My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Zachary Morgan's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video & Audio: great quality
Cheating: none
final time: in-game timer 27:41

I'll keep the per-segment comments short, since most errors and whatnot have already been mentioned in the author's comments.

segment 3 - one of the enemies dropped an energy capsule and recovered health, which cost half a second i guess. Though the drop was unfortunate and uncontrollable, it could've been avoided if he didn't get hit in the midboss fight.

segment 5 - the hit by the pantheon right before the boss room looked quite awkward.

segment 12 - getting hit by the lamp thingie and grabbing the energy capsule after that could be avoided altogether. Another hit by a lamp near the end looked bad and avoidable as well. The boss being a bitch could've meant death without enough HP but he could've manipulated an energy capsule drop from one of the many enemies available in the area before the boss door.

segment 15 - since it's a segmented run he could've tried to manipulate an energy capsule drop near the boss door instead of grabbing the one on the ledge. The stage had quite alot of damage abuse though some of them are unnecessary and cost some time.

segment 16 - i'm sort of irked by the runner's continuous energy capsule pick-ups in the boss rooms, but i know the speedy boss strategies require a bunch of damage abuse. Some parts of the stage are a bit awkward to me like those small pauses after landing on certain platforms. This stage is hard as it is, so it's passable. The final boss fights are really great though.

Accept. I'm probably too used to seeing runs by Elpis and Mike that i have high standards for MMZ runs, so i expect near-perfection from a segmented non-S rank run since it's simply all about speed. Although this run IS good, the runner can definitely make it MUCH better. Segment the sub-27 attempt for all i care, just make it perfect enough to rival mike and elpis' runs Cheesy

Quote:
Alright, here's my analysis.

No Cheating: save file times are consistent, no use of cheats whatsoever.

Segment 1: He performed well.

Segment 2: He performed well.

Segment 3: Aside from the already mentioned health drop thing, the segment is perfect.

Segment 4: Good use of the Recoil Rod here. He touches a submarine guard and therefore takes damage at 1:01. Considering he successfully dashes under the following submarine guard just seconds later, he could've avoided this. That would save a few milliseconds at best, but yeah, it's his only flaw in this segment.

Segment 5: He got hit in this segment 3 times and even gets two health packs. While it's unavoidable to take damage during the mid-boss fight if you want to finish it fast, the 3rd hit certainly was unnecessary. Maybe he should've risked to get hit by one of the enemies, he would still have enough energy for the boss (including hit once by the boss, given he avoids the 3rd hit).  It's definitely improvable, with or without the camera thing.

Segment 6: He performed well, nothing to point out here.

Segment 7: I fully agree with the author's comment here: he got hit early on, but the rest was flawless.

Segment 8: Again, the author explains everything.

Segment 9: Yet another health pack at 1:09. Everything else has been covered by the author already.

Segment 10: Great skills shown here. I can imagine that it took the author forever to master this, but the result is also one of the best segments to watch.

Segment 11: 1:05 - 1:16 - That's one cool way to make use (or rather abuse) of the collision system. Good segment overall.

Segment 12: 2:23 - NOW he's picking up a health pack voluntarily XD. Well, he did made a mistake just a seconds before by not killing the flame robot at 2:21 after all. Also, he missed a shot at the first rotating switch room at 1:12. And he gets hit by the boss, although I'm not sure if you can avoid that myself. Improvable by a second or two.

Segment 13: Kelverian is one of the harder bosses in the game, but he performed well.

Segment 14: This is the revenge for all the health packs earlier - he has only one bar at times. Also, he misses the platform and gets hit at 0:50. As for the disk search: He entered one wrong room but found the rest of the disks and the boss fight afterwards. Considering that the rooms are random and that in order to find the right rooms, you need to waste time at the terminal, trial and error is the better choice. One wrong room is still a good performance. Good segment overall.

Segment 15: Why the energy pack at 1:14 again? Hasn't he learned his lesson yet? Enemies will most probably drop packs anyway, so why bother? Also, he paused for a split-second at 0:42. Still, good segment for the beginning. Improvable.

Segment 16: He did some mistakes here and there, but considering it's the last battle of the game and also the longest, it's still a good performance. Funny fact: This time he did missed a few attacks against Kelverian as opposed to segment 13. The three Omega boss fights were good, but he was unlucky that Omega Zero performed a second light barrier at the end.

Overall: A very good first speedrun. He could've handled the energy issue better at times, but it's still a job well done. There's room for improvement here though.

I thought the run was pretty good, but the final segment was way too sloppy (if you're surprised that I'm a verifier, then I'm old :() to be acceptable. The runner agreed to redo the final segment.

Quote:
new Segment 16: MUCH MUCH better. i can't find any mistakes that cost more than fractions of a second. Uber accept

Quote:
Wow, this guy really became perfect there. He hit any normal enemy and didn't got hit at all (expect for these two hits at 3:23 and 3:32, but they're unavoidable and didn't cost time anyways). All boss battles are improved, and he even got lucky with Omega Battle 3 as opposed to the first run. It get's my approval, that's for sure.

Quote:
This run is pretty good. The level of optimization could definitely be better for a segmented run (segment 2 in particular is pretty sloppy), but the run uses the best routes and has all of the most recent trick, so this is a good start for the game.

Decision: Accept

Reason: All we need is Zero 4 and the series will be complete. (I'm not doing it :P)
Thread title:  
The Running Failure
Twas a segmented? Eh, was hoping for SS but this is still pretty good from what i read here.

But seriously, we need a S-Rank SS to go with this. It just wouldn't be the same. Now then, who could possibly do this....hmm.....:P
fucking .gif....
Quote from Shuda51:
Twas a segmented? Eh, was hoping for SS but this is still pretty good from what i read here.

But seriously, we need a S-Rank SS to go with this. It just wouldn't be the same. Now then, who could possibly do this....hmm.....:P

I would...if I had a gba and zero 3 cart >_>

I want to see how good this was myself now.
PSP zealot
the first 2 MMZ runs were one of the first few speedruns i've had the pleasure of viewing from this site, it's a shame that mike wouldn't touch this game (or series) anymore.... >:)
welcome to the machine
Congrats on the run, Zach.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Reason: All we need is Zero 4 and the series will be complete. (I'm not doing it :P)

Honestly I'd do it if I had a GC, Gameboy player and a copy of Zero 4 (The actual GBA itself wouldn't be too bad to have either though)
Otherwise I would've been running and running Zero 4 until I got a acceptable run. (my current record on emulator for SS is 49:46 in game time with a bunch of mistakes)
Edit history:
Absolute Zero: 2010-11-19 06:43:16 pm
its cold in here.
cool, thanks for accepting. I definitely could've done better with the energy, and I will keep that in mind when I eventually re-do this.  i might do a single segment new game+ or ultimate mode run in the near future. oh and the run is on my youtube channel