1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MetalGearSolid3.html

Hidenori 'Hikari' Kawamoto's Kerotan rank European Extreme run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
The volume is pretty low and requires quite the cranking, but thankfully when you turn it up, there’s no buzzing.

Quality (Gameplay)
Segment 1
Nice guard strategies in the Rassvet area.

Segment 2
I’m don’t see the point in backtracking for chaff grenades and regular grenades, but I’m sure I will later. He could have shot those frogs on his way through the first time, but since he needs those weapons and he needs to backtrack anyway, I guess it makes sense.

Segment 3
Nice segment. I see the reason why he picked up those chaff grenades, so he could nail the two frogs in the areas where he doesn’t have his tranquilizer gun (You don’t get it back until the end of this segment). He doesn’t have his regular gun either, so they were the only option to hit the frogs with. I forgot Snake was totally unarmed here.

Segment 4
That had to be one of the best Ocelot Unit takeouts I’ve seen, though I think the roof guy could have been taken out just a second or two faster.
The rest of the segment is actually equally as awesome. He runs through areas with a bunch of guards without being detected and still managing to shoot the frogs. He even shoots one through a window with a guard pretty much standing right in front of him.

Segment 5
That was a sweeeeet Ocelot battle. He has to shoot his hat off to ensure that he can turn to shoot the frog and not die (or get hit, because I’m pretty sure Ocelot’s shots take you out of the aiming screen). He leaves the fight one hit away from death too, so there’s another example of speed taking precedence over health.
Cave explorer goes as well as it can.

Segment 6
The Pain battle goes very well.
Even though he blows up some barrels which roast some bad guys, they don’t count towards the kills for some reason.

Segment 7
That stairway climb is handled very well, including dive rolls that take out guards from three feet away.
Gets caught in scientist uniform to warp right next to the next frog.
I don’t get the loop the guy does after rolling out the window, maybe it’s for the guard timing or something.

Segment 8
That is still one of the best The Fear strategies ever.
More good guard moving strategies are present through out the segment.
Saves during the battle with The End after shooting all the frogs. I’m not sure what he’s going to do.

Segment 9
This runner continues to surprise me, wiping out The End with one of the coolest strategies ever.
Manages to survive one of the hardest parts of the game – The Ladder – and still carry on.

Segment 10
Quite the ballsy strategy is used to cross the mountain top.

Segment 11
The Fury went flawlessly.

Segment 12
A two second hesitation mistake happens while he’s selecting weapons in the hall.

Segment 13
Unlike the other MGS 3 runs, he doesn’t hold R1 to activate the weapon menu while Volgen beats on him, so I guess he doesn’t give a crap about health at all.
Since he doesn’t seek the frog out in the sewers, I guess there isn’t one down there.

Segment 14
I don’t have anything special to say about this one, because it all goes so well.

Segment 15
Great Volgen fight. I’d go so far as to call this one flawless too, especially since he needs to shoot a frog at the start. I didn’t know the Ivan thing worked twice in a row.
Holy shit. For the second half of the base chase, he uses perfectly aimed stun grenades to take out everyone so there’s no stopping at all.

Segment 16
There’s some slight weapon selection hesitation again.
The rest is a ride on rails.

Segment 17
Both Volgen battles have no problems in them.
The rest is more rails and some frog shooting along the way.

Segment 18
I can’t think of doing the final areas and The Boss any better than he does them here.

Segment 19
This is just the credit sequence and result screen.

Timing
The timer at the end reads 1:41:38 (This includes the 10 minutes of credits it forces him to sit through I think)

Importance
I’ve got to admit, I was skeptical when I first saw this was a shoot-the-frogs run. I thought we were just going to get some half-assed walkthrough that would force me back into Jack Daniels’ strong embrace. But that was not the case, because this run is exactly what we’ve come to expect from Metal Gear Solid runs by now, just with some sidetracking thrown in, which makes things even more interesting to be quite honest. It’s also funny in the sense that the items you need to hit in this game based entirely on stealth alert the enemies to your presence if they hear them. Also, your reward for this quest is also a complete stealth option. Aside from all the stuff I’ve mentioned, he makes great use of the cardboard boxes too. He can run and crouch right in front of some of the guards instead of stopping to tranquilize them. Route and item planning is pretty much unquestionable to me. Doing The End and The Ladder in the same segment as well as he did might just be the highlight of the run, but it’s hard to say when the rest of it is as equally as impressive. But can we please cut out the PS2 start-up screens and Konami logos? It would be better if those extra 40 seconds at each segment were removed and it started at the title screen instead like the MGS 3 runs here already do. I know it’s not my call, but if it can be done, that’s at least 2 MB of bandwidth we’ll save at the end of each full download.

Quote:
MGS3 Verification

Segment 1: This entire segment is done very smoothly, all kerotans were hit quickly. Sound and video quality is all good.
Segment 2: All very nice plus nice use of grenades.
Segment 3: Fantastic use of chaff grenades here really liked it.
Segment4: Ocelot unit were taken down very nicely with speed, I liked how it varied slightly from other methods to, everything else was done nice and quick.
Segment5: Ocelot dealt with nicely and the frog shot was timed very well giving Ocelot no time to move .Caves seemed fine to.
Segment6: The Pain first half was very good the start of the second half was also very nice with a well timed frog shot. I did notice that two shots took away no stamina though which was strange other than this it was all very clean.
Segment7: Brilliant segment everything was done very well, I loved the use of the guards taking Snake to the jail it’s just a shame the first punch on the frog missed, very smart indeed.
Segment 8: The Fear was taken down quickly as expected though after the fight there seems to be a random healing sound which was odd. The use of the smoke grenade in the warehouse was a nice touch and all Kerotans in Sokrovenno were collected quickly.
Segment 9: The fight with The End was very nice and was a nice surprise to see it in a segmented run.
Segment 10: Scaling the mountain was done very nicely with some good use of the cardboard box to distract the guard’s, there were also some very nice long range Kerotan shots which did not look easy.
Segment 11:  This is where beating The End pays off as the Mosin Nagant takes down The Fury with ease. All Kerotans were shot nicely I especially liked the sniper shot.
Segment 12: Quite a boring segment really, all is well done though although the runner does skip past the sniper rifle which cost him like a second which is nothing really.
Segment 13: All seems fine here as well, I think the sound may be a fraction of a second out but not really worth mentioning.
Segment 14: Nice use of The Fears camo for a direct route to the truck, all C3 was planted quickly with a nice use of the caution phase.
Segment 15: Volgin was dealt with nice and quick as expected and the RPG was put to very good use for the bike chase Kerotan’s.
Segment 16: Not really much to say about this, the missed shots on the Kerotan’s do not matter as no ammo or time is wasted.
Segment 17: Both the Shagohod and Volgin are taken down quickly, it was a good idea to kill Volgin to guarantee the Kerotan rank. The RPG was used well again for the Kerotan’s again and it was a nice touch to be able to watch the bike chase.
Segment 18: I have to say I usually hate watching the Eva part but for some reason this time I did not, it was handled very well with good use of smoke grenades. The fight with The Boss was fantastic I loved how the runner beat her collected the camo and then shot the Kerotan it was great.
Segment 19: Nothing to say. I can’t understand why the runner saved after The Boss fight but oh well.

Decision: I think this run is fantastic everything was done smoothly with hardly any mistakes and 0 major ones, the only thing I would have liked is fewer segments. Sound and audio is great throughout and the run is definitely legit. This run gets a massive accept from me and it was a privilege to verify it.

Quote:
I just finished watching this run and it's really well done with no deaths. The audio and video quality are acceptable although the video looks a bit fuzzy but nothing too bad. All the segments link up and there is nothing missing or added in between them.

My only grief is that the intro to all the segments needs to be trimmed to cut out the game intro which plays into each segment. Just start segments 2-19 at the loading screen would make it much better.

Accept

Quote:
The MGS3 run was incredible.  I spotted no cheating whatsoever, but there is a minor graphical oddity that i should point out.  When snake has a serious injury, his life bar is paled out instead of red, and the red seemed to leak into the stamina bar.  I'm unsure as to why this happens.  Also, at the final page with his ranking, the lettering is smudged, but overall, the whole video is well within acceptable video and audio quality.

I had written up all of my reactions to the run itself, but realized there were major spoilers within them.  I just want to say, two bosses particularly made me go wow as I was watching them.  The Ocelot Unit and The End.  While watching them I was truly amazed at what I was watching.  The way he beat The Fear was pretty funny as well.

The overall skill level of the runner is amazing, and I love how much thought was put into saving the least bit of time, such as the use of the cigar later on.  It was all very well optimized, and the runner went to far bounds to get the time down to what it was at.  The run must have taken an absolute godly amount of patience to pull of in the way that the runner pulled it off, and for that, I congratulate them.

Obviously, I believe that SDA should accept this run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Everyone loves this run.

BTW, the PS2 intros will be cut from the final videos.
Thread title:  
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from mikwuyma:
BTW, the PS2 intros will be cut from the final videos.

What do you mean by this?  What intros?
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I mean the bootup sequence.
Seems like the first verifier and myself agreed on most parts of this run and we both noticed the mistake in the hall in segment 12.  Grin