Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MetroidPrime2.html

Charles Griffin's single-segment run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: Okay, so I just watched Miles' 1:27
Verifier: I have to say it's very impressive that he managed to squeeze all this out of the game. The only huge timesaver I can see is the Grand Abyss dash/rolljump grapple skip and I somehow doubt he has anywhere near enough sanity or patience to pull that off in a single segment.
me: isn't that a one time try only?
Verifier: Yeah it is
Verifier: It saves about 3-4 minutes if he gets it
Verifier: But if he doesn't then it's a run ender
Verifier: and the trick is insanely difficult in the first place
Verifier: so I don't blame him for skipping it
Verifier: he completely demolished all the bosses with the exception of DS3, but that's fair because that fight is so dependant on screw attack luck
Verifier: Adult Chykka fight was particularly impressive, I had no idea you could bug the first phase of the fight out like that
Verifier: and single SA killing EI3 is just wow
Verifier: Definite accept

Quote:
It's true, "secret worlds" shouldn't be a separate category...
In fact, the current "secret worlds" run the most impressive metroid prime 2 run in my opinion.

Before I verified the run, I wanted to see the "non-secret worlds" run again, in order to be able to compare, and even if it's not the quicker way to clear the game, I still being amazed... I've no objection as regards keeping it on speeddemosarchive.
I'm glad to see an "any %" run using secret worlds.

Let's talk about the verification :

Video/Audio : OK

Cheating : I didn't know the "missile bug" at the beginning, and i didn't know most of the glitches, but I don't want to start a new game just to verify. I think that everything is legit.

Gameplay : ...
                  ... OH MY GOD !!!

It has at least a segmented run gameplay quality... There are some mistakes, and the worst of them -in the fortress, before picking up the screw attack- is forgivable. And... the fight against the emperor is better than every other one on SDA !!

I just noticed that the player took an useless energy tank, but it's forgivable too, avoiding quadraxis without the dark suit would have been risky otherwise (only 150 health points left)

The overall is well thought, audacious, tricky, glitchy... Runner -I don't know who you are-, would you marry me ? just kidding Wink

ACCEPT !

Quote:
i watched a version miles uploaded at m2k2.  if necessary i can watch your version too to make sure the quality didn't break or something.

comments:

running this game is not an easy thing to do.  it's tough to imagine how much worse it is to run it in a single sitting.  frankly, it's amazing how simple everything looks in this run, because much of it is very difficult.  i guess that just speaks to how good this run actually is.

naturally, there are a few "low" points.  getting to and from the spinners in vault took a few tries (getting to them is pretty difficult though).  the bsj to enter the secret world for the annihilator skip also took a couple tries.  sacred path and entering the secret world after snatching sanctuary's energy had slight hiccups.  finally, like usual, dark samus was a jerk and didn't accept her death quietly.  while that last one did cost significant time (probably around a minute), it is literally the last thing in the run that can possibly go wrong, and is very tricky to do well at all.  combining everything else i mentioned probably totals another 20 seconds.  in a single segment of a very difficult game, 80 seconds is peanuts.

beyond those (and i admit that some of them are pushing it), the rest of the run is incredibly consistent.  the route in particular is very well thought out.  i really liked the decision to ignore the main entrance to sanctuary.  both the chykka strategy and execution (both forms) were awesome, as was the spider guardian fight (phase 3 was sick).  watch station/access were both done in one try.  the annihilator skip wallcrawl went incredibly fast, with miles laughing in the face of those aether jumps.  the dvd change after getting the light suit was very smooth, i couldn't even tell where the transition was.  the bsj atop the halfpipe in agon, and glitching through the gate afterward, are both very high pressure tricks and went flawlessly.  finally, the emperor ing fight goes so fast that it barely even exists. 

it's only a matter of time before the echoes page is monopolized.  easy accept.

Quote:
this looked like a pretty good run overall. most of the major tricks are pulled off in 1 try and there's a fair bit of very daring tricks all over the run. there was some time lost from a few tricks missed on the first try and errors like getting hit by stuff or bosses being dicks but i'd say that's about ~1 or 1.5 minutes lost across 2 hours of gameplay and that's a pretty good ratio. the very last boss could have been faster but that one requires some luck. at least the fight was decent and the SA did some damage and the previous boss was aced in 1 cycle.
the video and audio quality is very good and i didn't see any cheating anywhere. everything was done within the game's possibilities, including the crazy OoB traveling which is at one point in a spot that could kill the run if you get stuck in a wall (i saw that once in a previous failed attempt on a stream)

There was another verifier who responded, but he just said the run was great and he really didn't have anything to say otherwise, which is why he requested his response withheld.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Yet another impressive Prime run, except this time it's single-segment.
Thread title:  
Screw Dark Samus.

And hey, this is a pretty decent improvement from my last run. Cheesy

Quote from Verifier 1:
Verifier: I have to say it's very impressive that he managed to squeeze all this out of the game. The only huge timesaver I can see is the Grand Abyss dash/rolljump grapple skip and I somehow doubt he has anywhere near enough sanity or patience to pull that off in a single segment.

I wouldn't rule it out for the future. Before completing this run, I'd done it a total of 1 time; since this, I've pulled it off an additional 36. >_> Thing is, A. it'd be a bit harder when under the pressure of being an hour into a run, and B. it's not just a matter of pulling it off in a run, it's pulling it off in a good run. Don't expect to see a run with it for a while.

Quote from Verifier 2:
There are some mistakes, and the worst of them -in the fortress, before picking up the screw attack- is forgivable.

Quote from Verifier 3:
getting to and from the spinners in vault took a few tries (getting to them is pretty difficult though).

Yeah... You can either dash (which is faster) or roll jump to the first spinner, and I used the roll jump because "I found it more consistent". Hahaha... ha...

And that's the last time I ever attempt to dash off a Rezbit.

Quote from Verifier 2:
I just noticed that the player took an useless energy tank, but it's forgivable too, avoiding quadraxis without the dark suit would have been risky otherwise (only 150 health points left)

While it's useless in the sense that I don't drop below 100 energy, energy tanks also give me a free heal; I'm somewhat low before Chykka (admittedly I'm usually lower than that), and the one in Watch Station Access is necessary to heal before the Annihilator Skip wallcrawl. Maybe the one before Chykka could be cut, though it seems a bit risky.

Quote from Verifier 3:
the bsj to enter the secret world for the annihilator skip also took a couple tries.

That was just idiotic. :\ Watching it back, it's blatantly obvious that I was too far away from the wall; I'm not sure how I managed to screw up here so badly. Under pressure, I guess...?

Quote from Verifier 3:
sacred path

At least I got the dash first try. <_<

Quote from Verifier 3:
and entering the secret world after snatching sanctuary's energy had slight hiccups.

I only failed it once, which is pretty much standard for it.

Quote from Verifier 3:
the bsj atop the halfpipe in agon, and glitching through the gate afterward, are both very high pressure tricks and went flawlessly.

Glitching through the gate is actually really really easy, now that I've found a consistent method for it.

Quote from Verifier 4:
everything was done within the game's possibilities, including the crazy OoB traveling which is at one point in a spot that could kill the run if you get stuck in a wall (i saw that once in a previous failed attempt on a stream)

Don't remind me. Sad

Quote from Verifier 5:
[response]

[reply]
#Casual
Alright, CG .. Miles!  Now impress us some more with that 14% you promised!
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
i can't wait to see this in HQ.
guffaw
well played, miles.
too bad the route is already way outdated lol
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
at least the new glitch came well after the run was done. otherwise, we wouldn't have a new run since the 14% run in progress got insta-death.
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2010-10-19 01:51:44 pm
Master-88
Is 7% run category OOB?

I guess its would be because new glitch keeping items save a lot time.

Yeah i agree Biospark. Miles are actually did new run in 1h 12 minutes. I see he are posted new time in cyberscore site. 
Thats just main reason why i am really against secret worlds, because its easy find better routes. I guess game can be sub hour in future.
Quote from MASTER-88:
Thats just main reason why i am really against secret worlds, because its easy find better routes.

It's only a single trick that's dropped the time by so much. It's not like a lot of new discoveries with SWs have lowered the time. If, theoretically, a way to avoid losing your items was found without going out of bounds, would you be fine with that?

And the main trick behind avoiding the item loss is Infinite Speed, but anyway. <_<
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
That was an excellent run. I can tell that you put a lot of care into optimizing it, from the tricks to just moving around. The boss fights were great too; all the bosses except the final Dark Samus went down quickly. I look forward to a run using the new trick to skip losing items, whoever does it.
Edit history:
Hariyama465: 2010-10-22 10:50:06 pm
Yeah, honestly, I have to completely and wholeheartedly agree with Manocheese and MD9. It was an incredible run.

Like, everything at first was the same as I had already seen, then you did the bomb jump to get ammo upgrade and my eyes popped wide open and I was like "okay, now it's getting interesting".

And from there, it never let go. If I hadn't known any better It'd feel like I was watching a segmented run, amazing quality gameplay as well as low amount of mistakes. Final Dark Samus and Screw Attack stick out in my mind as the trouble areas, but seriously it was a single segment run and everything else was really optimized.

Though, you have to wonder if avoiding losing your items will shave a full 27 minutes off of this game. I have no doubts in my mind that it would shave off a huge amount of time, but 27 minutes is quite a bit. Now, I haven't speedran MP2Echoes myself, so I don't know. What do you guys think?

In any case being able to avoid losing your items means we're definitely getting an improvement on this run. I just hope, with what I've seen, that Mr. Griffin is the one that delivers it to us.
n0gga
when you going to make the infinitive speed glitch in your next run it will be better, when you get the early power bomb container at the beginning with that trick you can skip many fights that safes a bit time too,but the early power bomb glitch is really hard to do. i think you´ll get it at the first time when you train him a bit...
my safe time in the great temple was 8 minutes but i think 6minutes is the best possible time.

and your 1:27 is really amazing miles i have to say that is the best run i´ve ever seen but i think it where be better when you make your future runs not in single segment on those big games im sure you lost a few minutes in your 1:27 run.

and i found a few new insane hard little time safers.

there is a bomb jump trick which make it possible to jump a bit higher (of course i dont mean the tripple jump xD)
you have to put a bomb on the ground and a double-bomb in the air than press x and samus is flowing higher than with tripple bomb-jump maybe you already know this trick

sorry 4 my bad english,but im from germany Grin