List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MetroidPrime2.html

Charles Griffin's single-segment 100% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I'll say two things before even starting to watch this video.

1. Verdict: Accept

2. It's about damn time.

I'd like to state on the record that I really really like Prime 2 above the others, and that it's the only one of the trilogy that I still own. Smiley

Video: A bit fuzzy, but yeah, LQ verification copy, so I've no room to complain.
Audio: No complaints here either.

Cheating: No signs evident.

Gameplay/Breakdown:

4:40 - The first really interesting point of the run. The first missile launcher can be picked up twice by jumping to the ledge above it, moving around the trigger for the cutscene, grabbing it once, then triggering the cutscene and grabbing it again. Yes, this does count for the percentage twice, and starts Samus off with 10 missiles, which has obvious potential for hastening the early parts of the run.

10:10 - Scan jump. Smiley

14:15 - No need for dealing with all the shenanigans here. Just jump across, wall ride, bomb the thinger, etc.

15:30 - Here's a neat trick. The Jump Guardian can be damaged before the fight is initiated, as is evidenced by the fact that it starts the fight with only a sliver of its health bar remaining. The main advantage in this is that it's holding completely still until the fight is actually initiated, making it a very easy target to whittle down.

18:40 - Sadly, getting ammo expansions early doesn't unlock the beams.

22:40 - Damage boost. Smiley

23:40 - Dark Samus' AI can be manipulated somewhat here. During her second phase, firing missiles will force her to deflect them, which holds her in place for a few seconds. This keeps her much less mobile and easier to keep a lock on and take down faster.

25:40 - Necessary energy replenish here. These early dark world sections are very perilous.

30:35 - And now for some out of bounds action, with added rhythmic shooting entertainment...

31:00 - ...into the early Power Bomb, our first major sequence break.

35:00 - Of course, this allows for easy collection of more expansions. Place your bets now on how many Samus will have before she kills the Guardian. Wink

38:10 - Here's another cool trick. A bit hard to explain, but uses some physics abuse to jump to the upper lock platform, allowing Samus to unlock the center column without having to visit any of the outer rooms.

39:40 - And yes, we're skipping the Alpha Blogg fight. Bomb jumps. Smiley

43:00 - Morphing, unmorphing, and waiting for doors while standing in light zones is crucial in this section while running to the portal. Ends up getting through with only 27 energy remaining.

47:10 - Don't blink, you might miss the Boost Guardian fight. Turns out it's exceptionally weak to Power Bombs. Smiley

48:10 - Two more tricks, one's a bomb jump to get over the edge of the cage, and the other is a scan jump to get to the far door without having to hassle with the bridge.

50:00 - Impressively fast Chykka fight.

55:30 - More spiffy out of bounds action, grabbing a missile expansion in the process.

1:03:30 - Another cool trick, this time jumping off the enemy's own head to skip the fight with it.

1:05:20 - Don't ask me what happened there. Chalk it up to more physics abuse, allowing Samus to skip over that wall where the Spider Ball would normally be required.

1:06:30 - And now for some blatant programming abuse. Jumping far enough across this room before dropping into the void below will spawn Samus on the other side of it, which would normally require the Screw Attack to cross.

1:15:00 - Even though Samus just got the Spider Ball, it's proven that it's still not necessary for some of its puzzles. Smiley

1:16:30 - Heading out of bounds for just a bit, this time to skip an Echo door to get to Quadraxis before even having the Echo Visor.

1:18:30 - Turns out the Echo Visor isn't really needed for this fight. Use of manual aiming and Screw Attacks makes up for the lack of it.

1:28:50 - Yep. Samus grabbed that Missile expansion through a wall.

1:33:00 - That's right, the Light Suit is obtained before the Dark Suit.

1:36:40 - Power Bomb expansion Guardian, more accurately. It'd be ironic if you could somehow kill it with its own weapon.

1:42:55 - Even though we've come a long way since the original game, frozen enemies still make great platforms.

1:49:40 - Damn critters, costing us precious seconds. We're on a speedy mission here!

2:02:25 - I'd call this the first real major mistake of the run. Bit of tricky jumping to grab this Missile expansion without having to flip back and forth between the worlds, and hits a bit too low on the first attempt. Loses about 10 seconds here. Given how great this run has been so far, and how long into an SS run this is, it's easily overlookable.

2:05:10 - Yet another cool trick. Saves a few seconds by grabbing the Dark Beam combo weapon (whatever it's called, I forget) in a way that allows him to skip the text following such, likely due to the fact that Samus is in midair, and morphs before hitting the ground again.

2:19:40 - The Seeker Launcher is crap, really. It's completely random as to whether all 5 will actually hit their targets, so don't think there's any fault of the runner in these.

2:23:00 - Samus clearly has no time for silly puzzle shenanigans either.

2:23:25 - 100% Smiley

2:24:30 - 101% Cheesy

2:27:30 - Screw Attack wins again!

Summary: Simply put, this is a fantastic run, almost completely devoid of mistakes, and the ones that are there are very few in number, with only one real glaring time loss. He's worked hard on this run for quite some time now, and I'm glad to have been able to verify the final product of all that effort.

Verdict: Accept

Quote:
Video and audio are both fine. I didn't see any signs of cheating, but I point out anything which looked unusual to me in comments.

The comments below include notes on tricks, significant errors, and personal comments. I don't make notes on minor mistakes unless I'm pointing something else out.

0:00:38 - Even without the Boost Ball, rolling via Morph Ball is generally faster than walking in this game.

0:01:38 - Scanning through that wall is standard.

0:03:10 - The container moves both in the cutscene and in real-time. Even if you can't see it, the runner is riding the crate over to the ledge.

0:04:26 - The first time in the run the runner (successfully) uses a 'roll shot'(? I think it's called; it lets you fire before the unmorph animation is complete). Not used *all the time* because it doesn't open all doors more quickly.

0:04:30 - Misses the 'ghetto jump' (a jump against an object that increases max jump height) up the wall once. That's fine. This trick here lets you pick up the Missile Launcher twice for a final 101% completion and gives you a well-needed extra set of missiles for the early parts of the run.

0:06:00 - Gets the missile drops he needs. His method of attack on DAS is also probably the fastest, although I confess I've never tested it myself.

0:07:12 - Purposeful. When he uses his last remaining missile later, his chances of getting drops from enemies become certain.

0:10:12 - Cool dash. I don't think I've seen it before.

0:10:56 - Splash damage from the missile breaks the lock.

0:11:11 - Idle time is fine here. The battle doesn't really start until after the cutscene with the dark energy, and that happens after several seconds automatically. Incidentally, the Bomb Guardian fight is perfect.

0:13:11 - That's a 'roll jump' (no moon jump here!). It lets you jump immediately after an unmorph. The requirements are stringent though - Nice to see him shooting for the stars in an SS.

0:14:16 - Nails the portal room. You need to blow only the last lock to open the portal.

0:14:38 - The cutscene that he skips pulls you into the portal automatically after the scan.

0:15:30 - The spot he's shooting is actually the position of the boss Jump Guardian. Since he's entered the arena through the back door, he's avoided the trigger point and can bring the boss down to a sliver of life without any resistance. Near the end of the fight he loses a few seconds on misses, but these are acceptable mistakes.

0:16:53 - I'm not sure why he went fishing for energy.

0:18:39 - At the end of that complex bomb jump, the runner does a 'bomb-space jump' to reach the ledge. Like the roll jump, it lets you jump in midair after an unmorph. A bsj lets you reach much greater heights.

0:20:37 - Idle time is fine here - The cutscene repositions you, and there's not enough time to blast the missile lock.

0:20:48 - I don't believe this console can be scanned any earlier, but I'm not 100% sure.

0:21:48 - No changes that I notice from the pause here. Also, the console he scans here must be scanned from the front (as he does)

0:22:16 - He needs more missiles for later, and these crates are right there.

0:22:38 - Nice. I haven't seen anyone pass through the laser puzzle like that before. Saves time waiting for them.

0:23:24 - Clean DS fight. Precise timing on charged shots and smart use of missiles.

0:25:05 - Wow. Another ghetto I've never seen before. Cool.

0:26:24 - Tight positioning there. To undo the third lock, that pole needs to be scanned 'from the front', but the game makes no distinction on when you've crossed over from behind except on the scan message itself.

0:26:33 - I didn't know you could roll jump there. Nice surprise.

0:26:45 - Apparently he finds a small crag to stand on.

0:27:05 - He spends time recharging here because things can get ugly from even minor mistakes or unexpected variances (bad doors).

0:30:25 - Here the runner does a personal favorite trick of mine - He ghettos over the tree branches in the back of TAS and leaves the map via a hole between the tree and the wall, entering a 'secret world', in order to grab a power bomb expansion in the next room. I won't explain everything that happens here, but I'll tell you it's clean. His means of warping back into the map is new to me, but it's faster than other methods. He loses a couple seconds on the outside, but the trip is very clean otherwise. The (very) early power bomb makes the full route much shorter and saves allot of time.

0:33:35 - He's standing on the ring.

0:38:08 - The five seconds or so lost here are from trying to alter the underwater jump mechanics such that the second jump will send Samus in a straight line towards a specific point rather than plumetting like a hot potato. Tough trick but it saves allot of time. He does this again, without any mistakes, a short while later.

0:39:16 - There's an unusually long pause here from skipping the collection cutscene, but everything looks alright.

0:41:15 - Scanning Grapple Guardian's necessary to lock onto his weak point.

0:43:10 - He takes a little time in this room and the next to recharge energy during downtime. Like before, not really necessary, but for a SS acceptable.

0:43:58 - These bars can be clipped through from the inside. No problems.

0:45:00 - He gets lucky on the drop here.

0:45:29 - I wonder if he's done this fight allot lol.

0:48:16 - The pirates are worse than the miss. The miss costs only a few seconds; the pirates cost allot more than that. They're random; it's just bad luck he encountered them.

0:48:55 - I've never seen that scan dash before. Nice.

0:49:45 - Chykka eats allot of ammo. The refill's necessary.

0:50:12 - Scanning Chykka Larva is necessary in order to lock onto the weak point on its underbelly. The fight itself is clean.

0:54:15 - The runner doesn't bother collecting the Torvus energy because it's not necessary. It has no impact on the final completion percentage. He rides the elevator up in order to reset the state of Dark Torvus Temple to allow him to leave.

0:55:10 - Impressive morph there.

0:55:32 - Yes, he just jumped through the wall. Don't ask me how no one caught that in testing. The secret world segment that follows is very impressive - he loads the next room, leaves the vicinity to secretize it, and then grabs a completely invisible missile expansion using only his map to aid him.

0:58:03 - The stock doesn't matter; he's reloading at his ship in a moment anyway.

1:02:33 - The unmorph, I assume, is to prevent himself from getting knocked around as he waits for the pirates to draw into power bomb range.

1:06:25 - The runner falls far enough in the other side of the pit to trigger the
opposite side's terminal fall zone, allowing him to respawn on the other side.

1:06:54 - The runner uses an 'instant morph' (should be self-explanatory) to get into the bomb slot.

1:06:56 - He disappoints all the viewers by taking the longer route to Vault. ... Nah, I'm just kidding. Reaching Vault via Judgment Drop *is* longer, but crossing Grand Abyss directly is very difficult and not likely to have a significant impact on his final time.

1:07:55 - Clean scan dashes all around (literally).

1:12:00 - Mostly clean Spider Guardian fight. I counted two mistakes, both minor.

1:16:29 - Hey, he nailed the Warrior Ing. Lucky him. Otherwise he would have to bsj out of here. This brief secret world segment is to let him pass the Echo door in that room to let him reach Quadraxis. He's brave to fight him with so little energy and no Dark Suit in a SS speed run. The fight itself is good - I like his use of Screw Attack for getting around not having the Echo Visor yet.

1:20:05 - Unlike Torvus', Sanctuary's energy is necessary. Returning it is the prerequisite for the Light Suit.

1:21:57 - The last ten seconds are just awesome.

1:23:26 - Clean DS2 fight. Done in well under a minute.

1:24:38 - Precise boosts.

1:26:25 - Hahaha, I didn't even know you could do that. The runner SAs over the top of the exit to the morph ball puzzle to drop in.

1:28:50 - Nice wall bounce.

1:33:00 - There's a long pause during the collection fanfare, but I might attribute this to the game not allowing him to continue (as it is sometimes want to do). I'm not certain of this though. Everything afterwards appears consistent.

1:35:34 - Clean PB Guardian fight. He goes for the slots further away first because the Guardian's rate of fire increases as his health drops.

1:37:53 - Metroid Prime never fails to impress me at the amount of stuff you can stand on. I also have to give credit to the runner for not hitting his head on the ceiling.

1:43:05 - Wow, he uses an invisible crag to halt his fall. Cool stuff.

1:43:50 - The whole climb up this room is fun to watch.

1:49:56 - Ooohoo, tight SA through the hole. That could so easily go wrong.

1:53:30 - The refill is for Amorbis.

1:56:07 - The failed jump here does not incur a loss. He has to wait for the Warrior Ing to finish killing themselves after collecting the STK before the Agon key can appear.

1:57:47 - Perfect (I think) Amorbis fight.

1:59:50 - The runner heads to collect the Agon energy. This is necessary because the sonic locks for the energy tank in Main Plaza don't appear unless you return it.

2:02:12 - He makes a major mistake here. Between the miss on the bsj-sa and the interference from enemies on his boost back up, he loses a little over fifteen seconds.

2:02:58 - You can, apparently, clip through this gate from the back side. I did not know this, but it seems consistent with the game's physics.

2:05:10 - Grabbing the Darkburst without fooling around with the puzzle in this room first allows you to skip the item collection fanfare.

2:05:32 - The miss on SAing to the ledge costs him a good five seconds here.

2:10:02 - Smooth. More slick boosting.

2:26:31 - Nice Emperor Ing fights. The Eye is almost perfect. The Chrysalis' tentacles and Inglets give him a little hassle, but his use of his remaining power bombs is impeccable. Against MEI, he uses a well-known bug that allows you to heavily damage MEI by hitting the space behind his legs with SA. He misses once, but only because MEI is lame.

2:28:16 - *Nice* job on DS3. A well-aimed SA takes out half DS' health bar and leaves very little for the slower-paced DS4 fight.

Thoughts: This is an excellent run. The runner employs a wide assortment of difficult tricks and performs almost all of them consistently, made all the more impressive by doing it in an SS. That said, aside from the major mistakes, there are enough minor goofs to leave at least a minute for improvement (possibly two, but that's pushing it). I can see a better time... in a segmented run, but beating this one SS is a tall order.

Also, Seeker locks are BS. Don't hold him accountable on those. I'm actually impressed he cleaned up most of the failures without having to redo them completely.

Verdict: Accept

Quote:
Okay I must say that this run has amazing consistency throughout the whole run.

True there's a few minor and major mistakes in the run but they're so far into the run that they're easily forgivable.
Not to mention that the boss strats were executed perfectly. (Well EI2 may not have gone perfectly but it's still optimized very well)

I don't want to create a large wall of text for a SS run so to keep it simple I will say accept. (tbh you'd be stupid if you thought that this run should be rejected.)

Quote:
No cheating I noticed and the encode is good.  It bobs in Windows Media Player but not in VLC for some reason, but that's probably not a big deal.

The play quality is great and it beats the previous run by about half an hour.  How could I say anything but accept?

Quote:
I don't have much to add that hasn't been added already.  It's just a superb run that blew my mind on the bosses.  Of course there were  some hang-ups, but were negligible.  Video/Audio quality is fine.  GJ Miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run crushes the current 100%.
Thread title:  
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
congrats. can't wait to see this in HQ.
when on earth is this going up?
Exoray
Miles took forever to send in his comments. We have them now though so expect it sometime soon Smiley
It's going to go up with my MP1 100% run as a double Metroid update.
hoho. talk about a double punch.
heeh. the run is up. it took a while but i can finally get rid of the old runs in my hdd.
SEGA Junkie
Yeah, no surprises that this is one of the better runs I've watched all year. Great job Miles!
Very well done Miles, looking forward to more.
Master-88
Awesome run. Its maybe best MP 2 run entire site.

I pick up only one single mistake entire game which cost more than 10 seconds. Other mistakes seems really minor. Thats quite good because game has 2 & half hour lenght "real time". I enjoy a lot with this run.
Awesome work =)
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Awesome run. I can tell that a lot of work went into practicing glitches and tons of little movements. As a result, virtually everything went very smoothly. The video quality was excellent too. I look forward to a run that uses the item loss skip.
The Great Farming Empire
This was an amazing run. Nice job Miles.
I am continuously amazed at what you can pull off in a single sitting. Amazing, and a truly spectacular work. Such a few major mistakes and minor mistakes and high quality all throughout.
Great job, Miles!
Willing to teach you the impossible
This seemed like the best place to ask this. Why does this game not have a "real" thread? Many very small ones and one large one that is locked. Was all the planning and such done on m2k forums?
<(^_^)>
discussion for most metroid speedrunning is on the m2k2 forums (https://m2k2.taigaforum.com/), and not usually on SDA forums.
#Casual
The game's discussion is very mature and basically spent its lifetime there.