Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2012-01-22 05:49:36 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/PunchOut.html

IL Table and SS run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
When signing up for verification, I didn’t know that we were going to have two separate runs to verify; A Individual Level and a Single Segment.
As I said in an earlier verification (ironically enough from the same series), I enjoy these kinds of verifications since if the IL is faster than the current run, then it is an easy accept, but since a SS was also submitted, then-

Ok, you know what?  I’m just going to focus solely on the SS first, then the IL later, that way it will be easier to compare.
SS-
It goes without saying that the SS will probably be slower than the current run, but considering we have the same man doing this run, I’m sure we should be in for a treat.  I watched the SS run with the segmented run and saw some interesting things.  Going off the “In-Game” timer
Glass Joe- Even
Von Kaiser- +1
Piston Honda- +1
Don Floningo- -1
King Hippo- +19
Great tiger- Even
Bald Bull- +2
Piston Honda- -4
Soda- +5
Bald Bull- Even
Don Falmingo- -2
Sandman- +3
Super Macho Man- -14?!
Mike Tyson- +28
What impressed me the most was how some of these fights were actually faster than those in the segmented run, and while King Hippo and Mike Tyson gave the runner the most trouble, it was still a very fast time, especially since the runner was able to KO Tyson 3 seconds before the end of the first round, if the runner failed to do that, then it might have been harder to accept it, but if you compare the times, the SS is about 37 seconds longer, and that is pretty good considering doing the run in one sitting.  Can it be improved, perhaps, but then you would be asking the runner to be just as good as in the segmented run (which is possible, but again, I’m not going to be riding the runner on this…)
Accept

ILs
Now that I got the SS out of the way, it makes things more interesting since both the SS and ILs had good times, so (as how other Punch-Out ILs have been)  I expect ILs to be faster for a quick accept or reject…
Glass Joe- 42 sec- Even, right down to the millisecond?!  I am not kidding, Both the Segment and this IL are the exact same time…
Von Kaiser- 36 sec- 1 second
Piston Honda- 43.82- 4 second
Don Flamenco- 14.97- Twice!?!  Once again, this IL has the same time as the SS completion time.
King Hippo- 37sec- 4 second
Great tiger-47.99…  You honestly bested the previous time by a hundredth of a second?!?
Bald Bull- 1:01- 10 seconds
Piston Honda- -52- 2 seconds
Soda- 50 sec- 6 seconds
Bald Bull- 1:25- 4 second
Don Flamenco- 1:35- 19 sec!!
Sandman- 2:20- 4 seconds
Super Macho Man- 50- 6 seconds
Mike Tyson- 2:19-  10 seconds
So yes, overall, we have 12 improvements, and 2 ties.  Of course, the two ties aren’t a big deal since that just means that we had the record set at a much earlier time.    Overall, these ILs also get accepted… 
Congrats to the runner for going up and beyond with this game, truly you have done more than enough with this game, dissecting this game from every perspective...

Quote:
First, the usual stuff...

A/V: Excellent
Cheating: Not even

SS run:

I know the difficulty of this run is great. The randomness, frame perfect punches, and a certain Tyson at the end of all of it makes a run of this game seem next to impossible. I commend the runner for his efforts on this run. I remember him mentioning somewhere that his ultimate goal would be sub 17 on this run. Seems like he just couldn't quite get it there, although its completely understandable. It's also impressive to note that aside from blocked damage from Soda, and an intentional knockdown from Sandman, the runner takes zero damage from anyone. Anyways, the run itself...

Minor Circuit
Glass Joe: I understand the need to continue past this guy even if you don't get a solid 42; there are bigger fish to fry.
Von Kaiser: Same with this guy; 3 seconds on this game's fast clock is not worth resetting for when something out of your control happens.
Piston Honda: Losing 2 seconds isn't too bad so long as you get the next guy...

Major Circuit
Don Flamenco: Oooh, very nice. Frame perfect Don makes this run very much worth finishing.
King Hippo: Oh man, you missed some stuns. He even gave em to you too, but you threw those punches a tad too early Sad
Great Tiger: Well, this is awesome. Having .01 from the new IL makes this a killer fight.
Bald Bull: I still love that first knockdown; it's just too good. Luck is pretty alright for this fight. Could've been better, could've been worse. I think the runner handled this fight pretty well for what he was dealt.

World Circuit
Piston Hondo 2: Very nice fight with a difficult phase 1 ending nailed.
Soda Popinski: I was kind of surprised that this guy was up there for killing runs, following tyson, don, and hippo. But once I saw phase 1 of his run, it all came back to me. This dude loves randomly stalling before ducking for really no reason. There's nothing anyone can do about it but wait. All 3 knockdowns were done in a timely matter regardless of bad luck however.
Bald Bull 2: Pretty excellent I must say.
Don Flamenco 2: What a bastard. Don's trying to get revenge for embarrassing him earlier and boy is he working hard to get it. Despite Don's efforts, sinister1 still takes him out faster than he did in his segmented run.
Mr. Sandman: Beautiful execution. No midgets this time, but aside from that delay the fight is splendid.
Super Macho Man: Holy balls, this fight is blazing fast. All of his phases are improved from the segmented run, with phase 2 standing out the most. He gets way more stars in a riskier fashion than in the segmented run, which is kind of insane really. Props on this fight.

Mike Tyson: I don't care who you are; a round 1 Tyson is impressive if you can do it at all. A round 1 Tyson at the end of a brutal speedrun... is flat out astonishing.

Decision: I know the runner could do better, but at the same time, I know he's done enough. His effort on this game is paralleled by only the very few that are total masters at this game. Weighing it all out, I'm going to accept this run. This run is extremely impressive even with the bad luck here and there. I just hope one of these days he does fulfill his sub-17 goal, just for his own sake. But in the meantime, way to go, sinister1!

IL table:

This will be more brief than the SS comments since these things are all basically a slice of fried gold.

Glass Joe: Star punch perfection
Von Kaiser: This IL is within a second of Brian Picchi's record, so it's still fairly decent.
Piston Honda: Frame perfect? This is already great.
Don Flamenco: Frame perfect Don strikes again!
King Hippo: It's a bummer adelikat's videos weren't up to standards, but sub 38 on King Random is still excellent.
Great Tiger: 47.99... perfect.
Bald Bull: Damn, so close to sub 1 minute. This guy does have dozens of random nonsense to put up with, so it's understandable.
Piston Hondo 2: HAHAHA, I love how the best strategy for the start of phase 1 is the equivalent of doing a hurricane rush at him! Sick time!
Soda Popinski: Solid 50.25 time for this random Vodka drinking boxer.
Bald Bull 2: Solid.
Don Flamenco 2: Strangely, sinister1 lists a time of 1:26.48, yet the file I got is 1:35.82. Are we missing a file, or is the time listed incorrect? I'd accept the 1:35 run for sure, but if there's a faster one, then that needs to go up instead.
Mr. Sandman: The random elements in this fight are rough. A shame that sub 2:20 was missed by a single frame, but this fight doesn't suffer for it.
Super Macho Man: The hyper aggressive strat used makes this a blast to watch.
Mike Tyson: Went for the glory and got some tasty frame perfect punches in. Sub 2:20 on this behemoth!!!

Decision: Nothing stands out as being "bad" or holds back the table in any way. Accept of course!

Quote:
Verifier 2 here again. 2 new submissions were sent in, one being the missing Don 2 I was wondering about, and the other being what I can only assume is adelikat's TAS-matching Hippo fight. That Don 2 fight is even better than before, utilizing a very devious half energy start for Mac so Don will get up with a low refill on phase 3. Very nicely done... the only way to improve this is if you win a couple of lotteries to get some very rare stars paired with sick execution.

One thing I will mention though, is that the King Hippo video only has audio coming out of the right channel. Hopefully the audio can be cloned over to the left channel to fix that. The quality is passable for this one too, although strangely the video will get slightly blurry, then fix itself throughout the video. Also at 0:21, the color of Mac's shorts blends in with his shirt for a moment for some reason. These are no big deal for me, but I thought that I'd mention them. As far as the gameplay goes, it's perfect... literally.

Both videos get an obvious pass in my book.

Quote:
ILs

Minor Circuit
Glass Joe: 42.00
Von Kaiser: 36.61
Piston Honda: 43.82

Major Circuit
Don Flamenco: 14.97
King Hippo: 37.61
Great Tiger: 47.99
Bald Bull: 1:01.97

World Circuit
Piston Honda 2: 52.48
Vodka Drunkenski: 50.25
Bald Bull 2: 1:25.97
Don Flamenco 2: 1:26.48
Mr. Sandman: 2:20.00
SUPER. MACHO. MAN: 50.97

Mike Tyson: 2:19.xx

Overall time: 14:50.12

These fights are all highly impressive. It’s amazing how much luck is required for a lot of these fights that the runner ends up getting. For example, King Hippo throwing the three punches in a row necessary to stun and beat him must have taken forever. The second Don Flamenco may not appear random, but holy crap is it ever. I don’t even need to mention Mike Tyson, but I will anyway because anyone who has ever gone up against him in this game knows how awesome the speedrun of this fight is. I’m not sure everything is optimized as well as it can be. After all, we had an improvement that brought down Great Tiger a whole .01 second faster. But I can assure you, all of these pass with flying colors. My personal favourite fight from this set aside from Tyson is Super Macho Man. It was the combination of skill and luck that really makes this fight shine.

Single Segment
Someone out there managed to do this whole game and not have any fight go into round two or have any unintentional  hits or knockdowns. Someone pursued this game enough so that all 14 fights wouldn’t be screwed up in any major time-losing way. Someone managed to R1 Mike Tyson at the end of a single segment speedrun. There is a lot of randomness in these fights, from the fighters, to their star hits, to their health refills. And hit timing obviously plays a big part too. To have it all come together for a speedrun totalling 17:06.24 is really impressive. Yes, there are a few spots where you can tell that fights didn’t go exactly as planned such as King Hippo and Mike Tyson, but the time lost wasn’t too great compared to what happens in all the other fights that saves it, especially Don Flamenco 1. I tip my hat to this person and accept his speedrun to SDA.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'sinister1' and 'adelikat!'
Thread title:  
Is PJ
Congrats sinister!  I am so pumped about these.  ^_^
Complete. Global. Saturation.
A perfect example of being dedicated to something for a really long time, learning, improving, and having a really great result come out at the end of it all. Congratualtions sinister.
1-Up!
edited to include adelikat, because he supplied the King Hippo IL
Remember your mantra.
New sinister1 run up?

Can't hardly wait. Rock on, runner
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
These runs are so good. This is an update no one should miss! Congrats sinister1! Wink
Sea of Green
Congratulations, sinister1 (and adelikat)! I cannot wait to see these runs! Cheesy
berserker status
Awesome!  I've been waiting for the SS for awhile!  And we get an IL table???  Amazing stuff...
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Thanks to Flip who had to deal with me continually making edits to this submission. Thanks to the verifiers for taking the time to watch and comment.

@verifier 1: The game measures time in the following 7 units: .00, .25, .48, .61, .82, .97, and .99. Unlike Super Punch-Out!! which does go by milliseconds. That is why the same times are coming up repeatedly.

@verifier 2: Sub 17 was the goal but I had to prioritize, and preparing for AGDQ 2012 took precedence over shaving 7 in game seconds (the equivalent of 2 seconds real time) off an already highly optimized run. I am capable of sub 17 but I would have to make several hundred if not over 1k attempts to get it. The reason for wanting sub 17 was because I finally would have bested Matt Turk, the master of MTPO. I have never beaten any of his times, only tied a few. Also regarding the Mr. Sandman IL, I once got a 2:19.97 but was not recording. I will post the picture one day.

@verifier 3: Super Macho Man is my favorite IL also, glad you liked it.

@PJ: <3

@TheQuietMan: Thank you for that comment, I really did put a ton of work into this game and the IL dates show it. First IL was on 9/24/10 and the last on 6/11/11. Keep in mind that I had long since completed the segmented run so it was not like I was learning the game or anything. Not to mention I put in 1,000 attempts on Don Flamenco 2 alone Sad

Thanks to everyone else who commented in here, I am glad to see interest in these runs! I know it will be a while before this hits the front page so there might be spoilers though b/c I have a Youtube channel.

Lastly, if you missed my cameo on the bonus stream check out the 1st and 3rd video here:

Sinister1's Drunk-Out!!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Sounds great sinister.  I'm on the edge of my seat...
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
WARNING: more shamless self-promotion.

I have spoiled a few IL's on Youtube already and will be doing 1 per week for the next 3 months or until the run goes up.

Watch the IL's and please subscribe (ugh sorry, I know. I just have very few subscribers atm).
Professional Second Banana
puwexil clicks subscribe button

Shamelessness indulged!
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Quote from puwexil:

Shamelessness indulged!

Likewise Smiley
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
^ +1

Return the favor...  thumbsup
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from puwexil:

Shamelessness indulged!

hahaha, thanks for indulging everyone! I think I doubled my subscribers within a few hours of that post. I also got to subscribe to all of your channels Smiley
*subscribes*
Congrats sinister! Also congrats on reaching Soda Popinski blindfolded in the marathon bonus, you are the Punch-Out!! master!
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from Arctic_Eagle:
Congrats sinister! Also congrats on reaching Soda Popinski blindfolded in the marathon bonus, you are the Punch-Out!! master!

Thanks! Good to see you around the forums it has been a while, don't be a stranger.