Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Better get one.

Benjamin 'UraniumAnchor' Cutler's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Hi, here's my verdict.

Levels 1 through 3 are very close to perfection. I especially liked the Armor trick to get in the safe spot of the third boss.
4-1 is an autoscrolling stage, miniboss execution is perfect. 4-2 is an autoscroller too.
4th boss: there is a trick to instantly kill this boss. Apparently getting hit by the heart (the red part) while wearing the Armor powerup destroys it. I tried it a few times but I could get it to work only once. I couldn't find any information on why it doesn't always work, so I won't take this into consideration unless someone can explain it. The actual execution is very good.
5-1, 5-2: nice use of the Armor to speed up this part. There's a missed shot in 5-2, nothing serious as it wasted less than half a second. Using the Gravity Ball instead of the Power Beam would have probably been a bit faster.
5th boss: again, this would have been faster with the Gravity Ball. Execution with the Power Beam is good.
6-1: perfect.
6-2: there's a small stop to get the Armor. Necessary for the boss rush.
6th boss: it's as fast as it can be.
Boss rush: the Power Beam is the best choice for this. Bosses 5 and 6 are very flawed, they took 4-5 seconds each more than their first versions.
Final boss: not much to comment here. Perfect.

Audio/video quality is good, and they're correctly synchronized.

Overall, this run is pretty good. The small mistakes here and there are not ground for rejection. The only thing that made me think a lot is the choice of weapon in stage 5. I'd like to know from the author why he didn't try the Ball. My vote is a yes.

Response (the runner had more to say, but I was hasty):

Quote:
[This is what the runner had to say about stage 5.

Quote:
The ball is only faster if you can do the TAS trick
which requires frame precision on each jump
There's a trick where if you jump on the same frame as you hit the ground after using the gravity fire you'll do a regular jump but still be on fire
But to do it reliably or repeatably in a real time run is just going to make you reset a million times because of luck :p
Also using the fireball in level 5 would slow you way down, you wouldn't be able to kill the laser shooters and you'd have to rely on the TAS trick to get through most of the lasers
ie impossible

Verifier's response

Quote:
I tried using the ball in stage 5. With my sloppy skills I manage to do it ~2 seconds faster than your run, and that's all thanks to the boss. Even with perfect skills I estimate a maximum improvement of 4-5 seconds, not worth the significally higher difficulty using the ball would involve.
I never implied using the TAS trick, anyway. I know it's impossible to do that in real time.

Again, I accept the run. Sorry for the delay caused by this matter, Mike.

Quote:
This is run is Frezy_Man, contrafied and sexy. Kiss

Quote:
This game is awesome and so is the run.  Accept!

Decision: Accept

Reason: We're getting a lot of sick NES runs this year.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2009-08-09 04:37:15 pm
Not a walrus
Woo. Cheesy

Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote:
I tried using the ball in stage 5. With my sloppy skills I manage to do it ~2 seconds faster than your run, and that's all thanks to the boss. Even with perfect skills I estimate a maximum improvement of 4-5 seconds, not worth the significally higher difficulty using the ball would involve.
I never implied using the TAS trick, anyway. I know it's impossible to do that in real time.

I'd be curious to know how the actual level compared when this verifier tested, because from my testing I was able to get faster boss times but slower level times, which didn't offset the difference enough to make it worth it. Level 5 was actually the ugliest part of the run, when compared against my best attempts, but it was very, very difficult to get a "perfect" run through level 5 and the previous levels had gone better than usual, so I felt like those offset the difference. Especially level 2, over three days of serious (serious as in I was keeping track) attempts I only managed to get to the boss by 348 on the timer 3 times. I never managed to get 349. 347 was very common.

Glad you guys liked it, but no, I'm not Frezy. Cheesy
I fucking love this game. Have a lot of trouble beating it after the third level, but it's so much funnnnn.

Hurry up and publish the run. >_<
You got a deletion wish?
Who the heck was #2?  "Run is Frezy, contrafied and sexy", lol.
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Woo. Cheesy

Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote:

I'd be curious to know how the actual level compared when this verifier tested, because from my testing I was able to get faster boss times but slower level times, which didn't offset the difference enough to make it worth it. Level 5 was actually the ugliest part of the run, when compared against my best attempts, but it was very, very difficult to get a "perfect" run through level 5 and the previous levels had gone better than usual, so I felt like those offset the difference. Especially level 2, over three days of serious (serious as in I was keeping track) attempts I only managed to get to the boss by 348 on the timer 3 times. I never managed to get 349. 347 was very common.

Glad you guys liked it, but no, I'm not Frezy. Cheesy

I feel there have been some misunderstandings. I said that with the ball it was 2 seconds faster running from the start of 5-1 to the finishing blow of the 5th boss.
Here is a possible solution using the ball:

As you can see if you run the videos side to side, my version falls slightly behind by the end of 5-1, terribly behind in 5-2 and then ends the boss fight 3 seconds before yours. Maybe with some better pathing and by playing better than me (not hard, really), a few more seconds can be saved. I don't feel it's worth it.

On a side note, while recording this I managed to pull the one-shot armor trick on the 4th boss. I was using savestates and every time I reloaded it kept dying instantly. So its randomness isn't based on time... maybe on the score, or the number of items picked up...
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2009-08-12 12:39:07 pm
Not a walrus
Do you mean not even shooting it and running into it? Might be worth investigating if it can be done reliably. It's easy for the 4-1 boss, just shoot the first three and crash into the fourth. Always works.

And yeah, if you could only save 2 seconds on the boss fight the ball isn't worth it. My best "perfect" level 5 run with the power beam was 3 seconds faster just on the level and 2-3 faster on the boss, but even the slightest mis-step in level 5 slows everything else down because the laser timing doesn't wait, and the boss itself is actually somewhat random so it's hard to have a perfect fight, unlike all the other bosses which are 100% predictable.

Edit: After some testing I've decided that it MAY be possible to save some time off a "perfect" run by killing the boss faster if you get lucky and do a couple bounces, but I don't really have the time to dedicate to a full run right now. Most of my level 5 attempts ended in laser-induced death and the few that made it to the boss were all slower than my perfect level run. A surprising chunk of time is lost in the middle of 5-2, those fliers that spawn giant waves of doom are far harder to kill with the standard gun and their shots cause problems if they reach the edge of the screen... not only do they need to be dodged but they cause more lag. I was actually most concerned about the fireball on the 4-2 boss, but it turns out that it's not all that difficult to get a comparable time with the fireball versus the power beam, and if we can figure out how to get the instant-kill to be reliable, it may be possible to get it below 12:30, assuming I can get a better boss rush.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
How the heck have I never heard of this game before?!? It is freakin awesome and your run was off the hook UA, well done.
Quote from sinister1:
How the heck have I never heard of this game before?!? It is freakin awesome and your run was off the hook UA, well done.

Blame Batman.
Edit history:
feasel: 2009-09-16 03:55:43 pm
difficult and stupidly random
I'm surprised i've never heard of this game either.  It looks like a ton of fun.  And a great choice for speedrunning.

UraniumAnchor:  On the boss that consists of three revolving platforms, there is a lot of time spent waiting.  I'm not familiar with the game -- what is happening at this boss?  I'm assuming this delay is necessary for proper timing, or to meet some sort of limited window of vulnerability.  (As opposed to, say, getting up to eat a burrito)

BTW, Great run -- you make it look easy.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
feasel, you have to wait for the platforms to open up. If you look at the video closely, you will see the platforms change slightly before UA shoots them.
Not a walrus
What Mike said.

There's an 'eye' that opens to let you know they're vulnerable, but I probably shoot so fast it's hard to notice. Wink
Waiting hurts my soul...
plus he has to keep jumping from platform to platform because the floor and ceiling are deadly I believe.
Awesome run! That was one of the most enjoyable runs I've watched on the site so thanks for the hard work you put in!
I just want to congratulate you on the awesome run, UraniumAnchor, you spoil us SDA lurkers. Looking forward to that Expert Mode run!

Cheers