Daniel 'Kareshi' Brown's level 1 run

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
Verifier: north and south
Verifier: great run as well, pretty lol
Verifier: i mean, what can i say, it's optimized
Verifier: like i'm wondering how you would even improve it

Quote:
Ok, watched 7 times to check everything.

Video and audio is okay for a NES game. No problems here.
No cheating.

The run is good, there isn't much room for improvement because at the map screen the first battle was quick to begin, but the second hte CPU takes an north way to control a train terrain, which can't be avoided. This is not a luck issue.

The difference between game level (1, 2 or 3) is the number of parties you (or enemy) starts. This run was made using level 1 parties for both players. You can also choose the year of the war from 1861 to 1864, this is the CPU difficult level. So this game should be separated in different categories, at least by year. It's my opinion.

Also it doesn't use any of the random forces avaliable, which would make the run longer.

Both battle were great. At the first since it's an open grass terrain him/her just took the horses and went forwaring while attacking, there's no way to be faster.

The second battle which takes place in a canyon terrain, it uses a bridge and a small gap at the bottom screen. Since the CPU took the bridge way with the soldiers, it was just a quick guess to destroy the bridge with the cannon, but him/her made it quick enough for the enemy cannon not destroy his/hers. After that it was only a matter of taking the horses again, since they are faster than soldiers. He killed two of the horses to not lose time (maybe a second) to line them up, he took the gap, killed the horses and cannon.

That's it, counting from the momment the map screen show (which the game really begins) until the screen fade out after the second party was killed, the time was exactly 1:10.

Run accepted

Quote:
This run's comments are indeed very entertaining, but also include all the neccesary informations. There are no optical or accustical glitches, and the quality is as good as it gets for a NES game.

No sign of cheating, and even i was surprised as i saw that the entire video didn't even hit the 2 minute mark.

I'm a little disappointed, that only the jear 1861 was run and i'm hoping for further runs of the other years.

However, this run is legit and as fast as it can be. Vid and sound quality are.. well.. as i said, NES standard and therefore i guess it is somewhere around normal to high quality.

Long story short: I hereby verify this run to meet all SDA standarts.

Quote:
Verifier: Some comments for the North & South run
Verifier: Very short run, indeed. The quality seems fine in both audio and video.
Verifier: There is only one thing I can comment on really. That is if it would be possible to have the second enemy army to attack him in the end instead of waiting for the next round
Verifier: If that is possible: I suggest that he can redo the run, as it's so short anyway

[22:06] <kareshi> hey
[22:06] <kareshi> verifier sent me a message here on irc about that, but the answer is no, the second army always moves that direction, it will never engage you in combat during the second month

Decision: Accept

Reason: Dixie and the Confederacy shall rule again.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
kareshi: 2009-02-09 09:52:57 pm
Quote:
The difference between game level (1, 2 or 3) is the number of parties you (or enemy) starts. This run was made using level 1 parties for both players. You can also choose the year of the war from 1861 to 1864, this is the CPU difficult level. So this game should be separated in different categories, at least by year. It's my opinion.

Also it doesn't use any of the random forces avaliable, which would make the run longer.

The difference between game level is
1. the battle strategy of the CPU, and
2. the time limit for train holdups and fort takeovers

The difference in years is
1. the starting number of forces on each side, and
2. the frequency/amount of money from the trains

If there were to be seperate categories for years AND levels, that makes 12 categories. If you include the choice of North or South, there'd be 24. That's a big table for this little game, but maybe it's a doable table down the road. Personally, I wouldn't want "as the North" or "as the South" to be categories because the other army still fights the same way, and something like choosing North in 1861 would be basically the same run as this one, except take longer to reach the other side's forces.

Quote:
This run's comments are indeed very entertaining, but also include all the neccesary informations.

I'm glad you could read through that. It's really wordy but it actually has a few notes on the speedrunning method. There are more traditional, straightforward notes in the North & South forum thread.

Timing note: The game might "start" when the map screen appears, but I can't do anything until the cursor appears.
The loss-of-control is almost exactly one second before the last battle screen STARTS to fade out - everybody on screen freezes, but that exact moment can't actually be seen in this video because at that time I wasn't moving my infantry and my horses were off-screen. I've unofficially timed it to 1 minute 1.5 seconds using those timing spots.
Yes, a worthless avatar riding my posts.
KARESHI IS NUMBER ONE
Quote from ShinerCCC:
KARESHI IS NUMBER ONE

This isn't theshizz.org! You're confusing people!

Egon: Don't cross the memes.