Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/NinjaGaiden.html

SS any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Hey Flipster,
  It's me again... Your buddy... Stalking you... Just a little.

Anyway, let's get Ninja'd.

Audio/Visual is good.  No cheating, just Ninja goodness. 

Act I - Flawless
Act II - As much as I approve of the Windmill Shuriken as it's such an awesome weapon, I don't about it here.  I'm sure it's to save super ninja magic points, but it looks funny to come to a dead stop like that for such a long time.
Act III - Nice.
Act IV (I like Roman numerals) - I always liked how you go from a jungle to the railway.  What happened on the way?!  We're missing out on at least a couple stages and some serious plot material.  We need this info damn it.  Good stuff.  Poor demon dog...
Act V - So this time you get the windmill shuriken and don't use it.  You're such a tease.  5-2 is black belt sexy.  Just watch it.  First real noticeable mistake in 5-3, great follow up to 5-2.  Tongue  Boss diced.
Act VI - 6-1 and 2 the runner gets a little jarred, must have been the nerves.  The run was almost perfect to this point but for the one bump in 5-3.  Bonus points for the 6-2 boost though.  6-3 bird boost is new and super sexy, I have now forgotten about the previous mistakes in the level.  He uses the bird and then kills it and then eats it.  Runner is a stone cold MURDERER.  Final boss fight is epic, insane luck.  Well done Runner.

Obvious verdict is a slashing ACCEPT.

Quote:
No cheats and the A/V is good to go.

This run has me slightly conflicted. I will say that it is a very, very, very good run with one glaring mistake. So lets break it down shall we?

Act I: Precise ninja action. No errors here.

Act II: The miss on the Windmill Shuriken trick is probably a reset at this level of running the game, but it only cost about 1 second so it is not the end of the world. The rest is very tight, minus a wrong way damage boost that costs less than a second.

Act III: Precise ninja action. With this route pretty much a flawless performance. Only possible improvements are crazy bird boosts in 3-2, and few very minor errors that cost a few frames here and there (well under 1 second worth).

Act IV: This is where things get interesting for me. I really like the route plan for this act, it is innovative and simplistic, which is what makes it so brilliant. Kudos to the runner for re-examining this area of the game. 4-3 is the main highlight here with a revamped strat and nearly flawless execution. Flat out awesomeness.

Act V: Great job on 5-1, it is pretty difficult to get 116, trust me, I know. 5-2 goes very well, nice ninpo management here allows for the gates of hell skip. Only way to improve would be to add the bird boost at the end. I have not tested it but it does not appear to be one of the easier boosts in the game. 5-3 is one of the first stages where more than 1 second is lost due to execution/route choice. Screen 2 was a bit safe for my taste and I like getting the 10 ninpo that was skipped.

Act VI: I disagree with passing up the 5 ninpo in 6-1, otherwise fine. 6-2 is not the hardest level in the game for nothing and it shows here. The most costly error route-wise was using the spinslash in screen two on the way down to kill the bird. Runner, should land and immediately spinslash to take out the bird and the crackhead jumper together. Runner losses the most time in the entire run in this level, about 4 seconds all told. He makes an excellent recovery in 6-3 UNTILLL...screen 4. When the runner got the medicine in 6-3d I almost fell out of my chair. He had exactly enough energy to proceed with ZERO RISK to the boss. Unless he dropped his controller, or had a seizure he literally could not die by damage. Now this mistake may seem small because it only cost 1-2 seconds but it is inexcusable and was completely avoidable. Is it enough to reject a run over?? Of course not, but it is a blemish on an otherwise extremely awesome run.

Now the runner does make of for this error with his excellent boss fights. The Jaquio fight was the opposite of what you usually see, it was very aggressive. The time was not the greatest, but the execution in how this fight played out was unbelievable. A lesser player would have lost a massive amount of time, but the runner stayed very aggressive and ended Jaquio in true ninja fashion. As far as the demon statue goes, this was a combination of huge brass balls and crazy RNG luck. I give the runner credit for trying this strat at the end of such a good run as he might have beaten the SDA time without doing this. The RNG cooperated and rewarded his risky gambit allowing for an extremely fast fight.

Overall this was an extremely tight run with some well thought out improvements. The majority of "mistakes" were extremely tiny and only cost frames with the exception of a few more costly errors. Congratulations to the runner for breaking in on such a hotly contested title, not an easy task at all.

Verdict: Accept, request runner make more attempts to get sub 12:30, he is more than capable.

Quote:
Flaws:
Stage 2-2
That windmill shuriken...TWICE?!?!

Stage 6-2
Many errors, already covered­

Stage 6-3
Did not need the extra health. At all.

Considering this is a game that lasts about 13 minutes max, the errors should have ended up as resets. However, he does improve the total time by at least 10 seconds.

Verdict: ACCEPT, but I would definitely encourage the runner to try a better run.

Dominique

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Kevin Carstensen!
Thread title:  
that Metroidvania guy
oh geez, another improvement so soon? sounds like that nico time isnt so out of reach after all
Cigar Man
Is my Ninja Gaiden run going to be removed from the queue now?
My feelings on The Demon Rush
We're thinking of just posting it anyway because it will probably be at least a couple of months before the new run is posted.
Don't know what to speedrun :(
Saw the run on the front page. Nice run. I don't know Ninja Gaiden that well but isn't that a new final boss strategy?
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from Youkai:
Saw the run on the front page. Nice run. I don't know Ninja Gaiden that well but isn't that a new final boss strategy?

Yeah that is a new, super risky strat that depends on the RNG because if just one of those projectiles hits you its a big problem. Big congrats to Arcus, very nice debut on a hotly contested title.
Quote from romscout:
oh geez, another improvement so soon? sounds like that nico time isnt so out of reach after all

What is the nico record?
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from Reeve:
Quote from romscout:

What is the nico record?

It is around 12:19-12:20 by SDA timing.
Damn! That's really fast! I have to watch it!

Thanks!
Congrats Arcus! The run is great and will be extremely difficult to beat for those who dare to try! Good luck with sub 12:30!