List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/AbesExoddus.html

Poesta's bad ending run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video quality: Seemed fine on youtube, so it would undoubtedly be better in the real thing.
Audio: Seems slightly off in some places, most notably when the secret area chime sounds. I don’t know if this is due to it not being the PSX version, which I’m used to.
Cheating: Severe cheating. It’s OK though as it’s just severely abusing in-game glitches.

General comments: Frankly, this run is awesome. It’s highly optimised (so much so that it looks TAS-like at times) and completely abuses the ledge trick. I was wondering how the game was segmented, considering how optimised it is at times (multiple segments compiled into one segment for each area?) If it was one segment for each area, then it’s even more incredible. Considering how recently the ledge trick was found, it’s impressive how much it’s abused. I don’t know how independently the runner was working, considering there hasn’t been any forum discussion, and I haven’t seen any similar exoddus speedruns. I had been playing through the game myself looking for timesavers using it, but this run was actually completed before I finished my playthrough =P

Necrum mines: Awesome. Of note:
1:17: Mudokon shields. Nice.
1:27: First ledge trick usage. Nothing particularly special, but quicker.
1:56: Sets up ledge trick. Saves a fair bit of time.
3:48: Pauses to manipulate the slogs so that they’re too late to attack you at 3:54. Didn’t know that was possible.
5:04: Best ledge trick use so far. I hadn’t thought of doing this.
5:45: How this glitch wasn’t found by the developers is beyond me.
6:53: Ledge trick. I’d found this too.
7:12: I think the ledge trick can be done quicker here by dropping into the wall, then jumping to the mine car. Only slightly quicker.
8:18: Surely it would’ve been quicker to slide of the ledge and land closer to the next screen?
9:24: Nice screen change abuse.

Necrum: Disgusting. Of note:
2:18: Ledge trick.
3:22: Ledge trick, saves quite a lot of time.

Mudanchee vaults: Abe is scared of nothing. Generally awesome, but two mistakes look out of place compared with the rest of the run so far =P (If anything, that shows how good the rest of the run is.) Of note.
0:05: Should have set up ledge glitch...
0:10: ... and used it here. Lost about 15 seconds =(
1:55: Abuses scrab AI to do this screen quickly.
2:18: Could’ve avoided hitting wall by slowing down quicker after jump.
2:52: Really nice use of ledge glitch. Hadn’t thought of this.
3:52: Ledge glitch, slightly quicker.
4:25: Ledge glitch saves lives, people.

Mudomo vaults: The trials were disgustingly quick. Even more reason for me to prefer this over Mudanchee. Of note:
2:13: I was worried he would miss this ledge trick. Saves quite a lot of time.
2:54: Another huge time-saving ledge glitch.
8:18: This area was done really quickly. Fleeches are stupid.

Feeco depot: Generally little to note. Still very quick. Some nicely times jumps over explosions. Of note:
1:47: Saves an hour or so.

Soulstorm brewery, hub 1: In short, enemies are stupid. The “I made an improvement of 6 seconds in the intro” thing needs sorting out though. =/ Of note:
1:28: Video comments say he made an improvement of 6 seconds here, but the video still shows the slower way. Will the actual SDA version have the quicker version?
3:12: Wow, sligs are stupid.
4:33: Wow, flying sligs are stupid too.
7:14: Wow, developers are stupid too. This saves quite a lot of time.
8:15: Sloggies love of meat makes them look stupid.

Soulstorm brewery, hub 2: Aah, the dreaded Zulag 9 (and some other, easier stuff). Of note:
0:42: Never thought of doing it this way. Saves loads of time.
0:50: Sligs are stupid.
2:39: Nice timesaver.
4:11: These parts are a lot easier without mudokons to protect.
5:47: I -think- that if he had set up ledge trick in the previous area, he could’ve simply dropped down into Zulag 10. Would save about 5 seconds.

Souldstorm brewery, hub 3: Ledge trick comes to the rescue again. Of note:
1:25: This would be a more annoying segment if it weren’t for the ledge trick.
2:11: Nice, never thought of that =P
2:30: Again, sligs are stupid.
2:49: Abe can go up through solid floors too =P
3:24: Ledge glitch saves time, but makes the next parts harder.
5:13: Finishes run with another time saving ledge glitch, cutting out about 3 mins.

Awesome run is awesome. He missed one (maybe two) ledge tricks that I found, but also found a few I hadn’t. Great play quality and breaking of the game makes this an easy accept.

Quote:
Was confusing to navigate through the links, but came out with the right order in the end.

Great run, highly optimised. The YouTube isn't fully updated, as stated in his description for one of the videos, but it's a small improvement that wouldn't change the outcome on my decision.

Accept.

Can't comment on audio/video quality as YouTube is sub-par to publicaiton standard (Mike's note: Yes, the runner uploaded to youtube before giving out proper verification copies) Tongue

Quote:
Long story short, this run almost cuts the old time in half. The runner uses a few new glitches (most specifically climbing/dropping through the floor), avoids all the mistakes the last run made (slowing down for things, missing stuff, being too cautious, etc.) and also uses almost an entirely new route plan to accomplish this. There’s a really large sequence break half way through that skips two levels, multiple Fee Co. visits, and thirty three minutes of gameplay. This run needs to be accepted for sure.

Quote:
Verifier: so i checked my PMs and saw stuff about an abes exoddus run i was meant to look at about two months ago heh
Verifier: checked it out
Verifier: looks legit, that climb down through the floor glitch looks dodgy but i checked around and it's good
Verifier: run quality is exceptional too, he doesn't stop moving at any point
Verifier: i say accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a huge improvement.
Thread title:  
Oh, I do remember seeing this one linked on Youtube. And if memory serves, it was amazing, no less. Very clever use of glitches, too. I will certainly watch it again once it has been published.

However, considering how much the floor glitch saves time, wouldn't it had warranted another category? It makes it possible to skip that much of the game, you know. And indeed there are games that have had the category separation for less skipping.
Socially awkward ;P
I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE  Cheesy I'd like to see if there still are possible improvements.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Well the runner improved parts of this run, so here are the responses.

Quote:
Hey I just finished verifying the Abe's Exoddus run. It's pretty tight, only noticed one small mistake through the entire run and it cost less than a second. It's at 10:40 on the verifier copy, he overshoots the message stone by one square because he runs too far past it. Not sure if it was intended or not but thought I should mention it anyway.

Those OoB level skips in the scrab temple were pretty great too.

I say this run is a definite keeper. Accept.

Quote:
Wow, sorry for the late response. I verified this ages ago but lost my verification notes. I can't even remember what I put before as I wrote them two months ago:

No problems with video and audio quality. No cheating.

Necrum Mines:
- I'm not sure why he pauses at 5:49.
- 6:51: Is it not slightly quicker to skid or walk of the ledge, rather than running?

Necrum:
- Overshoots at 10:41.

Mudanchee Vaults:
- 14:00: my advice was used!
- 15:40 was a new addition, and a nice example of how all of the screens are connected. Saves quite a lot of time too.
- I saw the trick at 20:23 a few weeks ago, but I still don't have a clue why it happens.
- And at 20:31...
- Was the pause at 20:36 necessary?

Mudomo Vaults:
- Yeah, I have nothing to say on this.

Feeco Depot:
- 33:52: I can never do the mine glitch...
- 34:46: Is it not quicker to walk, rather than run, off this ledge?

Soulstorm Bewery:
- 38:57: Didn't know you could do that.
- 41:29: Hmm, why does the slig go back down the pulley?
- 45:43: Why the excessive pause?
- 50:34: I said before, but can you not use the ledge gltich instead of using the wells twice?
- 54:20: Can the ledge glitch not be activated without running into the wall?
- 58:20: Not entirely sure why the "worst" ending is achieved (that is, the one from killing all Mudokons) but I've had this happen before when glitching past the ender.

So yeah, overall, an easy accept. Basically, I found myself judging this as a TAS because the gameplay can be (and most of the time was) so precise.

Quote:
I finally sat down and reviewed that Abe’s Exodus speedrun after all this time. It’s damn near flawless to the point where I’m not sure I can even suggest any improvements. The discovery of new glitches and use of a new route knock off an entire hour from the existing speedrun. I remember verifying one that did pretty much that before this, but it never got posted and I assume it’s due to the runner submitting this improvement instead. I actually wish I still had that earlier improvement to compare this to. Instead of skipping parts of levels, he skips whole levels with some new glitches. I don’t really have much to say other than “Holy crap”, because the runner avoids over half the game. This must be accepted to SDA.

Yes, it's still accepted and everything.
Yarr
Naice. I'll answer the verifiers:

5:49  If you go to the last screen as fast as possible the mudokon will not get there, as the game doesn't account for AI 3 or more screens away. If you wait a second though, he will just have run into the second screen and respond to the open bird portal.
10:41  Yes, this was intentional but I think stopping running earlier is slightly faster. Same thing at 7:14, I didn't know you could stop right after a running jump there.
14:00  I took the verifier's advice, yes. If you prepare a ledge glitch in one map and execute it in another, the game will glitch up. I didn't try it before because I didn't know that those screens were on the same map (level, map and screen codes are shown in the pause menu).
15:40  You can see that the screens are connected to each other. You can also do this when there is one empty screen between them. 2 or more empty screens doesn't work as the game doesn't have them in memory or something, similar to the case at 5:49 one verifier pointed out.
20:23, 
20:31  I fall through 1 empty screen two times. Because of the height, you need a well to break your fall. If you use a well that ejects you (i.e. it isn't turned on yet), you will still see the old screen but are able to move around on the new screen, as there isn't a trigger to change the view. These both times however, I use a well that transports you to a well in another screen, which triggers the screen change. I haven't found a spot to jump into a well that ejects you, though it would be cool to complete a map just by ear.
20:36  If you don't wait for the scrab to open it's mouth he will eat you when you land in front of him.
33:52  The second verifier mentioned he couldn't pull this off. I did this on pc and I've seen someone do it on PSX (emulated though) so I don't know why that is.
34:46  I think running is faster than walking.
38:57  The third shot will kill you, but by then the walking-through-door animation has started, in which Abe is invulnerable. Similar to the mine glitch in FeeCo.
41:29  If you hold down the slig will go down again. You could hold up and he's go up again. This only works while he's still in the elevator animation.
45:43  If you chant immediately the slig won't respond and you just get zapped.
50:34  Zulag 6 and the hub are on different maps, so the game will glitch up. On the other hand, the four screens before zulag 6 are on the same map as zulag 6, that's why I prepare for a ledge glitch at 49:42.
54:20  You have to run into the wall because the platform is only 4 spaces wide.
58:20  I don't know why I get that ending. The game hangs at that point, you can't exit the screen.

@verifier 3: I still have the old version if you still want to compare them. The difference is 81 seconds.

I need the final time to reencode with statIDs. Does the final jump into the bird portal count as 'losing control'? 58:18 would be the time then. I only used autosaves to segment the run.
Edit history:
niebezimienny: 2010-07-10 12:09:10 pm
pierdole zdejmuje kominiare
edit; ignore this post, i was watching the old run...durr