List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/AbesOddysee.html

Segmented any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Regarding audio/video quality, I noticed that black screens tend to appear with a fairly high frequency. It’s pretty annoying and detracts from the quality of the video. I don’t know if this is an artefact of how he’s edited the videos together.

Now actually on to the verification. Clearly, he's used lostraniero's run as a guide here, but that run was done without the ledge glitch. Hence, he misses many opportunities to use it; he really should have used the 100% TAS more as a reference. There are a number of times when he is in the wrong position to interact with some objects. For example, he occasionally jumps too early and misses ledges/meat sacks, or walks further than necessary to meet a ledge and has to backtrack.

A being a bit of a hard-ass here and picking up on most mistakes, excluding minor movement mistakes (which shouldn’t necessarily be ignored, because they do add up to a fair bit of time). It’s unfortunate that the Abe’s Exoddus run is of such high quality, and I’ll be effectively judging the play quality in this run against that one.

Notable mistakes:

0:54 - jumped too early and had to hoist up the ledge.
1:45 - didn't do the ledge glitch. Would've saved a fair bit of time, as he wouldn't have had to get the grenade either.
3:40 - misses another big ledge glitch opportunity.
6:10 - some overlap of segments. Might wanna edit that...?
6:21 - should've done infinite pick up glitch.
8:00 - why aren't you repeatedly jumping whilst on Elum? I'm confident it's quicker.
8:14 - random crouch
8:52 - still not jumping...
9:11 - ... but then he starts jumping
10:13 - why stop before jumping through the portal?
10:50 - overlap of segments again
11:44 - jumps too early
12:00 - jumps too early, again
13:17 - this could've been done quicker via ledge glitch. The 100% TAS is a good reference.
13:27 - stopped correctly, then messes up
13:54 - random jump into wall
14:21 - paramite can be killed the screen before.
14:50 - 15:15 - he loses so much time here...
15:45 - segment overlap
16:36 - this bit can be done quicker in a different way
16:48 - it bothers me that it looks like he is going through the boulders. They're normally quite harsh when it comes to knocking you down.
16:55 - again, this can be done quicker
18:15 - crouch to eliminate explosion recoil please
18:40 - misses another ledge glitch
19:03 - huge miss when going through the door. Seriously, he was two steps away still.
19:13 - should've done a running turn and jumped up to the right hand ledge.
20:34 - misses well
21:00 - needs more jumping, which is true for most of Scrabania.
27:45 - runs into a wall.
28:00 - unnecessary well jump.
28:53 - should've gone up right hand side and hoisted himself up invisible ledge.
29:48 - if he'd held right whilst shooting, he would've moved closer to the ledge, saving time.
30:06 - misses stone.
32:01 - jumps too early, and so has to hoist up ledge.
32:38 - chants too soon.
33:06 - overshoots considerably.
35:36 - really minor, but he should've just pulled the lever twice to start with. No need for the pause.
35:44 - stone miss again.
36:24 - misses the door by two steps. Ironically, this mirrors the mistake at 19:03.
37:19 - misses door. Jump costs time.
37:29 - see above.
38:45 - eugh, why the pause?
40:20 - screen clearly shows 0 casualties, so clearly he's used the level skip cheat at some point Wink [is this grounds for rejection as this is technically an inconsistency? Seems too minor]
41:30 - another case of missing the object and jumping.
43:43 - ... was in the right position, then messes up.
45:45 - door, miss, jump.
46:53 - yeah, the segment appending needs tidying up there.
48:55 - random pause.
49:55 - should've ledge glitched.

So, I’m gonna have to reject this run. There are quite a lot of mistakes and somewhat sloppy play, considering it should be pretty easy to abuse segmentation in this game. The fact that it’s faster than the current run on the site might be grounds for acceptance, but that was done prior to a number of glitches being discovered.

Quote:
There are a LOT of errors in this considering how easy it is to abuse segmenting.  As the previous verifier noted there are a few segment overlaps, the infinite pick up glitch is not used, there are a number of annoying black screens, and there is no reason that 0 casualties should be displayed on the RuptureFarms board.  The runner runs into walls, hesitates and misses a lot of useful opportunites to abuse the ledge glitch. For some reason it looks like he is going through the boulders at 16:49 and they are VERY harsh about deciding whether it killed you or not.  It also looks like elum ran through the mine at 23:45. Can someone clarify whether that's possible as I always thought you couldn't make that jump!

The verifier above posted most of the errors I noticed apart from one or two REALLY picky things I had seen where he paused unnessarily

A lot of these things (obviously not the segment overlapping or the 0 casualties thing) would be excusable in an SS, and while the run is undeniably fast and it is an improvement over the old run, there is so much more that can be got out of this game with glitch abuse and there are simply too many small errors in this run. In addition, the segments are not put together well in many cases with several black screens and segment overlaps.

Reject

Quote:
The previous verifiers pretty much summed up all my issues with this run. I don't like rejecting a run that is faster than what we have, but I have no choice in this case. I hope the runner doesn't get discouraged by this and improves his run in the future.

Decision: Reject

Reason: Despite being faster than the incumbent run, this run is too sloppy and doesn't use available tricks.

This run will be available for a month. PM me for a link.
Thread title: