Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Kisuke run on muro difficulty

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: I'm going to have to HELLA reject this run; on boss standards
Verifier: 1. Swords breaking is usually a bad thing! Its only good when you want to rotate quick draws. If your sword breaks on a 1 target boss, don't  take it unless you really needed to avoid that hit.
Verifier: 2. Look into more blades! Some have some side effects which could let you get to other blades first! also, where are your accessories? Most can be picked up for a little more than a smoke bomb and carry you further through the game! There is a 5% exp accessory in the path of Kisuke (i'm damn sure on this cause I got it!) pick it up! 5% matters soo much, and could fix this 20 level deficit
Verifier: 3. Develop the reaction combos better, on the first boss the runner doesn't use the side swipe combo to get away properly and suffers horribly. There is also a way to use this to pass through Torahime's arrows rather nicely and even revert some back to her for more damage!
Verifier: 4. Punish bosses when they go up in the air. tri-Ace fanboy has great videos on Shiguru which (when they can) punish the bosses when they are launched. Hell Torahime gets bounced into the air, cycloned and then nightblade II'd for a whole health bar being defenseless. While the blades might not be in the cards (cyclone is...), punishment NEEDS TO BE PRESENT

Quote:
Reject.  Reject.  Reject.

There are three reasons.

1. Poor gameplay.
Bad fighting, especially in the earlier segments, and lots of inefficient movement throughout.

2. Large mistakes in planning.
The run feels like something the runner did after playing through the game two or three times maximum beforehand, without bothering to plan out any of the sorts of things a run like this would require planning out.  The most obvious example of this is when the runner makes very bad choices regarding segmentation that result in many minutes extra running  (the way the warping item functions, it takes you back to the last non-dungeon save point you used, by skipping some saves, large amounts of backtracking could have been avoided)

3. Not enough luck manipulation.
The runner is doing segments sub-5 minutes long, yet they still have mistakes and bad luck that take up over half a minute.

On top of all that, both video and audio quality are sub-par for SDA.

Quote:
I have to reject this run for the following reasons:

Doesn't skip the cutscenes.

Saves on every shrine, which leads to bad warping. There's a lot of backtracking in Kisuke's story, he has to go through Owari in Acts 3, 4, 5 and 6 so it's better to save there and skip the other shrines. This way the player can warp back to Owari after beating the boss and skip the other places on the way. I believe this would save at least 10 minutes.

Bad battles. The runner often attacks with the weakest weapon and rarely uses Quick Draws, or uses them late into the fight when most enemies are already dead. The first battle is a perfect example of this. He misses a lot too, and I don't understand how he chooses when to fight/run.

Bosses are really bad too, honestly it looks like the runner doesn't know how to deal with most of their attacks. Getting a sword broken should be a reset, but the runner often gets all 3 broken. It happens in pretty much all of them.

Also the runner often replaces his stronger weapon and keeps the weaker ones equipped. He forges a weapon in segment 6 for the 2nd boss, barely uses it in the fight and then forges another weapon to replace it right away in segment 7.

The good. The weapon choices and secret arts used seen good most of the time. It's hard to say for sure due to the lower levels but his tools are good enough, he just needs to make better use of them.

Some advice for the runner:
When eating, hold A to speed up the animation instead of just pressing it. It's much faster.

Regular blades often deal better damage over time. In the ground, do the regular combo and follow up with a slide afterwards to cancel the lag from the last hit. They're better in the air too, just don't finish the combo. Delay the final hit and it will start over, and you can stay in the air for a very long time. This makes Sayo, Tsuchigumo and Dragon God much faster/easier. Maybe Torahime too (she can be juggled whenever she loses a full bar).

Example:

In the areas where you can just leave the map to escape from the battles, it's faster to move with air dashes. This lets you ignore the spikes in Torahime's stage completely. It's also the best way to keep up with her.

Quick Draws recharge when you kill enemies and get souls. Using it early in the fight is always better, and for bosses you should use it whenever it's available.

Buy the Quick Draw accessory in Ise. It boosts QD damage by 10% and you don't have anything else to use until Shinano where you could buy the Clove Oil (boosts all damage by 5%).

Avoid boss attacks, or use secret arts for the invulnerability frames. Any energy spent by blocking is energy you could have used to deal damage. Letting swords break is never worth it, you could deal more damage than the free Quick Draw in the time it takes to block, break, recover and switch.

Reset if Dragon God uses the attack that makes him invulnerable for a long time.

Use the Iga/Omura stones you picked up from enemies to recover sword energy. This lets you spam more arts, so it's both safer and faster. No reason to buy them but you should make use of any that you happen to get.

Quote:
Way to tell me after I watch practically all of it...

For the record, I reject it extra hard.  You can tell by his own comments that he has no confidence in his run, and while he gets from point A to point B pretty well, his boss fights are pathetic...pitiful even.  I'm guessing this guy didn't even beat the game on Shura (hard), playing like that.

Decision: Reject

Reason: Just read the verifier responses.

This run is available upon request. PM me before November 21st if you want to download the run.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2009-10-21 09:44:54 pm
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
O how I love the "No Mercy" of the verifiers... Just by reading the comments, I can see that I was far from ready to tackling the run... The accessories I admit could have been something taken into consideration, although at no time did I make any detours to get any...  Looking back though I do see where I could have gotten the Jyoenji stone in Shinano (that 5% exp boost) though I just ran past it... 

The blade management was also a bit sloppy... It wasn't after I finished the run did I realize I could have had better weapons in some of the earlier fights, so that needs to be taken into better consideration and I do need to work on the comboing and the anti-air game...  The bronze mirror item though is a bit concerning to hear about, although I can see how it could have been used better, so I also need to better plan that too and have less segments...  Out of all of the verifiers, I enjoyed the third verifier's comments the most since this was an equal amount of bashing and complementing; along side with making suggestions of how to improve...

After going back to rethink my strategy, I'll see if I can try again soon... I hope that I didn't offend anyone with the run submittion...  I don't know how, but the last thing I want to do is to get on anyone's bad side due to this run...  I like to thank everyone who at least watched my run and hope they at least enjoyed a few parts of it...
Quote from MAS8705:
O how I love the "No Mercy" of the verifiers... Just by reading the comments, I can see that I was far from ready to tackling the run... The accessories I admit could have been something taken into consideration, although at no time did I make any detours to get any...  Looking back though I do see where I could have gotten the Jyoenji stone in Shinano (that 5% exp boost) though I just ran past it... 

The blade management was also a bit sloppy... It wasn't after I finished the run did I realize I could have had better weapons in some of the earlier fights, so that needs to be taken into better consideration and I do need to work on the comboing and the anti-air game...  The bronze mirror item though is a bit concerning to hear about, although I can see how it could have been used better, so I also need to better plan that too and have less segments...  Out of all of the verifiers, I enjoyed the third verifier's comments the most since this was an equal amount of bashing and complementing; along side with making suggestions of how to improve...

After going back to rethink my strategy, I'll see if I can try again soon... I hope that I didn't offend anyone with the run submittion...  I don't know how, but the last thing I want to do is to get on anyone's bad side due to this run...  I like to thank everyone who at least watched my run and hope they at least enjoyed a few parts of it...

Not really concern of mine, but just an advice : Don't get discouraged. Some verifiers can be rude, but take their comments as advices. I guess you're new in speedrunning, and that's normal that you fail at your first real attempt. You've got to learn from you mistakes, because verification is pretty hard here (to ensure quality runs), and only nearly flawless runs are accepted.
But I'm sure that, with some great work on your run, you'll be able to submit it. Just keep working on it Wink

(And sry for my sloppy english)
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Good advice. Haven't seen the run or anything, but those have to be the harshest comments I've ever seen by far. MAS is taking it pretty well considering.

Best of luck in all future submissions!
I want off the ride....
verifier #1 here; yeah I was harsh but thats cause... I had a big bias that there could not have been much practice that went into this run.. and yeah my room mate (Glamador) saw this game on our screen and wii exclusively for a WHOLE week. (60hrs + between us both). we did about everything in the game on Shura... and watching it on muso like this was kinda discouraging to me.

Yeah take what we say with a big huge salt shaker of salt... I had a bad mindset of 'did he even look... no accessories? What? Which blades... Why.. that one?' and well I didn't go into detail as I really only watched a few (first 5 then skipped around to your bosses...). Everything has to start somewhere...
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Though all the criticism may sting MAS8705, let it comfort you to know that I was in your very same position back in 2005 with Radix mentioning in the update featuring my first speedrun to "fast forward five minutes at [point x] because of an extremely careless death (among other criticisms to follow)" And look how much I've progressed since!

This is your starting point, certainly not the end. Smiley