List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/NewSuperMarioBros.html

All bosses run?

Quote:
New Super Mario Bros DS Seg' Warpless run
Vailid Category: Yes (TASvideos does have SMB3 warpless but not 100% stages).

But apparently according to the route on the run it seems like it's a all bosses run (clear all castle and towers, minus 100% star coins collection).  The problem for that is well the world map splits into 2 twice.
              3 ->                  6 - ->
1 -> 2 ->          ->  5  ->            8
              4 ->                  7 - ->

I would have thought that the warpless run is similar to the SMB 3 TAS, get to the end as fast as possible without using any major warps, in my case Worlds 1, 2 , 3 or 4 (but not both 3 & 4), 5, 6 or 7 (again not both) and 8.

On the NSMB DS topic a few pages before the runner was finally making the 100% for real, there was a few posts to see what it was like to clear the game warpless.
I thought the pipes for the warpless run should be allowed because they play a bit similar role to the breakable rocks as seen on the SMB 3 warpless TAS run.

Video Quality Meh->Bad:
Reason being is because the camera isn't set to manual focus, you can tell that by trying to read the current level text (with the black screen background) before Mario Starts. It's unreadable.

Audio Quality Ok. But in some of the (verification copy) segments contains desynched audio like Segment 2 & 6.

Gameplay: Mixed
+ Does the risky Bowser Jnr Strat that involves jumping on top of him before he defends himself with his spiky shell.

+ Some interesting strats I'm not familiar with probably because it's not a 100% completition.

- Some of the mistakes are pretty... embarassing, at least the worst mistake is around 2 seconds at the most.

- When the runner opens the big red doors, he opens them at the very edge. It save In-game time counter (top right of the screen) but it's much slower for real time (0.25-0.5 seconds lost).

- The biggest flaw of the run is the flagpole. The runner doesn't face to the left before touching the pole, and in some of the levels he grabs the pole above the flag itself.

Saw segment 4 and I thought... What is this I don't even reaction because in the previous segment the runner does 2-3 Normal exit and then in segment 4 he does 2-3 again for the secret exit, I've also noticed that he doesn't follow the path after 2-Tower probably because 2-Tower counts as a All Boss run.

Another problem I saw in the route is that the runner gets the rare items from the bonus mushroom houses, it would be much faster to get them from the Red ? Box/Wondering Hammer Bro because it saves at least 10 seconds (if the luck factor isn't too late during a previous segment).

The route used for the run feels like a challenge based speed run, similar to a Reverse Boss order on Super Metroid or the Natural route on Metroid Prime. At best this run should be posted on the Internet Archive. Calling the run warpless feels a bit misleading.

I'll send you another message to my response of the levels performance in detail.

Quote:
Verifier: ok mike, I have no idea what category this nsmb ds run falls into
me: yeah that's what redacted said
Verifier: he uses warps, completes more levels than is even close to necessary to finish the game, but doesnt complete all levels
me: oh what
me: that makes no sense
Verifier: yeah
Verifier: idk what all levels he missed, but 7-2 and 7-3 definitely never got played
Verifier: I thought he was going to do them and the final castle in the last segment... he didnt
Verifier: also he uses the world 4 warp to get to world 7 instead of the secret exit in 5-Castle
Verifier: was this submitted by a forum user?
Verifier: if so, i need to know what this run is for, if not, my "ok mike" and "he uses" lines will serve as my verifier comments
Verifier: reject

Decision: Reject

Reason: This run isn't a real category.

The run is available for download until September 2nd. PM me for the link.
Thread title:  
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Out of curiosity, would no-warps and minimum-levels-necessary at the same time be a category?  IF it would, I assume this would go between minimalist and 100% (from my understanding, the runner here did something other than this), like a minimalist run minus the "major skip" from using a warp, even though major skips is not normally used in that way.  I just wanted to know, because we had a similar discussion about this in the TJ&E2 thread.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
Out of curiosity, would no-warps and minimum-levels-necessary at the same time be a category?  IF it would, I assume this would go between minimalist and 100% (from my understanding, the runner here did something other than this), like a minimalist run minus the "major skip" from using a warp, even though major skips is not normally used in that way.  I just wanted to know, because we had a similar discussion about this in the TJ&E2 thread.

It should.  It would be basically any% warpless.  It would be like beating SMB3 but not completing all of the levels.  It's a lot less arbitrary then "beat some levels, use some warps, but not the minimal levels...blah blah blah."
Master-88
Yeah and there is also one more example SMB 64 categorys

16-start (min-%
70-star (without major skip
120 star (100%)

Also SMB 3 there was also three category in TAS videos. Thats just surprised me why this is reason reject run if this are otherwise well played run.

IIRC my brother did several years ago casual speedrun single segmented this one. He beat it slightly under one hour somewhere 59 minutes.

EDIT:
I forget to say my brother did run without cannon warps (not all boss killed) Is cannon less run seperate category? 
Yeah i agree rejection all boss run, thats just not seems real category.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
^ I agree VG that it should be a category, at least as far as Mario goes.  Are there any examples of this on SDA?

Super Mario 64 I do not think actually works because 16 star is a "major skip" in the traditional sense.  SDA usually only flings around the "major skips" category when some kind of a glitch/oob/sequence break is used, such as the rabbit glitch in SM64.  I'm probably forgetting some game, or ten, where this is not the case though, so feel free to mention it.

In TJ&E 2, there is a warp zone at the beginning of the game which skips the first three or four levels (out of like seventeen).  The any % run currently on the site does not use this skip.  However, a new run was produced which does.  (Btw, the 100% definition which reached an apparent majority consensus depended on the collection of a number of secret items ... in other words, level completion was not relevant for 100%). Assuming the remainders of the two runs are roughly equal, would using such a skip justify a new category?  If so, would I be correct in thinking such a game would have four base categories, any % warp, any % no warp, 100% warp, 100% no warp?

Yes, Master is correct that the TAS guys have a separate category for this.  However, we currently do not have an equivalent category, at least in any of the Mario games, so I was not sure. 

I also imagine that the size of the warp may make a difference.  For TJ&E2, there is only one warp and it skips only about 15-20% of the game.

Anyway, care to weigh-in, admins?
Master-88
I mean there is two way

Beat all worlds & all bosses (i guess runner did)
Beat game without cannons warps (then you skip worlds 4 & 7) Or alternate skip worlds 3 & 6)

If you play game through with all boss kill then you have to play all worlds. Wink Run without cannon warps seems more real category than all boss killed IMO.
DS Dictator
Quote:
Also SMB 3 there was also three category in TAS videos. Thats just surprised me why this is reason reject run if this are otherwise well played run.

The third category is a Entertainment glitchfest run, something you won't see here.

Quote:
Is cannon less run seperate category?

Getting to Bowser Castle without a Cannon is techincally a warpless run so yeah. Just do 6 of the 8 worlds.

Edit: This was typed up before MASTER's 2nd post.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Yes, a warpless run that does minimal levels is okay, like a no flute SMB3. run.
Well, I have to explain some things:

The feature problem is the category. Now, I´m going to explain to the verifier my idea of the run:

In the beginning, I started to do a Any% run. In fact, I started to record the run but, one day, my little brother played in the same game than me, saved and damaged my run  Sad
For this reason, I decided to start another new run. In those days I was very busy and all categories that I thought would take me much time, but I had an idea, AllBosses Run, and decided to record it.
I saw interesting records (Any% with Oobs, for example) in this page and for this reason I thought that mi idea was good.

The category that I proposed is like a minimalist run. In this run mi idea was to beat all bosses in the minor time possible. In the game there are 19 bosses. To kill them I needed to pass some levels. The levels that I finished in the run are the necessary levels to arrive at the all Towers and Castles, for this reason, there are many levels which I didn´t finish (exactly, 23 levels). Now, a explanation about the route that I did:

-World 1: In this world I got the Red Flag of level 2 to get shortcut and can to go directly at the Tower. Then, I did the levels 1-4 and 1-5 to arrive at the Castle. I didn´t do the level 1-A because I needed 5 Star Coins and because it is of water and, if I had done it without the Blue Shell, I would have lost time.
-World 2: In this world there 2 levels that I didn´t play because I used the shortcut. If I got some Star Coins, it´s to buy the Red Mushroom House, save and get a item later. Finally, I did the level 2-3 twice to get the shortcut and arrive at the Castle directly. I didn´t do the levels 2-5 and 2-6 because in the level 2-6 nobody can´t do speedrun.
-World 3: In the beginning, I chose the level 3-A because, how it´s a speedrun, I chose the shortest way. Then. I didn´t unblocked the secret levels because I considered that the another way was better and I wanted to have the Blue Shell in the Castle.
-World 4: In this world I got the Red Flag of level 4-1 to get the shortcut and go (again) directly at the Tower. Then, almost in the end of this world, I left it to go at the World 3 and spend the 5 Star Coins buying the level 3-A. Then, I returned to get 3 new Star Coins and finish the world. It´s possible to do the second part of this world in one segment, but doing it well would be very hard and I wanted to do the Castle perfect.
-World 5: In this world I bought the level 5-A because I can do it faster then the level
5-2. Leter, I bought the level 5-B, went at the World 1 to get a Blue Shell and then getting the shortcut of level 5-B and go at the Castle.
-World 6: In this world I decided not unblock the secret levels and return at the World 4 to get an item, which I would use to get Star Coins.
-World 8: In this world I had to do all stages because here there aren´t shortcuts. I left this world to return at the World 4 to unblock the World 7.
-World 4: I returned here to buy a Red Mushroom House, get the Mini Mushroom and can unblock the World 7.
-World 7: In this world, I was little and I took it. Got the shortcut and returned at the World 8 to finish the second Tower.
-World 8: I finished the Tower and could become in Fire Mario.
-World 7: I used the Red Mushroom House which I got before to get the Mini Mushrom and, in the Tower, I take the power of Fire Mario to kill Bowsy faster. Finally,I used the Mini Mushroom in the level 7-4 to unblock the shortcut and go at the Castle directly, for this reason, I didn´t play the levels that you mentioned (7-2 and 7-3).
-World 8: Final Castle.

Final conclusion: In other categories there are differents objectives and only exist one thing in common, it´s necessary to do the objective in the minor time possible; for example in 100% the ojective is getting all objects the fastest possible. The objective of AllBosses is kill all final bosses in the minor time possible.
In this run I did the objective, I did only the necessary stages, I used speedtricks, cuts,  the route was very planned and, the most important, I finished the game in the minor time possible. For all it, I think that it would be a valid category…

You said,

Quote:
I have no idea what category this nsmb ds run falls into

and I hope that my answer can help you.
Waiting hurts my soul...
@juliano6010: if you want to do a 100% run, then do that. You can't pick and choose from it and make a new category. Another example of a category that wouldn't work is an All-Exits run (leaving coins out), which some might find interesting, but SDA has decided it's best to combine all of these objectives in a 100% run to minimize the number of categories.

No warps is a category modifier, so you'll have low% no warps (which might always have no warps, not sure, but you'd also have to deal with no items), any% no warps, and 100% no warps (which from what I can tell is almost always the case, except in this game where you need to warp and then back-track).

@InsipidMuckyWater: I agree with LordVG. The old run will become tagged with no-warps or warpless, or the new one will be tagged 'with warps'.
DS Dictator
Quote:
100% no warps (which from what I can tell is almost always the case, except in this game where you need to warp and then back-track).

For 100% run you need to use warps otherwise you will not get all 3 stars next to the file. Sort of like the Normal exits of Star World in Super Mario World.
A 100% run warpless is a no-no  Wink
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Greenalink:
Quote:
100% no warps (which from what I can tell is almost always the case, except in this game where you need to warp and then back-track).

For 100% run you need to use warps otherwise you will not get all 3 stars next to the file. Sort of like the Normal exits of Star World in Super Mario World.
A 100% run warpless is a no-no  Wink

I know, I mentioned that in the bold section. I was speaking generally about what acceptable categories exist. Obviously depending on the game, some categories just don't make sense.
Fucking Weeaboo
Well, I think for this game, these should be the categories:

Low% - Use warps and beat the game as fast as possible.
100% - Clear all levels, get all Star Coins and spend them for the *** on the title (currently posted run)
any% - Do not use warps and clear the games.  Split worlds do not have to be beaten (like the choice between 3 & 4, you can do either one, depending on which is faster, but do not have to do both).  You just have to NOT use warps.

This is just my opinion though.
Willing to teach you the impossible
First, I was not a verifier. But as with all rejected run, I asked to see it. Thanks again mike.

I understand what the runner had in mind. And I also see the verifiers problems. But what really should have been done was the runner to have found out if this could have been a category in the first place. That would have prevented this issue to start with.

As for the run, I see what the runner was going for (as in category). But I think there was issues with the run itself anyway. Good skill play throughout the game, but how the runner handled some things, such as the flag pole, makes the game play rather sloppy. So just on game play alone I think this run would have some issues. If it were to be accepted, it would be a rather weak accept. Overall I personally liked the run. But I would have prolly rejected on game play.

I agree with Lord_VG with the run categories. I think any and low should be swapped, but still its all the same.

This is just my opinion, I am not here to argue in any way.
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2010-08-03 05:20:10 pm
welcome to the machine
Actually, I think the categories would be:

Any% with major skips (warps)
Any% without major skips (no warps, fewest levels possible)
100%

I dunno why people are calling a warps run low%; what's the point of a low% run if it doesn't go out of its way to skip things (it's not like beating a level gives mario a new move)?  This is what a mario low% would be.
1-Up!
Quote from juliano6010:
You said,

Quote:
I have no idea what category this nsmb ds run falls into

and I hope that my answer can help you.

I was the 2nd verifier.  Yes, I saw that you completed all bosses, but what I meant by that is I had no idea which SDA-acceptable category your run fell into.  I wish you had checked with us first before recording a full run because we could have told you right off that we wouldn't accept an All Bosses run.

I implore you to submit an any% warpless or an any% warps run (or both) because for the most part your execution was pretty impressive.
Well, ok...

Finally, the run is rejected totally. Well, I´ll upload the run on Youtube and then on Casula Speedrunning.

Quote:
And I also see the verifiers problems. But what really should have been done was the runner to have found out if this could have been a category in the first place. That would have prevented this issue to start with.

Good idea.

Quote:
I implore you to submit an any% warpless or an any% warps run (or both) because for the most part your execution was pretty impressive.

I have planned other runs to make a record. But, before starting to record, I want to ensure if the categories will be valid.
I planned an Any% after seeing the run of "chronorox" and "terrotim", and I know that it will valid if I do it well, but now appear the problems:

-If I do a run which consists in getting AllCoins, will it be accepted? It isn´t a 100% because I don´t get all Red Flags, neither Mushroom Houses neither cannons.
-Can I do make a run that consists in finishing all stages in the minor time possible? It would be a AllStages run.

Quote:
the most part your execution was pretty impressive.

jajaja Thanks!  Grin
I can do it a bit better, but playing while I´m recording is more difficult than play without recording.
Fucking Weeaboo
Of course it's harder to play while recording, especially for the DS.  Not only do you have the pressure of making a good recording, but you have to keep everything steady on top of it.
Quote from juliano6010:

-If I do a run which consists in getting AllCoins, will it be accepted? It isn´t a 100% because I don´t get all Red Flags, neither Mushroom Houses neither cannons.
-Can I do make a run that consists in finishing all stages in the minor time possible? It would be a AllStages run.

No and no. Sorry...
Edit history:
ZenicReverie: 2010-08-04 12:57:08 pm
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from VorpalEdge:
Actually, I think the categories would be:

Any% with major skips (warps)
Any% without major skips (no warps, fewest levels possible)
100%

I dunno why people are calling a warps run low%; what's the point of a low% run if it doesn't go out of its way to skip things (it's not like beating a level gives mario a new move)?  This is what a mario low% would be.

I agree, low% should be without power-ups, but would there be a warps vs. no-warps category? The video you linked to uses warps (star road). If you wanted only 1 low% category, then you have to ask does low% to also mean the least number of levels completed, or does low% preclude their use?

Personally, I see low% as close to the opposite of 100% as possible. For this game, there appears to be a completion counter or something, so the lowest number is what low% should mean in addition to the no power-ups.
Quote:
No and no. Sorry...

No?! Mmm, I think that AllCoins run would be a valid because I was planning it before to do AllBosses run and I checked that the route is different, besides that the time used to finish would be some less.
Respect to AllStages run, I doubted becuase in the Supar Mario Bros, Andrew Gardikis did an all stages run.
You have an OOT all temple category, where the temples aren't necessary to complete and you still skip things like the Ice Cave and Bottom of the Well, as well as other otherwise mandatory segments. Can anyone tell me what the difference is here, because I'm heavily confused.  Cry
Quote from juliano6010:
Quote:
No and no. Sorry...

No?! Mmm, I think that AllCoins run would be a valid because I was planning it before to do AllBosses run and I checked that the route is different, besides that the time used to finish would be some less.
Respect to AllStages run, I doubted becuase in the Supar Mario Bros, Andrew Gardikis did an all stages run.

Well, the all stages is a no. In Super Mario Bros, all stages is 100%.

Quote from IcedCube:
You have an OOT all temple category, where the temples aren't necessary to complete and you still skip things like the Ice Cave and Bottom of the Well, as well as other otherwise mandatory segments. Can anyone tell me what the difference is here, because I'm heavily confused.  Cry

...That is the normal OOT WITHOUT MAJOR GLITCHES category. Note that World 4 and World 7 are completely optional to the average player.
DS Dictator
Quote:
No and no. Sorry...

Super Mario Bros All levels (aka 100%) is on here because:

* It's warpless
* It's linear (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 .......... 8-3, 8-4)
* There wasn't many other secondary tasks to do (no Star coins, etc).

The all bosses run on NSMB is not a valid category because:
* It's not as linear as SMB.
* It doesn't clear all of the levels
* Feels more like a challenge run like Max% Power Beam only run on MP1.

The all coins run on NSMB is also not a valid category because
* You need to do all of the levels, minus all of the secret exits and cannons, not enough difference.
* The 100% run on here is good enough.

All of the other possible categories that will not be accepted on SDA

- Warpless run, no pipes shortcuts on world maps.
- 100% run, no damage
- No dash button runs

Quote:
You have an OOT all temple category, where the temples aren't necessary to complete and you still skip things like the Ice Cave and Bottom of the Well, as well as other otherwise mandatory segments. Can anyone tell me what the difference is here, because I'm heavily confused. 

...That is the normal OOT WITHOUT MAJOR GLITCHES category. Note that World 4 and World 7 are completely optional to the average player.

You mean No Major Skips (NMS)... No Major Glitches will not happen here look what happened to the potential glitchless MM run & NMS runs doesn't go through Ice Cavern and BotW because it doesn't reward you with a medalian. You go in there for 100% runs to get both Iron Boots and Lens of Truth.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Greenalink:
All of the other possible categories that will not be accepted on SDA

- Warpless run, no pipes shortcuts on world maps.
- 100% run, no damage
- No dash button runs

Quote from mikwuyma:
Yes, a warpless run that does minimal levels is okay, like a no flute SMB3. run.

There's confusion here.