Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Bart 'The Void' De Waal's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: accept, it's well done and looks clean, nice tricks too

Quote:
Hey, here is the verification for the Penumbra tech demo run.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audio and video are great. There was definitely no cheating

This was a pretty easy run to verify. The speed and flow of the runner was spot-on. There is no way to improve this run (except maybe quicker keypad pressing).

I cannot imagine any reason why this would be rejected. Nothing to gripe about.

Quote:
Haha, I definitely didn't expect it to be so quick. A couple clever tricks, and it's already over! That's a great example of how research should be done. Cheesy
A/V is perfect, no cheating, etc.

Accept for sure.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Sorry, just because this run is a demo doesn't mean it's shorter than Clue.
Thread title:  
Hey, The Void, I hadn't played this game before but I got ahold of a copy of this run and watched it, and after doing so I decided to download the game and played it through. After doing so and realising that this game is actually fairly lengthy, I'm fairly impressed by the run, though I wasn't sure how the tricks in the first room worked. Perhaps this stuff will be explained in your comments, but how are you able to get on top of the lockers in what appears to be a single jump from the ground? Also, do you know how the trick where you can grab stuff through the roofs of the lockers when crouching works, or only that it works?

Finally, I had an idea for a tweak to your method that might save maybe half a second. After grabbing the metal rod, there's enough distance before the next door to jump. Whilst moving through the air, you can enter the inventory and equip the rod before you hit the ground, saving all the time spent in the inventory in front of the door you use the rod on. The only downside is having to barge through the door after you grab the rod instead of being able to grab it with the hand to push it open before you touch it, but I would guess that this costs only a fraction of the time that not having to enter the inventory in front of the keypad door saves. Alternatively, and ideally, you could try to whip the rod into one of the hotkey slots in midair, then use the hand to push the door, then immediately whip the rod out with the hotkey and use it on the next door, but I'm not sure how humanly possible that would be.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
I really want to see a speedrun of this whole game. Any interest Bart?
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
but how are you able to get on top of the lockers in what appears to be a single jump from the ground?

I jump on and off the padlock. It's a bit trickier than it seems.

Also, do you know how the trick where you can grab stuff through the roofs of the lockers when crouching works, or only that it works?

It just works for some reason Smiley When you crouch there somehow you can grab the card through it.

Finally, I had an idea for a tweak to your method that might save maybe half a second. After grabbing the metal rod, there's enough distance before the next door to jump. Whilst moving through the air, you can enter the inventory and equip the rod before you hit the ground, saving all the time spent in the inventory in front of the door you use the rod on. The only downside is having to barge through the door after you grab the rod instead of being able to grab it with the hand to push it open before you touch it, but I would guess that this costs only a fraction of the time that not having to enter the inventory in front of the keypad door saves. Alternatively, and ideally, you could try to whip the rod into one of the hotkey slots in midair, then use the hand to push the door, then immediately whip the rod out with the hotkey and use it on the next door, but I'm not sure how humanly possible that would be.

Yeah I guess putting it on a hotkey would be possible but pretty tricky to do fast.
The first method of barging through the door isn't that great, I think the time would even out because the door doesn't open very fast that way.

Quote from TheQuietMan:
I really want to see a speedrun of this whole game. Any interest Bart?

Such a run wouldn't be accepted on SDA, right? Unless there would be a major skips category Wink
Well, I don't know if I'll run the whole game like that. It's not that thrilling though, just some running to this and that place and grabbing stuff.
Edit history:
ExplodingCabbage: 2010-10-01 05:35:23 am
ExplodingCabbage: 2010-10-01 05:34:36 am
ExplodingCabbage: 2010-10-01 05:26:18 am
ExplodingCabbage: 2010-10-01 05:21:31 am
Something else I just found which you may or may not know about and which is probably slower than your current method, but which I thought I'd mention anyway; you can grab the ID card without ever getting on top of the lockers if you pull down the cardboard box from on top, jump on it, then lean towards the lockers and jump.

Edit: Actually, I can do better than that. Jump on the padlock, lean and swap to Interact mode. You'll be able to take the ID card whilst standing on the padlock. This I'm fairly sure is faster than your current method.

So, got any plans for a 0:23? Smiley
So, got any plans for a 0:23? Smiley

Heh Smiley Not anytime soon.