--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MetroidPrime2.html

Alastair 'DJGrenola' Campbell's secret worlds low% run

Quote:
I was hoping for something new, but since I didn't see anything on M2K2, I should have known better. :\

At any rate, I accept.  Even if Grenola's right about the possible time gains, there won't be an improvement from him or anyone else, at least not anytime soon, and he's only talking about 17%.  He mentioned nothing of going lower, and given he acquired three items that put him above the known minimum of 14% (Seekers, Super Missile, PB Expansion), his projections may not be in line with the next low % run.  On its own, it's still certainly well-executed despite nitpicks and mistakes.  It was SDA quality three years ago and I feel it's still SDA quality now.

I may as well make this useful and clarify how the beams work with Phazon shot (Grenola didn't).  Phazon Shot takes in the special property of the beam's charge shot: Light gives a slight homing ability, Annihilator gives a Wave Beam-like stun ability, and the Dark Beam grants the ability to create the entangling part of the Entangler (the part that seeks enemies next to ground zero and envelops them in dark energy).  The latter is what's responsible for the Dark residue left when the Dark Beam is used for Phazon shots, but the entangler doesn't become a Phazon attack as a result of this fusion; it remains Dark-type.  To this end, DJ is right, the Dark Beam is no better than the Power and Annihilator beams for draining Dark Samus's energy.  Damage-wise, all four are the same.

However, technically the Light Beam would be best, even if the homing ability is practically pretty much worthless.  At least it grants something that isn't rendered null by DS's defenses. Tongue

Quote:
Hi,

Firstly, there seems to be a major problem with segment 1, the screen goes green and the audio cuts at 3:25; I'm guessing this was just an issue with the version I downloaded but if not, the runner could probably just record a new segment 1 (it's pretty trivial and straightforward).

Cheating: None as far as I can tell; Items are consistent, the runner starts at the same save e.t.c.

Quality (Capture): Asides from the above mentioned issue, there doesn't seem to be any video of sound issues. I'm 90% sure it's from the game, but at 9:07 in segment 12 there's a weird sound I can't identify (when going through the door to the save after stopping the Dynamo). If the runner could clarify what it is I'd be completely happy.

Quality (Gameplay): Yeah, fine. There are mistakes in route, which the runner mentions, and in execution, but nothing unexpected. I was particularly impressed with some segments; segment 7 had some ghetto jumps and other tricks after using a secret world, so it was impressive to see it done so quickly. The Boost Guardian was O_o. Part 15 was quite a surprise, but very good nonetheless. Segment 13 was excellent, lots of difficult techniques and only a little time lost. The final Emperor Ing fight (segment 20) looked a bit slow, but it wasn't awful. If anyone/the runner tries to improve the run I would look at improving that fight as being important.

Overall: The run is very good, there are a few mistakes but nothing unexpected. Accept, as long as the segment 1 issue is cleared up.

Quote:
I've finished watching Alastair's Metroid Prime 2 run. As can be expected from DJGrenola, the run quality is excellent. He mentions that it is a bit outdated, but new techniques only allow for a few minutes saved, so this run is still very impressive. The audio/video is great (the commentary included as a second track is really cool), and I didn't see any cheating anywhere. I would say accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's nice to finally see this run on SDA.
Thread title:  
Master-88
Know anyone which is his clear time?

I not see verifers tell it. Maybe i am just blind, but i am curious know how much SW run is faster than no SW run.
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Quote from MASTER-88:

I not see verifers tell it. Maybe i am just blind, but i am curious know how much SW run is faster than no SW run.

1:55

http://www.archive.org/details/MetroidEchoes_17p_155
Master-88
Oh. Yeah i know this run. This was his old low-% run. Already this not was up on SDA, because SDA not allow SW runs then. Cheesy
guffaw
Quote from MASTER-88:

This is my old, low% (17%) run from 2006. The time was 1:55. It is not a new run, it is just eligible for submission now the OoB rules have changed.

I've checked all four of my copies of segment 1 in two different video players and I can't reproduce the problem reported by the second verifier. However, I encoded this run myself on Mac OS X using my own methods (which are thankfully not named after characters from silly japanese cartoons), so if anyone else encounters problems, please let me know. In case one of the files somehow got corrupted en route, here are the md5sums from my copies of segment 1:

MD5 (MetroidEchoes_17p_155_HQ_part01.mp4) = 7a3d37718832167e95d0aa1238f4ec20
MD5 (MetroidEchoes_17p_155_IQ_part01.mp4) = 86c14b53e598bd8bd087348393a51158
MD5 (MetroidEchoes_17p_155_LQ_part01.mp4) = 9c434d6d750ab36382d9bc50a6f1c7ab
MD5 (MetroidEchoes_17p_155_part01.mp4) = b8ef5b947469e11427edb968bb4a04c6

I'm fairly sure that the "weird noise" mentioned by the verifier in segment 12 at 9:07 is the morph ball slot retracting into the ground. There seems to be no equivalent noise in the 1:38, but it is possible that this is because Echoes suffers from a few audio bugs. Also possible is that since I got a fast gyro ring in the 1:38, I was through the door before the slot had retracted, so the sound never played. I can't answer with certainty because I don't have my copy of the game with me at the moment.
Fire Emblem?
Quote from DJGrenola:
Quote from MASTER-88:

This is my old, low% (17%) run from 2006. The time was 1:55. It is not a new run, it is just eligible for submission now the OoB rules have changed.

I've checked all four of my copies of segment 1 in two different video players and I can't reproduce the problem reported by the second verifier. However, I encoded this run myself on Mac OS X using my own methods (which are thankfully not named after characters from silly japanese cartoons), so if anyone else encounters problems, please let me know. In case one of the files somehow got corrupted en route, here are the md5sums from my copies of segment 1:

MD5 (MetroidEchoes_17p_155_HQ_part01.mp4) = 7a3d37718832167e95d0aa1238f4ec20
MD5 (MetroidEchoes_17p_155_IQ_part01.mp4) = 86c14b53e598bd8bd087348393a51158
MD5 (MetroidEchoes_17p_155_LQ_part01.mp4) = 9c434d6d750ab36382d9bc50a6f1c7ab
MD5 (MetroidEchoes_17p_155_part01.mp4) = b8ef5b947469e11427edb968bb4a04c6

I'm fairly sure that the "weird noise" mentioned by the verifier in segment 12 at 9:07 is the morph ball slot retracting into the ground. There seems to be no equivalent noise in the 1:38, but it is possible that this is because Echoes suffers from a few audio bugs. Also possible is that since I got a fast gyro ring in the 1:38, I was through the door before the slot had retracted, so the sound never played. I can't answer with certainty because I don't have my copy of the game with me at the moment.

(n.b.: I'm verifier 2) Okay, that clears things up. I don't know what happened with segment 1 then, I downloaded it twice and tried it in two different players, both times were the same. I also tried skipping ahead, it's the whole video from that point on. Oh well, it doesn't matter.

With the weird noise, I thought it might be, but I didn't recognise the sound off the top of my head, and it does sound a little out of place. So, no problems there at all then :D.

Anyway, congratulations on getting the run onto the site, even if it is a few years old and whatnot :P. Have you thought about doing a new, lower percent run? Actually, just out of curiosity, what extra items can be skipped in a 14% OOB?
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Quote from DJGrenola:
However, I encoded this run myself on Mac OS X using my own methods (which are thankfully not named after characters from silly japanese cartoons)

Lmbo.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this run.  Too bad Enhasa hasn't posted in over a week... again...  Though, it's Metroid, so I'm betting Nate steps up to the plate.

EDIT:  To post below, you're missing the point.  I'm not saying this run deserves top priority over the other twenty-two, I'm just saying that in the event none of them are posted in a timely fashion due to Enhasa's absence, hopefully Nate will at least cover this run (since I'd rather have one posted out of twenty-three instead of none).
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
Anyway, I can't wait to see this run.  Too bad Enhasa hasn't posted in over a week... again...  Though, it's Metroid, so I'm betting Nate steps up to the plate.

I would hope that it wouldn't bypass the 22 other runs waiting to go up...

Anyway, I still watch this every few months or so, so it's nice to see it finally get on SDA.
guffaw
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
Quote from DJGrenola:
However, I encoded this run myself on Mac OS X using my own methods (which are thankfully not named after characters from silly japanese cartoons)

Lmbo.

It is Metroid Prime 2, so don't hold your breath. Anyway, it's been 3 years, so I'm sure a bit longer won't hurt. Actually I had a slight suspicion it might get rejected, which would have made me laugh.

I doubt there are too many people left who know the full history of the secret world phenomenon, and the wars that were once fought over it. It is strange to see this run finally accepted for submission, because I certainly didn't expect it to be when I started it.
You got a deletion wish?
Is this going to have the same audio commentary as before or did you record new stuff?
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
Quote from DJGrenola:
I doubt there are too many people left who know the full history of the secret world phenomenon, and the wars that were once fought over it.

*checks battle scars and raises hand*  Wink

Nice to see the run finally getting onto SDA DJ. I doubt anyone can be arsed to beat it, but I suppose you never know!  Cheesy
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
hmm what a coincidence, i was watching this run just last week and thought that it would be cool to see it up in SDA.
good to see that it finally made the jump. i watched it way back when it was made and it still looks good after so long.
btw, the only program i have that plays the run properly is VLC in my computer. it desyncs with every other program. i guess my pc has hit its limits heh.