List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/PokemonRedBlue.html

SS any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I'm going to assume it's just me, then. Nothing else was wrong with the run. Gameplay was smooth and there wasn't a sign of cheating.

Quote:
This is basically an improved version of the earlier run, including fewer execution mistakes and battle plans that are often both safer and more efficient (compared to what I remember), especially toward the end. There are still a few close calls though, as well as some other bonuses like a much better encode and a few amusing game bugs Cheesy The final result of this is sub-2 hours for a single segment good grief. Accepted as an improvement to the improvement.

Quote:
Audio/Video: Fine.

Signs of cheating: None, although you have to feel sorry for those poor programmers who've had their work ripped apart. Go X-Accuracy!

Notes: A very slick run, no obvious errors and incredibly well executed. Your DVs were evidently much better this time. And as stated above: we've finally got the sub 2 hour SS, wow.

Very impressive run, Accept all the way.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Mark 'werster' McKenzie!
Thread title:  
SEGA Junkie
I'll just note it here: this run, when it is posted on the site, should obsolete the existing Blue SS, the Red SS that should never have been kept on the site, and the Red segmented. The differences between Red and Blue are inconsequential in a speedrun setting, no more than 15 seconds regardless of how the run goes and, in the ideal case, zero.
Do a speedrun in Red/Blue use the same Pokemon? Are there no other differences?
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2012-04-24 12:31:31 pm
MAS8705: 2012-04-24 12:31:05 pm
MAS8705: 2012-04-24 12:31:02 pm
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Really the only difference between the two are a few pokemon, however if you are using just the starter pokemon (or pokemon that are in both versions) then Mike89 has a point.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Blue_Versions#Version_exclusives

If any speed runs do not featured any of these pokemon, then I'm sure Mike is correct.
SEGA Junkie
The Pokemon you get in the run are as follows:
Squirtle, always
Route 3: Pidgey/Spearow
Mt Moon: Try for Paras
If no Paras, Blue can try for Sandshrew on Route 4 (which would skip Lapras later)
If no Sandshrew, then Oddish/Bellsprout on Route 6
If Spearow and no Oddish/Bellsprout, you can trade Spearow for Farfetch'd in Vermilion
If no Sandshrew, Lapras in Silph Co.

The ideal case is to get Paras because that means you don't have to try for Pokemon anywhere else, and that strategy is completely identical on both versions.

Potential version differences:
Only Blue can get Sandshrew, so if you take that option on Route 4 and encounter it first go, then I think it's slightly faster, but I've never actually timed it out.
If you get Oddish or Bellsprout on Route 6, when you go to teach Cut, Bellsprout has four moves and Oddish doesn't, so Red gains an advantage here.

All the trainers have identical Pokemon in both versions, so wild Pokemon are the only differences.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
So does that mean that Red has to get either Paras or Oddish and Lapras? On the face of it sounds like Red is very marginally slower, but that a Red w/Paras is faster (all other things being equal) than a Blue without, but Mike's right - the differences are so minimal and the optimum strats are identical in both versions anyway that a Blue SS should still obsolete a slower Red SS.
Edit history:
Alko: 2012-04-24 04:23:44 pm
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Maybe it should be called 'Pokémon red/blue'. 'Blue/Red' also acceptable.

I forgot to add congratulations here, so now I shall:
Congratulations! xD
Catchin' them all
Yes, I agree with everyone here that it should obsolete the Red SS (it was honestly not really good. Sad ) and Red segmented. This was a very good run, congrats yet again! Smiley
Ben Goldberg
It's been almost 4 years since I completed my 1:59 segmented run. I haven't even been on SDA in 6 months. I decided to visit today and what do you know, someone finally beat my record, single segment no less! I'm very interested to watch the run and see how this was possible without major glitches. Should be fun to watch!
Hey wait a second!  The run comments say there's audio commentary!  Am I just missing it, was it not put in, or is there just no commentary?
Pheenoh the mean-o
Quote from Icthus:
Hey wait a second!  The run comments say there's audio commentary!  Am I just missing it, was it not put in, or is there just no commentary?

Yeah, I noticed this as well. I looked for a second audio track but there wasn't one.
Doin Good
His internet isn't much right now (hope you don't mind me just throwing this out there), but if audio comments was mentioned in the textual commentary, and the people demand it, I'll do what I can to convince him!
SEGA Junkie
I was just talking to him about this last night actually - there was audio commentary recorded but he lost it with a hard drive crash, or something like that. Bottom line is you're not getting what was originally recorded. I guess there's nothing to say he couldn't record it again, but I suspect that's not going to happen.
Yeah sorry guys I was moving eveyrthing from one external hard drive to another and it all got lost, and I really don't feel like doing commentary for the same run twice (and completely forgot to remove it from the comments) I'd rather just come back to this run in a year or two and beat it, and redo the commentary then, I can definately squeeze this down to 1:56 or so.
Food goes in here
hey werster since you dont have an account i couldnt PM you but, with your permission I'd like to post your run to the SDA youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedDemosArchiveSDA?feature=mhum

Cheesy
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/profile/wersterlobe.html
Food goes in here
whoops thanks Parax lol