Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Yes, the real Mega Man 2 this time Wink (sorry Cremator).

Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MegaMan2.html

Seth 'andrew' Glass's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

This verifier would like to say he felt like an assclown writing down this response.

Quote:
First off, I'm going to say that this run is fucking amazing. The following
points I'm going to make are just possible improvements, meaning that if
someone DARES to challenge this run, this is probably what they'll have to
do. These points are in no way criticism of the run, because I basically have none.
It's extremely well planned and well executed.

Flash Man: To save about two seconds in the level, you don't have to stop at
the first two circles with legs. You should also jump up onto the platform at
the end, shoot the giant purple hopper, and damage boost on the guy that
falls out of it. The boss can be killed about a second faster.

Heat Man: He's a little slow on the glitch. Other than that, it's perfect.

Air Man: If you want to improve the run, this is not the place to do it.
Holy shit.

Crash Man: I think there's a faster way to get up that first ladder than
killing the metal things with the air shooter, but I'm not sure. He could
be a little faster jumping off of item 1, and there was a minor mistake
on the bottom of the tower.

Quick Man: He didn't do the glitch that makes it dark, which saves about
four seconds.

Metal Man: He stops for an enemy near the end, wasting maybe about .4 seconds.

Bubble Man: He could damage boost on that enemy that he blows the shell off of, and
he misses a shot before the big fish. The level could go maybe 1 second faster.

Wood Man: I can't believe he pulled off the zip. It's either extremely hard
or I'm doing something wrong. I can't spot a single improvement.

Wily 1: There are a couple of really stupid improvements I could list here,
but I won't. I guess you could beat the boss faster if you can fire faster.

Wily 2: I don't know, switch weapons faster? I'd say it's impossible to
improve this by any substantial amount.

Wily 3: I think he missed an item 2 placement, but he might've just been
screwing around. Wasted probably less than a second.

Wily 4: Could jump off the ladder and boost off of the platform in room
3. I don't know if that would save time, just throwing something out there.
There's a zip he doesn't at the end, I think it would save 6-7 seconds, but
it's really, really hard.

Wily 5: Quick Man fight is slightly slow. He messes up a little bit after Crash
Man's fight. Bubble Man fight is a little bit slow, as is Flash Man.
-I'm just taking notes here as I'm watching... by "slow" I mean "could be
faster if it was god damn perfect."

Wily 6: Final boss should be faster by 5-6 seconds. This is actually the only
criticism I have.

So yeah. As you can see, the stuff I pointed out is extremely small. Those
are the biggest errors he made in each stage, I think. If anyone wants to
beat this run, they've got their work cut out for them. Bravo, runner (Seth
:P). This will definitely be the best Mega Man run on the site, and maybe
one of the best runs in general.

Quote:
At first I'd like to say I won't even address some of the impressive stuff because it was done in the last run and as such are expected from any future runs, too, when it's done the same way in this run, such as the Air Man gap stunt.

Flash Man:
If I were to start nit-picking, I'd say a few of the jumps where the runner preaccelerated to a fall were a bit off, but instead I just say the stage went fine and the Flash Man fight was particularly impressive as the player didn't miss once nor got hit and still beat it about as fast as possible.

Heat Man:
At 3:14 the player warps from the bottom of the ladder on top of Item-3. I have no idea how this is done; I'm aware there are lots of things you can do with ladders, including small warps, but I don't remember seeing this before and I would like the runner to address this before the run is accepted, like how is it done and such.

Air Man:
-the runner cleverly utilized lag to glitch away an enemy using the birds
-the player lacks accuracy in Air the Man fight. Nothing drastic, but still notable

Crash Man:
-grabbed the ladder at 8:45, which looks more awkward than it actually costs but still notable
-Nice 1-hit kill on Crash Man

Quick Man:
-didn't zip in the first corridor, but I'm not sure if it was because the runner thought it was faster this way or if it was left out for some other reason. Doesn't seem to cost much, at any rate.
-the player could've changed the weapons during the first room of the second set of lasers, which I think would've resulted in a fraction of a second faster overall play of this stage.
-has trouble triggering the boss door

Metal Man went perfectly as far as I can tell.

In Bubble Man's stage the player jumps between two large energy refills without actually picking up either, which I suppose is possible in theory, but damn, I sure didn't think it was possible in real time.

Wood Man:
-zips at 16:10 in Wood Man's stage, which is not unheard of but I still find it very impressive, even though it saves only a second. It also makes it possible to pass both dogs without killing them, which is even more impressive.
-grabs the ladders at 16:28, lost maybe half a second because of that
-uses Item-2 very effectively & skillfully in the next room
-uses Heat Man's weapon against Wood Man instead of Air Shooter. The time is roughly the same and Air Shooter would've been a bit riskier.

Wily 1:
-uses plasma (the default weapon) instead of Quick Boomerangs. It seems like a safety precaution which I find odd considering the level of difficulty the runner has chosen for the rest of the run. The runner doesn't lose much time if any, but it all adds up.

Wily 2:
-pulls off the insane zip at the start of the level only using one menu visit to slow down the fall. Especially when considering the runner already is roughly twenty minutes into the run, it's simply astonishing.
-the runner gets lucky and gets only one small refill in the mole corridor
-misses a few shots and gets hit in the boss fight. Time loss is roughly a second

Wily 3:
-thanks to the unorthodox weapon usage in the previous levels, the runner can pull off a couple of nice Item-2 moves. Unfortunately the weapon energy runs out and the player doesn't jump in time and gets hit

Wily 4:
-the player does a zip using the screen transition and some tricky maneuvering in the moving platforms part

Boss refights:
-some missed shots, but it's perfectly understandable at this point of the run. IIRC Crash Bomb kills Wily's second machine in one shot (at least I think that's what the TAS did), but I suppose using Metal Blades doesn't hurt much, considering there's the weapon change if you want to use Crash Bombs.

Now, Wily 6 truly blew my mind. When they equipped Item-1 at the start of the level I was like "they wouldn't..." But they did. The runner did a zip in Wily 6 which wasn't impressive just because I didn't know about it, but because he has only one Item-1 left, it's in a fairly tricky spot (and zipping in itself without any aid from weapons isn't an easy task either, I think) and it's at the very end of the run, a run that has been doing almost everything near flawlessly! Again, the runner stops at the boss door. Might be forced because of the zipping mechanics, but I don't really know aboutthat.

In the run as a whole the runner doesn't jump from the top of ladders at times and stuff like that but it's so rare it's insignificant, really. I think doing all of them correctly might cut off a second, maybe two or so, but no more.

As for audiovisual quality, it's alright. The part in the ending where Mega Man walks and there are these landscape portraits next to him the music's synth sounds a bit odd; it should be continuous, yet it's chopped it's to parts. Video has some artefacts but that's just because of the bit rate.

Once you see the run you'll realize that I've been quite critical towards the run even though I've been mostly praising it especially in the latter part of the run.

Overall the run has extremely well planned & tight weapon energy planning (especially in the Wily stages) and lots of hard tricks and virtually no mistakes. It's also a substantial improvement to the previous run that I considered to be very good in the first place. There's not much room for improvement unless someone comes up with a new glitch or strategy that completely changes things, which I doubt will happen any time soon, if ever.

The run also clearly demonstrates why a separate zipping category is unnecessary; this run simply goes beyond what a non-zipping run could do, and yet there's nothing that really could be pointed as a game breaking zip, ie. that it'd skip full levels or something. I used to be skeptical about that, but not anymore. As far as I can tell the run isn't cheated.

Although this expression feels a bit too mild for this run, I say it should be definitely accepted, as long as the runner addresses my concern about 3:14. (this was addressed)

Quote:
This is an amazing playthrough. Not only are there the new zipping glitches (which look like they can be done with a little more confidence, but I'm only saying this because I've been spoiled by the TASes of MM2), but just about everything that isn't Wily Stage 2 or the Alien was performed better than the existing run.

On the Alien, he didn't properly spam Bubble Lead into him, causing him to travel more. The runner lost about 2 seconds here.

Unfortunately, the reason why Wily Stage 2 was roughly a second slower than the previous run is the new zip. This would be something to take out of the next run.

I also notice that there was less lag in this run. A good place to see this is in Bubble Man's stage. Where the 30:33 lags, like when the big frogs spit out the little frogs, this run doesn't. I don't know if this means anything, like if this could hint at cheating. I assume not, and there's no other signs of foul play I could spot.

Pretty minor complaints because, even with them, this run is still about 1:30 faster. I don't have an exact time, but it is in the 29:0X range. Fixing up the few mistakes, sub29 is possible.

Amazing run. Easily accepted.

Quote:
OMG that was awesome.

Video/audio seem to be fine, no sign of cheating (just abuse of the horrible system).

The play quality was very high.  There's some slight room for improvement, but the sheer amount of zipping used is amazing.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: You are stupid if you don't approve of this run.
Thread title:  
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Decision: Accept

Reason: You are stupid if you don't approve of this run.

Damn, that's quite an impressive rating.
Edit history:
Tiki: 2008-11-22 05:19:48 pm
I don't even know what the fuck this is
For a FUCKING impressive run.

Also, to the verifier who had a problem with 3:14: It has to do with tapping up or something in the right position on a ladder. I can reproduce that like 90% of the time. I used to know exactly what was required, but now I just sort of follow my instinct, if that makes any sense. Seth is a super master though so he probably knows exactly what happens and even how to go into the game's coding and fix it.
Edit history:
Practice: 2009-02-04 11:12:31 pm
The energy refills in bubble mans level: Edit 2: If a refill is falling while mega man
is jumping (moving in opposite directions) it falls right through him. So it may look like they just missed me there,
but this always happens simply because they can't hit mega man as he jumps. Try it, it's pretty simple. No luck/skill
involved on my part.

Grabbing the bottom of ladders: http://tasvideos.org/RockmanTricks.html#LadderTricks
This trick is littered through-out the run, not just in heat mans stage. The chances are if you've played an old mega man game, you've done this trick without even realizing it.  Wink

The new zip in Wiley 2 is actually not meant to make up time in Wiley 2 believe it or not. Remember, it gives me full Item-2
that I can use in Wiley 3.

Wiley 5: Ah, Wiley 5. Words can't describe how nervous I was.

Thanks for the criticism, it's always welcome.

EDIT: Just noticed a verifier wrote this (don't know how to do quotes): "I also notice that there was less lag in this run. A good place to see this is in Bubble Man's stage. Where the 30:33 lags, like when the big frogs spit out the little frogs, this run doesn't. I don't know if this means anything, like if this could hint at cheating. I assume not, and there's no other signs of foul play I could spot."

Actually I specifically tried to fix the lag in that part. I noticed Richards old run actually had less lag then mine on this part. My first assumption was that he gets hit, and maybe somehow that reduced it... but actually (obviously) it's the number of sprites on the screen.

1 Big Frog shoots 3 smaller ones, as long as there are no other small frogs on the screen. If 2 Big Frogs are on the screen at once w/o any smaller frogs, then 6 are shot at once, thus creating lag. On this run, I stand on the back of the Item 2 at first to keep the first batch of 3 small frogs on the screen as long as possible. Then I run foreward at the right time to get hit, so just the second Big Frog shoots his 3 smaller ones, and thus the third frog must wait untill that last one who jumps off the edge finally dies. I hold foreward as much as I can, so that the last Big Frog doesn't have time to shoot his three. If done perfectly, there should be 0 lag, mine was actaully a bit faulty there was a moment of lag at the end, but hard to notice.

Hope this helps - sorry about the confusion.
I'd like to chime in by saying this run was amazing.  It looked like a TAS throughout most of the run it was done so well.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
awesome run watched it twice.