--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2008-12-02 08:11:59 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/MegaMan3.html

Sattik 'Tiki' Ghosh's single-segment run.

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
Cheating
This runner is shooting really fast, so he should tape himself firing so we can prove he’s not using a turbo controller.

That’s what I would be saying if this was Youtube and I was a clueless idiot, but it’s not and I’m not, so don’t worry about it.

Quality (Capture)
What you’d expect from an NES game.

Quality (Gameplay)
“x seconds faster than” = started from the same place.

TopMan and his stage get beat in the same amount of time.
Beats ShadowMan’s stage 4 seconds faster thanks to better maneuvering and crashing into less enemies.
Tears through GeminiMan’s stage 6 seconds faster. Moving faster through the water section is mainly what leads to this improvement.
See TopMan for NeedleMan report.
Slightly screws up the Snake Man fight, but overall it still goes 5 seconds faster because of better use of Rush Jet through out the level.
Spark Man actually goes down 2 seconds slower because of an uncooperative boss.
MagnetMan goes 2 seconds slower because of a botched fan jump and an enemy bump right after it.
Hard Man’s stage causes him to lose 3 seconds because the runner crashes into more enemies.

Does the MM2 boss repeats in a different order. Overall, 14 seconds are saved.

Finishes Dr. Wily 1 goes 3 seconds slower. This is because the runner misses killing one of those fish and it takes off around the room, so he is unable to hit it. It’s interesting to note that this boss dies out of fucking nowhere. After killing the rouge fish and then one more, the thing just sort of stops and then blows up.
ONE PHASE YELLOW DEVIL! Hell yeah! That’s 13 seconds saved.
Dr. Wily 3 goes 2 seconds faster.
On Dr Wily 4, the boss battles go fine, but there’s a weird glitch that happens when he beats Top Man that freezes the runner for about 3 seconds. There’s also some pause menu mistakes.
Both Dr. Wily stages after this get beat in the same amount of time.

Timing
You sent it with the message.

Importance
There are some mistakes in this speedrun, but none of them are really huge time costing mistakes. He only loses about 13 seconds total. Some weren’t his fault (Top Man glitch), while others were (rouge fish). This is 35 seconds faster than an already good speedrun of this game. The most impressive part is easily the one phase Yellow Devil, which is also the biggest timesaver. This should definitely replace the old one.

Quote:
Video/audio quality is good. No cheating spotted. The run itself is undeniably great. I expected it to be tikier (tiki ['tiki] adj when referring to speedrunning: a speedrun that looks near-perfect until the last 5 minutes, in which a random major mistake occurs), but the biggest mistakes were the slight mess-up in the fight against the Wily Stage 1 boss and the freeze at the end of Top Man's refight. They both costed about 5 seconds. Apart from that, there were a few (very few) sloppy sections and the menu navigation was subpar, but overall, the gameplay quality is really satisfying. The time gained is mostly due to a few revised strategies (especially noticeable in Snake Man's stage) and, of course, a 1-''cycle'' yellow devil fight.

It's a significant improvement to an already SDA-worthy speedrun. Accepted

Quote:
For most of the time, if not all the time, he was ahead of the old run. Some things softened his lead, though. He had some trouble with Spark Man the first time around, the first Wily Boss, and the final hit. In the later stages, he had some difficulty in the menu. He would pick the wrong weapon at first, having to switch to the correct one, costing some time. Some moves were questionable, like the way he avoided the Mama Snakes. But most everywhere else, he gained time. The biggest improvement was killing the Yellow Devil mkII in one cycle.

It's a very solid improvement of 35 seconds. What's there to complain about? Accepted

Quote:
Here is my comments. I had some time over today for this verification. But the Mega Man 6 run have to wait if I should be a verifier a few more days. I guess the other guys will do a good job without me because I am not very familiare with that game Tongue

Here is my comments for Mega Man 3:

I am Frezyman.
I where on my way to beat the old record. when This one shows up. I am pretty busy for the moment and do not want to delay the verification too much. Otherwise I would have done these comments a lot more serious.

First a question. Is jumping from ladders faster or is it just your imagination?

TOP MAN - The run starts good. a few new details is added.

SHADOW MAN - Terrible mistake in the beginning, loosing a second or two. The Protoman fight where good, The rest of the level too. the fleas is hard to hit. could had been better but I would like to say the final part where quite good. And a lucky boss fight.

GEMINI MAN - very well done. Switching to Rc early seems like a good idea. and using shadow blades for the flies is smart. I liked it. This time an almost perfect boss fight. Good job!

NEEDLE MAN - smarter use of the shadow blade. slides two times before using shadow blades at the start. Otherwise about as fast as last time.

SNAKE MAN - great discovery using Rush jet over almost the entire level. Jumping of thankfully jumping of the jet earlier this time =) Snake mans level may looks like crap. but it was not that bad to have the position in the middle of the screen when kill Snake man.

SPARK MAN - acceptable.

MAGNET MAN - good level, god protoman fight. But I vote for using shadow blade on magnet man. It is a better option. This way you can take him down with for hits too and also if magnet man jumps up to the roof.

HARD MAN - Good level, bad proto man fight. Wink One hit left when Hard man bang the floor. Good job!

GEMINI MAN (2) - Very well planned start. I loved it. it should have been one of the highlights if it is done correctly. Not as good Needle man fight as last time. This use to look as when I fight him Tongue

SPARK MAN (2) - I would like to say using some more magnet missiles to hit Metal man more often and faster. Using an e-tank is a good idea. Even if you are god you probably take a big risk fighting Quick man with half life. He is so random and will hit you no matter what. I think I have fight him at least 500 times trying to kill him with out taking damage. and I have not succeeded even once. though. I know it is possible with a lots of luck.
But this fight, just as last time where not very fast. I saw 2-4 moments when you could hit him but did not. maybe there is a reason for this time but your fight in your last run where even worse. Maybe some practice would not hurt here. I basicly kill him a lot faster.

SHADOW MAN (2) - I do not know why the heck wood man turn around. He never does when I do like that. Anyhow. Better strategy then last time. Those pits when using magnet missiles can of course be done a lot faster but it is a lot more risky.
Awsome. Now you take down Heat man as a man Tiki. Good job! There is one thing though. It is not a bad idea to take damage on those flames he throw up in the beginning and use it to give heat man the first hit without taking damage from his body. This time you had luck and got a lots of fillers so it does not matter. but if your health is low, then it is a good idea.

NEEDLE MAN (2) - good start and good and lucky air man fight. No screw ups during the last part this time. and the damage "boost" from the last needle where nice!
And holy crap, I did not knew you could kill crash man this fast. at least 5 seconds faster then last time Tongue On the other hand, Proto man where a little bit slower.

WILEY 1 - good job.

WILEY 2 - nice. One thing here. When you collect your second E-tank (Chicken ;)), I jump up to the upper platform above the tank and switch there to S. blade. This way I can slide more and do not have to fill upp the Jet. Saving some time.
Great that you killed the yellow devil this fast now. Though. I can not understand why you did not use the strategy I told you on IRC. But it is your choice =)

WILEY 3 - good. Jumping between the bullets of the second enemie this time.

8 BOSSES - I was surprised that you went right away to Gemini man. seems nice! You screwed up a couple of fights but it is okay. After magnet man you went to Protoman. Is it about as fast as switching later? have you timed it? Looks fine for me.

GAMMAS - The first one you got hit and the second and last one where far from perfect. I do not know why you did not use the snake trick? Maybe it was a risk...

Afterall. Good run. hughe improvement. 30 second or so. definately acceptable. I have been close to beating you old run. Now it will be tough and I do not know if I will make it to new year with all the dumb stuffs I am in to.
The run have some new time savers and better strategys here and there.
The recordning quality is good and I can not find anything that is not possible to do. I do not know why Wood man faced to the right. But I do not play exactly as Tiki in this fight either so it is probably nothing to worry about.
I like to read peoples comments. The not so informative comments the first time where fun. But now it is not, but It is you choice.

This run is obviously better then my PAL run. So take it down.

I talked to another verifier over AIM, and he said this run is a good improvement, but there are some thing that went worse than the last run (Spark Man), and he thought the Wily stage 4 boss order was weird. I can post the exact conversation later, but I'm at work right now.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement to an already good run. Also, Frezy Man approves this run.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Tiki: 2008-12-02 04:26:41 pm
I don't even know what the fuck this is
Wow, that was fast. I did the run like literally 4 days ago. I'll address a few general things.

First, I'm not stopping until I get sub-37, hopefully around 36:30. The Wily 1 boss was horrible, and very rarely, killing the last fish makes the game stop for a little bit. He then just proceeds to explode. It's weird. I was just really, really unlucky there. The worst I've ever had it was the game freezing for 15 seconds. The Snake Man level is faster in basically every respect. I'm sure just jumping over the mama snakes is faster. Thanks Breakdown. I didn't use your IRC strategy because I thought mine was easier, frezy Tongue there's almost no timing involved with my strategy. I might've misunderstood yours, though... you DO take a hit on him, right? As for Wily 4, the order isn't weird, I do it to save myself some time switching weapons. I just had like 40 brain farts and a crazy ass magnet man, causing most of it to be shit. lol @ "tiki", :(. I HATE MM6, OKAY?

Okay, now specifically at Frezy:

-Yeah, my shadow man mistake was worse than you missing the enemy on the way down Tongue (:()
-Needle Man could be faster with Gemini Lasers in the actual level. I'm going to test that out really soon.
-lol, I was hoping for something a little better than "acceptable" on spark man, something more like "almost perfect," but the boss fight screwed it over. Tongue
-Actually, I can basically kill Hard Man in seven hits. I'll have to do it in my next run. You just have to have about 5/6 of your health intact.
-Second Gemini Man level should actually have a faster start, I was out of practice and actually winged it Tongue but thanks Smiley
-Quick Man... ugh. That never happens to me in practice, I swear I fought him like 1000 times on emulator and all the fights were better than that.
-Wood Man... you should be able to just do what I did, he's never gone rouge on me.
-Yeah, I was out of practice with RJ on Wily 2. I actually meant to switch to RC and go through the level like that, but I think RJ is actually faster. I just basically did whatever I wanted, I didn't actually pick up the second E tank because I thought I needed it Tongue
-I didn't use the snake trick because it doesn't always work. Rush -> top always works. Pussy shit, I know.

Also, about the comments thing... uh... well consider these your comments then. Smiley

Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from Tiki:
Wow, that was fast. I did the run like literally 4 days ago. I'll address a few general things.

It's already up on SDA too. nate must be on a rampage or something.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Terrible run.  Cheesy

jk jk
I don't even know what the fuck this is
See, it's things like that that make me paranoid that you've got a 34:00 or something ready to whip out.
bläää
Quote from mikwuyma:

Quote:
Here is my comments. I had some time over today for this verification. But the Mega Man 6 run have to wait if I should be a verifier a few more days. I guess the other guys will do a good job without me because I am not very familiare with that game Tongue

Here is my comments for Mega Man 3:

I am Frezyman.
I where on my way to beat the old record. when This one shows up. I am pretty busy for the moment and do not want to delay the verification too much. Otherwise I would have done these comments a lot more serious....

Nice quoting mike Tongue

Im looking forward to see one more magnet missiles on Hard man then!
  Yes, I got hit two times on Yellow devil just like you. the point is that I do not have to move left or right after I take the first hit so it is less to worry about. It is not faster though.

As I said. I did not have time to verify this one very much. I just checked it once and some parts twice. Otherwise I would have done better comments then "accepted".
Good job and good luck with a sub 37. Now thise game have a worthy speedrun Smiley

And about proofs for fast shooting. I can kill the protomans even faster and I am sure Tiki can too. I will proove it one the SDA gathering and Tiki have (still have?) some okay videos on youtube if someone want to take a look.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
lol Frezy, I was wondering why you said, "I am Frezyman" after you said, "Here is my comments." If you don't want certain parts of a report mentioned, then be more specific which parts I should quote.
Back in the game!
Quote from mikwuyma:
lol Frezy, I was wondering why you said, "I am Frezyman" after you said, "Here is my comments." If you don't want certain parts of a report mentioned, then be more specific which parts I should quote.

Not at all to make fun of Frezy, but it really doesn't matter.  He's one of those whom I can tell who it is, due to his particular version of broken english Smiley
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
I can tell who many/most of the verifiers are just from reading the comments, and it's kinda unnerving. I think people can probably tell who I am too, because I don't care about disguising it. Also due to smf sucking balls, all the verifiers who get PMs can see who the other verifiers are too. Then again, usually it's not really a secret anyway.
bläää
Quote from UltimateDarius:
Not at all to make fun of Frezy, but it really doesn't matter.  He's one of those whom I can tell who it is, due to his particular version of broken english Smiley

hehe, I am way to lazy to go trough what kind of errors I do. But I get better and better I guess. I realised too that it was not a meaning in being anonymous Smiley

Mike: The quoting does not really matter. I just thought it looked weird. I thought it was obvious to quote everything after my "Here is my comments:"  8)
Cowabunga? Cowa-piece-of-fucking-dog-shit!
Quote from The_Quiet_Man:
Quote from Tiki:

It's already up on SDA too. nate must be on a rampage or something.

a rampage for all of the good games. mine is still waitingggggggggg. haha.
Talk to the Hand
Quote from UltimateDarius:

There are a couple other people here on SDA that have very, um, distinctive posting styles

Again, not to make fun of them, since I do the same thing, and English is my native language. See a message that has some kind of parenthetical expression after every sentence? That's me. Smiley
Jumping Turtle
Quote from Emptyeye:
See a message that has some kind of parenthetical expression after every sentence? That's me. Smiley (except for this one. Oops, nevermind, here it is.)

Fixed.