List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

David 'atomicJo' Joassard's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I’d like to start off by saying “good job.” It was a solid run overall, and the choice of game was great; I never thought I’d see an Outcast speedrun – ever.

Video: great quality. A few slowdowns and graphical hiccups where parts of the desktop were visible, but for only a very brief time.

Audio: great quality. No desynching or anything of the kind.

Deaths: none.

Segments: 9.

General comments: I have played through this game a few times and must admit that I really had no clue any of the glitches used even existed. It is clear the runner took a great amount of care in carefully planning the route and execution, as illustrated through the run itself and his lengthy comments. The run was very good. He managed to deal with the specific timing of events well throughout the game, which would have been a huge issue. There really isn’t much else I can say to this run; it was quick, no deaths, and the runner clearly knows this game well.

In regards to criticism, I really don’t have much. I might suggest or offer only three small things: battles, jumping, and save points. I apologise for not recording any of my thoughts while watching the run, so I can’t give specific times right now, but I will post a separate message later when I have reviewed the run again. So, battles. I found some of the pitched battles, especially one in Talanzaar, felt that these small shoot-outs took too long. In my opinion, seconds can be shaved from these. I also felt that some of the jumps you made could be improved, as I noticed multiple attempts at the same point. Again, take what you will from this since I don’t yet have specific times.

It was smart to use only a few save points, since it takes such an ungodly amount of time. Having said that, I think we can all agree that cutting out some of the saves, especially the later ones, would improve the time. I understand how lengthy and frustrating a single segment run for a game like this would be to run, but the overall time saved would be significant.

Quote:
Verification for Outcast (PC):

I've watched the medium quality version. (HQ link doesn't seem to work)

Audio and video quality are OK. Music is often messed up, but that's an in-game problem, not due to recording.

There are no deaths in this run.

Savegames seem to match up. It would be insanely painstaking to verify this 100%, but it's clear this runner is picking up too much items rather than too few.

All glitches and shortcuts have been tested by myself and are legit.

Could the route be optimized? Sure. It's a huge non-linear world, and you have portable teleporters. The ideal route is the stuff of nightmares.  Wink

The only major drawback in this run is a failed shortcut at 49:34. About 20 seconds are wasted, but I think that's forgivable in an hour plus run, also considering the lengthy segments due to long in-game saving time.

The part from 1:08:25 to 1:09:34 may seem weird, but there's really nothing else to do here but wait for the last event quest cinematic. (maybe this should be commented in the video)

Overall I think this is a smooth and aesthetically pleasing run, with a time that won't be bested any time soon.

FINAL VERDICT: run accepted.

Quote:
There were no noticeable signs of cheating or any issues with audio, video, or syncing.

The route on this run seems highly optimal. There were several tricks used to save additional times and were used very effectively. There's the usual movement mistakes and such but overall the run seems very streamlined.

Recommendation: Accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: Great planning and execution.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
atomicJo: 2010-08-06 10:29:53 am
Thanks for verifying.

@ the first verifier :
I wonder what failed jumps do you talk about ? Maybe you mean the one where I couldn't get out of water? if so I explained in comments that it didn't  cause any time loss