List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Segmented any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A little trivia I found a long time ago browsing qhimm.net: the game engine is actually based off that of FFVII. It was probably Squaresoft's first game to have full body textures before FFVIII.

One could say that Parasite Eve was an experiment. It's interesting to think about, the idea that developers would use spiritual sequel-type spinoffs to play around with the game code and use that programming experience to refine/add new mechanics to other more important games in production. Incidentally, said game turned out to be one of the better selling games on the PS1.

This is a game I thoroughly enjoy. Now I'm going to scrutinize the hell out of this run.

Segment 1 - The run is most certainly on a PS2. The segment is virtually flawless, though he gets hung up on a couple of event triggers in the save room. A few seconds lost at most, I think, but I can let it slide since a lot of these event triggers are stupidly programmed; you're practically hitting the X button on a pin.

For segmented RPG runs like PE, I like to recommend that the runner has a metric fuckton of memory cards available to save time in the save menu; save in slot one, load from slot two, keep only one file on each memory card.

Segment 2 - Eve II No Damage is a collossal pain in the ass. I played around with the idea of doing a No Damage run, but I gave up near the end of Day 2. All of the fights are smooth.

Segment 3 - Crocodile fight goes perfectly. Sub-14 minutes by the end of the segment.

Segment 4 - Grabs Aya's Vest and moves his stuff to the M4A1. The rest of the segment is all text-skipping.

Segment 5 - A couple of easy fights and grabbing some items.

Segment 6 - There's a missing chunk of video immediately after the loading screen, lasting about 10 seconds. Also, the music slows down and it sounds all distorted-like. Attributing to the "Capture glitch" in the runner's comments. There are no discrepancies between segments; he Tools the M203 into his M4A1 before fighting the two crows and the Monkey. All the other fights go smoothly.

Segment 7 - The Worms. Oh god, the worms. He manages to kill them before they merge into super-worm. He gets a laser on Eve III, but he disposes of her pretty quickly otherwise with the claw strat.

Segment 8 - The club thing is negligible. Lots of dialogue at the museum next, disassembles his guns into a submachine gun, talks to Warner, and saves the game.

Segment 9 - Takes care of the event markers in the basement to trigger the path to the boss fight. Grabs better armor and uses the buffs he's been bogarting up until now. I'm a tad iffy on how early he swaps out the rifle for the SMG, considering the TAS can luck manipulate the Random attribute. I can't think of any instances where he's really lost any time though. Difficult to draw a comparison =p

Segment 10 - Mostly text skipping, but he goes through the hospital basement. I can't remember whether there was a scripted battle in the room with the first fuse or not. If there is, then going the long way around would make sense. The TAS does the exact same thing.

Segment 11 - Morgue fights go smoothly, the mixed man gets put down without any hassle either. Gets the Micro UZ and moves all his stats to that. Saves in the lobby to luck manip the only random battle in the hospital. Short and sweet.

Segment 12 - Ties into Segment 11. Saves again for machine gun luck I'm assuming.

Segment 13 - The exchange that happens here between Aya and the Doctor is probably my favorite part of the game because of how ludicrous it is. If I met someone who had that exaggerated of a reaction to the mention of a sperm bank and was like "I don't have time to explain!", I'd probably be a little weirded out too.

Segment 14 - He very quickly makes the Spider Brain his bitch. Cue more dialogue and the end of Day 4.

Segment 15 - Gets the First Strike modifier right off the bat... However, there's another video glitch here at 0:55. The music immediately cuts in. Takes out the trash, grabs another Tool, saves again.

Segment 16 - He can cut out the luck manipulation now that he finally gets the Shotgun modifier and creates... A Submachine Shotgun. It's a good thing recoil is not an attribute in this game.

Segment 17 - Centipede fight was good. Clean segment.

Segment 18 - A lot of fighting and BP distribution where applicable. Nothing to worry about.

Segment 19 - Nice on the RNG manipulation. I didn't realize it would work that way. Triceratops and T-Rex fights were good, he gets the 2x Command modifier.

Segment 20 - He gets Liberate here. More RNG manipulation. Cutscenes.

Segment 21 - My favorite track of the game. Eve gets wrecked.

Segment 22 - From Creepy Baby to Captain Big Balls to "We're in Hell's Kitchen!", the final fight goes well.

Verdict: Easy accept. At 2:25:17, this is a great first run. Beats the Ultima Garden time by a landslide, too.

Quote:
Huh?  WHAT?  Are you trying to startle an old man to death?  How dare you wake me up from my sleep.  Damn young punks, why I oughta...

Fine.  You apparently have another video for me to verify then, huh?  My one video verification wasn't enough?  Well, fine.  I'll watch.

So this game is one of those "cinematic RPGs" from the late '90s, huh?  At least it's a GOOD game.  Unlike those damn sequel thingies they keep putting out.  One and done, the way it SHOULD have been.  Now granted the game isn't perfect.  The only thing that is perfect is me.  Yeah, take that you stupid whippersnappers.

My first complain is this runner is WEAK.  Weak children need to segment their runs.  Only real gamers, the best of the best, the cream of the crop, do it in one sitting.  Why back in my day, we didn't have the ability to save!  No sir, we had to play the game from start to finish in one sitting AND WE LIKED IT.  Yes some of the games from my glory days had passwords, but they were stupid and poorly programmed.  Except for that ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER password.  That was GENIUS.  Though I hear that Nintendo couldn't allow the awesomeness of the password to exist anymore - I hear it crashes that new fangled 3DS thingy.  Bah.  3D.  Who needs it.  We don't even need a 3rd dimension.  TWO DIMENSIONS.  UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A.  Yeah, those things.  Ah, the glory days.

As long as I'm talking about things that are unnecessary, how about those stupid CUTSCENES.  What is it with you new fangled gamers are your cutscene thingies?  Why, in my day, it was all in your HEAD.  There were no "cutscenes" and they definitely weren't pre-rendered!  All they do is take up unnecessary space.  That's why you stupid kids need these DVD and Blu-Ray thingies.  Why in my day, we had cartridges AND WE LIKED IT.  A couple hundred KB of memory was all WE needed.  Bah, you young punks wouldn't understand.

And I'm sure you don't listen either.  You probably have your ears stuck in headphones listening to the music of this game.  Now I wouldn't discredit the sound, but back in the good old days, we didn't have this type of sound to work with.  We were lucky to be able to go past bloops and bleeps!  And when we did, we got better more memorable melodies then you have today!  How many songs do you remember from your new fangled favorite game today?  Know how many I remember from the best game of my era?  ALL OF THEM.  Now bad for an old man who fought in the great wars.  Why, when I was younger, I headed overseas and fell in love with a young woman from France.  Never understood a word the lass said, but damn she knew how to treat a man right.  Made good sandwiches too.  But then, alas, she was killed by a ninja in blue garb.  During a cutscene.  Tis a pity.

After that, I was sent further east, to Germany.  Do those people know how to brew a beer.  Pity I had to kill the bartender in order to avoid paying my tab.  You don't like it?  Blame the purple croc that stole my wallet!  I did get it back and left a 15 cent tip on the counter.  That should have made amends to the family!  I mean, that was a LOT of money to leave for a tip.

Oh, and I can't forget about that gorgeous blonde I met in Berlin!  Wore a nice long blue cloak.  Very shapely.  Ahhh, the glory days.

What, you want me to tell you about the VIDEO?  Now about all the women I met in the past?  The glory days of my life?  Get off my lawn then!

Oh, and the video was fine, for a game from the semi-glory days.  Now, don't make me hit you with my cane.  GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Quote:
I was going to write something more lengthy here, but the run looks good other than the aforementioned sound issues. Sorry it took so long.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Adam 'puwexil' Dunn!

Major extra apologies to puwexil, as I told him that I'd post this verification by the beginning of November if his last verifier didn't respond. I'm 19 days late. Sorry!
Thread title:  
Professional Second Banana
Thanks to all of the verifiers who responded!  I'll assume that verifier #2's comments are code for "The run was awesome!  ACCEPT! ACCEPT! ACCEPT!"

Quote:
For segmented RPG runs like PE, I like to recommend that the runner has a metric fuckton of memory cards available to save time in the save menu; save in slot one, load from slot two, keep only one file on each memory card.

I tried to use my PS3 to make copies of my save files on the same memory card, so I could always load from slot one, but was stymied by the save slot #'s being unchangable.  I never thought about using a 2nd memory card so I could make offline copies that way - will definitely do that next time I do a segmented run of a PS1 game.

Quote:
Segment 6 - There's a missing chunk of video immediately after the loading screen, lasting about 10 seconds. Also, the music slows down and it sounds all distorted-like. Attributing to the "Capture glitch" in the runner's comments. There are no discrepancies between segments; he Tools the M203 into his M4A1 before fighting the two crows and the Monkey. All the other fights go smoothly.

I attributed this to a combination of a bad load from the disc and the "music glitch" (if you die or soft-reset during a battle and then load a save file, often when you re-enter the area where you died/reset, the music will pick up where it left off instead of starting from the beginning of the track).  I believe the only other segment that had the music glitch was #15 (when entering Chinatown).  From talking to other people it sounded like the brief audio distortion was due to a dropped frame in my VirtualDub capture, which I somehow managed to completely miss until after rewatching the whole run after completion (would have redone the segment despite the incredible crit luck I got here if I'd have caught the audio issue sooner).

Quote:
Segment 9 - Takes care of the event markers in the basement to trigger the path to the boss fight. Grabs better armor and uses the buffs he's been bogarting up until now. I'm a tad iffy on how early he swaps out the rifle for the SMG, considering the TAS can luck manipulate the Random attribute. I can't think of any instances where he's really lost any time though. Difficult to draw a comparison =p

I thought about sticking with the rifle or some other non-machine gun weapon longer into Day 3 and possibly into Day 4 (which I'd likely do for an RTA or single-segment run); but ultimately decided that for a segmented run, a mix of machine gun luck manipulation and use of PE Energy Shot would give the fastest possible battles.

Quote:
Segment 10 - Mostly text skipping, but he goes through the hospital basement. I can't remember whether there was a scripted battle in the room with the first fuse or not. If there is, then going the long way around would make sense. The TAS does the exact same thing.

There is a battle trigger next to the northwest exit in the Fuse 1 room, so I took the longer way out to avoid that battle.

Quote:
Segment 13 - The exchange that happens here between Aya and the Doctor is probably my favorite part of the game because of how ludicrous it is. If I met someone who had that exaggerated of a reaction to the mention of a sperm bank and was like "I don't have time to explain!", I'd probably be a little weirded out too.

Not to mention that the sperm bank area of the hospital conveniently has records about car accidents and organ transplants inside.  That silliness plus the strange Aya/Doctor/Nurse convos are practically 180-degree differences from the creepy atmosphere/lighting/camera angles in the basement, and make the Hospital my favorite dungeon area in the game.

Quote:
Segment 16 - He can cut out the luck manipulation now that he finally gets the Shotgun modifier and creates... A Submachine Shotgun. It's a good thing recoil is not an attribute in this game.

And that the same kind of ammunition can power pistols, rifles, machine guns, and nonsensical hybrids.
Remember your mantra.
I can't hardly wait to see this one.
Great job.