List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MegaManX6.html

Chris 'Satoryu' Kirk's 8-boss run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V was just fine. No cheating detected.

Well, this run was awesome to watch. I don't have much to say about it. I think the runner knows where the times can be improved, so I'll just talk about some other stuff:

The Jungle Stage: Playing this stage with screwy lights was always a nightmare for me. The fact that you were able to do it so quickly is impressive, IMO. Also, the Ensuizan invincibility in this stage really pays off.

Metal Shark Player's Stage: Great idea to leave the robot suit on the highest platform possible, that likely saves a lot of time. Also, I'm pretty impressed with the speed the runner gets through this stage at. It was especially daring to dash through that one alcove and getting through JUST before getting squished. I wonder, though, if SDC could take care of the miniboss faster?

Ground Scaravich's Stage: Ugh. My least favorite stage in the game, and possibly my least favorite stage in an MMX game, period. Troia Base from MMX8 is what this stage wished it was, but I digress. How much time would be saved to have all 4 poles destroyed by the charged Metal Anchor? That in itself was a terrific idea, but I personally would've accepted no less than having all 4 destroyed completely in one shot. Then again, with the stupid luck you need to get the right trials to pop up, it's understandable why you didn't go for that.

Blaze Heatnix's Stage: Probably my favorite part of the run. The minibosses went down like they were nothing, and that strategy for Heatnix himself was brilliant. He was always a pain for me.

Blizzard Wolfang's Stage: Lol. Owned.

Gate 2: It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, but I don't really understand why some runners don't just restart a segment right away when they make a menu selection error 5 seconds in. Otherwise, I love that totem disappearing trick, and High Max got obliterated.. and omfg, that is the luckiest Gate fight I have EVER seen.

Decision: Accept.

Quote:
It's a substantial improvement to the previous run and the game play is tight. There's not much to improve by simply playing better or anything. There's no cheating and the A/V quality checks out OK.

I disagree on the route that was used but it's more of a question of proving the other one is better in non-TAS play rather than strictly being a case of poor judgment. As such I don't think I should give that too much criticism, either.

I think this run should be accepted; it meets all the standards and it's considerably better than the previous run.

It's a quality play by Satoryu. I hope audio commentary ensues.

Quote:
This was definitely the most entertaining Mega Man run I've seen for quite a while.  I wouldn't have minded fewer hits in the X stages; but the well-planned techniques/glitches to shred the stages and bosses makes up for those many times over.  I'm not sure what the purpose of segment 9 was (my guess was to manipulate which stages had the Nightmare effect), but I'm sure all will be made clear in the promised audio commentary.

I vote to accept.

Quote:
Capture Quality
I can tell the runner is using a ghetto DVD recorder, but to be fair, I still haven’t bought a new one either.

Gameplay
The first big difference is in segment 5 (segment 6 before), where the runner uses the invincibility glitch to avoid having to deal with the big robot in the background. He also destroys the two towers much faster than in the old run, and gets hit less. Actually, I probably shouldn’t even make comparisons to the old run, because that was nearly four years ago. Most of my comments would be the same if I continued to make the comparisons in gameplay. For example, in segment 2 of the old run, the runner just gets completely owned by nearly everything. In the new one, all those mistakes are fixed.

In segment 7, that invincibility glitch really helps out, because he can dash through enemies instead of stopping to kill them and avoid getting killed by the crusher. He even walks on spikes at one point and doesn’t die. If I were that crazy verifier, I’d be going “THERE IS SEVERE CHEATING IN THE RUN AT THIS POINT”. He also skips the heart container, and the ugly fight with the crusher boss at the end has been improved quite a bit. In fact, this level is probably the biggest source of improvement, as the in-level timer in the old run reads 3’20”16 when he changes weapons at Metal Shark Player (yeah) and it is 2’11”95 at the same spot in the new one.

I’m assuming the save in segment 9 is to move the nightmare effects to Scaravich’s level.

Oh man, I can imagine the fun times the runner had with this museum level.  All five rooms in their rampant randomness needed to be just right. I’m sure after the battle he had with the first totem pole the runner felt like restarting (His worst one of the five), but said “Fuck it” and kept going. It’s a good thing he did too, because the rest turned out to be fine.

Blizzard Wolfang’s stage gets handled much like the scrap compactor one did. This is probably the stage where its use is most obvious. The glitch is entered at the start and kept throughout the whole stage. Wolfang himself gets taken out much faster than in the old run, because X was used instead. This was actually the major difference maker, because the majority of the stage in the old run damage abused like crazy, which pretty much got the effect of the glitch anyway.

Holy shit, a one-phase Mechaniloids fight! Not even the Tee Aye eSs runs did that. Then again, they were both using an un-upgraded Zero.

This is another part I’m sure the runner loved doing. I mean, High Max and Gate in the same difficult segment? Sign me up! And speaking of High Max, the runner completely destroys him with a new strategy, to the point where it looks like he’s glitched him. It’s pretty cool, and saves a ton of time compared to the past fights.

Eh, some of these boss rematches could have gone better.

Timing
The timer at the end reads: 00:23:14

Importance
This speedrun completely destroys the old one in so many ways. Glitches helped, but the new strategies and less mistakes are obvious keys too. As for the spike dashing, I see it as revenge for all the spike-related deaths we had playing Mega Man games as kids. In the comments, the runner said he’d give level-by-level audio commentary, but there was none in the verification files. I don’t like it when I’m lied to, especially when it involves sweet bonuses. But to be fair, I once looked at the process for adding audio commentary to files fresh out of encoding and was rendered brain dead for a week just from the complexity of it. But since I work in the service industry, no one noticed.
I accept this for sure.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement in more ways than one.
Thread title:  
You got a deletion wish?
I second the 2nd verifier: AUDIO COMMENTARY PLZ!
Fucking Weeaboo
Come on, it's Satoryu.  You know it's gonna happen.
Visually Appealing
Come on, guys. You should know me better. Of course it'll be there.
Then I'll definitely be watching this run again, just to hear that. Tongue
Congratulations on the accept, though I never doubted it, myself. Looking forward to the audio commentary.
spread the dirt to the populace
Quote from 65:
Congratulations on the accept, though I never doubted it, myself. Looking forward to the audio commentary.

epic custom title/sig combo
Quote from Josh the Funkdoc:
Quote from 65:

They are unrelated to one another, just like your comment in this thread. If you don't have anything worthwhile to add regarding the subject of this thread, then fuck off.
spread the dirt to the populace
Quote from 65:
Quote from Josh the Funkdoc:
Quote from 65:

They are unrelated to one another, just like your comment in this thread. If you don't have anything worthwhile to add regarding the subject of this thread, then fuck off.

ok heres something more worthwhile than anything you've ever posted