--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
pyromaniac: 2008-07-29 09:19:00 pm
hey hey hey!!
hey, i want to be a speed runner, and i wanted to start out with something a little complex.  so i chose this

do you guys hav any glitches or item tricks i could use? that would be pretty helpful!
Thread title:  
Good luck.  I recommend http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/n64/papermario/ and my Attack/Stat guide at http://www.gamefaqs.com for most of your game-related information.

My definition of 100% (be sure to check with Radix first!) is:
- Get to Level 27
- Get all 80 badges
- Get all 16 super blocks
- beat the Master, Buzzar, and Kent C. Koopa

Don't:
- do the three radio contests
- collect the strange note from the Shy Guys to Russ T.
- get all tattles
- get all 50 recipes
- fight Anti Guy or Anti Squad (unless it's faster than skipping)
- use the playroom (but you may want to for coins)

Some things:

* COINS *

You will need over 2300 coins to get all the badges (most of that is for Rowf's badge shop and Rip Cheato).

- Whacka Bumps (there are 8) sell for 64 coins each at the Mushroom Grocery.
- Jammin' Jellies and Ultra Shrooms sell for 50 coins each, but Jelly Supers and Maple Ultras sell for 100 coins each (and you will collect many Super Shrooms/Maple Syrups along the way).
- You can earn over 900 coins in the Silver Card game.  But, that's more TAS territory....
- Be sure to steal some coins from Kent C. Koopa.
- Refund badge earns 75% of the normal selling price of an item, so if you're using some good stuff, equip this.
- Pay-Off badge earns you 1 coins for each 2 HP damage done to Mario.  This bonus is added before Money Money doubling (a good thing!).  And the Anti Guy in Shy Guy's Toybox gives coins from this, too!
- If you're deperate, buy Volt Shrooms, cook them up, and sell them for a 5-coin profit each.

* Koopa Koot *

For all 80 badges, you need all the star pieces.

- Although you can skip a favour, you will still ultimately have to do them all to get all 15 star pieces.
- You can get the Red Jar from Dry Dry Outpost the first time you go there (even before "buying" Moustafa info).
- Try to plan for the favours that require normal items.

* Chuck Quizmo *

One of the biggest bottlenecks of the run.

- If you're having trouble getting him to appear, I like to warp to Goomba Villiage and constantly run back and forth between the villiage and the place where Goombaria found Mario.  Eventually, you'll catch a glimpse of Chuck, as going to the other area counts as leaving and re-entering the villiage, and he only appears in that one spot.

* Levelling up *

- Right after getting Lakilester, start levelling with Amazee Dayzee's.  Be sure to make this a separate segment so that viewers can easily skip it (I feel sorry for the verifier).  Don't go all the way to level 27; calculate how many star points the remaining mandatory bosses give, and stop once they give enough to max you out.
hey hey hey!!
r you sure i have to get to max to get 100%?  that increases my time amazingly!
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2006-09-13 01:49:15 am
welcome to the machine
What else would 100% be?

Max level, all badges, all star pieces, all optional bosses would be my definition (for this site, at least.  my personal one would be everything, period).
Edit history:
pyromaniac: 2006-09-13 02:22:56 am
hey hey hey!!
hes talking about maxing my level up

EDIT:  o, thats gonna take a while =P
This run will be huge. I'm guessing 10 hours  Tongue
My personnal 100% definition is all badges, (meaning all star pieces in the same time), and beat all bosses. Level maxing is quite... useless. As far as I know, I'll take an example: Chrono Trigger. Marsh didn't leveled up to level 99 for the 100% run, right (well I hope, I haven't watched the run) but I'm pretty sure, because it takes way too much time. So why would in Paper Mario for a 100% run maxing the level would be necessary?
fuck you i wont do what you tell me
Quote:
This run will be huge. I'm guessing 10 hours  Tongue

meh, a Tales of Symphonia run is in the works (if not done already).
Edit history:
pyromaniac: 2006-09-13 12:17:32 pm
hey hey hey!!
i found out a way to beat koopa bros. really fast.  im starting out by figuring out boss strategies b4 anything else (since i have to get all the badges anyway, it won't be too challenging)  =/

and floogal, thanks for the website, i like how it shows you pictures instead of saying it. =D
100% runs=great to watch
Unless max leveling allowed for some incredible damage causing setup or you gained some kinda of reward for it in the form of a rare item or power etc that would otherwise not be doable...I agree that max lvling would be perhaps a bit excessive.  I'd say all badges, star pieces, and all bosses destroyed that could be destroyed...imagine all the mischief they could cause after ya defeat Bowser whilst ya max and relax with the Princess!
The max Level is 30, not 27.
hey hey hey!!
do you guys no a way to talk to radix so i can no the 100% requirements

i tried aim, but hes not talking
Quote:
The max Level is 30, not 27.

What are you talking about? We are talking about Paper Mario, not Super Mario RPG.
Edit history:
Chunky: 2006-09-15 01:16:49 am
Are you sure? Doesn't it still give you like 1 star point per enemy even at 27?

And no, dammit, not TTYD.
Edit history:
pyromaniac: 2006-09-16 03:30:36 am
hey hey hey!!
ive got the first and second segment planned out. and floogal, you have to beat the anti-guy (not anti-squad) because he guards a badge.
hey hey hey!!
for the prologue and first chapter, ive got 52 minutes, so it's pretty good for a first try.  but i need a lot of improvement
The new kid
You can skip that anti-guy by giving him a lemon candy, I believe
Edit history:
pyromaniac: 2006-09-17 11:11:38 pm
hey hey hey!!
thanks! =D  do you just buy lemon candy from the store?  by the way, wats a donkey diddler?
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2006-09-18 03:32:56 am
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Good luck on this run. It should be quite an undertaking.

Quote:
Are you sure? Doesn't it still give you like 1 star point per enemy even at 27?

And no, dammit, not TTYD.

I believe that the strategy is to save as many bosses and mini-bosses as possible until you are level 27, since regular enemies will give you zero at that point, then use those bosses and mini-bosses to level up. I haven't played this game in an eternity, though, so don't quote me on that.

Quote:
by the way, wats a donkey diddler?

Someone who diddles donkeys. Tongue
hey hey hey!!
would the dojo count as mini-bosses?
OK, lets clear up the levelling issue:

If none of the enemies give you any star points, then you get nothing for that battle (besides coins/items).  (I personally like this better than TTYD's at-least-one-star-point rule.)

Mario's maximum level is 27 (50 HP, 50 FP, 30 BP).  Once he reaches that, nothing (not even bosses) give any more star points, even though Amazee Dayzees and Dry Bones still can't be avoided with the First/Spin/Bump Attack badges.

To get a Lemon Candy to avoid Anti Guy, you need to cook a Cake Mix and a Lemon.

The lemon is a minor detour -- grab it by the Dry Dry Desert Super Block.  You'll need to also grab a lime anyways for a future Koopa Koot favour.

The cake mix is a bit more of a detour, as you then need two trips to the Shy Guy playground (one for Rowf's calculator & cake mix for Koopa Koot's Kooky Cookie, and second time for the lemon candy cake mix).

I think it would actually be faster to fight Anti Guy.  Here's my strategy, assuming you start at full health, and your max HP is 10:

1) skip turn + Shell Shot (6)
- hope Anti Guy tackles, block it to be left at 1 HP.
2) Mega-Rush Power Bounce (20 = 6+5+4+3+2) + Shell Shot (6)
- hope Anti Guy misses with Close Call
3) Mega-Rush jump (12) + Shell Shot (6)

Obviously, this would have to be done at the start of a segment, due to the luck involved.  Also keep in mind the extra star points you would be earning (plus 4 coins if you have the Pay-Off badge equipped).
hey hey hey!!
i dont think i have to get max leveling guys, because there is no reward in getting it.
hey hey hey!!
i was thinking about picking up this run again.  the real challenging part is gonna be having enough coins.. but i might give it a shot
Edit history:
pyromaniac: 2008-07-29 09:39:21 pm
hey hey hey!!
i need the true definition of 100% before i start planning.

i was thinking all star pieces, max level, all side bosses, all badges.  anything else?
Next run officially planned. Currently practicing.
This should be very interesting. I havn't ever played Paper Mario, so I don't have any strategies.