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Portal.html

Cody Miller's single-segment 360 version run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This run looks to be about 21:00 timing from player control to GLaDOS's KABLAM! This makes it an improvement of about 3:37 over the XBox 360 run currently on the site. Because the video/audio is fine and there is no cheating, this makes the run an automatic accept in my book.

The good stuff about the run is that is uses a LOT of shortcuts that were not in the previous 360 run. Basically every chamber after the runner has a portal gun is done as fast or faster than the 24:37. The runner also took advantage of shortcuts that were already known when the old run was made but were considered too risky for a SS, such as the jump in the first chamber with acid. The runner also used portal bumps, something that was considered impossible on console when the previous one was done. The uses of these alone appeared to save about 50 seconds over the 24:37.

I think that the runner could still further improve this rather quickly if they keep at it. Especially in later parts of the run, there appears to be some hesitance on shots or taking an unusually long time to set them up (a particularly bad looking spot is setting up the portal for the turret to shoot through at GLaDOS). I'm sure the runner does not lack familiarity with Portal, but considering they mentioned getting strats from fjeezy, who posted tips for running on 360 just 10 days before this was submitted, I think it's obvious they could spend some more time committing the new stuff they were taught or found for themselves to muscle memory and improve this even further. This is a good run, and the only thing that keeps it from being a really great run (although by the standards of some of the shortcuts, many people might consider it such already) is the obvious hesitance in places and the lack of smoothly going from one shot to the next as we've become used to seeing in segmented and SS runs alike for the game.

@the runner: I'd suggest watching somekidoncs's segmented 360 run on YouTube if you haven't already. It has some nice shortcuts for reference that are very doable in a SS run. The portal bump before the broken tube should be easy enough, and you definitely need to get the final big turret room down smoother, and using the shortcut from that run will make it simpler. So yea, good job improving the previous 360 SDA run, and I'll accept this on that basis, but there is still plenty of small improvements you can make to drive down the time even more if you spend more time working at it. Good luck with future runs! This was fun to watch.

Quote:
Excellent run. The quality of the audio and video of the recording is good and I have no reason to believe there is any cheating involved.

The majority of the rooms were done quickly and smoothly. The runner clearly practised a lot and knew exactly what to do at every point of the run, making use of many clever tricks and shortcuts. The final time seemed to be a bit more than 21:00, which constitutes a major improvement over the existing run posted on SDA.

There is some room for improvement, however, which could shave off a few seconds off this run. In a few occasions the runner appeared to take a few seconds to aim precisely, but I guess this can be partly forgiven as (s)he used an Xbox360 controller, rather than the more responsive and precise keyboard + mouse combo. Near the final portion of the run, during the escape sequence, the runner appeared to be a tiny bit disoriented at two points, but that only cost him a second or two in total. During this same portion of the game, the runner also notably appeared to miss a few shots, which again costed a few precious seconds.

Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and admire the runner's ability to make such a big improvement over the existing run. Well done!

Conclusion: Accept

Quote:
Wha... Wait what? I even have and explanation of how that trick works and I still went back 4 times to loot at it. That alone was worth amazing and awesomeness. I like how much for fluent the run has become compared to the current run.

I approve this run for SDA.

Quote:
Just finished watching the run (I had some trouble downloading it as my computer somehow didn't manage to download the whole thing until today.)

A/V quality: very good.
Cheating: at first I thought there was some minor cheating going on due to the positioning of some portals and where he ended up afterwords but the comments clear his name.

Timing starting from player control to end game is 21:01.

There's a whole bunch of awesome new tricks being used that I didn't even know where possible or people probably omitted due to the run being single segment.

He had some hesitation in some of the later test chambers which are understandable but that just proves that he could've shaved off a few more seconds had he not hesitated.

My verdict: accept it since it's a 2-3 and a half minute improvement over the current run and a well played one at that.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a big improvement over the current run.
Thread title:  
Balls jerky
We love you Cody Miller!
gamelogs.org
THIS RUN USES SCRIPTS    REJECT
You should end up with this. By the way I think Mike was right. This site accepts runs that have the basic enviroment. Game, you, controller, monitor period. I know what script is, and its not the original game. You did something to it to react different for your keypress. unless i am mistaken this is not a tiny-miny thing... Maybe I am wrong but the point of SDA is the following: if you sit in front of a console or pc you have a chance to beat the last run without modifying anything! I think thats the essence of it and now you, valve players, ruin the past. Isn't it fast enough? Bow to it. Its so trivial.
sorry its quoted to arkarian. not for this run. Smiley
Edit history:
moooh: 2011-05-05 06:35:47 am
Exoray
ark wasn't being serious though Smiley

GJ Cody! Hope there's no water issues in this one Wink
For the record, there are scripts in the original game.
Of course, there's also sv_cheats 1;noclip built into the game, but we don't talk about that.
Edit history:
Sonikkustar: 2011-05-06 01:43:43 pm
The Great Farming Empire
Dont even remind us of that idiotic discussion. I cant believe someone got banned because of it.

Also, Congrats Cody Miller! Hoping to see it soon.
we have lift off
Quote from Sonikkustar:
Dont even remind us of that idiotic discussion. I cant believe someone got banned because of it.

Yeah that discussion, 20 others and about 10 official warnings...
Both I and the verifiers timed this as 21:01. Why is it listed as 21:37 upon posting?
Exoray
Timing has previously been to the last white frame of the fading out I believe, while it seems the verifiers timed it to be the last core explosion of GLaDOS?
Edit history:
CMiller: 2011-10-15 12:57:37 pm
It's always been upon the last action which ends the game, which is how the last one was timed.
Waiting hurts my soul...
I can't speak to this run specifically, but SDA timing stops when character control stops, not on the last game determining action. Double Dragon II doesn't end when the boss is defeated, it ends when the screen fades completely to black. I'm sure there are similar examples.
Claimh Happy
I'm confused by some of the strategies you considered too risky (Chamber 16 being the largest example. I'd do that in any setting), but at the same time I must admit I have no experience with the xBox version of the game, so that could easily be the source of my confusion. Good execution for the strats you did try, even if you were hesitant at points. Congratulations, Cody.
Why did you delete the Portal PC run and replace it with an interior one?
Exoray
We haven't replaced anything besides the old Xbox360 run.

The PC Portal was moved from the main site earlier this year since it uses scripts, which are no longer acceptable here. You can find the scripted runs here still: http://speeddemosarchive.com/RunsWithScripts.html
train kept rollin
Again any chance. That link will be found anywhere other than random posts?
Exoray
yeah once we figure out where.
A sticky in the PC Games section would be perfectly fine, I would think.
Svart Lyser Tronen
All Half-Life relevant games that used to be on SDA are linked from http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/_halflife_1__2_runs_collected.html
Maybe it's time to add Portal runs there too.
Hopefully Inexistence will be able to arrange to have all the script-using Half Life and Portal series runs hosted, with their comments, on SourceRuns, and then SDA can forget about the old scripted runs entirely. I'll bring it up when I meet him in the flesh in about a week's time.
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
We're meeting in the flesh in a week's time? Awesome. I'm sure we'll iron out some details then! Cheesy
Does this mean I have to redo the StatID?
Not a walrus
Only if it bothers you.