List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

easy difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Ok, I watched the run (finally) and i'll be quick, because in fact I only know the arcade difficulty of the game :

Video : fine
Audio : Fine
Gameplay : ... Here is the problem ! I planned a MS2 speedrun in hardest difficulty a long time ago, and i feel "disappointed" with this run. I mean I found some tricks and moves... and they are not useful in the easy difficulty run (the worst conrcerning it is the final boss of course) . Moreover, due to that easy difficulty, I think the player could have taken more risks, for instance in level 5 : the beginning can be done faster without the rocket launcher AND in hard difficulty.

Verdict : Otherwise, the run is not bad (some good moves and timings), but i feel so disappointed... I can't choose between accepting and rejecting it. Sorry.

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. Got a bit sick the other day and felt like shit for the remainder of the week or so. Just about a couple minutes ago I finished testing stage 1 (just to confirm: easy means difficulty 2 on the arcade version, right?), so allow me to be the douche first:

-When approaching the caravan scene you should bomb the two bandits on the far right (saves ~:02)
-You can use a couple of bombs on the caravan itself if that saves any time (doubt it)
-While switching to the next tower at the mini-boss you should land a couple of diagonal shots before you position yourself directly under it when using the machinegun. This also applies to the string of helicopters later in the stage, as well as numerous other occasions throughout the run (saves only a few frames here, but I guess it would pile up to a few seconds towards the end)
-Start jumping immediately after you gain back control after the mini-boss (a couple of frames)
-You should start shooting at the building a bit earlier and throw two bombs at the tank after you drop from the carriage. Also, crush the camel if you get on it as soon as you destroy the tank (all of this saves ~:03)
-After you break the helicopters, it's faster to simply take a step to the right under the bullet and start jumping asap instead of curving above it from the left (saves ~:0.5)
-You can actually deal double damage using bombs on the boss with a simple trick. Position yourself on the left side of the screen, under the boss' right wing, just under the exhaust/between the turbines. You should be bombing the part where the wing is connected to the rest of the plane. The logic behind this trick is that the wing(s) and the main part of the plane are separate entities running on the same health variable - you probably get the rest of the picture. The positioning is really forgiving so this method is very consistent (saves ~:03)

This means roughly ten, completely free seconds could be saved from a one minute long stage. I'm guessing the first stage is the most optimized one in this run so it's not really necessary for me to go through the rest of the stages (I know I probably should, though). For now, I'd encourage the runner to try again. I could even fix the route for every stage if he wants.

edit:

STAGE 2:
-Shoot the exploding barrel instead of bombing it (saves, well, an extra bomb for the boss)
-At the first mummy you should start mashing the fire button when passing the pack of bats, this should result in slashing them with the knife and shooting the mummy a lot sooner (~:01)
-After the next mummy you should IMMEDIATELY throw a bomb to the left and start climbing at the same time, once you reach the ledge on the right the following mummies should become vulnerable, the bomb goes off on the one on the left and you jump-shoot the one on the right (~:02)
-When approaching the last bit of this section at the first spawning row of three mummies you should jump above the one in the front and, while dropping, burn the first two with a single shot, then do the same for the last one so you pass that area (kinda) without stopping (~:01)
-In the next section, about halfway through, at the big staircase all the way on the right, only bomb the second mummy and torch the rest (saves two bombs for the boss)
-Ok, so for the boss you should have at least 5 flame shots and exactly 8 bombs left, you should also skip the slugnoid. What you should do is face right, crouch, stay on the platform where you trigger the boss to appear, and start repeating a very simple pattern: two bombs followed by a flame shot (you should throw the first bombs once you trigger the boss, but delay the flame shot until just before the boss reaches you). The in-game timer should be a mid 60 once the boss is defeated (all of this saves ~:06, mostly because of climbing the tower on foot)

It seems that the mentioned amount of time saved by the strats listed by me for stage 1 is a bit exaggerated, it's actually about :06 total. I dunno if the individual times for each strat for stage 2 are listed correctly, but I'm completely sure that the total is exactly :10 since now I actually recorded a run in FBA. I'll do stage 3 later.

edit2:

STAGE 3:
-You should immediately start jumping at the beginning (frames)
-At the pack of prisoners you should jump above the first soldier but knife the second one, this allows you to hop onto the first wagon and continue jumping without any delay (frames)
-Start shooting the first tank a bit sooner and position yourself farther to the right instead of the dead middle when waiting for the grenades to spawn (~:01)
-Rescue the prisoner between the wagons for bombs (I tested it and it neither saves or wastes time, but allows for a really consistent boss strat)
-At the boat scene you should double-bomb the last one also (~:02, assuming you luck out and get its short death animation again)
-Rescue the pack of hidden prisoners before jumping to the next train for bombs (same as the last prisoner)
-Don't use bombs on the tanks (boss strat)
-Jump straight from the wagon's roof to the airplane rather than fall down and make an extra jump (~:01)
-Now shooting at the next scene generates a LOT of lag, you should fly above all that shit rather than shoot at it. Fire a single stream of bullets to free the prisoner, then mash at everything that's in front of you (~:03)
-You should have exactly 44 bombs when approaching the boss. Mash the fire button and start pushing against his upper part. Once he's vulnerable fire a single missile, move just a tad bit away from him and crush the plane. You want to land on his middle part rather than the train, but there has to be enough distance between you and his upper part so you don't get killed in the next part - that's why you have to back up a little before you rush the plane. Now you simply want to crouch-spam all of your grenades (get rid of the parachute asap) and depending on your timing with the plane crush, the boss should be dead or like three bullets away from death once your nade count reaches zero (~:11)

STAGE 4:
-Jump on top of the trucks rather than above them so you get a clean jump to the crate without any delay (~:0.5)
-Again, when waiting for an item to spawn (machinegun from the first prisoner), position yourself away from the middle, closer to where you'll be heading next (frames)
-Timing when to shoot at the prisoner which gives you bombs so that you get them kinda without stopping rather than chasing him to the lower level is actually very easy (~:0.5)
-Don't bomb the bus. If you destroy it any sooner you'll have to wait for the grenade to go low enough anyway (bombs)
-Grab the rocket launcher (saves time in the next area)
-Throw a single bomb at the first boat, two at the second one. Finish both off with crouch-spamming rockets (~:04)
-Destroy the tank using one bomb and spamming the remaining rockets. Bomb the chopper three times, finish it off with a couple of pistol shots (~:03)
-At the boss, you should start bombing the cannons immediately after they become vulnerable. You can easily land two jump cannon-shots on the big gun in between its own shots. This tactic basically allows you to dodge the shots without having to time your jumps, without sacrificing any time (~:16)

So up to the end of the fourth stage you could save a total of about 55 seconds, without any effort. It's a reject from me, based on half-assed planning and basically lack of any research on the runner's part. I won't go through the latter stages unless the runner decides to try again.

Quote:
First off, I want to say the mashing in this run seems inconsistent. I know you don't have to mash very hard during some parts, but it seems like the runner isn't trying very hard with mashing, then in the next area he's mashing quickly. I know some parts you don't have to mash hard because a lot of enemies die in one or two bullets on easy, but there's parts where the runner should be mashing hard and he's not. It's not really a big deal, it's just weird.

The run looks good from Missions 1-3, though missing out on the extra set of bombs in Mission 3 is pretty bad. The run really starts to suffer at the end of mission 4 where the runner fights the boss. The boss fight was so bad he should have reset, and according to the second verifier,  there's an easier way to hit the boss with cannon shots. Then there's mission 5, where in the beginning the runner goes out of his way to collect a rocket launcher that is only used for wasting lots of time blowing up every car and causing tons of lag, not to mention the waiting after each car blows up. The only car that really did justify blowing up was the one containing a bomb drop, that's one out of what, 10 or so? I also notice the run gets a lot more conservative towards the end, there is a lot less jumping and a lot more walking. I know there's a lot of enemies in the final stage, but they also die super quick on easy difficulty. I'm sure there's a way to jump over/through more enemies without dying.

I can't accept this run, there's simply too many mistakes in the second half.

Decision: Reject

Reason: Poor planning and execution degrades starting from mission 4.

This run will be available to download for a month. PM me for the link.
Thread title: