Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2009-05-23 10:07:23 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
http://speeddemosarchive.com/MetroidPrime.html

Stefan 'Mister Shin' Van Dijke's single-segment and 22% run

Quote:
22% new last 4 segments :
Much better overall.
in segment 19 there is a video problem that is a little distracting from about 2 min on. Hopefully its just a verification copy encode error. There is also a few places where the sound overpeaks and makes the crackly noise. It is most easily noticed on the last segment. It could also just be my old computer speakers so if other verifiers don't say anything it might just be a problem on my end. Should be fairly easy to fix the sound issue.
Thumbs up again from me.

single segment 1:16 :
Quite enjoyable to watch. Has the same sound issue i mentioned above.
Really like the swap of the thardus damage boost with the IS bug. It was a good choice but may put this run in a different category than zoids run. i don't know exactly how thats decided. If it were up to me i would have it replace zoids since faster is faster.

quick explanation of the IS bug just in case it is needed.
The IS bug or Infinite Speed is a bug where samus lodges herself in between two objects that are just the right distance apart. It allows her to morph and start spinning in a way that the speed just keeps building up until the outer shell of the morph ball disappears. When in this state boosting into stuff gives the ability to grab items in any of the loaded rooms but not all items, it also makes you hit the enemies in those loaded rooms. No one really knows why some items can be grabbed and some can not. Stefan uses it to grab the artifact of sun and a missile expansion that you would normally need the plasma beam to get both.

Oh and before i forget. Two thumbs up from me for the single segment. It had a very very lucky metroid prime 2nd form in my opinion and is the only reason i think he beat out zoid for that extra minute.

Congrats Stefan!! Its been a pleasure watching your runs all these years. Best wishes to your future endeavors being as great as your speed runs!
craztad

Quote:
I, first of all want to thank the speedrunner for Re-doing the last 4 segments, this shows me the Speedrunner is very dedicated.

All the last 3 segments were really good, and a really good Ridley fight too.

But also, i see that there is a huge improvement in the Metroid Prime fight. And also i like that you nearlly died in both fights (comparing to the fight you haved before).

Here is a little tip i have to give you, when you can't see MP in Normal and X-Ray Visors, and you know where he is, instead of just standing in the Phazon Pool, you can L-lock and get in and get out of the Phazon Pool, so you can give him more damage, and aswell a more durable Phazon Pool.

Veredict: Accept

Quote:
First off all, i want to congratulate the Speedrunner for this epic speedrun.

Some mistakes here and there, but not big deal, since Speedrunning this game is really hard (in my oppinion).

Also, i like to see that you used the Flicker Ball, that was nice.

And good Redley and Metroid Prime fights, aswell.

Veredict: Accept

Also, why do you Pause too much between the game?
Just asking.

Quote:
I have verified the Metroid Prime material.

The four new segments to the low% run should obviously be accepted, since I recommended to accept the run before these segments were improved. Audio/video is good.

The single-segment PAL run is great! Beating one of Zoid's times is no easy feat, and there is lots to be impressed by in this run. There are some noticeable places where it could be faster, but these are almost always occasions where he fails to perform a difficult trick on the first try. This is acceptable and he never struggles too long with one trick. The boss fights are all really good too.

The audio/video is good. The audio crackles in a few places, usually when there are explosions or creatures roaring (most notable during the Parasite Queen's death). This isn't a big deal but it is present. Overall I would recommend to accept this run.

Quote:
I can be pretty short about this one.

When I started watching the run the beginning felt a bit sloppy, but later on the run got much much better. I was actually pretty impressed with most of it (Sure there are some parts where it goes a bit bad) but overall the execution is quite nice. Hell, there are even parts where he performs better than in his Low% segmented run...

So on behalf of the gameplay I accept the run. BUT...

At the first 2 boss battles there's a cracking sound just like in his last segment of his Low% segmented run. Though this isn't all too bad, minor annoyance to listen to.
But the main issue happens at 00:55, from 00:55 and onwards during the rest of the run there's only audio on the right channel

So I'm afraid I need to reject the run because of that, unless it can get fixed somehow. (Mike's note: nate can probably double the audio)

Verdict: Accept

Reason: It's Metroid Prime + Stefan, what more needs to be said?
Thread title:  
Who doesn't love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Thanks for verifying again guys. Sorry for the pauses, I tell people around me that I'm working on a run and that they have to leave me alone. But then the doorbell rings, phones go off and people ask questions while I'm in the middle of the run :(. Some pauses are to hold the c stick up for rapid fire missles. Just put a piece of paper under the c stick so its up without wasting a finger on it. I hope this is not concidered cheating ;D. I worked on the video quality also, too bad the sound sucked so much during the run. Its not that bad though and I hope nate has fixed this. The sound problem is fixed for future captures, a bit too late though.
piece of paper under the c-stick, haha, i always just pause and reset the controller with the c-stick down so when i let it go it is permanently held up until i pause and reset it to normal again. good stuff
Who doesn't love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Now that both my runs are up I would like to share the music video's that I have made for them:

Low % 1:26 (it says 1:28, thats from the first time I finished the last segment):

Single segment 1:16:

Enjoy the video's and the speedruns Smiley