List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/PaperMarioTTYD.html

Mark Wong's PAL run

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
Verifier: Paper Mario TTYD, if done on the NTSC version would have beat the current run by over an hour. The biggest help was the addition of the power badges to make boss fights last only a few turns at most. There were a couple of times he ran into enemies he shouldn't have, but i did not notice any other mistakes, at least inside of battles. Mistakes in a turnbased RPG like this shouldn't exist since each battle only lasts a few seconds. It is a definite improvement, so i approve of this one.

Quote:
Mikwuyma,

Thank you for allowing me to be a verifier for the new run of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

I can verify that the runner did not cheat, as I did not see or spot any instance of statistical indifference.

The run had good quality throughout, and the actual game play was very good. I have a personal favourite segment, segment 06, in which he battles the Siren Sisters for the first time.

Throughout the run I could only spot one error in the runners attempt, and that is in segment 18, where 2minutes and 40 seconds into the video he is attacked by an enemy, a Crayzee Dayzee. Overall I count that the runner lost about 12 seconds with this slip up, but even with this error the segment is fantastic.

All the segments, even with the mistake of them being uploaded in the wrong order, I would say that this run should be a great new member of the Speed Demos Archive family. The time could be beaten, as the runner said in his comments.

I apologise if I have missed anything as this is my first verification of a speed run, and I thank you for allowing me to help SDA become even better. I hope I can become more involved with the site, and the verification process in particular. Smiley

I asked him about the video and audio and this is what he said.

Quote:
I am so sorry, while writing it out they completely slipped my mind.

The video and sound are both ok, the video wasnt the highest quality but after compression for FTP sharing im sure neither could be very high quality anyway. There was nothing wrong with either.

Quote:
The run is pretty much flawless. I see very minor mistakes, only costing fractions of seconds. The runner does not die, does not cheat, and does the run very quickly and precisely. Accepted.

Quote:
Mike,

Sorry.  Reali life got in the way of the verification here.  Long run and a wife who keeps me busy screwed things up.

Anyway, I did watch the whole run.  Everything seems consistent segment to segment (I had something I want to check since I forgot to take notes in the opening couple of segments, but assume for now it's good unless I send you a note saying otherwise).  Quality of play was fine; I noted a couple of small things, but nothing that would make up for more than a couple of minutes.

The run has a faster time than the old run due to the Peril strategy, which works surprisingly well.  Things are well planned, and overall the run's solid.  Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run is faster than the current run despite playing at a slower speed.
Thread title:  
Finally, a proper run for this game. The original was extremely sub-optimal.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Looking forward to this.

Just one thing - I don't think the PAL version is necessarily slower than the NTSC version (this came out midway into the sixth generation and all GC games have 60hz as far as I know). If this run is slower, presumably that means it was played in 50hz mode. Which means the PAL version could be run at the same speed as the NTSC version on 60hz if that's correct. So it wouldn't be a specifically "PAL version" run unless there's some other difference between the PAL and NTSC versions.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
This will be the third occasion since March where a PAL speedrun replaces an NTSC one. I can't wait.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
But is it? As far as I know, the 60hz mode on this game runs at exactly the same speed as the NTSC version; only 50hz doesn't. So it's entirely possible for someone to run the PAL version at the same speed as the NTSC version. Could someone verify that?
The runner says in his comments he could only record at 50hz.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Ah, that explains it. So, what, is this still being labelled a PAL run or a 50hz run?
I labeled it as PAL, which was pretty lazy. I guess I could tell Enhasa to put a note up on the game page about 50hz though.
ow
I searched the site for this run, I had no clue there was a PAL version in progress. I can't find the thread, what's the official time on the new run?

Also I watched Nates (I believe) lvl 4 Pit of 100 Trials run, pretty awesome.
The time is 7:07 (using the in-game timer at the end). Also, Radix did the Pit of Trials run.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
I made a note on the upcoming page.

Right now we just say European version for things like this, but does that even make any sense? I guess Australians are Europeans if we take a look at Sonic 3. If we look at Metal Slug X, the Pinpoint runner might as well be from the US. Saying PAL isn't right either, because there is PAL-50 and PAL-60. And even PAL-60 is really ~59.94. I was going to say we should just list some stuff as "50 Hz" but some games are artificially sped up to match 60 Hz. Should we just note that a run is "slower due to regional game differences"? Wording doesn't need to be exact, but something like that.

Should we care that PAL runners playing a speed-adjusted 50 Hz game are at a slight disadvantage precision-wise? I'd say no on this one, it's a very rare case and will only grow rarer as time goes on.
Enhasa: I said something about the name "European version" and how it's a misnomer (Grenola even talked about it a bit in the S3&K news post) when Radix was still active, but all I remember was some grumbling about "All of the other runs say 'European version' so just use that."

I think for 32-bit consoles and older, we should still leave european/pal/50hz a separate category, because it's not really fair to expect everyone to buy American/Japanese consoles. However, in the case of anything newer, I agree there's not much point in having a separate category.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Uh, of course 50 Hz is a separate category. I'm talking about old 50 Hz games where the devs intentionally sped up the game to match 60 Hz speeds. (If you were to play this game at 60 Hz, it would run too fast.) Thus there is no speed difference between NTSC and PAL, just a precision difference.

Also I could give a rat's ass about terminology, I only care about meaning, the problem with stuff like European is it's flat-out misleading. I don't think this is a topic anyone disagrees on. Everyone would go for a change if everything already needs to be redone.
Oh, you were only talking about PAL games that play at the same speed, then yeah I agree with you.