List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/PokemonYellow.html

Segmented save abuse glitches run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I would suggest to the runner adding a link to the TAS comments mentioned in the run comments. That link is http://tasvideos.org/3256S.html

The video itself looks fine. No problems with audio either.

I don't see any evidence of cheating.

Manual Timing:

Segment 1: 40.74 seconds from selecting New Game until resetting. 8.90 from gaining control of the player's sprite.
Segment 2: 30.47 seconds until he enters room with Oak (I guess you could call this the ending cutscene?). 38.80 seconds until he finishes talking to Oak.

Total: Somewhere between 0:46 and 1:11. I don't know which times from those two segments would be considered SDA timing. I'll add those together when someone tells me. Actually, would this even use manual timing?

In-Game Timer: 0:00 (0 hours and 0 minutes.)

Verdict: Accept. There wasn't really anything left to optimize with this method. Risk of messing up his cart seems like pretty good justification for not using the faster method to me.

Quote:

What just happened?

err...

umm...

accept?

Alright, enough joking around.  The runner just glitched this game to oblivion, no doubt making his TAS companions proud.  Really there isn't much else to say here, other than accept since the runner techincally didn't really cheat and did...

what would you call this?  the "Go straight to the end" game glitch?

Gah, forget it, accept. 

If we can, let's not post the Glitch time on the game list, it would be confusing to figure out how Pokemon yellow is faster than Clue... >_<

Quote:
No video or audio problems. I got a total time of about 79 seconds, from the time he hit New Game to the "save," then when he loaded again to the time Oak says "Your Pokemon are champions!"

Accept. A fine show of skill (I think).

Quote:
aCCEPT - nO AUDIO VIDEO OR CHEATING PROBLEMS

Quote:
Audio and video look fine, no evidence of cheOH GOD WHY DID HE TURN OFF HALF WAY THROUGH SAVING?

Easy accept, been waiting to see someone achieve this real time for a while, great job.

Quote:
Nice little save corruption abuse run, a/v is fine, not much else to say about it other than "accept".

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Mark 'werster' McKenzie!
Thread title:  
SEGA Junkie
I guess that answers the question of whether save corruption is allowed as a category.

GJ getting the 0 though. The displayed time on the site will be amusing...
WTF???!!!!
I didn't know it was possible on console! And how this glitch didn't destroy his cartridge? And I'm wondering how many times he tried to do this frame perfect hard reset. I can't wait to watch it.
Edit history:
Alko: 2012-04-24 03:36:08 pm
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
So we have a new Clue =D
Congratulations!
Fucking Weeaboo
Damn.  I was wondering if it was possible.  Glad to see it is.  GOOD JOB!
Catchin' them all
Nice. It was only a matter of time before one did this. Congrats Mark! Smiley

One question though, in what category does this fall? Like, for example, if one does a run that somewhat follows my run or uses the extended ZZAZZ (which I doubt, I don't know anyone who has ever done one on the cartridge and the one I do know was so vague, I don't believe him), would this run beat that or would they be separate categories? I'm guessing they would be, because the runs would be very different.
This is save-corruption run, so it will be different category, but I don't think anyone is so stupid to do ZZAZZ glitch on real cardridge. Does anyone know how many save-corruption runs we have up on SDA? I'm curious.
SEGA Junkie
I'm pretty confident this is the first one - there hasn't even really been a ruling on it. But since this has been accepted it clearly does now exist as its own category.
ZZAZZ if possible would obselete the current 'glitched' run as opposed to 'save corruption' despite looking more like save corruption. And several of us have tried ZZAZZ, it just didn't work, I'm still 100% confident that it's an emulator glitch, I don't even know why that run is still on TASvideos when the runner himself said it was a glitch that only worked on a specfic emulator (VBA 23.5 i think it was?) There might be something that works with it though, it'd just come under glitched rather than save corruption or whatever though
Edit history:
Thomaz: 2012-04-26 09:26:58 am
Catchin' them all
Fusik: I've tried to do it, but I'd always get stuck because the game wouldn't let me scroll items. Sad I had a run for Yellow recorded until the patch of grass next to Lavender Town, but I gave up.

And yeah, it's probably an emulator glitch sadly. There are quite a few other things we've tried, but they didn't work either (202 spc comes to mind).
Have you tried all possible special stats? According to Bulbapedia it works with 251, 252, 254 or 255. But I don't think it's worth it because it's dangerous to your game and it's not as impressive as save corruption run. Probably it is emulator bug because Gameboy can't handle so much glitched data and freezes like in your attempt (Do you have this video?) I saw few movies on YouTube and most of them end up with freeze. I'm wondering about this:

Is Red version more stable when it comes to ZZAZZ glitch, or this guy just played on an emulator?
Catchin' them all
I haven't tried all stats, only 254, because that one is supposed to be stable.

And I disagree, I'd say this version of ZZAZZ would be way more impressive then a save corruption run since it requires a very different route (and a lot more work in the end).

He played on the emulator. I was able to get that to work on the emulator as well, it just won't work on the real cart. I suppose I could try it out with different stats though, maybe that'd work.
Edit history:
gia: 2012-04-26 11:52:07 am
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from Thomaz:
Nice. It was only a matter of time before one did this. Congrats Mark! Smiley

One question though, in what category does this fall? Like, for example, if one does a run that somewhat follows my run or uses the extended ZZAZZ (which I doubt, I don't know anyone who has ever done one on the cartridge and the one I do know was so vague, I don't believe him), would this run beat that or would they be separate categories? I'm guessing they would be, because the runs would be very different.

oh screw you, save corruption is harder to believe and there you go

save corruption is save corruption, zzazz is major glitches, they are different, whether sda cares or not is different of course

like i said how many years ago? get me the save and ill do my best to help you, problem is you never got me the save
Catchin' them all
Huh, gia, I wasn't talking about you. I believed you. I didn't believe some guy who posted in the published run's thread of P4wners TAS Red run: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10502&start=40

Sorry that I never send you the save. Sad It's lost now though, but I could rerun it.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
ah ok lol, well dont want to waste your time running it just to figure out if it works or not, unless thats a goal you yourself have, in that case I could help you out