List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MegaMan9.html

Steven 'Master ZED' Ellis's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
We're finally seeing a very good Mega Man 9 run. There are some strategic decisions that I don't agree with, and I believe the time can be pulled down to under 22, but this is a very, VERY solid run. Wholeheartedly accepted.

Quote:
[19:26] <xxalucard> Comments: xx alucard (YEA BABY NO ANON BITCH)
[19:26] <xxalucard> this run just fucked the previous run, hardcore style, in the ass
[19:26] <xxalucard> Accept

Quote:
Mike,

With regards to the new Mega Man 9 submission, it passes inspection.  No signs of cheating, and the game is the 5th fastest run ever on the Wii boards...

With 0 screws

In a SS run.

The run owns.  Yes, there's a couple of small mistakes, but nothing to write home about.  Accept.

Quote:
This run is better than the current run by a retarded degree.  Gleefully accept.

Quote:
Nothing short of amazing. xXAlucard said it best: this run fucks the original in the ass. It's played superbly. And it got on the Top Ten. That's reason enough to accept it, really.

I was unsure about the route change at first. But after actually seeing it in practice, the time saved in Jewel and Plug makes up for the time lost in Hornet in spades.

ZED has already pointed out the major mistakes in his comments (all of which are forgivable. Even the ones early on, as they're pretty minor), so I can just focus on things I disagree with or question.

- Throughout the run, he sometimes doesn't jump on Rush Coil as quickly as possible. There are a few instances where he jumps too high.

- at 6:52 the Rush Coil up to the Mettaur could have been used earlier, and could've avoided having to wait for the bullets to get out of the way.
- I'm not sure about how he handled the room at 7:13. Using a RC might be better. And he missed an opportunity to refill Concrete Shot.
- He didn't use the shortcut with CS at the end of Galaxy Man's stage. I now it's a really difficult trick, but if you have full CS, you could at least try.
- He needs to work on his timing for hitting Galaxy Man with 5 CSes. The Rush Coil kinda made up for the miss, though.

- The cannon rooms in Hornet Man can be done quicker.
- Is there no other weapon that can damage Hornet Man efficiently than Mazooka?

- He uses BHB too much in Jewel Man's stage. Because of this, he has to use one BHB to hit Jewel Man four times. This is slow. The delay after the second hit is too great. He should use one BHB to hit him twice, hit him twice with the second, and then finish him off with single hits. The BHBs to cut out in the stage would be the red turrets in the beginning. It would be better to Laser Trident them from afar.
- He shouldn't have turned around to get that small screw before the pendulum room for obvious reasons.
- The way he handles the third pendulum feels slow.
- I don't like the way he turns around to deal with the last few spiders.

- When fighting Plug Man, isn't it better to get as close to him as possible? He takes the safe route by shooting the JS from afar, which looks slower.

- At 19:31, there was no reason to stop moving forward while waiting for the BHB.
- He seemed a little hesitant on the final room in Tornado Man's stage.

- BHB at 21:41 seems better, because you don't have to stop moving forward.
- The BHB at the end of this Changkey Dragon fight seems unnecessary. He has enough CS to spare.
- At 22:51 he should've used JS to avoid the totem's fire. There was no need to use CS on the lava jump.
- He needs to refine his timing for the magma lasers. He needs to freeze them earlier so he can run under them.

- He missed an opportunity to refill Tornado Blow in Wily 1.
- I think the TB at 27:12 could be saved for somewhere else.
- Mazooka seems like the best way to start out the fight in Wily 1.

- There's a sound hiccup at 29:01. I assume that's from editing out a pause.
- At 29:48, he should've used BHB on the mine.
- It took 3 phases on the Shark tail. Why didn't he move forward while fighting him?
- If he had refilled TB eariler with the random drop, he would've had two TBs left over for later on, which could've helped with the turrets in Wily 3.

- He should've activated Jewel Satellite at 34:20 to avoid the slowdown caused by the Mets.

Wily 4 is where I have the most complaints.
- I don't think CS is worth using on the lasers if you have to slow down to use CS. The two lasers in a row come to mind. It would also allow more leeway for Galaxy Man.
- Speaking of which, it was completely unnecessary to start using other weapons on him. He should've just used the M Can when he ran out of ammo.
- Either way, he should've used the M Can before Jewel Man, for reasons stated before.
- Splash Woman could have been beaten a little quicker.
- He could've been a little more aggressive on Wily phase 2.
- His Wily phase 3 fight is disgusting. He focused too much on trying to Rush Coil up to Wily. There was zero use of Hornet Chaser to get at least some damage; he had a few empty frames, like the one at 40:49.

Despite all that, an improvement is an improvement, especially when it's over 2 minutes worth. I accept this run, and hope ZED goes for #4 sometime in the future, cause it can be reached very easily. For him, anyway. To throw anonymity out the window, I know my limits. Under 23 minutes is beyond what I can do. You are an exponentially better player than me. So it's WAY out of my reach.

Quote:
The sound and picture quality are both fine although I do notice some small wobbling (is it the 1-pixel Bob?) throughout the video (especially the logo screens at the very start of the video).

The game play:
A significant improvement over the previous run and a interesting change in the Robot Master order.

It might be a controversial but it seems to pay off here are my pro and cons of each order choice:

The former run was:
Jewel Man after Galaxy Man:
The main advantages were:
Defeating 7/8 bosses with a weakness (Splash Woman was defeated by M.Buster not H.Chaser)
The disadvantages were:
Jewel Man’s mini boss is slightly slower unless a player times the pause button right to know Stone Head’s position before shooting some B.Bombs, the chance of Stone Head falling to the ground early is less likely than Hornet Chaser
Because Jewel Man was the 4th Boss it also meant that the player had to go through Plug Man without the aid of Rush Jet.

The new run shows:
Hornet Man after Galaxy Man (then Jewel Man as the 5th level)
The main advantages were:
Defeating Stone Head even quicker now thanks to a reliable weapon (Hornet Chaser)
Since Jewel Man was the 5th Boss, the player gains Rush Jet to use on Plug Man’s stage.

The only disadvantage was:
A longer battle against Hornet Man himself because the lack of M.Bazooka (usually with the weapon you can defeat Hornet Man before he sends in his 2nd squad of Hornets, here you see Hornet Man sending in 3 squads of Hornets). Fortunately with the aid of B.Bomb to remove the hornets quickly it seems like the time gained from both Jewel Man and Plug Man made the route a bit faster by a few In-Game time seconds.
Now here comes the level reviews:

Splash Woman
(1:34) You can save around 0.5 seconds if you jump just before Tropish appears on the screen.
(1:55) I can see what the player was doing but it’s a hard time saver that saves minimal amount of seconds.
The boss battle: Whoa, 0 damage and the player finishes her quickly too. That’s a good start to the run.

Concrete Man
The whole level (other than the 3rd Elephant) before the boss battle was well played and done quickly too.
Here’s the first main mistake: Getting hit by concrete 
The player does jump but not high enough to hit the concrete too. The player can avoid it if he goes to the left side of the wall and jump so he is above the concrete block as he descends. Other than that it was defeated quite quickly.

Galaxy Man:
(7:14) I was curious why the player goes to the left until I realise that the Petit Devil does take quite a while to go to the left for the player to get through by R.Coil (referring to the previous run).
(7:44) Nice R.Coil jump.
(8:11) Not performing the risky shortcut then...

Galaxy Man  battle: An unlucky start (flies off and shoots a B.Bomb) but at 8:40 had good use with R.Coil to save an invaluable second.

Hornet Man:
(10:00) Taking damage when facing right made Megaman go to the left, it looks like a small mistake but Megaman gains control on the next screen which nearly touches the mid-air wall before touching the ground.
(10:13) 1 “1” Button too short... The player lost a couple of seconds due to waiting for the flower to appear in another spot.
The boss battle was defeated quickly thanks to B.Bomb which made Hornet Man defenceless.

Jewel Man:
(13:30) Stone head was defeated really quickly but his starting position was from the far left. So the player lost around 2 seconds to reach to the other side after defeating it.
* The last main room was done quite quickly without any major stopping and saving some C.Shot to get pass Big Stomper.
The boss battle:  Obviously very good.

Plug Man:
(15:58) Whoa.. Taking a big risk here which does pay off!
The blackout room with the hidden platforms was an obvious improvement thanks to R.Jet that there wasn’t even a detour with the weapon capsule when old runs were using J. Satellite
(17:03ish) Hornet Chaser is a good idea to save B.Bomb ammo for the next screen.
(17:06) Nice time saver here.
(17:15) A little bit sloppy (shooting 1 extra C.Shot) then to use it as a platform to jump over Big Stomper. It’s hard to tell at the moment which strat is faster but the platform method requires less C.Shot ammo.

The boss battle was quite fast as the player risks releasing the Jewel barrier and hoping for the best (which did as well).
Tornado Man:
(18:53) If luck goes well with the pickups from enemies you can:
Jump off, pause and un pause to make R.Jet disappear (Save some energy), switch to L.Trident to take down BalloonBoo which is near by the next screen, switch to Hornet Chaser to save Megaman Jumping to the other side and switch to R.Jet before collecting it.
The rest of the level went fine (for a good run strat before the boss battle this level is the easiest).

The boss battle was quite unlucky because Tornado Man went up to the ceiling and at one time in mid-air for a few seconds. With good thinking the player used J. Satellite since it was higher than P,Ball.

Magma Man:
A good run before the boss room. The Chankey Dragon had a small mistake but was dealt in a single cycle. The nature of the Magma falls in the last main screen doesn’t give the player a lot of pressure (since the 5th Magma fall cannot be passed with only C.Shot) which is a good thing.
The boss battle was slightly unlucky that there wasn’t the “2 hits from the Single T.Blow glitch”.

Wily Castle 1:
(25:29) Interesting choice here, it saves a T.blow but uses R.Jet
The 3rd screen was quite clever since the player hasn’t used T.blow at all and collected a weapon capsule on R.Jet.
(27:10) I’m a bit concerned about using T.Blow here. R.Jet could be as a good alternative but slightly slower.

The spike turrets were defeated quickly and never used T.Blow.
P.Ball looks like the reliable “Super effective” weapon to me, although he did get hit a few (1-2) times it was only 2 seconds lost.

Wily Castle 2:
The pre-Clock Flower room can be done without R.Jet (yes I know you “player” was nervous at this point of the run).
The underwater section before the leap of faith room was good too.
I’ve noticed that the player was also nervous at 30:05. A good way to practise is to get the Tropish to appear and get hit from it so you can jump to the upper section without any worry from the ceiling spikes. This bit to the pre-boss room went good. Another small error was at 30:25 where Megaman took the top route where you could save small time from the bottom route.

The use of T.blow before the pre-boss room was bizarre since: you could use L.Trident to get rid of the 2 UFOs from the right and then defeat Big Stomper with Mazooka. The wall turret enemy should miss you. Saving a T.Blow could have saved a few seconds on the boss battle (the Shark’s mid phase).
The Shark boss battle went good. The first phase was defeated on the 3rd Cycle (fortunately it wasn’t really long to take from the end of cycle 2 to the start of cycle 3).
The belly section was fast and saved a T.blow for a future level.

Wily Castle 3
A very good run:
(33:42) A spare T.Blow which wasn’t used on Wily 2’s Shark Boss pays off here by removing both Uzi Joes and a jump boost before climbing on the ladder.
(34:48) With the Jewel Barrier and Uzi Joe starting to shoot, it is always safe to jump since the first 2 reflected shots & the barrier is enough to destroy it.

Twin Devil Boss: SIZZILING CIRCUITS!!! Twin Devil in a single cycle in a single segment run = EPIC WIN.

Wily Castle 4:
*Using C.Shot on all of the lasers except the first one was a wise move.
Galaxy Man refight was again unlucky, also the player used a C.Shot too early that the damage was ignored, so Megaman had to use Mazooka. The loss for this is around 5 seconds.

*Splash Woman: can be improved by mashing the 1 button a lot. That Megaman can defeat her before using her Laser Trident. Since you have 28 Hornet shots and 7 required hits to defeat her.
* Magma Man: unable to exploit the T.Blow trick and switched to Mazooka and took 3 extra seconds to defeat him.

Wily Battle:
Phase 1: Very quick, might not be perfect but a significant improvement to the previous run.
Phase 2: Another quick battle, the main reason why the player didn’t take damage is because of a lack of an E Tank.
Phase 3: Was quite quick. Huge pressure came in when Megaman was low on health. Without an E Tank I wouldn’t blame the player if s/he was playing too safe.

Possible improvements:

Performance based: Most of the things I’ve mentioned with the in-time video with brackets.                    Most notably, the risky shortcut in Galaxy Man's stage.
Luck based: Valuable weapon capsule drops for T.blow and C.Shot in the Wily Castle stages, Galaxy Man not using any B.Bombs. Dr.Wily to appear near the ground for more than 1 second and exploiting the 2 hits from a single T.Blow trick against Magma Man.

Result: Accepted
* A big improvement including
+ A better route
+ Better Wily Bosses (Twin Devil defeated in an single cycle, in a SS run is the hardest speed trick to perform).
+ No E Tank usage as well.
+ It’s in the top 10 of the Leader boards
Score : 91/100

Many thanks,
A verifier.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run beats the current run by over two minutes, and it's 5th on the leaderboards. Accepting this run is a no-brainer.

As requested, I posted a new topic for this run, as opposed to using the same board repeatedly.
Thread title:  
I don't even know what the fuck this is
Yeah, this run is pretty god damn hootin' tootin' super duper.
Fucking Weeaboo
I demand that this run be announced on the front page of every newspaper in the world.  And I haven't even seen it yet! Tongue
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Man, that last verifier was really into it. He even gave it a score.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Yeah not only was it 5th, it's competing against NG+ segmented runs, hahaha.
Hope rides alone.
congrats, cant wait to see it!
yes, an iron knuckle riding a mechanical horse
Goddamn.  Well, now I don't feel so bad about Master ZED beating me on Wily 2 time attack...
Run, you pigeons. It's Robert Frost!
Quote from Enhasa:
Yeah not only was it 5th, it's competing against NG+ segmented runs, hahaha.

Wow.  Now that's amazing.