List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet / http://speeddemosarchive.com/PokemonRedBlue.html

SS Door Glitch any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
        This is an excellent glitch run making use of one of the more uncommon, albeit very well documented glitches of the early Pokemon games. It is certainly an entertaining to watch. There is no grinding, no leveling, just a prime example of how well speedrunners have broken games to achieve the best times, which is certainly not a bad thing. The game is abused to it's full potential, and the result is certainly magnificent. The run creates a strong precedent for future runs of this game to come, whether they be glitched or otherwise.

As for a writeup, there isn't really much to write about. The runner starts off grabbing the potion from the PC, but then continues as a normal run should, although they choose Charmander, as opposed to the usual Squirtle.  The starter pokemon used doesn't affect the run, so this is simply a matter of preference, although one can be confident to say that Charmander was probably chosen simply because it was the nearest to the runner. The rival battle certainly went well with no missed attacks, but one can't help but notice that after the battle he briefly faces the wrong way, which while unintended, happens commonly after battles in all Generation I games. After a brief conversation, the runner's rival will leave the screen, and then magically vanishes into the endless abyss known as “Offscreen” as he always does. The runner then ventures from Pallet Town up to Viridian City(ok... Masara Town to Tokiwa City in this case)  while successfully avoiding wild battles on Route 1. In Viridian/Tokiwa City, the runner obtains Oak's Parcel and continues back to Pallet/Masara Town, stopping along the way to open up the menu, with the location of which and the actions performed an essential part of this run. After a brief, yet necessary, battle with a Pidgey you can start to see the effects of the glitch starting with Charmander's beefed up HP bar and his 30 out of 12 HP. The runner then circles around Oak's Lab as he needs to take a few necessary steps for the glitch to take effect, at this point with things starting to get a little weird. You'll notice the larger man walking over the barricade and into the small fenced in area. The runner then advances north and walks up to your rival's homefront, where one normally would unintentionally obtain a Town Map from Daisy, but is instead greeted by the exterior of the house by the top of Route 16. The runner then enters through the rear of the home, only to find themselves in the building that connects Route 16 and Celadon City(or in this case Tamamusha City). After managing to successfully exit this building through it's actual exit, the runner then proceeds to walk over a tree, a very difficult feat which he performs with seemingly minimal effort. The character enters Celadon/Tamamusha City, and enters their world renowned shopping center, only to end up in a mess of tiles, trees, and worst of all, math. He is then greeted by a familiar voice, the owner of which he cannot see, to congratulate him for his efforts, meanwhile all the character wants to do is escape this terrible nightmare in which everywhere he attempts to go is somewhere totally different. At this point the Hall of Fame entrance cutscene is initiated, with a very impressive time on the clock.

One can be certain that the forgotten grandson of Oak, the runner's rival, certainly isn't pleased with the outcome of this glitch compared to the massive amount of time he spent raising his Pokemon when he could have just entered his home instead(What's wrong with him?).

Back to seriousness, I see no reason not to accept this run. The only issue I have seen, being very minor, is that the video quality isn't perfect nor stunning, but is certainly acceptable and easy to overlook given the content of the run. I attached a few screens which I felt were the best shots that I could come up with as well as the necessary shot of the title screen as well. Also, I believe this belongs in the red and blue page, but I feel it necessary to change the url to /PokemonRedBlueGreen.html as it is a different game and I feel it needs to be represented as such.

Quote:
Quality of this video is the only bad thing about this run. But its not bad to the point where this should not be for a gameboy game. Accept for epic nostalgia.

Quote:
There's not much to say, other than the people who do this glitch usually get 0:05 as the overall time and this one manages 0:04. Visual quality is lacking a bit, but it's passable. I think the time could have been lower if the runner got critical hits or maybe followed the TAS strategy and lost the first fight. Since the timer doesn't show seconds, it isn't known how close it was to 0:03, but I guarantee that first battle eats up most of the time. Other than that, I think this is a neat little run and should be accepted to SDA.

Quote:
The run is well planned out and executed, the only issue I can find being the video quality (to me the screen seems to be shaking slightly), but after a few seconds I forgot about it due to the sheer awesomeness of this glitch.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Nicholas 'Sir VG' Hoppe!
Thread title:  
Fucking Weeaboo
I figure based upon my recording time I was in the high 0:04 time range - but it's gonna come down to getting major luck during the Rival Battle to cut most of that time down.  I also was told that I don't have to actually kill the one Pokemon I fight - just select fight and then run (though I've never tested it myself).  From what I was told just selecting fight then backing out (without actually doing any actual fighting) changes the game enough so it doesn't crash due to a Lv 0 Pokemon.  But hey, the leveling up glitch here is funny as hell anyways.

Also need to fix my submission notes.  My copy of Green is a v1.1 copy, which in my notes I stated that it was fixed in the v1.1 copies (obviously it wasn't).

Still though, thanks to the verifiers for accepting my first Pokemon run.  Now I need to get off my lazy ass sometime and finish up the glitched Pokemon Yellow Run.
sda loyalist
Yes you can just run away instead of killing it, I believe the TAS does this.
Balls jerky
brb improving this using that new knowledge
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2011-10-21 10:12:17 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
If you can pull off the extreme luck needed to beat (or lose to) the rival in 3 hits, get no random encounters (except the one you need to trigger the glitch), and do everything correctly to get a 0:03 dballin, then I say bravo. Tongue
Balls jerky
I don't even have the game Cheesy
Fucking Weeaboo
Well, your life officially sucks then. Tongue