Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Mr. Red's Adventure in The Missing Balls (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Reject

Reason: ktwo pointed out some routing errors that would save at least several seconds, and for a run this short that's enough for a reject

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/queue/verificationfiles/953/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

Mr. Red's Adventure in The Missing Balls (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/mrred/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by March 23, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Not a walrus
Well this is probably the silliest thing I've seen in recent memory. AV was fine, run seemed reasonably polished with good planning for health.

My only question is why doesn't the runner chase the final boss across the stage? I assume it doesn't actually do you any good, but for a run this short it seems like if it DOES speed things up then it kind of puts me on the fence about it, since the rest of the run seems fine.
I downloaded this game and played around with it for a few minutes. It's just as easy as it looks. The control scheme is very simple, there are no difficult tricks/exploits (I died just before the last boss, so I don't know how hard/random that is though) and the game layout presents no real challenges. There are no difficult jumps and I couldn't find any sections that looked hard to get through without taking unintentional hits or anything. Based on my impressions, I'm gonna expect very high standards for this game...

A/V: Looks good to me.

Execution: A run of a game like this should have barely any mistakes at all.
- 0:45, the runner gets caught on the stairs losing a few tenths of a second. I tested to make sure that it was possible to get through without stopping and it was (easy). There are more "bumping into stairs" later on as well. Some of them no doubt because of the level layout, but maybe more execution mistakes also. I didn't test other than the first though.
- 5:02, it looks like the runner only dealt one hit here (as opposed to two or even three in previous phases). That made the last boss go on for a whole additional round. 5 seconds lost?

Routing: While watching the run, there were a couple of things that caught my eyes. Some of them I tested, some are just question marks.
- 2:22, here is a major mistake. First some background. You can have up to 6 health in this game. One hit (regardless of the type) costs one health. 1 health can be restored by destroying snowmen. The time cost is roughly 1.5 seconds (2x 0.5 seconds for destroying it and the 0.5 seconds for collecting the health item). In this area, the runner takes two hits. However, it would have been possible to avoid both hits and even gain one health! So around 4.5 seconds lost. To do this, land one hit on the first gnome, retreat a little to dodge the gnome's blow and then quickly approach for two more hits. Same for the second gnome. If timed correctly, you can at the same time destroy the snowman. Once the first two gnomes are down and the health item is secured, move next to the chimney and proceed with taking out the remaining gnomes like shown in the submission. I tested this myself and managed to match the time in the submission while avoiding hits and getting the extra health.
- 3:47, you can jump directly to the platform above without first jumping onto the right ledge. Maybe 0.5 seconds lost.
- 4:11, it looks like waiting would have been at least a few tenths of a second faster than taking a hit here (remember that restoring health wastes a lot of time).
- 5:09, the runner takes three hits. I'm pretty sure it would have been faster to use the fighting method mentioned above. So deal one hit, retreat to dodge the return blow and then two quick ones for no damage taken. A few seconds lost?

Overall, while the visible mistakes are minor, I believe several seconds can still be squeezed out of this run. Considering how easy the game is, I think the run needs to be further optimized before being ready for posting here. I can see the runner posted in the forum about this run and all I can say is that it's unfortunate that there was no feedback. Unless the runner has good answers to my comments above, I'm gonna recommend a

REJECT
Vanilla H is mai waifu
A/V : good

I have the same opinion.
For a game THAT easy, having some routes "not perfect" is a problem I think.
you should use more time to do route planning before submitting it to SDA, even if this run is already decent.
the final boss is surely where you should work firstly.

I recommend a REJECT for this run, and I recommend the runner to continue to work on it before submitting again.
Decision posted.