Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet, but it should.

Daniel 'Kareshi' Brown's run

Quote:
Verifier: this run was incredibly well thought out and also very well executed
Verifier: the only real rough stretch was near the end of stage 5
Verifier: other than that, it was great quality as expected
Verifier: ps why didn't you record the ending, it's hilarious (he did, I guess nate cut it)
Verifier: pps your dance along with the dancing zombies was hawt

Quote:
No cheating that I can see.
No deaths.
Audio and video are okay.

Level 1...
At first I wasn't sure why the runner killed the first pair of legs at the beginning.  Then after I did a few tests, it seemed like the third pair of legs that drops his first pill doesn't turn up without killing that first pair for some reason.  I assume that's his explanation.  Otherwise that part doesn't look right to me.

Level 2...
Nice job beating up the fried foods.

Level 3...
He showed good forethought in killing the cow boss near the exit, as well as a few others later I think.

Level 4...
This is probably the worst level.  It doesn't have any major mistakes, just a little less smoothness than some of the others.  It amounts for a loss of 5-10 seconds total maybe.

Level 5...
The most aesthetically unpleasant mistake is here, when he falls in the water.  It's only a loss of 1 or 2 seconds though.

Level 6...
I've never memorized the maze in this level so I can't say whether the route is optimal.  It all looks the same to me.  It seems fast enough though, with no major backtracking that I can detect.

Level 7...
One of the best looking levels.  Royce is easily turned into, uh.......bird food?

Level 8...
Also one of the better levels.  The bosses are all beaten easily, thanks to some optimization of Bert's laser.

Here's some overall thoughts.  This is some absurd nitpicking, but he could be inching forward whenever he needs to duck.  The crawl/floorhump move is really slow though, so he only loses fractions of seconds doing that.  The bosses seem slightly random at times, and that will never completely go your way.

Some people might think he kills some monsters unnecessarily.  I thought so at first, but after watching it several times, I decided he kills almost as few as he can.  You simply need a certain amount of energy for fighting bosses, as they are inevitably going to hit you a few times.  As far as character selection goes, it's beyond me.  You probably lose about 6-7 seconds every time you transform.  There are parts where Bert might be faster, but not fast enough when you have to sit through that changing animation.  You have to be careful with that.  If there's a faster tactic there, I don't know of it.

So it's not completely flawless.  However, it is an entertaining run and probably won't be beaten soon.  It's easily the level of quality I'm used to on this site.  In my opinion it should be accepted.

Quote:
This run was awesome, the only really obvious mistake was getting stuck on a platform in stage 5, though I'm sure the runner felt worse about that than I did.

Decision: Accept

Reason: A straightforward run with very few mistakes.

Good thing we have verifiers like the second one, unlike the other two knuckleheads. Roll Eyes

Kareshi: I just put your tape in the mailbox today. You need to send me comments (if you sent them, I don't have them).
Thread title:  
Quote:
Verifier: the only real rough stretch was near the end of stage 5
Verifier: ps why didn't you record the ending, it's hilarious (he did, I guess nate cut it)

Yes, I agree about the end of Stage 5. It looks worse than it really is, though, because I don't lose more than a couple seconds and enough spots in the rest of the run went better than planned. I stopped the ending at that spot on purpose to make you wonder what's in the box.

Quote:
Level 1...
At first I wasn't sure why the runner killed the first pair of legs at the beginning.  Then after I did a few tests, it seemed like the third pair of legs that drops his first pill doesn't turn up without killing that first pair for some reason.

Correct!

Quote:
Level 3...
He showed good forethought in killing the cow boss near the exit, as well as a few others later I think.

Good catch, that's what I was trying to do.

Quote:
Level 4...
This is probably the worst level.  It doesn't have any major mistakes, just a little less smoothness than some of the others.  It amounts for a loss of 5-10 seconds total maybe.

I was happy enough with this level. Just the one spot with the scorpion after the cat fight really sticks out to me, and the other scorpion that I have to kill for the Bert pill. This is just a tough level to make look good.

Quote:
Level 5...
The most aesthetically unpleasant mistake is here, when he falls in the water.  It's only a loss of 1 or 2 seconds though.

For sure. It shouldn't have happened, but the rest of the run made up for it.

Quote:
This is some absurd nitpicking, but he could be inching forward whenever he needs to duck.  The crawl/floorhump move is really slow though, so he only loses fractions of seconds doing that.

I hadn't even considered it because I don't have to duck down too often and it is very slow. But maybe it would have made some parts look better aesthetically.

Quote:
Some people might think he kills some monsters unnecessarily.  I thought so at first, but after watching it several times, I decided he kills almost as few as he can.  You simply need a certain amount of energy for fighting bosses, as they are inevitably going to hit you a few times.  As far as character selection goes, it's beyond me.  You probably lose about 6-7 seconds every time you transform.  There are parts where Bert might be faster, but not fast enough when you have to sit through that changing animation.

Very observant and correct. I made notes of why I kill the ones that I do in my comments, for levels up to 4 it's because I need health, which is always at its lowest point at the end of the guitarist boss. I also explain my choices of Mark vs. Bert.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Quote from kareshi:
I stopped the ending at that spot on purpose to make you wonder what's in the box.

The real genius of kareshi always shines through in the end.