mikwuyma: 2008-11-11 05:45:27 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game page: Doesn't exist yet.

Single-segment

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
Hey Mike

I've watched the entire Megaman 9 run.

There was no audio sync problems so watching was ok.

There was some colour flickering mainly in the menus and the companies' logo screens. It wasn't easy to notice the colour errors during gameplay.

The run doesn't use cheats so it's legit.
It's also a SS run and I didn't noticed any cuts during the video (so there was secret editing).

I was impressed with the run and there were some tricks that the player used but the difficulty factor for each one is risky and messing it up can be slower than playing it safe.

There were some levels that could be easily improved mainly Hornet Man
The main reasons were:

*This is a level where you face Clock Flower (mini-boss) that is luck based  (you want the flower to pop up in a good position to destroy it right away) in the late part of the game. Usually if you were unlucky you could defeat it in 2 cycles, but this one had 3 or 4.

* The player got hit one too many times on the stage that he had to do a small detour and collect the Big Energy Pellet to avoid dying.

Plug Man's stage went really well until the small time loss at the end when he used the last J. Sat. too early.

The Jewel Man fight was ok. It can still be defeated faster.

The Wily Levels are quite tough to know the most optimised route (trick usage because of limited weapon energy). At one point in the 4th Screen of Wily 2 he had a hard time to get through the fake block when using R.Coil.

The run main highlights were:

Completing the game SS quickly, no deaths, playing one part of the game with only 1 pixel of life left.

Result: Accepted.

Many thanks.
A verifier

Quote:
There is a sound hiccup at 29:47. I assume that's from editing out a pause. So if it's not, better look into it.

Performance is just fine, if not great. There are some choices I disagree with, though. For example, he shouldn't have gotten the first screw in Hornet Man's stage. Not only did he screw up jumping to it, he ended up having 20 screws left over before entering the Wily stages. He had tough luck in the Wily stages, especially in the last stage. There are other mistakes, 30 seconds or so, maybe a minute, but nothing worthy of rejection.

Accepted.

Quote:
Audio and video quality was fine, and there was no cheating.

The first thing I noticed about the run was that there could have been a LOT more effort put into optimizing weapon switches, as accessing the screen each time is time consuming. This was particularly evident in magma man and jewel man's stages, as well as wily 1 and 2. There were a lot of places where weapons were switched without need, costing time. In addition, the play style eroded significantly near the end, with the last few wily stages being played in a mediocre manner. There were plenty of times in wily where the runner was fiddling around the menu, trying to figure out what he wanted.

I'm also wondering about the decision to use gather bolts and purchase the mystery tank, as the runner had weapons in his arsenal that could defeat the 2nd form of the wily 2 boss without the need to refill the weapons and gathering bolts, which may have cost more time. I'm not sure about this though, but that's the way it seemed.

The game is fairly difficult, but the play at the end was not top notch.

Can I vote 'meh'?

Quote:
The run is a little sloppy and not nearly as polished as I hoped it would be, but for a single-segment, new-game run, I think that this run is barely passable.

On another note, I think that real-time should be used instead of the in-game timer so that people can't jack around on the weapon-select screen.  I know that this probably isn't the popular mentality, though.

Quote:
The run is pretty alright.
I say alright for a few reasons.

-the Runner does some tricks that benefit him but some of the basics don't seem to work out well enough.
He seems too stringent with his C. Shot ammo in wily 3 - 4. he has to use the M can before Wily anyway, cause of the Tornado Lack, so why not use more C. Shot in wily 3 against some of the cannons?

-There are some sloppy mistakes, I feel that the runner could preformed a little better, and not so cautiously. Like for example, having to pick up the Energy bit in hornet man's stage.

-The runner doesn't hit galaxy man as soon as he is able and thus has slower fights. Galaxy man can be hit just slightly before he actually appears. This allows for more damage within that short time (about at least 1 more shot in!)

-The first iteration of the flower boss went badly, it took WAYYY to long by any standard, I felt this was the low point of the run, and it didn't recover momentum from this point.

Overall; I don't think this run is quite the right material, there were too many bad moments and the wait in wily 2 to take damage to avoid the spike when he had the spike guard still was just ugh!
He didn't use the spike guard and shouldn't have held up there at all.

I see this run as improveable, by at least 30 seconds with maybe a few more tries.

Rejected.

Quote:
This run is poorly conceived, poorly planned, and poorly executed -- it is definitely not up to SDA's standards. The quality of gameplay is mediocre from the very beginning and only declines afterwards. Some of the strategies used in the levels really puzzled me; it seemed as if the runner was playing with safety as his first priority and speed as his second.

Much of the run didn't seem to have any strategy at all, the runner just seemed to wing it. I can honestly say that I literally did a couple of the levels faster the very first time I played
the game.

Considering the game has been out for just one month, this is a good effort, but certainly isn't acceptable. I think that at least another 90 seconds should be knocked off before a run is accepted.

Decision: Rejected

Reason: If you read all of the verifier responses, you will see that reviews were very mixed. Some liked the run, some thought it was just good enough to be passed, and others thought it was too sloppy. Mixed reviews usually are not a good sign of a run's quality. Furthermore, Mega Man 9 is a very popular game, so if this run was posted, I'm sure there would be flamers/haters/trolls who would go "this run sucks blahblahblah", and that's never good for SDA's reputation.

Also, I think this verifier quote sums up the run pretty well.

Quote:
The first iteration of the flower boss went badly, it took WAYYY to long by any standard, I felt this was the low point of the run, and it didn't recover momentum from this point.
Thread title:  
Just a request, if anyone does a single-segment...or ANY kind of MM9 run, PLEASE save after each stage.  Mike said it's ok in an SS as long as you don't load from it, and it would make it more helpful to verifiers (to compare if something cost a lot of time or not, compared to their own or others' attempts and times for the stage...etc.)

And no I didn't get a chance to finish watching / give comments on that run :P, Mike had like 50 verifiers I think lol.
Visually Appealing
Quote:
The first thing I noticed about the run was that there could have been a LOT more effort put into optimizing weapon switches, as accessing the screen each time is time consuming. This was particularly evident in magma man and jewel man's stages, as well as wily 1 and 2. There were a lot of places where weapons were switched without need, costing time. In addition, the play style eroded significantly near the end, with the last few wily stages being played in a mediocre manner. There were plenty of times in wily where the runner was fiddling around the menu, trying to figure out what he wanted.

this actually doesn't hurt the runner at all really, as time doesn't count on the pause menu.
Quote from xXAlucard:
Just a request, if anyone does a single-segment...or ANY kind of MM9 run, PLEASE save after each stage.
That depends... does the timer run at the save screen?

'cause if it does, I guarantee I won't be doing this.  And I may not do it anyway since I advocate using real time and this would obviously cost more than just hitting Stage Select.

In fact, if we are going to use the in-game clock, it might help us if we knew exactly where the clock doesn't run and apply time penalties as such for excessive crap.  Time Attack gives us some good examples, but obviously it doesn't show everything.  Basically, I'd really like to know if Stage Select, saving, and the shop cost any time.  The shop, especially, is a point of concern just because of Roll's blabbermouth.
Quote from Master ZED:
Basically, I'd really like to know if Stage Select, saving, and the shop cost any time.  The shop, especially, is a point of concern just because of Roll's blabbermouth.

AFAIK, none of those things waste time.
Quote from Satoryu:
Quote:

this actually doesn't hurt the runner at all really, as time doesn't count on the pause menu.

Maybe, but it'll be an annoying chore to add that little bit of extra irritation you don't need.
Edit history:
Greenalink: 2008-10-26 11:31:22 am
DS Dictator
Remember coRd's demostration video (the one where he used the Mystery Tank on Splash Woman's Stage).
He went to the shop for nearly every stage and still got sub 24 (23:16).
This proves that going to the shop DOESN'T add to your In-Game time after the credits.

Edit: I did notice the new reply before this was posted.

For those who don't know:

The moment that your game time increases is when:
* You are in control with Megaman.

The In-Game timer freezes when:
* Weapon Select screen
* Level complete menu (Continue, Stage Select, Title, Save)
* Getting a new Weapon
* A boss introduction during gameplay.
* Stage Select
* Shop screen.
* Picking up an Energy Pellet or Weapon Capsule (thanks Lord_VG)

That's all I know of.
So pausing the game for a long time deciding what to do doesn't affect In-game time. Pause spamming (using the wrong weapon & you got to change it does though).
Fucking Weeaboo
It also stops when you collect an energy refill (weapon energy included).
DS Dictator
Thanks Lord_VG, I've just fixed it.
I'm the guy who complains yet never submits XD
It stops on on screen transitions as well.
Visually Appealing
Quote from JDHyatt:
It stops on on screen transitions as well.

no it doesn't.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Does anyone have any idea who did this run?
pretty much everyone does, yeah.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from The_Quiet_Man:
Does anyone have any idea who did this run?

No.  No idea at all.  Tongue
Complete. Global. Saturation.
I haven't been following everything related to this game damn it Angry
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Chris 'Satoryu' Kirk's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
post my name with these (xX Alucard), maybe I'll start a new trend :).

- OK LISTEN PEOPLE, FROM NOW ON, EVEN IF ITS ANOTHER SS OF MM9....PLEASE...PLEASE SAVE AFTER EACH STAGE!  It doesn't cost ANY time against you, and reallllyyyy helps verifiers compare individual levels (compared to their own or OTHER runs, not just previous attempts.)  It's very difficult to compare otherwise, since trying to sorta manually time it but cut out going to the menu and shit is really hard to call. -

Short Answer (so you don't have to go through all my comments...=)...): Adequate (Borderline acceptable)  - I think if the other verifiers also pass, or barely pass it, you should probably post it, because it'll encourage the shit out of people to beat it.

*Video Quality: The quality is fine, sound is synced and shit, no cheating.*

*General Run Comments: (I'm not writing a book and putting shit about each stage, fuck that shit)

- please fucking jump at the start of every stage...pretty please?  Yeah it's a tiny bit of time saved, but all you have to fucking do is hit jump + a direction when the stage starts.  there is no difficulty in this, I promise you I could figure out a way to do it with my penis.

-  in the very first stage (splash) you jump around that first edge like a pro (when you switch screens.)  then, pretty much the rest of the game, you almost never edge jump again...at all.  why?????  did you give up edge jumping for lent or something?  i mean I can understand some places where it might be a little dangerous for a bare improvement in time, but the ENTIRE GAME?  even the rest of splash you had almost NO edge jumping after that first one, and that's the VERY FIRST STAGE!!!
*edge jumping THROUGHOUT the game could save at least 30 sec, although I estimate closer to 45 sec or above.  THAT'S JUST EDGE JUMPING!
*I know people will probably try to argue this, but I'll run the game myself if I have to in order to prove it.  edge jumping gives you MOMENTUM which as a whole keeps you moving where you want to move.  On splash alone at least a few seconds would be saved JUST from edge jumping, JUST ON THAT STAGE.  I've done the stage enough to be able to tell how much time missing those edge jumps cost, and just walking off the edges constantly adds the fuck up.  the reason it's so annoying to me is because its such a simple thing to edge jump, yet you just...almost never do it...

- same goes for jumping off ladders, it's like the only time you jump off them is when your going for another ladder or a higher platform in one jump.  JUMP OFF THEM ALL DAMN IT! IT SAVES FUCKING TIME!  YOU JUST HIT THE JUMP BUTTON + DIRECTION, IT'S WORTH IT!

- learn how to hold the controller a different way, aka CLAW.  you're really slow whenever you want to call + jump off rush, or do anything that involves jumping or the menu simultaneously.  personally I use my left thumb for the left thumbstick, then my right index finger for the menu button, right middle finger for the shoot button, and right third finger for jump.  (On the 360)  yes, it was weird as hell to get used to.  but I'm able to consistently, easily, control jumping and whatever else I need to do at the same time.  you can't just use your thumb for both buttons and be able to do it quickly....I'm sure someone can out there, but that someone's not you.

- practice ALL the stages, and WATCH THE TIME ATTACKS for them.  it was obvious in Magma Man you had almost no practice, or didn't watch AKA's run at least.  (check it here:  )  obviously I'm not talking about timing mistakes, since it's a one hit death with the lasers and that's understandable in an SS...but it's like your whole route is flawed, and there's no reason for it to be any different than the time attack route.  like you refill your CONCRETE at the energy refill for some reason (?) (18:43), and then choose to use B BOMB for the dragon mini boss??!  why the fuck did you do that?  even in Wily, you used the right weapon (concrete) when the dragon came out.  i just....have a hard time understanding your thought process there, and it seems like you just gunned it as though you had no practice ( Wink )

- plan better with the screws.  you should only need 50 for the m tank, and you had 24 at the end of jewel man.  you don't need an e tank, there's really no excuse.  especially when you're guaranteed to start the final boss with full HP.  the fact that you ended up using that e tank on final boss phase 1 shows how much of a waste it was, since you should've practiced that shit enough to be able to easily do it without getting hit (i can every time...it's really not hard once you learn the right way to spam it.)  going out of your way for some of them really wasted time, like in magma man.
*grab the 20 screw in plug man from the LEFT side (you go under and then back for it from the RIGHT for some reason.)  *grab the 20 in hornet man by the plant shooting thing.  yup, that's just two 20 screws that you should be grabbing, which cost almost no time.  for the other ten, just watch your screw count through the menu, and depending on your luck, pause shortly when you see an enemy drop a screw or possibly just kill enemies you were skipping and grab them that way.  you had 8 of the 10 screws in your own run without even trying to get them, while skipping many small screws that were dropped near you...so you don't have to be insanely lucky to get the other 10 without going out of your way.

- learn how the fuck to fight plug man.  actually, learn how to use concrete shot in the stage (this is where CLAWING comes in, jumping and concreting simultaneously).  here's trevor's run: 

STUFF I LIKED:

*Amazing fucking plant mini boss fights, all of them.  you got some shitty-ass luck, but made up for it big time.

*Good Wily 1 boss, i think i'm figuring out what the optimal route is by tweaking the way you did it in the run.

*Great Wily 2 boss.

*Good final boss phase 3, made it a little exciting, though it would've been more exciting if you didn't use that first e tank on the fucking ping pong ball phase 1.

*Generally the run is solid

Overall there aren't that many mistakes throughout the stages...but there are some pretty shitty routes that he used in some.  If he wasn't sure what a good route was for a certain level, he should've done some research or something. I mean cord & vixy have their 23 min all clear runs out there, you just have to factor out the extra items they use, which isn't hard.  Also, while MOST of the boss fights are generally *good*, there are a bunch that can use work.  splash woman sucked, he's gotta learn the optimal way to take damage and spam her with the buster...i mean this is fucking stage 1 after all.  (i'll reply to the v thread eventually with a yt of something i come up with.)  plug man seems to be scary for him since he's afraid or doesn't know how to jump and spam jewel on him.  (even if he jumps, if you start off jumping when he happens to, your j satellite should connect.)  (LEARN TO CLAW FOR THIS ;)! )  he can guarantee magma man in 4 tornados, it involves starting off (claw) jumping and tornado'ing, then canceling a tiny bit late on the 3rd one (i think?  when he's moving from bottom center I believe.)  i'll have to test it some more to give a definite answer, but i'm pretty sure i know it works, because the little animated tornado hits him in mid air when the auto-damage does, doing double damage.  wily 3 boss is somewhat understandable, but practice (and clawing) can make people consistent with the b-bomb spamming...practice, practice, practice ;)!

oh and his wily 4 route sucked balls, i have no idea why he took damage through most of the lasers vs concreting them.  he could've at least concreted more of them (he even had extra energy after galaxy man without a refill....did someone not practice this? Wink ).  and his final boss phase 1 sucked big juicy balls, like you ever have warheads when you were a kid?  man...i miss those...but kinda sucked like those.

i'll pass it though; but i'm barely passing it. it's not a bad run...it's just...adequate.  that's the best way i can describe it.  it juuuust makes it to a pass :P.  work on your routes Sat, cause your gameplay quality is decent but the routes just suck huge Giant's balls for the most part.

Quote:
And away we go...

Overall the run is rather solid.  Single Segment New Game isn't easy, and the time on this is very impressive (compared to New Game+ times that start with 999 screws).  The choice of screws to obtain is good, and in general most things were good.  Notes of improvables/annoying things follow:

1)  There were quite a few times where the runner sat on the Pause menu for a while to decide what weapon to use.  Rather annoying at times.  I know this doesn't count against them (like another verifier, I believe real time would be a MUCH better choice than in-game), but it's annoying.

2)  Dragon fights were rather sloppy.  Both required two passes, and weren't very pretty.

3)  Runner canceled a couple of weapons early by pausing (notably a black hole on the Twin Devils).  Against that boss it didn't cost much time since he couldn't do one cycle even without cancelling that, but still...

Overall, individual level times are pretty solid.  You might still get some flamers saying "This run sux", but I'd accept, as this isn't going to be easy to improve and is high quality.

Quote:
I'll keep the comments brief here -- This run is passable. There are a few stop-and-go moments which sort of drove me crazy, but I don't think it actually wasted a lot of time. At first, I thought this run could be improved by over a minute in order to be considered just solid, but then, it's hard to get a sense of timing in Mega Man 9.. I think a solid time would probably be around 24:10, so this run isn't too far off. It's not anything special, but it's acceptable.

Quote:
Hey Mike

Both the Video & sound qualities are good.

Now here are my opinions on the game play quality.
The runner didn’t cheat.

Splash Woman: Jumping over 2 octopuses without any problems.
The bubble section was done well with a good & easier method to pass the second screen quickly.
Sadly lost a second before jumping out of the water, it is possible to jump and get out of the water
0.5>1 second before the drill bot appears. The boss battle went ok and beaten her quickly before she sings for the 3rd time.

Concrete Man:
The events before the big screw went ok and no major errors were made.
After getting the big screw, he was shooting the Laser Trident too much that only 2/3 hits were made before the cannon blasts a ball hitting Megaman and losing around a second.
Some bad luck during Concrete Man’s battle (the enemy jumped instead of shooting 3 concrete shots).

Galaxy Man:
The skill was really good, although he didn’t do the risky portal shortcut near the end (it’s understandable since, messing it up will be slower than the safe route).
The boss battle was a bit different like Concrete Man he doesn’t start off his usual pattern which put the player off by surprise. He missed 2 shots but fortunately it was going for 1 extra hit so it’s around 0.5 seconds loss.

Jewel Man:

Missed a vital shot in the first spider room costing him a few seconds by waiting for them to fall down nearby so he can destroy them.
After the mid-boss and the first swing he jumps just too early to reach the upper platform and destroying the enemy at the same time. So he had to jump again, 0.5 seconds lost.
The last main room filled with enemies, I would use Black hole bomb, it should stop the spiders falling down onto you. But only do it if you have enough energy (12 pixels units = 3 shots = quick Jewel Man kill).

Plug Man:

The small mistake at the vanishing platform section actually doesn’t matter too much since they only appear by the level’s total time (not the in-room game time), if it did then it wasn’t a major time loss.
The last main screen with enemies has a notable mistake:
The pogo spring bot can be defeated with 4 C.Shots very quickly unlike the Laser Trident you don’t need to delay caused by the enemy’s temporary invulnerability time with C.Shot. The player used Laser Trident which is a no no but even worse he gets hits and when he passes it he turns around quickly and destroys it. The loss is around 2.5>4 seconds.

Tornado Man:
This one was played well and few minor mistakes but still good, the notable loss was the boss battle as he was rising up after the 2nd last hit. He waited until he descends (which was quick) but could be defeated with a mid-air B.Hole Bomb.

Magma Man:
Loss a second on the big screw room, but it wasn’t major.
The notable error was the Dragon battle, he just failed to finish it in a single cycle. So he had to reach the right half and hit him with a C.Shot for the last blow. He lost around 4>6 seconds on this.
The rest went ok with a few minor mistakes but the problem was solved quickly. The Magma Man battle went good but wasn’t lucky with the “2 hit by a Single T.Blow” trick. He did defeat it quickly though.

Hornet Man:

If he wasn’t sure with C.Shot on the mine truck bot why didn’t he used: P.Ball followed by J. Satellite for protection afterwards? This would prevent Mega Man from taking damage too.
Clock Flower can be improved from where it was by taking damage from one of its petals (face left to damage boost to the right) and then go close to it and shoot 5 C.Shots to destroy it quickly. Lost around 7 seconds here.
The long room was interesting but it’s hard to tell if running through without the jet is faster than using the jet. Although he was a bit too high nears the end of the room losing him a second.
The last main room with enemies, after using R.Coil he used L. Trident to defeat that pot. It would be faster to use P.Ball since the enemy was on the ground and can be used whilst in mid-air.
Hornet Man was defeated quickly without any notable slowdown although you can deal more damage if you were at a certain distance between each other (since going too close is equivalent to 2 Charged Shots on the boss).

Wily 1:
There were some interesting tricks that are good alternatives and useful for the Single Segment run like using R. Jet over the spike and collecting the 1up afterwards.
But oh, oh. The Dragon was defeated in 2 cycles again poor aiming with the C.Shot and needs practise too, the B.Bomb will be useful for that since it doesn’t have much use in the first 3 Wily Levels unlike the C.Shot where it can be used for good shortcuts.
He messes up the first Lava beam room and had to wait to be active again. So he lost around 5 seconds or more for that.
An unexpected Big weapon capsule drop before the boss entry could have been used to fill up T.Blow or C.Shot.
The boss battle is difficult to judge for some reason, loads of weapon changing and no in-game time between the Wily levels. However the battle looked good and was done well.

Wily 2:
In the 4th Screen of this level a faster way to get through is C.Shot instead of the Jet.
You’ll need to take damage from those Green eyeballs to C.Shot through the first set of spikes.
A little minor mistake at the first fake block screen but still fast.
The precise jump trick looks interesting and looks faster than collecting extra big screws for 1 shock guard.
Oh dear Clock plant was defeated in 2 cycles as well. Lost around 7 seconds for that.
After the last water room he used 2 Hornet chasers on the ladder, it’s faster to use Magma Bazooka (Mazooka for short) and use it during the jump.
The first tall ladder screen this is when you’ll regret wasting C.Shot ammo and he could have used on to jump up to the next screen quicker.
There was a bad mistake at 31:10 where he tried to take down 2 orange/brown UFOs but he got hit and fell off, losing 3 seconds.

It’s better to hold up and left so that when you reach to the top you’ll get hit but move a bit to the right. You won’t fall off the ladder too so it’s a nice trick.

The shark battle went well. It’s interesting that the first M Tank was used here.
The runner met the boss’ cycle target on each phase.

Wily 3:
First screen was interesting since it reach to the other side quickly but the next screen advances quicker when you exit the first screen as high as possible so he had to wait and used R. Coil to jump. It’s just faster to use R. Jet and to go up and right. Until you reach to the other side you’ll jump and exit the second screen very fast too.
The last main room went well and lucky with the weapon capsule pickups. The pickups could have been used for T.blow for Magma’s Man rematch saving a few seconds.

This boss is possible to defeat it in a single cycle but it’s rock hard to achieve it and at this part of the run its not going to be likely. He paused the game twice with poor timing because the bomb didn’t set off and wasted 8 units of energy (2 shots) however he did get 2 hits on the first cycle and 3 hits on the second cycle making 1>2 seconds slower overall (average times for 2 cycle kills).

Wily 4:
The boss re-match was planned with especially the M tank since C.Shot is vital for Wily’s Phase 2 form. At around 39:10 you’ll notice a single/uncharged Mazooka shot that deal 3 damage points instead of the usual 2. If this happened with Hornet Man you can defeat him really quickly before summoning his 2nd batch of hornets.

Wily Battle, Phase 1

Ouch the biggest loss in the whole run. Too many failed returns that almost loss 25 seconds. But this is Mega Man and an single segment run... you’ll make new time savers and make new mistakes.

Phase 2 was done really quick and made up for the big loss in the first phase.

Phase 3: It was bizarre that he didn’t use R.Coil to reach the higher ones and then use a P.Ball followed by a B.Bomb for protection from the Wily’s weapons. Again this is luck based too; the least number of cycles you get to defeat it is 3.
Trivia: During his 1 second appearance it’s possible to damage him still with perfect timing.

The run was good and was planned really well. The only improvements are the mini-boss notably:
Fire Dragon and Clock Flower.
Dr.Wily (all 3 phases) are just luck based that some future, published runs will have it done faster or even slower.

The tricks (Mega Coil jump) were not screwed up too.

Score: (8.2/10)

Many thanks:
A verifier

Quote:
The runner doesn't jump off ledges and doesn't jump at the top of ladders, which is annoying to watch.

There were some spots in which he probably could have activated R. Coil sooner than he did.

There are a retarded amount of mistakes and hesitations in this run.  Overall, though, the run is passable.

Accept.

Quote:
I'd love to give it an accept, but I'm not quite sure that I can.  There were a few mistakes that just made it look bad.

First, the enemies in Jewel Man's stage didn't appear to cooperate too much.  Unfortunately, that appeared to slow stuff down, along with generally looking sloppy.

Next problem was in Magma Man's stage.  The runner misses his last BHB against the dragon miniboss, and has to resort to concrete shot on the dragons next pass.  Again, doesn't look too nice, and costs time.

Wily I was the low point of the run IMO.  The runner misses the jump onto the lava column, and has to wait for it to thaw before he can continue.  Really doesn't look that good.

Final major problem was the first phase of the Wily fight.  Looks sloppy, misses too much, and takes a lot of damage.

Ultimately, I have to give a reject on this one.  I don't like it, because there were some nice places, like the Wily I boss battle, but the negatives are a bit to strong.  Sorry.

Quote:
Well; this is a well played run.
Minor errors on both dragons. First one is done a little sloppy, just cause of some bad aim. The second the c-shot quick kill failed.
Everything else was done well, the slight minor steps before the crazy jumps in wily 2 were expected since that jump is a pain to make.
All bosses are handled quite quickly. Only complaints were on the 2 wasted BHB's on the devil in wily 3. That was some unfortunate bad luck with pausing (jumping the gun). Nice tricks handled, and some new things (c.shot in wily 1 2nd room to skip the tblow) and everything was well done.
the flowers were 2 rounded.

Just damn good playing, I can't say no to this. Sure there are minor mistakes but were handled and fixed as best as they could be (still 2 rounded devil with the quick bhbs)

Approved

Decision: Accept

Reason: There are some ugly-looking mistakes in the run (Dragon fights, Wily 1 lava pillar, Wily's first form), but overall verifiers thought the runner did a good job of executing most of the time savers, and the good outweighs the bad. I expect this run to be improved in the near future, but it's a good start for now.
Visually Appealing
xX Alucard's response reminds me how good of an idea it would be to include the runner's comments with the verification copy. it could help answer some questions.

i'll attach mine below. that should clear some things up.
Attachment:
Edit history:
xXIkuto: 2008-11-06 11:37:50 pm
i also agree it would be a GOOD idea to give verifiers the comments, i have no idea why mike doesn't already (i still <3 him), guess it would have to be the official new policy.  i read the comments (which are nice Smiley ), but it didn't clear up much for me :-\.

like, why you used b-bomb on the 1st dragon.  the extra cycles on it wasn't what got me, just the fact that you used b-bomb instead of concrete. (????)

also i still think you can just get 2 big screws and enough random little screws (paying attention to amount in weapon menu every now and then) for that one m tank.  it's not really an excuse to need an e-tank because the final boss is tough.  you proved in your own run that it's not that difficult to take damage and go from phase 2 to phase 3 without an e tank.  his first phase isn't random and all you gotta do is go to the wily 4 time attack and practice it, because all it takes is getting used to timing how to spam buster on the balls.

i also still don't know why you didn't edge jump virtually at all, or jumped off -every- ladder, or chose the wily 4 STAGE route (not boss route, the laser up to the drop to the boss, route), which is obviously wrong because of your extra energy after galaxy man.  you shouldn't need any "safety" energy or something either, as it's a defined number of hits on him and just takes a bit of practice in wily 4 :).

I passed it for a reason, it's generally solid.  but there sure as hell is more than a minute that can be improved in an SS, without max luck. (taken from your comments)

P.S - mike would you please make this another thread instead of page 2.  quit being a sneaky beaver, you know that giving it it's own thread is BETTER damn it Tongue

oh and *edit*, mike made me realize that it's more like 20 sec, somewhere in between there, that would be saved from constant edge jumping.  not like the 30 - 45 i made it sound, though of course i'm not definite on it.  but def at least around 20 sec
Quote from xXAlucard:
i also agree it would be a GOOD idea to give verifiers the comments, i have no idea why mike doesn't already (i still <3 him), guess it would have to be the official new policy.  i read the comments (which are nice Smiley ), but it didn't clear up much for me :-\.

Yes, I've been told this before. The only reason why I don't do it is because I'm lazy. Just so you know, comments are always available upon request, unless if Spider-Waffle did the run (low blow, I know).

Quote:
P.S - mike would you please make this another thread instead of page 2.  quit being a sneaky beaver, you know that giving it it's own thread is BETTER damn it Tongue

If enough people complain, I can turn this into a separate thread. The verification topic is still young.
Visually Appealing
Quote from xXAlucard:
like, why you used b-bomb on the 1st dragon.  the extra cycles on it wasn't what got me, just the fact that you used b-bomb instead of concrete. (????)

to conserve Concrete Shot ammo. using it on the Dragon and all the pillars afterwards, you only have 2 left over for mistakes.

Quote from xXAlucard:
also i still think you can just get 2 big screws and enough random little screws (paying attention to amount in weapon menu every now and then) for that one m tank.  it's not really an excuse to need an e-tank because the final boss is tough.  you proved in your own run that it's not that difficult to take damage and go from phase 2 to phase 3 without an e tank.  his first phase isn't random and all you gotta do is go to the wily 4 time attack and practice it, because all it takes is getting used to timing how to spam buster on the balls.

i planned on getting and using the E Can from the very beginning. i planned on taking damage on phase 2, and was going to take more damage on 3. doing that fight without the E Can in a single segment was a little too rich for my blood then. and it still is now.

Quote from xXAlucard:
i also still don't know why you didn't edge jump virtually at all, or jumped off -every- ladder,

i underestimated how much time it actually saved. sue me.

Quote from xXAlucard:
or chose the wily 4 STAGE route (not boss route, the laser up to the drop to the boss, route), which is obviously wrong because of your extra energy after galaxy man.  you shouldn't need any "safety" energy or something either, as it's a defined number of hits on him and just takes a bit of practice in wily 4 :).

aiming CS on most of those lasers is difficult. i can't do those without having to slow down.

i don't think you realize the randomness that occurs in single segment. sometimes you have to take precautionary measures because mistakes can and will happen. like how i took my time on the tricky jumps in Wily 2. i am not Wasuremono, and i am not trying to be him. if you want to try, be my guest.

the audio commentary will probably clear more things up. i won't post that here, though. it's a huge WAV file. wait for the run to be published.
Fucking Weeaboo
Congrats, Satoryu.  Smiley