List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MetroidPrimeHunters.html

Zack 'DSGamer3002' Mintzer's any% and 100% runs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Before I launch into the details by segment, let me just say that I have no clue where my copy of this game is, so I can't get into it and grab exact names of enemies and rooms and whatnot. I'll do my best, though. Tongue
Video and audio quality aren't bad at all, considering it's a DS recording. The only gripe I have about the audio is the slight whine of the camera that's always there; this seems to be remedied by watching the run with the volume at about 30%.
No signs of cheating exist in either run.
Also, no deaths are present in these runs.

Any%:
Seg1:
Makes very effective work of the 1st artifact room, including spawn-camping the last 1/3 of the enemies. Tongue
Minor jumping mistake in the 2nd upward shaft.
Kanden fight went just fine. More headshot accuracy could've maybe shaved a few seconds, but it still looks good otherwise.
Another slight jump mistake in the 3rd upward shaft.
No noticable errors in the 1st Octolith fight.
Escape is basically flawless.

Great segment.

Seg2:
Got a little bit lost in the maze, it seems, but recovered quickly enough.
Spire fight was okay. Could've been a few seconds faster in general accuracy.
Octolith #2 looked just a bit sloppy in the first wave, but still definitely acceptable.
Weavel ambushes on the escape. I wonder if perhaps the runner could've beaten him before going through the morph tunnel, possibly saving about 10 seconds here. I'd say so, given the number of missed shots during the fight. Escape looks good otherwise.

Not a bad segment. Could have done with a bit of optimization in the two hunter fights, though.

Seg3:
Nothing much to report here. Solid segment, grabs the Battlehammer and another Artifact and leaves.

Seg4:
Worth mention is that the video quality in this segment looks a bit off, kinda grainy. It doesn't detract much, though; the segment's still watchable.

First guardian fight looks a bit ugly, lots of misses. 2nd as well, just looks like it could've been handled better.
3rd looks a lot better, with more general accuracy in hitting the necessary targets. Gets to ignore those annoying guardians this time, which seem to be infesting the entire planet in this segment.
Nice shortcut in the upward shaft, boosts to the upper level with a bomb jump + midair unroll and jumps up to that boost thinger, whatever it's called. Tongue
Picks up a UA expansion along with the 2nd artifact of the segment, as it's right along the way and doesn't really cost any time to do so.
Octolith #3 looks great up until the 3rd wave, when the runner misses at least a dozen shots. Probably adds 15-20 seconds to the segment.
More guardians during the escape, of course. 4 fights in total, and the runner makes decent work of all of them.

This was definitely a tough segment, kudos to the runner for still making a decent job of it. So many guardian fights made for a lot of room for mistakes, but it's definitely passable still, given the sheer difficulty of the whole segment.

Seg5:
Man, some of the doors in this place take FOREVER to open. Anyways...
Noxus basically stands there and takes hits while trying to hit with charged shots, making it an incredibly easy fight.
Was that a rocket jump? I think it was. Good times. Cheesy
Another shortcut using a double bomb jump up to a missle expansion and the morph tunnel on the ledge past it.
Rocket jumps up to the Judicator (yes I know they're called missiles :P).
Misses a few shots on the purple barriers, but that's to be expected with the Judicator.

Great segment, no real errors to report, and a few good shortcuts to boot.

Seg6:
I'm loving those rocket jumps, and wondering why I never thought to do that myself.
Guardian fight goes well, considering the Judicator was used; only misses a few shots.
Basically pwns the lava monster thing in the Magmaul room ala Judicator.
Nice break in the Magmaul room, scans the trigger from below the barrier, though it takes several bounces to get it entirely.

Another great segment. Skillful execution, more shortcuts, and no real mistakes.

Seg7:
Great Octolith #4 fight, even with missing a few shots in the 3rd wave. Judicator can be tough to be accurate with.
Shock Coil > Trace
Ice monster thing fight could've been better; he misses several Magmaul shots. Imperialist get.
Guardian fight after artifact goes rather well.
Another nifty rocket jump to get over to the 2nd artifact rounds out the segment.

Still looking good, no glaring mistakes aside from the usual missed shots.

Seg8:
Critical misses with charged Judicator shots make the guardian fight in the barrier maze room look rather sloppy.
Falls off the ledge in the platform ride room on the way back out.
Spends a lot of time shooting at red eyes during the Octolith #5 fight; this could definitely do with some optimization.
Flawless escape.

This segment could've been done better. Critical mistakes like falling off the ledge and mediocre fights like those shouldn't be so easily accepted.

Seg9:
Imperialist makes short work of Sylux's face. Tongue
Super missile + Guardian = Pain.
Octolith #6 fight looks WAY better than #5. That's how those fights should go, really.
Momentarily forgets wich way to go in the morph room, but otherwise flawless escape.

Great segment. All fights should look this well executed.

Seg10:
Guardian fight is acceptable. Switches to Magmaul after missing more with the Judicator than hitting. The lucky bounce on the last Guardian got a chuckle out of me.
Great work with the vertical climb, finishes with just over half the clock to go.
Double bomb-jump + midair unrolls back up to the artifact after opening the barrier, saving some definite time.
Octolith #7 fight goes great. Ironically the hardest of the four looks to have the best accuracy. Tongue
Excellent escape. Don't blink or you'll miss the Spire fight. Wink

Segment starts off okayish with the Guardian fight, and gets better as it continues.

Seg11:
Quality's a bit grainy in this one too.
Okay, so, this segment caught me off-guard. At first I wasn't sure what was going on, until I watched it over again. It's a very clever shortcut, and probably takes quite a bit of luck to pull off.
Octolith #8 makes for a decent fight.
Yay for ignoring enemies during the escape. Too bad they won't all allow it. Runner quickly dispatches both hunters.
Trek back post-"escape" is uneventful.

Excellent segment. Shortcuts like these are the kind I really like to see.

Seg12:
Final boss is very well done. Minimal missing, destroys it in three waves. Not much else to say, it's just a solid fight.

Completes with 16%, 1:16:33 in-game time.

100%
Seg1:
Kanden fight was a bit meh, but I guess that's to be expected, given how much he moves around.
1st Octolith went well, as did the escape

Solid segment. Nothing really special to report.

Seg2:
Dispatches Spire nicely, picking up the Missile expansion during the fight.
Completely owns the Octolith #2 fight in record time.
Weavel ambush during the scape could have been a lot better. Runner just about beat him before getting through the tunnel, but didn't, and spends a lot of time defeating him afterward.

This segment went well up until the Weavel fight, where it really fell apart. I personally wouldn't have accepted this segment.

Seg3:
Very much like in the any% run, nothing too much to report here. Picks up the Battlehammer and a couple expansions and leaves.

Solid segment, no mistakes.

Seg4:
Man, Noxus has such a pushover of an AI here. Tongue
More rocket jumps! Cheesy (Yeah, I can't get over how much I love seeing those. :P)
And Samus...climbs the wall there? I'm not sure how that's pulled off, but it definitely serves as a decent shortcut.

Great segment. Several significant shortcuts make short work of it.

Seg5:
All those extra missiles make the guardian fights look a lot easier than in the any% run, for sure.
Spire and Weavel both ambush on the escape, each getting served a prompt beating.

The whole segment looks good. It's pretty average, no real noticable shortcuts or mistakes, but it's solidly done.

Seg6:
Remember the guardian fight in the big open room in the any% run? Well, this time around goes a lot better; runner nails all the critical charged shots for a quick, smooth battle.
Also pulls off the trick with scanning the trigger from beneath the barrier much faster; only takes two bounces to get it.

Excellent segment. Very smooth and well executed.

Seg7:
Not a bad Octolith fight here. Does a lot better accuracy-wise than other 3rd phases in the runs.
Makes a good run of the escape, despite numerous things to collect and the ambush guardian fights.

Seg8:
Ick, it's like the any% run all over again. Guardian fight in the barrier maze room is sloppy, and falls off the ledge on the return. Maybe I'm being overly critical here, but I still see a lot of room for improvement. Even the Octolith fight could stand to be redone.

Again, I would not have personally accepted this segment. It needs a lot more work before it's up to the quality of the rest of the run.

Seg9:
Sylux fight went excellently well. Only missed the first shot on him.
Octolith fight was great, as was the escape.

Solid segment, well executed fights.

Seg10:
Guardian fight after the ambush went a fair bit better this time around.
Good work in the timed climb again, only about a second slower than the any%.
Octolith fight could've been a bit better, got frozen a couple times and took forever on the 3rd phase, but still passable.

Good segment overall.

Seg11:
Pulls off that insane shortcut again in the morph tunnel. Really good stuff there.
Good Octolith fight. The opening 15 seconds were amazingly perfect. Too bad it didn't continue that way. Tongue
Man, double ambush right before the artifact room. Runner makes quick work of Weavel, and I'm pretty sure thought that the fight was done, but only turned around to defeat Kanden when the door didn't open. Tongue I wouldn't call this a mistake, to be honest.

Another good, solid segment.

Seg12:
Both boss fights go very well. No real problems with either to report.

Overall, another excellent run.

Finishes with 25%, 1:22:57 in-game time.

Decision: Honestly, and I think I'm still being rather critical here, I do have qualms about these runs. Segment 8 for both would be my main reason for rejecting. I think that if I'd watched just one of these runs, I'd be less likely to accept. Seeing similar issues in both, though, makes me believe that there's only so much the runner could do here. I vote accept for both of these.

Quote:
Both of these runs had very good video quality and good audio quality for DS, although you could hear the buttons being pressed, although I did not find this an ongoing problem.

On the runs there was no cheating or statistical changes, and there were very few mistakes or points of exceptional time loss, but there is parts on both 100% and the any runs where the runner has to hit a single moving target with specific weapons. the runner misses a few times, and looses about 5 seconds on each run, but I think this is a random even and could only be improved upon by pure luck.

Once again I thank you for letting me help and if I have missed anything please tell me.

Quote:
I totally just noticed that the menu screen is an up close view of Samus’s crotch region. I thought I would have noticed that way before this. Moving right along…

100%

Quality (Capture)
Is the method of sound recording picking up background noise? When he skips a cutscene in the middle of the first segment, it sounds like he’s eating chips and takes a deep sigh. There is also some clicking during the rolling part in segment 2. In segment 5, you can hear him pressing the buttons when he’s jumping near 2:10-2:30. Whatever though.
In Segment 8 of the 100%, there seems to be a high pitch ringing noise that is constant through out the whole thing.

All the bouncing that happened in the last run of this game is totally gone.

Quality (Gameplay)
Segment 1
Jumps behind a spawn point of Psychobits and wastes them as they comes out.
Screws up while ballin’ down the hall when he slips under a platform and has to back up to get back over it.
Other than that, he also takes out both bosses pretty quickly. There’s not a whole lot out of the norm I can note.

Segment 2
Uses some hax to boost through a floor.
The battle with the three bosses go well all around.
The only obvious mistake is where he doesn’t quite get up to the platform with a jump near the end and has to do it again. It’s just a hop though.

Segment 3
Nothing out of the ordinary happens here, it’s the usual Metroid fetch quest.

Segment 4
Some sweet hax jumps are used.
Oh man, the part where he needs to shoot the blue thing on the force field to deactivate it doesn’t go well at all. He misses a total of seven shots, and four of these were taken right in front of it. It’s an ugly 5 second loss.
The boss battle before hand went so well that I think they cancel each other out. There are so many consistent headshots that I think FPS Doug would be jealous.

Segment 5
More sweet hax jumps are used.
Misses a rising platform because of a face sucker thing.
The other 12 minutes are problem-free.

Segment 6
Bomb jumps a fence in the lava.
Another short one, so aside from a potentially better battle near the middle with those blue things, there’s not much else to improve upon.

Segment 7
The only thing I can think of to improve this is to make the fight against the blue things go faster.

Segment 8
Missing a fair number of shots on the blue guys is the only big problem that happens.

Segment 9
Screws up on the totem pole boss when he starts shooting some of the wrong spots. At least 6 seconds are lost. The Sylux battle near the start makes up for it though.

Segment 10
Misses a few shots on the blue guys, but that’s to be expected by now. I think he actually did an alright job at taking them out. Since there’s three of them and the runner is making his way towards the area he needs to go while battling them, I’ll let it slide. Would have been faster in morph ball form, but still.
Loses three seconds when the shot he fires fails to kill the boss in his final form. He becomes invincible just as the shot hits and does the lunge attack.

Segment 11
I love that sequence break so much.
Loses 5 seconds when he goes the wrong way and has to go back during the three force field part.
Nice way of handing the blue guy in the room.
Though the last one might look kind of sloppy, he’s beating it up on his way to the exit, and doesn’t need to turn back to get it. Keep an eye on the health bar and you’ll see.

Segment 12
The final boss goes great.

Timing
The timer at the end says 1:22.

Importance
Route planning is obviously as good as it can get. I may not have said much else, but that’s mostly because there’s not much else to say in way of mistakes. He performs a bunch of sequence breaks, and manages to have a number of good battles. The only thing that needs work is hitting those blue things consistently. Given that their movement is so erratic all the time, I think only two or three seconds can be saved for each fight, since only that amount of shots is usually missed. It’s still something to practice though. There are no rejection worthy mistakes here to me, especially since they’re spread over segments that last anywhere from three to eleven minutes. Let’s accept it.

Any%

Quality (Capture)
The clicking noises are not as bad during this one.

Quality (Gameplay)
Segment 1
Uses the same tactic against the Psychobits as before. The whole fight looks slightly smoother here too.
Misses a jump in the blue room, costing him 4 seconds when he has to climb back up.
Screws up another jump (backwards this time) in a room after the boss fight, costing him 2 seconds.
The entire escape sequence goes pretty much flawlessly.

Segment 2
Hax jumps through the floor again.
That eye boss gets taken out in record time.
Is it possible to kill that last guy in the first room with the orange flooring before he leaves? I think it is. It looks seemingly random if he leaves or not, but I think he can be manipulated in staying. I don’t think it would make that much of a difference, because they head towards the exit anyway, so it’s not like it forces him to backtrack.

Segment 3
Nothing to say about this one at all really, because there’s only one real enemy battle throughout the whole thing and it goes fine.

Segment 4
Sequence breaks the game by using some light tubes and bombs again.
Doesn’t miss the platform this time due to the facesuckers.
The only real thing that stands out in way of improvement is to blast those blue guys slightly more efficiently in the large rooms near the end. I like the use of the bombs and small spaces as a trap though.

Segment 5
The boss battle is, again, fantastic. Even better than the first actually.
Everything else is pretty much flawless.

Segment 6
A great hax jump is used at the start of the segment to skip a whole section.
Good job at dealing with the blue guys this time.
Could have used less jumps when scanning the panel through the forcefield, as he did in his 100% run.

Segment 7
The first boss goes really well because the runner hits all but a few shots, and they were mostly for the smaller worm things in the wall.
Everything else goes well for a segment in which the rest is boss battles and nothing but having to shoot the many monsters to open doors. Maybe a faster blue guy battle would have helped, but I think everything went fine.

Segment 8
I think the blue guy fight could have been finished off at least 3-5 seconds faster. The runner lets one get way too far away and continues to blast it from afar.

Segment 9
Cylux goes down extremely quickly thanks to quick and killer aiming.
Not much else to say really, the rest is pretty dang fast.

Segment 10
The blue guys went a lot better in the 100% run, especially the last one that decides to run away and forces the runner to try to shoot explosives at him from above.
Man, there is way too much down time during this boss. It’s like, rollin’ rollin’ rollin’, rollin’ rollin’ rollin’, rawhide! If only Samus could actually find more useful weapons, like a giant nutcracker, this fight would be so much faster. Both fights have that point where he’s one hit away from killing the boss at the end and it still does the invincible lunge attack. I’m pretty sure this is set into the game, in the way that you can’t finish him off in any less than 2 waves of that attack on the final third of remaining health.

Segment 11
The usual ass kicking sequence break opens this one.
The boss and escape also go very, very well. He even kills the two hunters that appear with light speed.

Segment 12
This battle actually seems to go faster than the one in the 100% run, but that may just be me. I didn’t even spot any mistakes.

Timing
The timer at the end reads 1:16.

Importance
This one beats the run up there by four minutes, according to the timer. It looks like these will be timed differently anyway. This one is a lot better in many departments, and I’ve already stated most of the positive aspects in my summary above. These segments are a lot more polished than the ones from the 100% run, and the only two really big mistakes that stand out to me are the Guardian battle (Yes, I just remembered their names now) in Segment 8 and the falls in Segment 1. There are some things which I know could have gone better due to luck manipulation, but it seems that most of them are balanced out by other things that happen that require skill instead. Definitely an accept for this.

Decision: Accept

Reason: The any% run is an improvement, and the 100% run is well-planned and doesn't have any big mistakes.
Thread title:  
DS Dictator
And now there are 3 new DS records!

I saw them from Youtube and both runs were impressive.
@All verifiers: Blame nate for encoding the audio this way. Tongue I recorded the audio two ways at the same time: over the air and directly with an audio headphone jack thingy that Audacity records through. From what I read about how nate encoded the audio for the runs, he used both the over the air and the direct audio for some reason. I don't know why, and I haven't heard the result yet, but yeah...

@Verifier 1: Regarding Segment 8, according to Paraxade it's not worth it to try and stay on the ledge while in the "platform room" and that it's probably faster to drop down anyway due to being able to maneuver better. For the 100% run it obviously saves time because of the UA expansion, though I still personally think it'd probably be better to push the luck of staying on the ledge for the any% run. About the guardians in that one room, I hate them all. This is right up there on my "least favorite segments" list and it's particularly because of these guardians. They're always moving everywhere and aiming is already difficult from the recording setup I have to deal with because Nintendo is too lazy to make a capture device for the DS.  Sad

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. I'll definitely take it into consideration if I ever do another 100% run. (I already plan on doing another any% run over the summer some time, and will take advice into consideration for that too. Tongue )
v copies had over the air audio only, final copies have directly recorded audio only. using them both was just to help me establish sync.
Quote from nate:
v copies had over the air audio only, final copies have directly recorded audio only. using them both was just to help me establish sync.

Oh in that case there shouldn't be a problem. I was kinda wondering why you'd put over-the-air in a final copy of the run, didn't know there were special copies for verifiers. lol

If I didn't say so enough, thanks for encoding both runs. Smiley
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I haven't watched it yet, but what's the requirement for a 100% run?
Does it means the boos has to be defeated the second way too (i.e. doing the color code)?
DS Dictator
The true 100% mainly includes:

* All ammo types collected (Missle refills, Health refills)
* Every single important scan (Facts, Bosses, Enemies)
* Every ammo upgrade collected (Energy Tanks, Missle Expansions, UA Expansions)
* All of the hunters's weapons collected + final weapon too (Magmaul, Shock Coil, Judicator, and 4 others)
* The true ending.

This SDA run only do these tasks.

Quote:
* Every ammo upgrade collected (Energy Tanks, Missle Expansions, UA Expansions)
* All of the hunters's weapons collected + final weapon too (Magmaul, Shock Coil, Judicator, and 4 others)
* The true ending.

This is because, the first 2 tasks are very untraditional in a Metroid speed run like Metroid Prime 1-3 (there isn't a combined 100% Scans and 100% items run on SDA but I'm sure there was a route document I saw in the M2K2 forums).
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Oh, crap, I forgot to make a note on the page about 100% requirements, doh.
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
i don't know where to post this but here it goes.

i downloaded the torrent of the run (HQ) and at segment 10, it ends abruptly at 9:20. is that supposed to end like that? (note: i never beat the game so i don't know what's normal in the game)
Quote from mikwuyma:
Oh, crap, I forgot to make a note on the page about 100% requirements, doh.

Yeah, I bet some people are like "Wait why isn't he scanning anything...?"  Cheesy You can just edit it into the page, right?

Also, about the problem above regarding segment 10, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't end at 9:20 since IIRC that segment is around 9:50. I'm downloading a copy now and I'll check it out to see if it was just a downloading problem or if the file got messed up.

EDIT: Yeah, I got the same problem. x_x
oops! this is what i get for not watching the final encodes. mq should be fixed on dl now. going to do the rest in the morning.
Pudding%
Segment 11 MQ at about 3:33, the video freezes up completely for me. The audio keeps playing, but the video is frozen looking at a door.
I tried using my imagination to substitute the video, but didn't get a result I was satisfied with  Wink
fixed seg 10 everywhere ... working on mq seg 11 now. that must have been when i ran out of disk space. i thought i caught all of them but i guess not. going to check every single file now.
found one other bad file - 100% lq part 10. fixed.