Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MegaManMaverickHunterX.html

Chris 'Satoryu' Kirk's 100% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: Maverick hunter x... wow;
Verifier: Uhm; 100% is fully achieved, and done in probablyt he quickest fashion. I am pretty sure thats the optimal route (the revisit to Flame mammoth is a choice on when).
Verifier: the whole thing is done very well, the early parts are a little rocky (gets hit on flame mammoth twice), and a few other small errors that cost little to nothing.
Verifier: The Fact that its segmented makes me wanna frown on it, but the ending is done very fucking well. He has flawless timing on most bosses (watching Spark Mandrill go through frames of recovery in frozen steps makes me laugh so hard).
Verifier: That the early mistakes, aren't too marring and there is small room for improvement, the run is done damn well; and I feel sorry for Armored Armadillo who gets Hadoken'd twice.
Verifier: Yeah that hadoken thing is... just priceless.. Last stage, gets it all, flawless, and he dies to it; then again when going through the Sigma Stages;
Verifier: All in all, he has great timing and shows thorough knowledge, as I'm sure also a good fair amount of attempts to get to this status.

Quote:
The play quality is great, mistakes are minor and there aren't many of them. This run also beats the current one while fulfilling more restrictive category requirements (100% vs any%).

I fooled around with the boss orders, I see no reason why you couldn't switch some of the bosses around but I couldn't figure out anything that would specifically save time, either. In that light the boss route used seems pretty optimal.

The runner waits for CS to charge in D-Rex's level, two times no less. I'm positive it's faster to take backwards damage in these spots while charging the weapon, and the difference is probably 2-2.5 seconds each. Energy isn't a problem, either.

The video is a bit jumpy, which caused me some eye strain and a slight headache. It probably has something to do with how PSP's video out works (the display area on the middle of the screen is pretty small so the interlacing is magnified), but the VCR that is used to record the run certainly doesn't help any. The video is clearly brighter than the previous run and you can definitely see what's going on, but I still think the video is of borderline rejectable quality. There's no reason to do that in this case because the AV quality of the previous run isn't exactly better and the game play quality is far superior.

I'll whole-heartedly approve of this run despite the video annoyances, but I recommend that all future runs should avoid VCR if at all possible. Accept.

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
Oh god, it looks like VHS. At least it doesn’t sound that way.
(This is more than likely one of those “The final copy will look different” cases, as I've learned)

Quality (Gameplay)
Segment 1
Laaaaag. There's nothing wrong with the runner's performance though.

Segment 2
There are some mad dashing and shooting skills displayed here. Flame Mammoth goes very well until the end where, before the final shot, the runner gets blasted out of the air. I’m sure it’s not going to hurt his overall time.

Segment 3
Man, “Fire away!” just annihilates everything. Except for the boss of course, who is still faster to kill with the X-Buster if he cooperates (which he does obviously).

Segment 4
Nothing but a save warp to pick up the head piece armor.

Segment 5
Beautiful tower ascent.

Segment 6
A quick run again, with a perfect boss battle.

Segment 7
Strom Eagle is a total pussy in this version (or at least the runner made him look like that).
I’ll give props to the runner for not ADHD’ing the hell out on the platforms for the first two ascent parts in this stage.

Segment 8
Powered-up Chameleon Sting makes short work of this stage.
(As a bonus note, it sounds like quite a big part of Mandrill’s brain got lost during the transfer)

Segment 9
Just a heart tank and E-Tank pick-up here.

Segment 10
He manages to trap the art fag in a repeated missile-launching phase for the last 60% of his health and goes to town on him.

Segment 11
This stage goes so well that when he dashes off the freefalling mine cart, he lands right in the Hadouken capsule activator, not even having to climb the walls or move.

Segment 12
Not much to say, except that his jumping is impressive. Hadouken and C.S. dominate again.

Segment 13
If Armored Armadillo had stopped half way through his W roll like he did in the first fight, it would have been the perfect segment. The eyes of the Ranga Banga cooperating like they did was awesome though.

Segment 14
Kills Flame Mammoth so fast that he doesn’t even get the chance to activate the conveyer belt.
Hadouken and C.S. for the rest again.

Segment 15
Three moves and it’s over.

Timing
The timesheet in your mailbox.

Importance
This run is optimized to hell. While comparing this run to the old run, you quickly notice just how bad the other one was, and it wasn’t even a 100% run. I’ll give him a break though, since the run was done when verification (and speedrunning in general) were still developing into what they are today.
In terms of capture quality, though it may look like a VHS at some points, the screen size has doubled compared to the old run, and the picture is actually a lot more clear and bright, so it’s nice to be able to see what is going on.
Gameplay, again, is excellent. Route planning is way better than the last game. The biggest obvious difference is that the Hadouken allows him to finish off the Sigma fortress stages very quickly. Well done in all regards. This beats the old run by nearly 6 minutes, so it’s an obvious accept for me.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's tight and optimized. Poor Awesome Possum, Armored Armadillo.
Thread title:  
Visually Appealing
sorry, VHS is my only option for recording. i wouldn't be able to work a DVD recorder properly cause i'm technologically retarded, and i don't have the money for it anyway.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Satoryu:
sorry, VHS is my only option for recording. i wouldn't be able to work a DVD recorder properly cause i'm technologically retarded, and i don't have the money for it anyway.

Sell some plasma.  Or, you know, get a job. Tongue
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
aren't regular DVD recorders like 80 bucks or less?
Great run, Satoryu! It's always a pleasure to watch such a well thought-out run. Audio commentary is always nice, too.

Still, you really should reconsider your stance towards DVD recording... once set up, it'll not only look a whole lot better, (in case of HDD DVD recorder) it's also a lot more convenient. How are you digitalizing your recordings now, anyway?
I know Death Note!!!!!
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I just watched your run with audio commentary, good stuff, but I have no idea wtf a death rokker is. The Taco-Bell Chihuahua died?

In segment 9, couldn't you have used a boomerang to collect the heart tank?
I'd say it saves very little time if any (as it's slow) and most of all you couldn't have a charged Chameleon Sting at the ready if you did that. There's also the lag factor involved with other types of solution. That's likely why he didn't use it.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOR!?
Visually Appealing
Quote from 65:
How are you digitalizing your recordings now, anyway?

I have a VCR-DVD burner.

Quote from mikwuyma:
but I have no idea wtf a death rokker is.

Death Rogumer. It's the name of Vile's airship.

Quote from mikwuyma:
In segment 9, couldn't you have used a boomerang to collect the heart tank?

In theory, yeah.
contraddicted
Quote:
Oh, who am I kidding?
No one in SDA knows Deathnote

LOL
nate is not interested in mangas nor animes.
Me neither.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Great run Satoryu.  Audio commentary was spot on too.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Death Note was the shizzle until that one thing happened then the last 5 episodes or so were not so great.
Fucking Weeaboo
As always, your commentaries are awesome.  And I wasn't surprised to hear the X4 quote.  I mean, you did it in X8. ^^;;
I thought the run was great, and I enjoyed the commentary.  It is disturbing how many celebrities have died recently. 

As for having heard of Death Note, I finally have an excuse to link to this:
Congrats Satoryu, pretty good work all arround.

Do you have another project in mind?
Edit history:
carosh: 2009-10-19 05:45:34 pm
SS - sucky speedrunner
Great run and freakin` awesome audio commentary Wink

After watching it I decided to start playing MM games (it`s my first MM game Wink )

One question (I don`t know nothing in this matter so forgive me if I`ll tell something stupid...) Is playing as Vile speedrunable and if so, are you going to do it?

edit: while I was playing launch octopus stage (to get the heart tank) I found out that (by pure accident) you can jump on the serpant(?) and fire the charged storm tornado on his face.. It killed him in one shot... it`s not THE time saver but less lag less stress (if you can pull it out easily and it wasn`t just coincidence)
Visually Appealing
Good find. I'll keep that it mind.

Quote from carosh:
Is playing as Vile speedrunable and if so, are you going to do it?

I never made it without biting. Ask Mr. Rokugo.