--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-05-02 04:09:11 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet, should it exist?

PAL run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video and Audio quality: Very good
No cheating detected.

Mission 01:
Quote from runner:
00:38 -> You don’t have to kill the 2 enemies there, but it’s better for backtracking (-2secs)
01:52 -> My mistake, my reaction came too late
04:13 -> That was just bad luck, ‘No Face’ beeing right in front of me

1) True, it does make it easier, but it's still 2 - 3 seconds lost.
2) Running past and taking 2 machine gun hits is faster, although it reduces ammo, so not sure if you can live with that. In any case, need to avoid that hit.
3) That was bad luck, but overall a fairly quick boss fight.

The power room was lucky not getting hung up on the enemies there. Coming back from that room, it's possible to get lucky and be able to run right past the guard. While testing this out I found that I could hit some doors just right and clip through them as they open instead of waiting for them to open. Happened most often with the card access door. It's also possible to get lucky with the guard placement after that door and be able to pull the switch and get out without need to use a detonator.

Mission 02:
Quote from runner:
00:36 -> Pure luck, you have a 50% chance that the enemy is standing with his back to you (-2secs)
05:37 -> My reaction came too late
06:41 -> That was bad luck, I couldn’t pick up the shotgun, so I had to pick it up at 07:20 (-8secs)
I have to take the long route back anyway to pick up the shotgun ammunition

1) 30 seconds in and already a 2 second mistake seems like a good reason to reset.
2) This is rather unfortunate
3) That seems like it should end the segment if it's really an 8 second loss.

Your shooting is really good, and I can tell a lot of practice has gone into the shooting portions of the game. At 6:48, you got tripped up on a guard, lost 2 seconds. The boss went well.

Mission 03:
Quote from runner:
02:44 -> I got hit there (-3secs)
02:56 -> Wrong strategy (-3secs)
05:18 -> My mistake, my reaction came too late (-4secs)
06:07 -> I take a slightly longer route but I need the detonators later in mission 04 for a very effective strategy (-8secs)

1) This
2) coupled with this, should probably have been a reset.
3) Add this in, then I'm not sure why you didn't go for this again.
4) If this is for a faster strategy, then why do you list it as a mistake? Was it a mistake in the first place? Like you thought you'd use them, but don't?

Nice setup with those three guards in a row. The mistake of looking at the mission at the boss cost 2 seconds. The last medpack used turned out to be unnecessary (lost 3 seconds).

Mission 04:
Quote from runner:
* -> The whole part at the beginning was just pure luck, not getting hit by a grenade or rocket.
I managed to not get hit a few times before, but it wasn’t possible in this speedrun (-8secs)
03:53 -> Because of the green light it was very difficult to see the right spot a the wall for the detonator (-8secs)

1) I'm not sure -8 seconds is accurate
2) Either for this.

Overall I think this level went pretty smoothly, although I believe those mistakes you pointed out are avoidable. The first happens within the first minute, and the second can be resolved with practice. Multiple trips on the guards after you've knocked them down are minor, but should be easily avoided.

Mission 05:
Quote from runner:
02:17 -> This audio glitch is normal. It happens when the enemy is moving after you picked up the item.
05:02 -> My mistake, my reaction came too late (-7secs)
05:30 -> My mistake, I should have jumped a bit more on the right site (-3sec)
06:30 -> Small mistake (-1sec)

1) Audio glitch noted. I guess they expected you to kill him first.
2) Yes, unfortunate again.
3) It looks like you got hung up there.
4) I'm really not sure about your timing, this seems like 2 seconds.

Very well done first half. The rest of the level went not perfect, but not too badly.

Decision: It's really hard to decide on this one. I'm on the fence here, but I think there are too many mistakes that add up to at least a minute of improvement over the course of this segmented run. It's not an easy accept; I'm going to say reject, and that's hard because I empathize with the amount of luck involved, and how easy it is to get caught on edges. Sorry it took so long to get feedback on the game, but we'll be here next time if you decide to tighten things up and run it again.

Ending thoughts: You finish the game with 7 explosives, and beat the last two bosses to death instead of using them; ending both levels with full life. I don't see a clear reason for this.

Some notes if you try again:
1) The menus could be faster, instead of looking at the items as you select them, try to commit the locations to muscle memory by counting the number of times you need to push down in order to select them. You'll be surprised that once you practice this enough you won't even think about where the item is and you'll be pressing down exactly 8 times when you need to.

2) I'm not sure if it was just a PAL difference, but my copy of the game loaded faster on a ps2 without even activating the quick load function.

Quote:
This is a tough one.

Let me start by saying that I feel this is a pretty good run.  It looks like the runner planned out the route and what needed to be done very well.  And for the most part, aside from the spots the runner indicated, the execution looks very good as well.

The difficulty for me in making the decision stems from the fact that the run is in segments.  The segments also aren't terribly long and I feel that there were too many mistakes given this fact.  And regarding the luck, I know from experience that trying to get the right luck can take a long time and be very frustrating, but the benefit of a segmented run is that you can try until you get the right luck.

I'm leaning toward reject on this one.  If it were a single-segment run, I think the mistakes and luck would have been more acceptable.  However, given that this is segmented, I think that the runner should have spent a little more time on each segment and tried for better luck.  This especially goes for the first stage, since it was the shortest.

This decision is really hard for me because this run has been waiting for so long and because I still feel it's done pretty well, but how long it's been waiting is not a good reason toward a decision and because it's in fairly short segments, I feel it could have been a little more well executed.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this...

A/V - Audio's good, video is okay, but I suppose that's just due it being a verification copy
Cheating: None

Quote:
Game- Mortal Kombat Special Forces

Video quality- Good
Sound quality- Good

Evaluation of the run-
As far as the route and plan is concerned, it seems to be very solid. The use of weapons and when to pick up items is thought out and while seemingly a little rough around the edges, still provides a decent strategy. Combo-cancelling on the bosses to keep them locked in place and mostly unable to attack is a fast and safe strategy.

However, the execution, while not needing to be perfect, is rough too. It seemed that the runner takes a few seconds in most of the missions to dispatch enemies that could be avoided (although I could be wrong). Missions 2 and 3 are probably the worst culprits.

While the above is not really bad for a speedrun, the fact that this run is segmented means that the runner could have manipulated luck with more resets to correct mistakes and get faster times in all missions.

Final Decision- Weak Reject
This is a run that toes the line to Accept. The route and planning is solid enough and the runner shows that he is skilled enough to perform a run of this game, but not taking a little more advantage of manipulating luck and correcting some mistakes keeps it from crossing that line. I honestly hope that the runner works on this run again, as I know that a faster time for each mission can be achieved.

Decision: Reject

Reason: The planning is good, but the execution is a bit lacking, especially for a segmented run.

As always, I'm keeping the run around for a month, just PM me for the link.
Thread title:  
(user is banned)
Edit history:
MortyreR45: 2011-05-04 03:00:40 am
MortyreR45: 2011-05-04 02:39:35 am
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
In first thanks for the verify.

# Verify 1

Quote:
Nice setup with those three guards in a row. The mistake of looking at the mission at the boss cost 2 seconds. The last medpack used turned out to be unnecessary (lost 3 seconds).

The menu is not a reason for this game to give a necessary mistake. This boss fight on mission 3 was the most luck manipulation in this game and I had plan to use all medipacks. But I had so many luck with this fight and all medipacks was not used. On the easy mode, you need not a medipack.

Quote:
Ending thoughts: You finish the game with 7 explosives, and beat the last two bosses to death instead of using them; ending both levels with full life. I don't see a clear reason for this.

Nobody has mention that this run was done on the Hardest difficulty. For all boss fights do not use the rocket launcher, grenade launcher, detonator, machinegun and the sniper rifle. Because the damage is to low and do nothing help to win faster a fight on a boss. Only for the boss fight 2 work a detonator for the fast death. I think you have not played this game on the hardest difficulty. The reason I have the rocket launcher is, that was on the route, so I had pick up this item, but not I must have this item, because is it on the way of the route.

I have the rocket launcher but I have no ammo for this weapon ! what is this for a verify ?

Quote:
Decision: It's really hard to decide on this one. I'm on the fence here, but I think there are too many mistakes that add up to at least a minute of improvement over the course of this segmented run.

Nobody has never submit a run on this game and SDA has listed 647 games which the most runs improved so many times in the history of SDA.
And you say the reason for the reject is that can be improve of one minute ??
SDA has runs listed and years later comes a improve of a run with over 1 hour. I do not really understand this reason.

Quote:
Some notes if you try again:
1) The menus could be faster, instead of looking at the items as you select them, try to commit the locations to muscle memory by counting the number of times you need to push down in order to select them. You'll be surprised that once you practice this enough you won't even think about where the item is and you'll be pressing down exactly 8 times when you need to.

The menu is not a reason for this game to give a necessary mistake.

# Verify 2

Quote:
The segments also aren't terribly long and I feel that there were too many mistakes given this fact.  And regarding the luck, I know from experience that trying to get the right luck can take a long time and be very frustrating, but the benefit of a segmented run is that you can try until you get the right luck.

For me has this run enough luck situations. Luck Manipulation is a extra category.
Can you write a list of the so many mistakes ?
I have listed 16 mistakes in this ~40 minute run.

# Verify 3

Quote:
The route and planning is solid enough and the runner shows

that he is skilled enough to perform a run of this game, but not taking a little more advantage of

manipulating luck and correcting some mistakes keeps it from crossing that line.

The run time is 37mins and 26secs and the run has 16 mistakes. I had write my own verify in the a. comment.
Luck Manipulation is a extra category.

And for the problem for the execution on enemy's, I do not must kill all of them. I only shot my way to clear my route. With the shootgun you can shoot on a enemy and is not dead, but he move back and my way is free of them.
execution = law ?

All of this answers, so I think that SDA must reject over 50% of all runs which listed in the game list. Because, the verify say it for this example.

Ok, the run is reject and I accept this, but I do not play this game again.