Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2008-12-17 07:52:51 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MegaMan9.html

Steven 'Master ZED' Ellis's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
There were some minor mistakes that I expected not to see (such as missing the first jump in that room with the single swing in Jewel Man's stage), but this run is still awesome and an obvious accept.  I really enjoy seeing all of the improvements.

Quote:
Hey Mike thanks for telling me about the "What if the run B beats the current verification run" I wasn't sure how it works out. I was having difficulty with the internet  (I will never skip verification after what you told me from the reply).

The run is a good improvement from the previous run, the Robot Master fights had a notable improvement (Concrete Man's debut fight & both Magma Man fights).

There were some minor mistakes ranging from 0.5 -> 1 seconds (getting hit in Splash Woman's stage) and the most notable was Jewel Man's single swing screen.

This run is SDA bound since it's a SS run, the video shows that it was in the leader boards & a improvement to the previous verification run.

Sorry for the delay

Many thanks, a verifier.

Quote:
I have to start holding ZED to higher standards. I'm going to be very critical now, considering how high up he is.

Gameplay for the most part is as it's always been. But for some reason, the mistakes stand out more in this run. He took an avoidable hit in Splash Woman, which should've forced a reset right there. He also missed a couple shots on the first boss fight. I'm actually surprised his first save was 2:00 flat. I'm going to push him to aim for 1:59; he easily has it.

Concrete Man was fine.

I don't like the first WE pickup in Galaxy Man. And not just because he got a lucky drop immediately after. The pause in momentum it takes to get that seems to hurt more than it heals. I also don't like the way he handles the room after the first teleport puzzle. Going to the left and then right again, and pausing to kill a Devil Orb seems counterproductive. It also uses up too much CS.

Hornet Man is fine.

He uses too much BHB in Jewel Man's stage. That includes one miss, which causes him to slow down the boss fight even more. Jewel Man has the ugliest mistakes in the run. The pendulum one is very ugly. He should've stopped right there.

He messed up the big Rush Jet trip in Plug Man's stage. Which actually didn't hurt him, thanks to the 1:07 room.

When first using Rush Jet in Tornado Man, he should delay it as much as possible so he has as much energy for the first rain room as possible. He should run out of RJ when he's over the pit leading to the second rain room.

No complaints in Magma Man. It's nice to see he's got the 2hit down.

Wily 1 is alright. It's tough to judge the boss fight, though. It seems like no method is best. I still recommend Mazooka first off.

The room in Wily 2 with the mines is ugly. He should be moving forward the entire time along that stretch. Hence, he should keep two BHBs for the first mine and the last batch of mines.

The last stretch of Wily 3 could benefit from some more use of Jewel Satellite.

The boss refights are good. Phase 1 is good. Phase 2 is very uncertain, missing 2 hits early on. Phase 3 is great, though.

This is an improvement of 13 seconds compared to the run he didn't submit. And surprisingly, even though the Robot Master stages look sloppier, he was 12 seconds ahead going into the castle. His time at the time of recording was 5 seconds below 2nd place. I feel he should've kept going after this run was finished. The mistakes early on really did hurt him in that sense.

Under normal circumstances, I would have no problem with accepting this run. However, he's already said that he's beaten this time by an additional 8 seconds. Why he won't just submit that, I don't know. I feel it would be better to just wait until he submits that improvement, or outdoes himself like he undoubtedly will. I'm not rejecting the submission, I'm just suggesting not to publish this run just yet.

Quote:
me: did you ever give me a mm9 verification report?
verifier: oh, no I guess not
verifier: bonerific
verifier: that's my report
me: lol that works

Quote:
here's my comments master

yeah accept the run of course since the time pwns.

i dunno why but it looks like zed's standards fell almost into the pits of half-ass run hell.  like i mean, goddamn it zed, letting yourself get hit in splash before the boss?  c'mon now playa, it's an SS but that's just like a rookie mistake in anyone's eyes.  i was shocked as hell he didn't just restart, whether it only cost a second or not (it's something that was easily avoidable, he just fucked up killing an enemy.)  i mean stage one of an SS is supposed to be close to segmented perfect, and the only semi-tricky thing about the stage is the boss.

the 22:xx or 21:5x, maybe both....the gameplay itself was much cleaner, the strategies just weren't optimal.  now it's like you have GREAT stategies, but you're letting the gameplay be kind of half ass cause you know the strategies are gonna be fast anyway.

obviously the majority of the strategy looks good in the run and the gameplay is accept-worthy, so i think what's worth mentioning is what i didn't like:
----

*jewel man* - 14:04 till end of stage:  should have fucking RESTARTED.  the rhythm just got totally killed and you looked like a lost polar bear.

*plug man* - i had a big smile on my face when you used concrete in the first spike pit.  that smile quickly turned into a slanted smiley :-/ when i saw you puss out and wait it out on the disappearing blocks for the next pit. wtf is with the rush jet at 16:54?  my slanted smiley turned into a disappointed frown Sad.  surprisingly though you didn't puss out at all with the boss fight, which is like the only understandable puss-out point in the level.  so props for that ;-]

*magma man* - the whole stage was a puss out session.  looks like you mastered the boss though.

*wc3* - like an army of puss outs in the spiked ceiling section.

*wc4* - avoided damage on splash like touching her would infect you with herpes.

wily 1 - it was good, but you can spam like all 3 at him at once.  just hesitate a little on the first hit on the ball.  a little tricky, but makes it hella fast.  good nonetheless.

wily 2 - i understand your nerves here.  can't really complain.

wily 3 - good, but why not just have r coil ready before you even see where he is?

-fin-

Quote:
The runner demolished the current record, no cheating signs whatsoever, video quality/sound good.  Only issues seemed to be Wily 2 (due to bad luck) and a couple of random stage things early on.  It's enough to be improved, but it's gonna take a ton of time (unless the current runner keeps going on it).

So basically, accept this sucker as fast as you can.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This beats the current time by over 3 minutes. I will punish anyone who thinks this run should be rejected.
Thread title:  
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Reason: This beats the current time by over 3 minutes. I will punish anyone who thinks this run should be rejected.

Physical or mental torture? What methods will be used? You've got me interested.
I don't even know what the fuck this is
bonerific, huh? kids these days... >: (
Quote from Tiki:
bonerific, huh? kids these days... >: (
Says the guy who claimed he could jerk off to one of my times.
I don't even know what the fuck this is
I didn't say that. You must be distracted or something. Maybe because you're jerking off. Smiley