List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Single-segment run with the DLC weapon.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This was an awesome run. I don't have much else to say. He destroys some stages that I usually fail at repeatedly. I was especially impressed with Commando Man's stage, that one usually gives me hell. Some of the boss fights seemed kinda iffy, and there were a few blips here and there in other parts of the run, but overall, there is nowhere near enough time lost from these mistakes to justify rejecting this beauty. ACCEPT!!! Also, Kudos to you for actually using the Lightning attack on Pump Man.. I could never get him to behave the way I wanted for that to work.

Quote:
First off, I'm going to rally once again about not using real time for this game. Because you can switch weapons without having to pause, this eliminates the main complaint of game time runs in Mega Man 9. True, you can still pause cancel weapons for some particularly tricky tricks, but there are very few of them and probably not worth the risk of doing in a single segment anyway. And if you're pause cancelling every weapon use like this was MM9, you should get out of the game right now. Also, no one has proven the final game timer to be inaccurate. Yes, the times on the save screen are fucked up, but that doesn't mean the full game timer is, people. If it was, all our final times would be in 10 second increments of each other. Which they'e not. And it is in the rules to use the game's timer if it's reliable.

Last point on timing I want to make: now that I've seen footage from the 360 version of the game, I notice the game chugs inbetween stages. It takes longer for stages to start and end on that version, about a second each time. Compared to the Wii and PS3 versions which start and end instantaneously. So if real time is used for this game, 360 players are going to be at a nasty disadvantage, losing upwards of 20 seconds just because they have to wait more. The in game timer would be consistent across all versions, and we know exactly what is tracked by the timer, so it should be easy to verify. Hopefully that made my case clear that the game's own timer should be used for this game.

Alright, now onto the run itself. Apparently, this DLC run has already been bested by a run that does not use DLC weapons. But I will give this run the benefit of the doubt and assume that new run was done after this run.

Pump Man --- Oop, he didn't do the first jump clean! Auto reject! kidding. The verdict seems to be up in the air as to whether the upper or lower route is quicker in this stage. I believe the lower route is slightly quicker in this case, maybe a second of difference. But if you're going on the lower route, is it really necessary to take the E Tank? It's not used in this run, and honestly shouldn't be. The stage itself is done well. The boss fight is sloppy though. The runner is mashing Screw Crushers out, which is especially bad when they miss. He's frequently aiming the wrong way. Don't spam the move and pray they hit, try and space yourself out better and read his movements.

Chill Man --- Again, the stage is very clean, but the boss fight is slop. This one is a little more understandable because Chill Man moves around a lot. But still, the runner is mashing on the shoot button and missing far too much. Space everything out, both the button presses and your distance from Chill Man. And if you do miss three back to back, weapon switch to get rid of them and fire more with little delay.

Nitro Man --- Same deal as the last two stages. It seems the runner knows the stages very well, but chokes bad on bosses. Nitro is the ugliest fight yet. Try to hit him with Chill Spike while he's chucking wheels. The bad luck at the beginning of the fight didn't help either.

Solar Man --- He doesn't turn around when taking the first bit of damage in the stage. It's common Mega Man knowledge to turn to the left if you know you're going to get hit so that the recoil spits you to the right. I hope the runner knows this but his left button didn't want to listen to him that day. Aside from that, the stage is alright. The miniboss is okay. Could Screw Crusher have been useful there? Bad luck on Solar Man in that he had to use a third Water Shield.

Commando Man --- Okay on the stage, only a couple small hiccups. And he waits for Rush Jet to completely form, he doesn't jump on it early. The boss fight was okay.

Blade Man --- Only things I can complain about in the stage are not shooting the first turret and the miniboss. Took too many hits on that center set of eyes. Either kill it dead or avoid it, dood. The boss fight was really good, only missing one double hit.

Strike Man --- He should hit the minibosses before their fists come down. Commando Bomb and Screw Crusher would've done well, and would've cut down the run to the right after the second miniboss. He wasn't handling the spiky soccer balls very well. He caught the second batch with a Triple Blade trying to kill the purple thing, and you should use Solar Blaze on the batch above the second miniboss. Good luck on Strike Man.

Sheep Man --- This stage is rough. I never liked the lower route at the part with the first two big screws. Falling at the first disappearing block room is a killer. Which probably hurts him twice considering the wasted Rush Coil at the last disappearing block room. And his weapon switching was slow throughout the stage. Sheep Man seemed a little slow too, what with a couple misses.

Wily 1 --- Should've jumped for the third hit on Gemini Man. Should've avoided that big weapon energy, actually. To kill that one Metool overhead, Water Shield would've been a bit quicker than Screw Crusher. Ring Man was kinda slow. Napalm Man was very slow. Two hits is a lot on that guy. In the room with the shield guy and Sniper Joe, I'd suggest a point blank Triple Blade so you don't slow down. Frost Man was disgusting. Slash Man was terrible. If the Chill Spike misses, switch to another weapon so you can keep the damage going.

Wily 2 --- He detours before the first miniboss to refill Rebound Striker. Could that be worked around? I always wondered if buying an M Can before going into the Wily stages would help. Probably not because the M Can the game gives you shows up super quick. If there wasn't that real time stigma, there wouldn't be any issue, though~ That totem pole guy wrecked him. He could've made it through the beginning of that second piston room without stopping. Yeah, choking on the last hit of the crab stinks, but any run where he doesn't spit bubbles is good in my book.

Wily 3 --- Did he really have to stop before that spider before the second elevator? The second to last enemy can be killed without stopping. He missed two times on the Block Devil, but he still killed it super quick.

Wily 4 --- Why didn't he use the weapon energy before the teleporters to refill something like Solar Blaze or Commando Bomb? Solar Man was good. I don't like breaking up the circle. Commando Bomb ammo might've been short for Blade Man, yes, but still, waiting till the end wasn't right. And he seems good on that fight anyway. If he didn't have enough for Blade, he should've used the M Can right after Chill, then jump up to Blade. Chill Man was really bad. You have got to learn how to weapon cancel. Nitro was almost perfect. But he choked at the end. Don't spit Chill Spike into him for one damage each time, switch to the buster to finish him off. Again, Strike Man cooperated. Surprisingly, Pump Man did too. He does not like to run into Thunder Wool often. He even got a couple double hits. His thing about taking damage on Commando Man sounds like malarky to me. Sheep Man was still a tiny bit slow. The Wily pirate ship was rough, that could benefit from some weapon cancelling as well. Second form was perfect.

Wily 5 --- Not the best final boss fight, but not the best pattern either. Still, it's possible to get more hits off than he did. When they're side by side you can hit him three times in one jump.

Oh yeah. Video and audio quality are acceptable.

I'm sorry to be that guy, but I'm rejecting this run. The first three bosses were really yucky and showed a lack of practice. They're reject worthy by themselves. The rest of the game got better, but not better enough for me. It's still rough around the edges, uses some questionable strategies, and the runner doesn't seem experienced enough quite yet. If the other verifiers and Mike agree with me, good luck in the future, runner. Cause Tiki's right behind you.

Quote:
Well there isn't much else I can add to Satoryu's comments (I guess you'll censor his name when you post this). Overall, this run has some really nice ups (Blade Man fight, Block Devil), but there are some clear problems (especially the first three bosses) that warrant rejection. I don't like the excuse, "I'm not good at weapon canceling." It's a pretty significant part of speedrunning this game, so all you can really do about it is practice.  I think I'd normally halfheartedly accept it, but there is supposedly a faster single-segment run out there that doesn't even use DLC. The dood's obviously got skill, he just needs to polish up.

Quote:
Audio/Video quality is fine.  Runner's stages are very good for a SS run, but some of the bosses (especially the first 3, which probably all should have triggered resets) unfortunately have to keep me from voting to accept.

If the runner can improve the bosses and resubmit, he/she will get an easy accept from me.

Decision: Reject

Decision: Reject

Reason: Sloppy first three bosses and lack of weapon-canceling.
Thread title:  
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Reverification, reverification, reverification.

Yeah, totally kidding.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Heh, there's also the fact that this run has been beaten without the DLC weapon being used. Tongue I somehow don't think this reject will cause too much controversy.

Now I'm probably asking for it, heh.
Looking back, I probably should have rejected the run as well. I don't think there was a whole hell of a lot of time wasted, but I do agree that aesthetically, the run looks pretty bad.
Oh come on, the first verifier accepted, I think this shows that this verdict is flawed. Examining the verifier responses more thoroughly, it would seem that the primary reason behind the reject is the first three bosses being "bad". I think this clearly shows verifier bias because they didn't comment on the other bosses which aren't bad. We should discuss and determine our exact definition of "bad" and get a reverification.

Kidding, obviously.
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2011-03-28 04:36:08 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
DAMN IT Angry I can't zoom in enough to read the fine print...

Kidding
I'm sorry, did you just call me out? I do not appreciate my text size being bashed. You should be shot.
Edit history:
Flip: 2011-03-28 04:57:20 pm
1-Up!
Look out he's on a roll!

edit: Heidman- copy/paste into your url bar.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Or hit the quote button and read it on the bottom ^^
1-Up!
Nice idea.
Or set a minimum font size. I know both Firefox and Chrome have that option.
Balls jerky
ctrl + mouse scroll
Quote from dballin:
ctrl + mouse scroll

Even with that, I still had to fish out my monocle to read the fine print.