Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2008-11-14 07:14:13 am
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

New Game + run on sweet difficulty

Quote:
This verifier requested his comments withheld.

Quote:
The run is pretty ballin'.

Personally, I'd have rather seen it all SS'd, but the game pretty much encourages segmenting, so I can understand.

I did like his segment 8. It was pretty funny to see him go charge shot after charge shot on pretty much every enemy that came up.

I also liked the nice little warp in segment 10.

His fight with Sir Henry Motherfucker was very well done as well.

There's a little bit to improve here and there, but most of that would be hardcore luck manipulation, since enemies in this game do a lot of blocking, cheesing, and gangraping.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome of the run.

Accepted

Quote:
Decision: REJECT

Overview:

This is a New Game+ which means the runner has the best weapon, the upgrade for unlimited battery, and all the money to pay for every ranking battle. There is no need to do time-consuming missions, which is how you fund the ranking battles in a normal New Game. Also the game is played on Sweet difficulty, the easiest setting.

There is nothing else to do in this runthrough except kill the henchmen on the way to the bossfight, then defeat the boss. The runner maintains optimal speed while on foot or on Schpeltiger during all travel between the apartment and the ATM or battles. Getting from the start of a mission to the bossfight is linear, so I'd say all routes are optimized as well. The exception is Speed Buster (Rank 3 battle), where perhaps using the other side of the street could save some time, but it's hard to say.

Given that each segment is very short, with actual missions taking well under 10 minutes, and there is only ONE thing you need to do, I would expect a run to have nearly no mistakes. That isn't the case with this run. Two of the missions just had too many small hangups when fighting the henchmen or driving to the boss, and two of the bossfights had small mistakes. This isn't a complicated game; there aren't hard to perform platformer maneuvers, weapon and item utilization choices, or difficult route decisions. A runthrough of No More Heroes must have perfectly clean bossfights. That's the whole game.

The majority of the game was great, with super fast kills and techniques, however I must reject on the basis of a couple less than perfect fights.

In Depth:

Segment 1 - Death Metal: Keep
Barely slowed down, great run, fast bossfight.

Segment 2 - Dr. Peace: Keep
Just one lockup with negligible time loss, flawless bossfight.

Segment 3 - Shinobu: Keep (small improvements possible)
Things started getting messy, but not too much time lost overall. The runner catches on fire, which is just lame, rather than slow. The runner also takes time getting a battery. The bossfight was awesome.

Segment 4 - Destroyman: Keep (could be improved)
Lots of damage, but those guys shooting are really hard to avoid. Great bossfight.

Segment 5 - Holly Summers: Redo
Starts off by parking too far away from the mission entrance. Why? This segment was too full of the runner getting knocked down, missing charges and getting shot. Should have reset before ever getting to the boss. The bossfight was good, but the runner took a hit while charging and lost time. This segment needs a better run through the beach and a flawless bossfight.

Segment 6 - Letz Shake: Keep
Nothing much to say; the runner does a good job of avoiding getting hit while running down a long hallway.

Segment 7 - Harvey Moiseiwitsch Volodarskii: Redo
Runner gets shot a couple of times, no big deal. The Pure White Giant Glastonbury game went okay, with a couple deaths. The runner dies three times, but defeats the boss quickly. Not much time lost here, if any. Then another bossfight mistake. The runner gets knocked down early while charging. This segment would be a keeper with a clean bossfight.

Segment 8 - Speed Buster: Keep
Good play in the bus depot and on the bus. Got hit a bunch on the run down the street to the boss, but no time lost as you have to wait for the cannon blast to dissipate. I doubt there is any time to be gained by an alternate route down the street. Any other route would have to get an entire cannon blast ahead to save any time, and it doesn't look like that's doable.

Segment 9 - Bad Girl: Redo
Good job in the stadium mowing down bad guys. The runner gets the enemies lined up well for the most part, and only misses a couple of times. Another run spoiled by the bossfight. The runner gets completely knocked down by one of Bad Girl's henchmen, losing time.

Segment 10 - Dark Star: Redo
C'mon, hitting crates and trees in the beginning of the mission? Why not just restart if you're only two minutes into the segment? Other than that, the bossfight was great.

Segment 11 - Henry: Keep
Perfect.

4 of 11 segments in this run need to be re-run due to small mistakes. These aren't just cosmetic either; every time you get knocked down, especially if it's while you're trying to charge an attack, you lose time. For a run on such an easy setting, with an overpowered weapon, a simple charge-and-swing strategy and short segments, it could definitely (and should definitely) be tightened up. To the runner I say great job finding the best way to take out the bosses, now it's just a matter of doing the missions over an over until you get the lucky one where you don't take a hit.

Quote:
I reject the run. It was decent, with a light mix of awesome, but it's not good enough. It seemed to suffer from lack of practice, planning and optimisation.

Segment 1 was quite good, but in Death Metal's office why does he charge first? There was only guy close to him and he had to wait before releasing it. A guy in the topic even told him he used charge slash often in the wrong places. The boss jumped away from him at the start of the fight, losing valuable time. Why didn't he restart? He's very random, so I might expect that in an SS (it usually took me 2-3 hours before getting an acceptable fight) but not here.

Segment 2 was okay. I was suprised with how many wrong decisions he made in combat, knocking guys down with the jump slash. From the first time it happens, it was clear they were going to pack together yet he still did it instead of a one hit charge. This happens far too often, losing almost a second every time. He knocks down a sabre guy but then starts to charge. Was everything going too fast for him (the runner)? He realises this but a little too late. He could practice the charge slash some more, he almost never releases it as soon as it's charged.

Segment 3 was annoying. Less than 2 minutes in he already makes a 3 seconds mistake. The mission hasn't even started. The mission just started and he's alrady killing 2 guys normally so he has to do the finish move. On top of that, he does the stronger finish, with the lightning effect, losing even more time. Was that just for the hell of it? He doesn't start breaking out the 2-hit-jump-slash combo until 2 guys were close together...

He almost knocks another guy down in the school because of starting the above combo too early, but the jump slash hit twice (not a bad thing but it looks cool). Almost straight after he does it again, gets hit, and has to jump slash again. Shinobu was only taunting him but he still releases the charge from too far away, so he had to do a third charge.

Segment 4 was okay. He messed up in the train a couple of times. Why didn't he restart?

At the movie place he keeps altering his combo for apparently no reason, guys were knocked down to little health before the jump slash. Looks like he didn't know which guys had more health than the others. The second room was bad all around. Looks like he didn't practice this section enough, a couple of times he just looked lost, like at 6:45.

Segment 5 was okay. Early into the mission he kills a guy normally and does the stronger lightning finish. With no one else around.

Against Holly, why does he start the fight by charging from so far away? She was also shooting missiles at the end and gave him plenty of time to counter with charge slash's i-frames. Instead he tried to charge fully, when the missiles were already out, and takes the hits.

Segment 7 was good but he really should have restarted with the way the boss fight turned out. Again, less than 2 minutes in and he messed up getting to the bike.

In the shooting game couldn't he have used the bomb to speed things up instead of saving it for the boss? There were plenty of bullets to slice so he could have used the bomb instead of playing it safe at certains points and replenished it long before the boss.

Segment 8 was awesome. Solid fighting and planning.

Segment 9 was okay. Why did he pause after finishing running people over? There's a sound bug after defeating the boss but no cheating.

Segment 10 was okay. Isn't there a way to avoid those hits on the bike and better spread out the wheelies?

He starts the hot boss fight from too far away, when she was taunting, and still gets hit. A similar thing happens in the third phase, charges and gets hit.
====

That's that. Hope you're feeling better, btw :p (yeah verifier posted this today :P)

Decision: Reject

Reason: An equal amount of accepts and rejects (two and two) usually means I reject, because the uncertainty between verifiers usually means there is something wrong with the run. Also, the responses from the verifiers who rejected the run went into more detail than the accepts (yes, even the long accept message). Basically the run was a mix between really great and mediocre segments.

Run available upon request (PM me).
Thread title:  
DAMMIT! Why did I not check to see if this one was ready for verification, I would have been on it.

Of course now all that discourages me a bit from doing the SS run on Mild. NG+ though.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Don't be discouraged from doing an SS run. Most people understand that you will have to deal with randomness in a single-segment run.