Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

SS any% run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Well, Here are my comments.

Video Quality: Looks great! However, its very blurry when it's in fullscreen.
Audio Quality: Its a bit loud, but turning down the volume should fix this problem.

I have not spotted any sort of cheating or sudden cuts. So this is a clean run given that its SS.

And now for some World comments (Im considering each set of 3 levels & 1 boss to be a world to make life easier):

World 1: Looked flawless. The Blinky fight looked like an intense battle. Good job disposing of that frog.
World 2: Amazing shortcuts here. It kinda feels like Namco just padded the level design around the camera now though. >_>
World 3: Theres one slight mistake in Ice River Run that almost costed dearly. But it seems like a close call given that you made it through. Avalanche Alley was a much better change of pace with the boosters in the second half of the stage. Although one booster seemed to have been stubborn and didnt give you a big boost. Blade Mountain was also ridiculously fast. It looked like it was as good as it can be for a console speed run. The Pinky fight was nothing special though.
World 4: Nothing really to say except that he does amazing dashes across the pits & bodies of lava in these levels. Volcanic Panic is definitely the best level of this set of levels with its shortcuts exploited. The Clyde battle was also pretty good and the shortcut in Magma Opus was executed very well. I couldnt believe that anybody could do such a hard shortcut in a run, let alone an SS run. Amazing stuff.
World 5: And now for the slow monotonous water levels....that seem to move at breakneck speeds! Yellow Pac Marine was also a treat to watch (I hear what youre doing thar at the beggining!) Nice score for that level too :).
World 6: You were pretty close to missing the ledge at the beggining of Night Crawling! Its a good thing you made it though. The skips in Ghost Bayou were pretty funny to watch (how could you navigate through that level?! Its like pitch black.)
Spooky Battle: Ah. Using death to your advantage I see. Clever.

The only mistakes I saw was the mistake in World 3 & 1 death that I saw in Night Crawling. The death is obviously a lot more trivial, but given the length of the game, its understandable and could easily slide.

I have a feeling you know what my verdict will be, but I played this game a lot a while back. And its very great to finally see a speed run of it with all these amazing tricks. As suck, I say Accept. Congratulations C13!

Quote:
Video Quality: Like said before, a bit blurry in full screen, but fine in a smaller window.
Audio Quality: Loud, but again, easily remedied.
Level by Level Analysis:
World 1
Pac-Village:  Fast.
The Bear Basics: Faster.  Both of these are from what I see errorless.
Canyon Chaos: The jump over the monkey with the Galaxian’s pit grabs the edge at the end, but I don’t know if it’s possible to miss the edge.  Other than that hiccup, pretty perfect.
Pac-Dot Pond:  The jumps between platforms over the pond were excellent, no noticeable errors again.
Blinky’s Frog: Nice fight, it doesn’t even look like you bounce on the wood tongue.  World 1 was great

World 2:
B-Doing Woods: Could’ve hit the net on the long bounce down, maybe saving a second or so.  Beautiful skip with the Rev Roll on the crate.
Treewood Forest: Unneeded jump before the first Rev Roll ramp. Don’t you love the camera angles here?
Butane Pain:  This level definitely a pain in my butane. 2 beautiful skips here, and more great camera angles.
Inky’s Saw: Goes down without a fight.

World 3:
Ice River Run:  Loses 3-5 seconds on a rock after missing a jump, and looks pretty ugly. Also grabs a rock and hits the yeti at the end.  Some nifty ghost dodging with the power pellet though.
Avalanche Alley:  A beautiful recovery from a shaky Ice River Run.  Other than some boosting troubles near the end and some more beautiful camera work,  this was an excellent level.
Blade Mountain:  There’s really no way to speed this up that I know of (but a whole lot of ways to slow it down).  This was executed very well.
The boss was excellent with some nice multihits.

World 4:
Into The Volcano: Great execution, just one ledge grab.
Volcanic Panic:  My favorite level in the game and one of the best in this run.  Some great metal ball manipulation and rev-rolls on walls. Nice finesse on the end jumps.
Magma Opus:  Beautiful butt-bounce jump at the start and skip of that long slide.
Clyde’s Machine went well.

World 5:  This world is so annoying, but probably feels worse to speedrun. The first 2 levels were great and Yellow Submarine can’t be sped up.  By far the longest world.  Mega whale also goes down just fine.

World 6:
Haunted Boardwalk:  Hard level, and unlike the last skating level, can be sped up by good jumps.  The platforming was great here and despite one hit, was well done.
Night Crawling:  That death cost about 15-17 seconds by my timing, but with the incredibly annoying bats and fire-throwing ghosts it isn’t surprising.  Still very fast despite the death, and the next world makes up for it.
Ghost Bayou:  This is probably the second longest level in the game after Yellow Submarine.  That is, it was until this series of jumping over a barrier and rev-rolls on pillars was discovered.  This trick was performed nearly flawlessly and clearly shows the amount of practice put into it.  This is the second highlight of the run after Volcanic Panic in my mind.
Spooky:  Nice death abuse to save 10-15 seconds (I think).  The fight goes well.
Although there are 2 mistakes which cause about 20-25 seconds combined, the run is very well polished for a single segment and is a definite accept for me.

Quote:
Today, on the Wild Adventures of Speed Runners, a bunch of speed run video watchers are going to watch a video of Sonic Adventure 2.  However, we've secretly switched the video with Pacman World 2.  Let's see if they notice.

*video turns on in Studio 7*

Brent: Hey Josh!  Ready to watch this awesome Sonic Adventure 2 video we're told to verify?
Josh: Sure Brent.  I've got a big bag of chips, a giant 2 liter bottle of Mt. Dew, and I'm ready to party!

*As the video starts playing, a confused look appears on both Brent and Josh's faces.*

Josh: What the hell is this shit?  Is the video color inverted or something?  This is a yellow ball rolling around, not blue!
Brent: Yeah, what the hell is up, SDA!

[Studio Crowd Laugh Track]

*Josh walks up to the TV and starts smacking the side of the TV*

Brent: Josh!  That isn't gonna fix anything!
Josh: Dammit Brent!  Something is totally wrong with the video!
Brent: Have you tried wiggling the cables?
Josh: [In Sarcastic Voice] Have you tried wiggling the cables? [/End Sarcastic Voice] Geezus!  I'm not an idiot.  What's next?  Change the BATTERIES?

Brent: Well, I guess we'll just have to sit down and watch this as is.  Maybe something cool will happen.
Josh: Or maybe we'll get sick from the color inversion.
Brent: Or maybe I'll just kick your ass.

*Josh looks at the crowd*

Josh: Seriously?  That wasn't funny.
Brent: Hey Josh.  Cool down.  This does look pretty cool.  I mean, these ghosts and all.

*Josh turns back towards Brent*

Josh: Ghosts?  In a Sonic game?  This isn't Sonic & Knuckles after all!
Brent: Want to watch?
Josh: Fine.

*Brent and Josh sit and eat chips and drink pop for the entiretly of the run*

Brent: That was pretty cool.
Josh: Eh, deaths are for pansies.
Brent: Oh come on.  To be able to speed up the final boss fight like that?  NICE.
Josh: And what's up with the Beatles references?
Brent: Cool reference; boring level.
Josh: Agreed.
Brent: Final thoughts?
Josh: Overall, a pretty cheap Sonic Adventure 2 knockoff.  Bad references, inverted colors, and cheap death abuse.
Brent: You're just jealous you can't speed run games yourself.
Josh: All you can do is put lyrics to video game music.
Brent: You're just jealous.
Josh: Whatever Brent.  Whatever.
Brent: So how are we gonna call this?
Josh: Confirmed for Acceptance?
Brent: I'm fine with that.

*Small metal plate with ACCEPTED is tossed onto the ground*

*Announcer steps onto the stage in front of Brent and Josh*

Announcer: Congrats Josh and Brent!  You've survived this video of Pacman World 2!

Josh: Wait, what?
Brent: Quit screwing with us!

Announcer: On our next show, we trick people to watch a video of a rich duck in space with no air helmet and an expensive cane!

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a tight run.

Congratulations to Tommy 'C13' Guller!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
C13: 2011-08-09 04:51:45 pm
Ready? Set...
Oh yeaaah. Many thanks, verifiers! Smiley I agree that Ice River Run and Night Crawling needed more work. Oh, that goes for the audio too.

Quote:
Canyon Chaos: The jump over the monkey with the Galaxian’s pit grabs the edge at the end, but I don’t know if it’s possible to miss the edge.

It's actually possible to miss the edge. I just didn't have any luck rev rolling at a decent angle.
A Pacman World speedrun finally?!
Dreams do come true!