Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Anders 'Pjoxt' Orndahl's Wizard run

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
To make a short story long, here are my comments about the run :

General comments :
I saw no cheating and no inconsistencies, the video is of great quality, same about the sound.

First chapters (1,2,3) : This wizard knows how to run Wink Missed some fireballs, but the run is fast and good enough.

Chap 4 : Really good ! Nice "swap location" shortcuts. Burn" fights against Barbaric and Keeper of souls were just perfect. I liked the use of sulfurous staff to force skelettons and warriors to shield. However I think Necromancer's fight would have been done faster with some well placed fireballs.

Chap 5 : The "ogress swap" is really great. Entire chapter is really well managed.

Chap 6 : The jump in the lava was quite impressive ! Fight with Horrendous is perfectly done, especially without slow/confuse spells.

Chap 7 : Again good "swap" shortcut, boss fight is quite good, this fight is very difficult for wizard and was done the best way possible, even if some seconds might have been saved, the entire chapter is well managed.

Chap 8 : Just crazy ! This bat is your best friend ! Liked telekinesis and swaps. Great fight against the golems Wink

Chap 9 : Great rush in the swamps Wink The fight against faeries is awesome. This chapter is almost perfectly done. I am just disapointed by the 3 necromancers part. Again, fireball was the move of choice and would have sealed the deal faster.
Oh, and poor Caine ate by wolves :O

Chap 10 : I have no word to describe this one. I was just astonished during all this chapter. "Swap location/Invisibility" combo is quite original, and saves a lot of time. Parts with invisibility might be slow, but it is known how gargoyles are a wizard's nightmare, so I think it is the best way to go. The use of "wall" was very surprising and saves a lot of time and a very annoying part of the chapter. Loved the swap with the mechanical golem at the end to blast it in the death ray.

Chap 11 : Well, this final fight is as short as impressive. Burn/reflective shield combo is great ! I wonder why this staff of oblivion was needed after all...

This run is really impressive, many shortcuts saves a lot of time, gameplay is quite awesome overall.

So I am glad to say I accept this run.

Quote:
There were no audio, video, or syncing problems.

There was no cheating, and the saves seemed consistent.

This is a great run! Nox is definitely not the easiest game to speedrun, and here it just looks easy. Also, the runner is very efficient with movement and time spent near mana stones. In most cases just enough mana is skimmed while running by the stones to get the runner through. Also, there are a lot of clever shortcuts to cut even more time off the overall clock. There were no major errors and a surprisingly few number of minor ones.

Recommendation: APPROVE

Quote:
segment 1 -
Minor things (misclick talking to Horvath) are fairly noticeable and are indicative to this game because of how movement is done.
Makes good use of inventory items on switch and does nifty trick of aiming the magic missles to hit the switches for him.
It was kinda sloppy around getting the sulpherous staff and hitting level 2. This could've been done better.

segment 2 -
the missing of the fireball on the archer(s), was pretty bad. Though clever tactics still allowed for a getaway with a minor punishment on time. The fight for the amulet went about as well as could be expected. Time was lost because the amulet could not be picked up sooner, but a product of the movement is the reason why it wasn't picked up the first time.

segment 3-
first real uses of "swap" magic, and its potential to skip parts of the game. Good implementations of each use. The runner follows a great path, but could the necromancer been disposed of in a better fashion using a fireball or two to his face before going for the lightning?
smart use of burn + staff to get the guardian.
burn + hits to cause teleportation of the mage, both tactics just genius.

segment 4-
more use of swap magic to make skip a good portion of the ogre caves.

segment 5-
for the start of a segment, i feel like there was too much time wasted trying to get the ogress up front. But the trick does save a lot of time comparatively.

segment 6-
nice fight for the halberd, pathing was great. Nice use of Lock to keep guards from piling up, though couldn't the use of a  little more direct tactics with the end fire knights have led to a little better time?

segment 7-
the hardest part of the wizard game, done so nicely. Especially given the lower level!

segment 8-
clever use of pulling the bat to bypass a good chunk of ix.
The daze into the poison trap is a bit ugly, but the golems were done in a timely manner.

segment 9-
had a hiccup in the drop sequence. nice switch hit by using the staff to shoot it behind the scorpion. The necromancers didn't wanna cooperate much though.

segment 10,11,12-
more of the clever,small minor problems.

is the extensive use of swap faster than just running while invis? I swear it is, but I could be wrong.

Final Thoughts:
This run has some of the best planning and strategies. The wizard literally "home runs" the whole thing. Bypassing a good chunk of levels, and has some pretty good to great fights.
There are some problems such as when picking items up but this comes from the controls of the game and would take extensive practice to minimize them as much as they are. The pre thoughts of picking up the armors of the fire knights to purchase reflective sheild pay off in large chunks. Invisibility I felt was a little down played.

Overall the proformance of the run was very good, though I felt there were a few little niches that could be fixed.

I'd love to see an improvement to this, but as it stands its still a damn good run in planning, execution and looks.

Accept

Quote:
Sorry it took so long to verify, I should check my messages more often. >_<

Anyway finished verifying it, couldn't see any signs of cheating and the run looked pretty smooth overall. The only thing I can think of to improve the run aside from just plain optimizing movements (which is difficult when everything except spellcasting and potions is controlled with the mouse) would be that it might be possible to skip the fight with the Vampire (the bat that turns into the guy with the war hammer) in segment 10, since the fight doesn't seem to be needed as the key drops from the same coffin that the vampire comes out of.

I say accept this as it's a very very impressive run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's another one of those super optimized rpg runs.
Thread title:  
Yes, I'm a wizard.
Hey guys, I'm glad you liked the run, and I do have some comments about a couple of the verifier responses:

Quote:
I am just disapointed by the 3 necromancers part. Again, fireball was the move of choice and would have sealed the deal faster.

I'm aware that the fight in chapter 9 against the 3 necromancers + 1 lich looked a bit slow, but the event is timed so that even if i disposed of the necromancers faster, I would have to wait for the lich to spawn. Because of this, I tried to take a safe approach to this fight in my run, and I managed to kill all the necromancers in time before the lich spawned, and place a burn or two on his spawnpoint, thus no time was lost fighting the necromancers.

Quote:
segment 1 -
It was kinda sloppy around getting the sulpherous staff and hitting level 2. This could've been done better.

Yeah, that was a bit unlucky how the magic missile only did 8 damage, even though they usually kill the mechanical flyers in 1 hit, but the start of the chapter was good (especially the completely random bit where horvath has to lightning a bunch of urchins which can take anywhere from 3-12 seconds), and that was my fastest attempt at that level so I went with it.

Quote:
segment 2 -
the missing of the fireball on the archer(s), was pretty bad. Though clever tactics still allowed for a getaway with a minor punishment on time. The fight for the amulet went about as well as could be expected. Time was lost because the amulet could not be picked up sooner, but a product of the movement is the reason why it wasn't picked up the first time.

Well time wasn't lost at missing the fist fireball at the archers by the elevator, because killing them doesn't speed up the elevator, I just kill them so they won't kill me while i'm waiting for it to go down. Also, archers like to dodge fireballs :(. A note about most items that you get from chests; the position they spawn in after you open the chest is seemingly random, which makes it hard to predict where to click after touching the chests, but yeah picking up the amulet could have potentially been faster.

Quote:
segment 3-
The runner follows a great path, but could the necromancer beendisposed of in a better fashion using a fireball or two to his face before going for the lightning?

Maybe. I have to admit that I'm not that good at aiming fireballs. Fireballs cost alot of mana, and missing one fireball on an enemy you have to kill is a huge timewaster, especially when you're low level and mana potions are scarce. Also, when standing behind a mana pylon channeling lightning, I'm safe from the necromancer's own fireballs, and you lose alot of time if hit by one of those. But still, future imrovements might include usage of fireballs in this battle.

Quote:
segment 8-
The daze into the poison trap is a bit ugly

Yeah, but I figured that there wasn't much time lost, considering how well I managed to do the rest of the level, it just looks a bit bad.

Quote:
is the extensive use of swap faster than just running while invis? I swear it is, but I could be wrong.

Running while invisible is faster than walking + swapping, but that also means that you aren't really invisible. You have to walk while invisible in order for the enemies not to attack. If you mean walking vs walking + swapping while invisible, then yes, swapping is faster in most cases. I do save some time doing this, because fighting hordes of gargoyles is slow, especially without mana. Trying to run past 20 gargoyles isn't really an option.

Quote:
I'd love to see an improvement to this,

So would I. 8)

Quote:
The only thing I can think of to improve the run aside from just plain optimizing movements (which is difficult when everything except spellcasting and potions is controlled with the mouse) would be that it might be possible to skip the fight with the Vampire (the bat that turns into the guy with the war hammer) in segment 10, since the fight doesn't seem to be needed as the key drops from the same coffin that the vampire comes out of.

You can't leave the room untill the vampire is dead.

Thanks to all the verifiers for their comments.