Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet. Remember, this is the original we're talking about, not Metal Gear Solid

Marko 'Master-88' Vanhanen's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Note: There are comments about a sound desync. This problem will be fixed in the final copy.

Quote:
Big Boss Mike,

I vote to accept the Metal Gear run.  The runner had a solid route and impressive knowledge of the requirements items/weapons (most notably the keycards - I have not-so-fond memories of playing the keycard guessing game while suffocating in gas-filled rooms).  I also found it highly entertaining since he/she both completely ditched the stealth concept of the game and dashed though the guarded areas (which due to the enemy AI isn't as hard to do in this game as in later Metal Gears, but still takes skill to pull off without taking significant damage or breaking stride) and created numerous time paradoxes in the Metal Gear saga by finishing the mission without fighting most of the bosses, rescuing Gray Fox & Dr. Pettrovich, or actually destroying Metal Gear (this made me laugh out loud during Big Boss's unskippable dialogue before the final battle, about Snake far exceeding his expectations).

Quote:
Verifier: I just watched the Metal Gear TAS, going to watch the speedrun now.
Verifier: The comments make it sound promising, though.
Verifier: OK, I'm getting a pretty bad sound desync.
Verifier: Aside from the desync and the sound level being way too low that was good.
Verifier: He pretty much followed the TAS route, except he had to skip a couple tricks that are probably impossible for humans to do anyway.
Verifier: A couple movement hang-ups but nothing major.
Verifier: It's kind of hard to avoid getting stuck on a corner or two in Metal Gear since the hit detection is a little jank.

Quote:
Audio and Video
video is good but the audio get out of sync further and further as the vid goes on

Route
Great route

Game play
The game play was very sloppy, the run was full of pauses when moving to a new "area" as if the runner was unsure of what way to go. Seemed like this run was not smooth. The runner also did not cut corners (turns) as tight as they could have been, but i can over look this. The runner also got stuck on corners very often.

Verdict - rejected

Quote:
No cheating, there are some (deliberate) deaths for shortcuts. A/V quality was mostly ok, except that the audio has a slow drift and is noticeably off sync early on and probably about 8-10 seconds by the end. This will need to be rectified before I can accept it.

Play quality and route seems fine, I haven't personally tried the rapid pausing glitch to avoid damage in gas/electric areas, but I imagine the timing is difficult enough that it'll be a while before we see it in a real time run, if ever. So this run is definitely not like TAS, sorry to say. Wink

He makes use of many time saving glitches and as far as I can tell doesn't pick up anything unnecessary, except for a couple excess rations (one is a mistake, and one just ends up not being needed), and arguably the gas mask (see above). He bumps into walls a fair bit but I think I can blame the controls for that one.

Overall I'd give it a 7 or so, or a weak accept, just because I feel like the execution could potentially be tightened up some, with less bumping into walls and cleaning up some of the menu interaction, but it's certainly a good starting point and there aren't any obvious, glaring errors that I spotted.

Decision: Accept

Reason: I am the big boss and I accept this run.
Thread title:  
Fucking Weeaboo
I was hoping to verify, but I feel asleep.  Now excuse me, the truck have started to move.
Is this the NES or MSX version?
Master-88
Quote from ShadowWraith:
Is this the NES or MSX version?

NES-versio

Good run is accept. Verification always need one asshole verifer who reject it. Grin

Yeah some wall stuck and memory mistakes, but these ones cost me some hundreds so even better gameplay not make game 20 seconds faster to beat. Let see go im even redo that in future. Yeah its fact 20 seconds away with this is not are real trouble.

But IMO this was quite good run and surely good enought in SDA. And its looks most peoples liked it much. Wink
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Is the NES version the one where you don't actually get to fight Metal Gear itself?
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from HalfMillennium:
Is the NES version the one where you don't actually get to fight Metal Gear itself?

yes