List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Easy mode segmented any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
The controls and character animations in this game are rather stiff so seeing the runner make the character's actions look smooth is worthy of praise in its own right.
the charge up for the super attack makes you immune to damage, and thats always nice and quite handy for any game's speed run really.

most of the missions I really saw no issue with.  I was able to replicate the boss strategies the runner used.  there was some real luck to all of them.
Mission 6's boss I feel could have been a few seconds shorter with a better position but it's still good.

Overall, this is an impressive run and i feel it's up to SDA standard.

Quote:
Found the time to watch this today. The run overall was very good. The runner mentions that jumping is a huge timesaver, and I noticed a few places he walked where he may have been able to fit in a jump or two. However, I'm not sure how much time can be saved this way throughout the run. The super attack with invincible frames is absolutely broken, and the runner makes good use of this fact. I don't see this being improved easily, and based on gameplay alone its definitely an Accept from me.

However I did notice a small issue with the video. On most if not all segments, there is a couple white pixels in the black space on the lower right side of the screen that flicker, it looks like the tip of a mouse pointer that wasn't entirely off screen. Not a major issue, but I thought I would mention it.

Quote:
Part of me reckons this could've been a single segment due to how short the game is. However, there is some key luck manipulation so it's not heresy that this is segmented. I can sum this run up for you. He completes the game. He jumps through the same room multiple times, he sometimes kills things in the rooms. The bosses die quickly.  The only way to make this game fun is to spend as little time playing it as possible. This sorta achieves that.

Mission 1
This is the route for Mission 1. Can't really go wrong here.

Mission 2
Minor Menu mistake but meh. In the big room he runs to get closer to the enemies here when he could be jumping instead. You don't really have to move closer but I understand why he opted to (waivering shots). The bosses in this game suck.

Mission 3
He does the level. The multiple level section is more difficult to get through that it looks. This game's platforming is atrocious. The bosses in this game suck.

Mission 4
The game starts to show it's diversity. Look, now we're outside in the dusty part. Again. Gets caught on the big thing which wastes a little time. I think jumping even though the roof is there is faster.

Mission 6
He says it himself, could be better placed for that boss.

Mission 7
Goddamnit look at the long room. It's got a shop in it and 3 capsules for energy/health. Why is it so damn big?

Mission 8
If you're a fan of jumping, this level is your friend. What's that a huge open space to jump through, then a tiny room then some throwaway empty rooms? Cool. Who is bad enough to need that health/energy before the boss. Come on. Screw it, the rest of the comments will be hating on this game. The runner does fine.

Mission 9
I don't get why these first rooms exist. What's the point? More diversity here. Welcome to the slightly purple rooms. Also, how does she open those huge doors. Waaaait, didn't we just do this room? Why do I want to do an empty version of this room? I don't know if adding the energy drives was the developers way of speeding the whole thing up. There's a reason few games have a special move that one shots everything and makes you invincible. HEY LOOK IT'S THE SAME BOSS AGAIN. I SURE LOVE REPEATED CONTENT. But wait, what's this? I have to go back through these rooms again? Oh you spoil me. I feel countdown segments like this one are in-jokes the developers put in for speed-runners. Who would need 5 minutes to do this? (NOTE ABOUT THE ACTUAL RUN - The last room is pretty ugly but those small robots are very annoying. This level could've used a few more attempts)

Mission 10.
The penultimate mission ladies and gentlemen. I don't understand why the runner only uses a drive on one of the bots in the first kill everything room. He opts to shoot one and drive the other when energy isn't an issue, why not drive both? The lasers in this game seem to be designed to be completely perfect for her jump. There's also another long empty room before the same boss from earlier. Which gets one hit again.

Mission 11
These two turret rooms aren't any more dangerous on the hardest setting. They never hit you. Also, same room twice in a row. Good. I think driving the second thing would be worthwhile seeing as energy wasn't an issue. Not sure why he did the drive in the next room when I could only see one weak robots but I'll assume he knows what he's doing. Final boss is this guy again. Which is a lot like the other one but without the rails. Watch her fingers during this dance thing. When she's crawling the the floor. They look totally weird. HAHAHAHA SIX PEOPLE WORKED ON ROOM DESIGN. Jennifer Hale (who voiced Vanessa) is also Female Shepard. Fun fact for you there.

Here's the thing, the runner plays the game like you should when you speed run it. I feel there are mistakes and his decisions aren't always consistant but it doesn't really seem like it matters all that much. I feel that maybe mission 9 could have been redone to make that last room a bit nicer but it's not a necessity. He has chosen optimal drives for the points he needs them and there are no mistakes that kill the run, just some minor things (like not jumping all the time). This run should finally silence anyone who thought that there needed to be a PN03 run on this website, not because it's perfect, but because this is about as fun as the game can be to watch.

Accept - There are few minor mistakes that honestly aren't worth spending any amount of time beating.

Quote:
P.N. 03 Comments

First, I want to say that overall the runner did a great jump, I mean job, and most of my comments will be about very small things. Second, I didn't find any problem with the audio or video and the in game timer works fine.

Mission 1- The begining of the jumping game. All good except I wonder if in room 5 a second Swan might have been faster than just shooting.

Mission 2- The jump at the end of room 3 hits a low awning and costs him a little time. The roll into jump in room 6 is pretty nice considering how little the game allows for variation. Ez boss.

Mission 3- The side step in room 9 seemed unnecessary to me. Also, why in the world did you need to run from Sonnenblume when harrier just destroys everything? I guess it's because you didn't have it in the first mission.

Mission 4- He gets a little caught on the first big walker guy but thats because their collision hit-box or whatever is way bigger than it seems. If you look at the next time he jumps by one Vanessa looks to be in the clear but then still gets pushed a little.

Mission 5- Found a nice spot for the boss room. Also, maybe getting the energy upgrade for another harrier shot at the end of room 8 would be faster.

Mission 6- In room 8, why do you move to the left? I didn't notice any shots going to hit you.

Mission 7- Since there isn't much too say about this level I guess I'll talk about how you're suppose to play this game, which involves hours of doing trial missions to get extra points. And if you thought the level recycling in the main game was bad then just you wait.

Mission 8- You can skip this mission. No idea why it's in the game.

Mission 9- Runner says it all. Better placement on the tracks and better enemy AI in the second to last room.

Mission 10- I agree with Flicky, using more thunder bird sounds like a good idea to me in room 5. And if it isn't then the one time it's used on a single enemy was a waste. Otherwise solid mission, joke boss.

Mission 11- Probably a second harrier in room 6 would have been better. Why the harrier on only one guy in room 8?

Overall a good run of a game whose best quality is its music.

Decision- Accept. Only a few small errors and honestly probably the best route this game has.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a well planned run with few mistakes

Congratulations to Dylan McMahon!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Phazonelite7: 2011-07-13 12:48:44 pm
Phazonelite7: 2011-07-13 12:37:38 pm
I was the runner.

Quote:
most of the missions I really saw no issue with.  I was able to replicate the boss strategies the runner used.  there was some real luck to all of them. Mission 6's boss I feel could have been a few seconds shorter with a better position but it's still good.

Yeah I really don't recall why I decided to do that. You can even see that I try to fix that when I fight Orchidee II in Mission 9. Definitely something I'll completely fix in a future run.

Quote:
Found the time to watch this today. The run overall was very good. The runner mentions that jumping is a huge timesaver, and I noticed a few places he walked where he may have been able to fit in a jump or two. However, I'm not sure how much time can be saved this way throughout the run. The super attack with invincible frames is absolutely broken, and the runner makes good use of this fact. I don't see this being improved easily, and based on gameplay alone its definitely an Accept from me.

However I did notice a small issue with the video. On most if not all segments, there is a couple white pixels in the black space on the lower right side of the screen that flicker, it looks like the tip of a mouse pointer that wasn't entirely off screen. Not a major issue, but I thought I would mention it.

I could have jumped a little bit more. If I'm running it's generally because I needed to turn Vanessa, because you can't turn her in her jumps. In terms of how much time jumping can save, a rough estimate is that 10 seconds of jumping is the equivalent of 11 seconds of running distance wise. The invincibility frames from the energy drives aren't broken, because the developers intended that to be a key feature of them. Not to mention that you're a sitting duck for a few seconds while performing them, so if you were able to get hit at that point then that would be extremely lame.

It's not a mouse pointer. This was recorded at a friend's house, and he has some pretty ghetto capture equipment. It's in all of the videos. It's a flashing white pixel that was added by the capture setup for whatever reason. Also, the emulator version of this game can't even be completed because the model for the mission 8 boss, Lowenzahn, is completely missing so the game crashes upon reaching that room.

Quote:
Part of me reckons this could've been a single segment due to how short the game is. However, there is some key luck manipulation so it's not heresy that this is segmented.

Even beyond the luck manipulation, I wouldn't consider doing a single segment from just how bad the controls are in this game. It's like trying to fly spaceships on glaciers.

Quote:
Mission 2
Minor Menu mistake but meh. In the big room he runs to get closer to the enemies here when he could be jumping instead. You don't really have to move closer but I understand why he opted to (waivering shots).

The reason why I run closer to the two AAS Pilz enemies on the second "floor" is to spawn the enemies on the floor above that. Otherwise I'd have to wait a second or two after they spawn in order to lock on to them.

Quote:
Mission 3
He does the level. The multiple level section is more difficult to get through that it looks. This game's platforming is atrocious.

That room is absolutely evil. On the small bridge area, that enemy will lay mines in the worst possible positions just as you're trying to jump up there. On a side note, going into the red orb shops doesn't count towards your timer.

Quote:
Mission 4
The game starts to show it's diversity. Look, now we're outside in the dusty part. Again. Gets caught on the big thing which wastes a little time. I think jumping even though the roof is there is faster.

Getting caught on the gardenie there wasn't a mistake, it's just how you have to get past its ridiculously large invisible wall. And I've always thought jumping and hitting roofs slowed you down, I'll have to test it out here for future runs.

Also did this verifier forget his comments about mission 5? :X

Quote:
Mission 7
Goddamnit look at the long room. It's got a shop in it and 3 capsules for energy/health. Why is it so damn big?

Capcom was just messing with us at this point. They didn't actually think anyone would get this far in their game.

Quote:
Mission 8
If you're a fan of jumping, this level is your friend. What's that a huge open space to jump through, then a tiny room then some throwaway empty rooms? Cool. Who is bad enough to need that health/energy before the boss. Come on. Screw it, the rest of the comments will be hating on this game. The runner does fine.

What I want to know is how this outside room, the same one from mission 1, leads to a completely separate building from mission 1 despite being the same room.

Quote:
Mission 9
I don't get why these first rooms exist. What's the point? More diversity here. Welcome to the slightly purple rooms. Also, how does she open those huge doors. Waaaait, didn't we just do this room? Why do I want to do an empty version of this room? I don't know if adding the energy drives was the developers way of speeding the whole thing up. There's a reason few games have a special move that one shots everything and makes you invincible. HEY LOOK IT'S THE SAME BOSS AGAIN. I SURE LOVE REPEATED CONTENT. But wait, what's this? I have to go back through these rooms again? Oh you spoil me. I feel countdown segments like this one are in-jokes the developers put in for speed-runners. Who would need 5 minutes to do this? (NOTE ABOUT THE ACTUAL RUN - The last room is pretty ugly but those small robots are very annoying. This level could've used a few more attempts)

You know what's stupid? When you're warped into that intro room and Vanessa has to do that spin animation, the timer is already ticking. So I'm already at 5 seconds on the clock when I actually gain control of her. That last room is ugly, I was just so nervous at that point and those enemies are so unpredictable. It's not from a lack of effort either, it took over one hundred something tries to get this result. Getting the two ricochet kills in that one room with harrier and killing those two bosses very quickly is just frustratingly difficult.

Quote:
Mission 10.
I don't understand why the runner only uses a drive on one of the bots in the first kill everything room. He opts to shoot one and drive the other when energy isn't an issue, why not drive both? The lasers in this game seem to be designed to be completely perfect for her jump.

I decided to do that because they take roughly the same time to kill with palm shots or an energy drive. I used palm shots on the first because it wasn't moving, and that second enemy has a tendency of running away right when you get there. So I used thunderbird in case it decided to that. I should definitely try killing both of those enemies with a single thunderbird if I do another run.

And I never thought about the lasers like that haha. Kind of like the random convenient morph ball tunnels in Metroid.

Quote:
Mission 11
Not sure why he did the drive in the next room when I could only see one weak robots but I'll assume he knows what he's doing. HAHAHAHA SIX PEOPLE WORKED ON ROOM DESIGN. Jennifer Hale (who voiced Vanessa) is also Female Shepard. Fun fact for you there.

It was because the shield enemy spawns and puts a shield around the AAS Pilz when it gets damaged enough. Unfortunately with current upgrades, I couldn't kill the robot before the shield robot came up. So I would have to take time to switch targets and I would get hit by the Pilz lasers after killing the shield guy. So the harrier there is to mainly avoid getting hit.

Another fun fact, this game was made in six months. Not a big surprise though.

Quote:
The bosses in this game suck.

They sure do.

Quote:
Mission 1- The begining of the jumping game. All good except I wonder if in room 5 a second Swan might have been faster than just shooting.

Because this room is so small, the way Swan fans out would not be effective against those last three enemies. It'd probably hit one and miss the other two. Timewise it'd probably be the same even if it did work out favorably.

Quote:
Mission 3- The side step in room 9 seemed unnecessary to me. Also, why in the world did you need to run from Sonnenblume when harrier just destroys everything? I guess it's because you didn't have it in the first mission.

The dodge to the left there is so that I'm out of the way of the mushroom enemy (I could have written an entire paragraph my comments about how useless this enemy is). It doesn't waste any time because I'm waiting for that top laser to disappear anyway.

Quote:
Mission 5- Found a nice spot for the boss room. Also, maybe getting the energy upgrade for another harrier shot at the end of room 8 would be faster.

I'm not sure if that would save any time. Besides, I need all the points that I can get.

Quote:
Mission 6- In room 8, why do you move to the left? I didn't notice any shots going to hit you.

That's a good point. I should have taken more risks in this room and just ran straight towards the door.

Quote:
Mission 10- I agree with Flicky, using more thunder bird sounds like a good idea to me in room 5. And if it isn't then the one time it's used on a single enemy was a waste. Otherwise solid mission, joke boss.

The joke I like to make about P.N.03, is that the game has to use everything a second time. If there's a boss, you have to fight it a second time. If there's a room, you have go through it at least one other time later on.

Thanks a lot verifiers! Verifier three wins the award for making me laugh the most. Also no one mentioned that I had to mash the A button for every single laser that I wanted to fire because I didn't have any automatic upgrades. Sad I plan on improving this run some time in the future, but nevertheless this is a solid run of the game.