--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from BananasaurusRex:
Quote from RøvRapunzel:
Quote from BananasaurusRex:
I posted this everywhere else so.. hell, why not. Here's a video of me soloing mp_coop_fan in 50 seconds.

480p: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SN5D7QN0
1080p: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=57RJ7ZAW

Why would you put up a megaupload link, have you heard of youtube??

Because we upload all our official content on my partner's channel in full courses after editing. I don't want to start posting the same stuff on two different youtube channels, in a half-assed format on one of them. It was just a quick upload to show the run, relax. Can't you wait two minutes for a 50MB video to download?

You could post the demo file instead.
What would be the difference between posting a demo file and a compressed fraps recording? I don't really use demos.
I would have edited this in to my other post but I wasn't logged in. I suppose it would be a much smaller file to download, but unfortunately I use fraps to record in full hd and make sure there are no demo glitches, so I don't have any demos.
Just something I found near the end of "sp_a3_end" (no pun intended).

Nice! Jumps like this make me really want to run this!
Did a run on sp_a3_03.... it seems that the elevator skip doesnt really cut that much, unless you do the super jump to the railing but it still only shaves off a couple of seconds.

Every second saved is another one less on the final time. So the elevator skip should be used, with the super jump to the railing. Nice vid, though.
I agree with you that you should use every shortcut possible, but I couldn't manage to get the super jump on demo without host_timescale.

Here's my run on sp_a3_portal_intro, its a bit messy but I didn't want to stick on this level too long.
Did a run on sp_a3_jump_intro. I timed all the shortcuts found but going with button save glitches all the way is the fastest, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Those look really nice, Wilco. I think the save glitch removes a lot of possible entertainment... but it speeds up things a lot... so I guess it's okay. Is it enough to warrant a separate category?
Quote from Blazier:
Those look really nice, Wilco. I think the save glitch removes a lot of possible entertainment... but it speeds up things a lot... so I guess it's okay. Is it enough to warrant a separate category?
I couldn't agree more. The button save glitch is "too easy", but when its the fastest way to go, it should be used. Portal 2 is a lot more scripted than Portal, and valve already removed loads of 'possible entertainment' in doing so (e.g. triggers to make specific surfaces accept portals, watch?v=o2U1ybFnbhk)
I'm pretty sure the single segment category serves as a fine way to do a run that doesn't use the button save glitch. Although other parts of that run may not be as fancy as possible, but that doesn't matter, as those are already in the segmented run.

Also, I'm interested and, since I have a new computer, able to start work on a proper co-op run. Anyone else who would like to get some serious work done? And I'm not saying that there aren't any serious runners working on stuff, but by far most of it is glitchless. Which isn't what we're aiming for here.
King Laskdjf
Quote from Scepheo:
Also, I'm interested and, since I have a new computer, able to start work on a proper co-op run. Anyone else who would like to get some serious work done? And I'm not saying that there aren't any serious runners working on stuff, but by far most of it is glitchless. Which isn't what we're aiming for here.

We're aiming for the fastest times, that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be riddled with glitches.
There's nothing stopping anyone doing a non button glitch run, just it probably wont be accepted here as the fastest run.

Still, I'm pretty sure a lot of YouTube glitch haters will thank you for it.
Quote from adzicents:
We're aiming for the fastest times, that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be riddled with glitches.

I meant that most runs you find sacrifice time to avoid glitches.

Quote from NabsterHax:
Still, I'm pretty sure a lot of YouTube glitch haters will thank you for it.

And this is why. But we shouldn't avoid glitches.
From the SDA rules: "Players are expected to use every method at their disposal, including glitches, to minimize time; side issues such as entertainment are secondary."

And I really don't think anyone here cares what YouTubers think :p
I just fund a way to skip the lift in sp_a3_end Smiley
Sorry for the sound, youtube fucked it up.

LMAO what the hell. I can't believe there's actually gel in that pipe. Awesome find. Never thought skipping that lift would be possible.
It took me quite a long time to figure out how to use it. Now that I have found it though it seems like the method I use is put in the game deliberately. It may be a glitch but it seems strange that you can bounce off the tube. Also that the tube is put further way from the two others and that there is a hole in the invisible wall exactly where you bounce off to when you get to the top.
Nice find! I think what's happening with the pipe is that, in game model terms, the pipe is filled with bouncy gel. (Some simulation/verisimilitude, I guess.)

But it's common practice for level designers to not bother with basic physics properties on objects that are only visible, not reachable. It helps the game go faster, among other reasons.

So I think the pipe back isn't an actual physical object in the world, it's just there for show. So you're bouncing through the pipe-back, on the gel (that's modeled "properly") inside the pipe.

Like I said, a nice find. Smiley
Strange, a bit "tin-foil hat" but there are a lot of things in the game that almost seem to be intended for glitching/speed-running.
Quote from NabsterHax:
Strange, a bit "tin-foil hat" but there are a lot of things in the game that almost seem to be intended for glitching/speed-running.

Yeah, I know what you mean....  I'm least portals running Portal 2, and it's a bloody endless stream of miracles so far.
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from Negatratoron:
Yeah, I know what you mean....  I'm least portals running Portal 2, and it's a bloody endless stream of miracles so far.

Did you finish the updated Portal 1 Least Portals run?
Quote from DemonStrate:
Quote from Negatratoron:

Did you finish the updated Portal 1 Least Portals run?

Not yet, I've been playing other games.  I'll record it one of these days.

I have a question for you: Did you physically do chamber 19 with three portals or did you just figure out a theoretical route?  For some reason, the chamber 19 glitch does not work unless you shoot more than one portal at the angled panel.  You can't just aim and shoot; you have to shoot twice.  If you're just experimenting to find routes, you'll generally shoot multiple times as you position your portal for the glitch, so that detail would be easy to miss.  So yeah, I still haven't found a way to get through it using less than 4 portals (though I haven't spent much time looking), and if you used the angled panel glitch, I suspect that you might not have either.  Just want to be sure that I'm not chasing wild geese as I investigate chamber 19.
very cool sourtcut